Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,784 members, 7,802,434 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:19 PM

Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors (18382 Views)

No Programme Of Event Has Been Scheduled For Osinbajo As Acting President- Today / Osinbajo’s 48 Hours As Acting President - Punch / Gbagauns: President Jonathan’s Grammatical Blunders During His Campaign Speeches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by safeact(m): 9:18pm On Apr 14, 2010
I wonder why people are even wasting their salivas talking to d bushmo or whatever his name is!!! He wants to say to d president " fu"k to hell" before he knows he has insulted him. Aisha, whr ar u?
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 9:18pm On Apr 14, 2010
hbabe:

I understood what he was saying and so did Christine Amanpour; and not once did she need him to repeat his statement.  He is a Nigerian, an Ijaw man for that matter so what accent did you expect him to have? Dutch or French?  
As someone has pointed out already, he did not need an interpreter and that shows he communicated well.

Hbabe.

i also understood what he said, but his his style and method of speech delivery is not yet up the level of a president
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by violent(m): 9:25pm On Apr 14, 2010
mobuch:

Hbabe.

i also understood what he said, but his his style and method of speech delivery is not yet up the level of a president

So, speech delivery is now a yardstick huh?
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Sunofgod(m): 9:26pm On Apr 14, 2010
Mobuch,

The way you worded the post was not ideal. It comes across as criticism.

Hence the 'violent' response you recieved from some posters. Possibly some people are now blinded and will not see anything bad in what Jonathan does and says from now on.

But you have highlighted something that needs addressing - and hopefully Jonathan has genuine guys around him that will point out his weaknesses. Surrounding yourself with 'Yes men' is no good.

It was a CCN interview being broadcast to the whole world - so his English needed to be spot on.

And he could have requested the interview questions before so he could prepare.

If he was giving an interview in Nigeria to a Nigerian audience nobody would comment if he spoke the same way - because even if he spoke broken English nobody would complain.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 9:27pm On Apr 14, 2010
mobuch you want everyone to speak like an american before he or she can be certified speaking like a president abi?
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 9:28pm On Apr 14, 2010
Sun of god:

Mobuch,

The way you worded the post was not ideal. I comes across as criticism.

Hence the 'violent' response you recieved from some posters. Possibly some people are now blinded and will not see anything bad in what Jonathan does and says from now on.

But you have highlighted something that needs addressing - and hopefully Jonathan has genuine guys around him that will point out his weaknesses. Surrounding yourself with 'Yes men' is no good.

It was a CCN interview being broadcast to the whole world - so his English needed to be spot on.

And he could have requested the interview questions before so he could prepare.

If he was giving an interview in Nigeria to a Nigerian audience nobody would comment if he spoke the same way - because even if he spoke broken English nobody would complain.

thank you intellectual mind,

point taken
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 9:31pm On Apr 14, 2010
eina:

mobuch you want everyone to speak like an american before he or she can be certified speaking like a president abi?

everyone does not have to speak like an american to have a good accent, but the more educated you are, the more important it becomes for you to relegate your faulty accent to the background
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by namski(m): 9:40pm On Apr 14, 2010
@poster, I find it difficult to agree with you, much as I believe that Goodluck Jonathan could have done better in the interview. However my own view will be that he probably was a bit unprepared for the interview and therefore did not give the questions the required level of articulation. He no doubt, appeared a bit nervous as well, but having said this, the sincererity of his answers is what matters most.

On the issue of accent, please let us as Nigerians stop putting people down because of their accent. Even English people have accent - go up to north England and the accent is completely different from that of the south, yet you dont hear them make such comments as we experience in Nigeria over this accent or that accent. Please are we now the owners of the language, for heaven sake it is still a second language to us and as far as you are understood, it does not matter how you bloody pronouce any word.

If I have to rate Jonathan on his interview performance with Amanpour, I will give him 6.5 out of 10. He was ok and answered the questions he was asked.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Beaf: 9:43pm On Apr 14, 2010
mobuch:

everyone does not have to speak like an american to have a good accent, but the more educated you are, the more important it becomes for you to relegate your  faulty accent to the background

Strangely, your own spoken English is quite poor. How do you grade the title of this article; its almost Pigdin English.
In the above quote, you start a sentence with a small letter, you write American with a small letter and you end your sentence with a word, instead of a fullstop. Who are you to critisise, whereas the rest of the population understands what Jonathan communicates?

The sooner you close your gob, the sooner you will start making sense. Nigerians are not interested in any bullsh!t "good accent", most don't care if our president speaks a foreign language better than a foreigner. We a want delivery of change, period!
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Sunofgod(m): 9:44pm On Apr 14, 2010
People need to focus more on the grammar he used - not his accent.

Anybody who feels his accent is not right is a small minded TRIBALIST.

Period,

I will repeat that Nigeria past and present has produced some great speakers FROM ALL tribes.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by skfa1: 9:46pm On Apr 14, 2010
namski:

@poster, I find it difficult to agree with you, much as I believe that Goodluck Jonathan could have done better in the interview. However my own view will be that he probably was a bit unprepared for the interview and therefore did not give the questions the required level of articulation. He no doubt, appeared a bit nervous as well, but having said this, the sincererity of his answers is what matters most.

On the issue of accent, please let us as Nigerians stop putting people down because of their accent. Even English people have accent - go up to north England and the accent is completely different from that of the south, yet you dont hear them make such comments as we experience in Nigeria over this accent or that accent. Please are we now the owners of the language, for heaven sake it is still a second language to us and as far as you are understood, it does not matter how you bloody pronouce any word.

If I have to rate Jonathan on his interview performance with Amanpour, I will give him 6.5 out of 10. He was ok and answered the questions he was asked.

well said
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 9:55pm On Apr 14, 2010
Truly the honeymoon is on full steam.

Nigerians don't want to see anything wrong in someone they like. I hope you continue to like him as time goes on.

Goodlucks interview was a lil bit difficult to listen to and thats the truth.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by linuxuser(m): 9:58pm On Apr 14, 2010
mobuch:

my brother,
Obj makes  grammatical errors but he flows with the occasion, and his errors are excusable because of his  level of education,
yara adua has thick northern accents, but u and i know that northern accent is better than Southern Accent.

Man, Goodluck is  PHd holder, there are mistakes he should not make with his level of education and exposure.

Mr. Good English.  Even your posts betrays your level.  You are trying to correct the Ag. President.  Did you notice that you do not even know how to spell?  Loom at your quote above and pin point your own error yourself.

mobuch:

of course i failed JAMB once, so wats d big deal??

So you failed JAMB once?  How do we know its not 10 times.  Please learn to put off the rubbish in your own eyes before trying to take off that of others.  Make sense?
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 10:04pm On Apr 14, 2010
linuxuser:

Mr. Good English. Even your posts betrays your level. You are trying to correct the Ag. President. Did you notice that you do not even know how to spell? Loom at your quote above and pin point your own error yourself.

So you failed JAMB once? How do we know its not 10 times. Please learn to put off the rubbish in your own eyes before trying to take off that of others. Make sense?

na wa oh!!!!!!!!

The corrections and errors continue
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by AfroCynic: 10:07pm On Apr 14, 2010
As much as it pains me to admit it, I do think that Lucky Jo needs media training and some pronunciation lessons, he does not have to speak with an American/British accent but he is an educated man, he ought to at least pronounce the words right . His mien was unconvincing, and his posture left a lot to be desired.

I did appreciate his honesty, vis-a-vis seeing the president. I enjoyed the interview and I hope he grants one to the Nigerian media soon.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 10:10pm On Apr 14, 2010
Folks like Prof Jerry Ganna, Wole Soyinka, Ojukwu, Donald Duke, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, Chukwuemeka Chikelu are Nigerians who speak english clearly without oyibo accent
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Gadols(f): 10:12pm On Apr 14, 2010
@poster, get a life.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 10:16pm On Apr 14, 2010
We should learn to constructively criticize our leaders as the need arises, and not take everything they churn out, hook, line and sinker.

In terms of accents, we have the accepted Nigerian accent, which leaders like Soyinka, Chikelu, Awolowo etc. have been known to have utilized effectively well, it is not too late for Goodluck to take corrective actions on his speech methods.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Sunofgod(m): 10:17pm On Apr 14, 2010
Its not right to criticize accents though!

Instead look at his composure, content, and delivery!

His composure was not great.

His delivery was not great.

The content was ok - But that was dictated by Amanpour.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 10:20pm On Apr 14, 2010
We should learn to constructively criticize our leaders as the need arises, and not take everything they churn out, hook, line and sinker.

In terms of accents, we have the accepted Nigerian accent, which leaders like Soyinka, Chikelu, Awolowo, Donald Duke etc. have been known to have utilized effectively well, it is not too late for Goodluck to take corrective actions on his speech methods.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Osama10(m): 10:35pm On Apr 14, 2010
@ Poster

We are nigerians for all who care to know,take it or leave it and Bleep whatever accent you think is the in thing.

So you expect him to start forming there abi?Use your head man,we all understood the interview PERIOD.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by kokoA(m): 10:57pm On Apr 14, 2010
I strongly believe uncle Joe will improve with time. I have no problem with his accent though, but the quality of his delivery is a bit poor, that I can understand; he just got into the game. His image makers will correct all his short comings with time ok? So my piple, make we give am time. Na small small.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 11:23pm On Apr 14, 2010
He should have spoken in Ijaw or Pidgin and then gone with an interpreter to translate to english.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by SapeleGuy: 11:25pm On Apr 14, 2010
It is a sign of the problems we face that some of us are more interested in the style of the interview triumphing over the substance.

Most Nigerians like Goodluck for some of the things his critics hate such as humility, likeability and the absence of gra gra.

He will continue to confound his critics. Remember a few weeks ago some of you said he was mugu/mumu - he has since shown you otherwise. Now it is his accent.

Get used to the accent - you will be hearing more of it as president beyond 2011.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nigerd(m): 12:08am On Apr 15, 2010
SapeleGuy:

It is a sign of the problems we face that some of us are more interested in the style of the interview triumphing over the substance.

Most Nigerians like Goodluck for some of the things his critics hate such as humility, likeability and the absence of gra gra.

He will continue to confound his critics. Remember a few weeks ago some of you said he was mugu/mumu - he has since shown you otherwise. Now it is his accent.

Get used to the accent - you will be hearing more of it as president beyond 2011.

Yessooo
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 12:21am On Apr 15, 2010
some of those antics will only get him so far, there will be elections in 2011
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by jookco(m): 12:53am On Apr 15, 2010
I noticed that too, the guys is scared of looking at reporters, but with time he will improve. He does not speak like a Phd holder at all, if this is how Phd Holder's speaks english then why will I waste my time going to school.

In this recent interview he granted to BBC it was the same story he was kind of scared and laugh like mumu.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8619408.stm    play video
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 1:08am On Apr 15, 2010
our campaigns are usually one of press statements, issued by press officers

Nobody sees candidates untill they are elected. Sometimes even after elections we dont even witness their swearing in speech.

we need to do a little more than that. Because this is how we keep producing shy leaders like Yar'adua and Jonathan who claim to be chemistry scientist and Enviromental experts. But simple things like discussing policies and making a coherent argument is just hard like WAEC.

Please lets stop confusing mediocrity with humility.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Beaf: 1:55am On Apr 15, 2010
krendo:

He should have spoken in Ijaw or Pidgin and then gone with an interpreter to translate to english.

Stop sounding like something someone kicked into the trash can. Your criticism's all over NL are full of bile and the green monster's bite.
It seems you only registered on NL with one mission in mind, I have never seen you post anything that is not a criticism of Jonathan in all your 30 posts.
Learn to be constructive.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by maxdi(m): 2:02am On Apr 15, 2010
I speak, You hear;

You speak, I understand.

Anything else to communication?
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 2:19am On Apr 15, 2010
Beaf:

Stop sounding like something someone kicked into the trash can. Your criticism's all over NL are full of bile and the green monster's bite.
It seems you only registered on NL with one mission in mind, I have never seen you post anything that is not a criticism of Jonathan in all your 30 posts.
Learn to be constructive.

Its called democracy

You have no right to censore or modify my views on issues.

Let their be an end to this useless glossy honeymoon based on nothing. It is time to start asking serious questions of the new President.

Not every American like Obama, why can't I air my views on Jonathan?

It is called democracy.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Beaf: 2:24am On Apr 15, 2010
krendo:

Its called democracy

You have no right to censore or modify my views on issues.

Let their be an end to this useless glossy honeymoon based on nothing. It is time to start asking serious questions of the new President.

Not every American like Obama, why can't I air my views on Jonathan?

It is called democracy.

It is funny that you feel you can make a sideways poke at Ijaw people and think thats democracy. Strange.

krendo:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Possible Rift In Boko Haram / PDP Convention: Secondus’ Whereabouts Unknown After Appeal Court Ruling / Olubadan-Elect Lekan Balogun Didn't Endorse Tinubu - Olori

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.