Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,373 members, 7,781,046 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:01 AM

BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe (38194 Views)

HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe / Diary Of The "Other Woman" / Short Story - The Other Woman's Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by just2day: 8:37pm On Apr 29, 2018
Adamummya:
nice one

Thank you for your favorable words.

After mulling over how to compress/wrapup the story, dealing with technical issues and travelling to villages without internet, I think I should be able to resume every other day releases till this story is finished.

Thanks to all the readers for your forced patience

1 Like

Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by just2day: 8:48pm On Apr 29, 2018
In the world of dreams none can come between us

BISI – THE OTHER WOMAN CH 40

Papers lay strewn covering every inch of the table. Namdi sat at his chair, two fingers rubbing his temple in an attempt to stave an impending headache. The fire marshals report on the fire had come in that morning. After slogging through pages of bureaucratic nonsense he had seen the definitive conclusion. An electrical outlet had been the spark.

It had been a busy day. Between ordering the mahogany door to replace the current front entrance of their home and fielding the many many well wishes of his co-workers, he found little time to relax. How they had found out about his condition left him perplexed. At first he suspected his father in law but it just wasn’t the style of the man. Pushing the thought aside, he fiddled with the controls at his desk to increase the opacity of the floor to ceiling windows that covered one wall of his office. His goal, to let in some natural light to brighten the stifling atmosphere. Rather than sunlight he was greeted with a city at night.

Surprised Namdi reached for his phone to confirm what nature had already stated. In a hurry he packed his things. Ignoring the papers still scattered on his desk he made his way out the office, his thumb in a flurry of motion as he ordered an uber. Closing the door to his office he noticed the quiet of an empty building floor. Being last in the office had not happened in ages. It was at that moment he realized he would not want to give up this life. Walking to the elevator his thoughts returned to Zainab and their morning together. Reaching into his pocket he brought out the ribbon she had stuffed into it, his fingers holding onto it tightly. She was probably at home now waiting for him. With a ding the elevator doors opened. It was not empty.

In front of Namdi was one who had ceased to be a stranger. In her hands was a pair of shoes he was familiar with. They were his, forgotten in a time when his mind had buckled. There were no words spoken, merely an exchange of a gaze that held in it more information than speech could contain. A connection brought into existence only through the union of two bodies in carnal bliss.

Bisi swept past him, a storm of fragrance lingering in her wake. She did not look back, an underlying tacit agreement thick in the air, leaving a trail for him to follow.

Namdi stood there in front of the open elevator knowing he only needed to take a step forward into its open maw. With a ding the doors began to close. It was salvation he both wanted to grasp and needed to let slip away. The allure of the forbidden fruit having too strong a hold for one to step from. The mind rationalizes to fulfill one’s desires. In his fingers the ribbon remained firmly clasped as he followed the fragrance to his office.

Within, she set herself before the glass; staring out into the city, her reflection faint and as beautiful as the physical specimen she was. An untamed forest of hair stood up, adding a wildness to her. A wildness he had both seen and experienced. Much of her smooth caramel colored back and shoulders lay bare thanks to the purple halterneck she wore. He saw no strap running horizontally along her back. Namdi remained at the door quietly watching, his shoes now resting on a stack of papers that had temporarily lost all significance. Her apple bottom remained covered by a black miniskirt reaching her mid thigh leaving the rest of her toned legs for the gods to see.

“The city is gorgeous at night.”

“I thought so too my first night here.”

“You should come look.”

Namdi hesitated, then slowly walked up beside her, an arms length between them. Together they looked out into the city unable to hear the sounds. Lights twinkled to rival those in the skies above. A long line of red stretched for miles over the water in the distance, commuters stuck in traffic as they raced home to empty or loving homes. The city beat a steady rhythm unlike the hearts within the two who watched from their lofty perch between the earth and the heavens.

“Met your wife today.”

Namdi’s soul shook, a million thoughts a second racing through his mind.

“She is even prettier in person. You never told me her name.”

A sudden insignificant detail suddenly held meaning beyond compare. From his fingers, the ribbon fluttered to land unnoticed on the floor.

“Zainab, her name is Zainab.”

twitter – just2days

email – just2day@yahoo.com

thanks for reading

3 Likes

Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by just2day: 12:53pm On May 01, 2018
There's a hope that's waiting for you in the dark

BISI - THE OTHER WOMAN CH 41

Bittersweet, a paradox widely accepted. Namdi understood it more as his wife's name slid from his lips in the presence of his, this other woman... Even now he did not know who she truly was. What he could not deny is the connection that existed between them. Had what felt like half a life time truly been less than a week? Namdi questioned, his eyes still trained on the city beyond the clear windows. 

Beside his still figure Bisi's lips moved, silently mouthing the name she just heard. Her eyes closed, her heart steadying. 

"It suits her. Have you told her?"

"I think she knows." 

Quiet, stifling and heavy, it held Namdi's heart in its cold grip. He did not fight it, his spirit seeking penance for the hunger he knew still grew in his soul.   

"Why me?"

He asked her with his gaze still on the city lights, an answer not forthcoming. Her hand reached for her tummy instead, a far off look in her eye. The same palm left and pressed against the transparent cold glass.

"If you had to choose between us and her..."

Namdi reached out to Bisi, stopping mid way, his arm visibly shaking before it fell back to his side. Words failed him. There was no change in Bisi, her mind fully focused on the seed deep within the reflection before her. It was like the words she spoke had never been said. A chasm grew between them as one awoke from a dream of pleasure and nightmare intertwined. 

Making his way to his desk, Namdi grabbed his shoe off the table. The heel had left a muddy print right on the Shagari logo stamped on a document outlining possible payouts for the fire. The brown colored the black and white symbol of a closed fist with the pinky extended. It always reminded him of the times he would make a promise as a child. 

"What did you see that night?"

"I'm not sure, it was too dark to tell."

"Whatever you remember could be helpful." 

"I thought I saw someone... but it could have been the shadows playing tricks."

"Fire marshal said there was no foul play."

"Then I guess I saw nothing."

To Namdi it seemed she wanted to say more. Reaching across the desk, he hit a button dimming the lights, a hope she finds comfort in the anonymity of darkness. The twinkling glow looked more vibrant. He waited, once again glancing at her outline. On her lithe neck he saw the glint of a thin chain. 

"It looked like she was running away."

"You mean 'he' was running away."

"No, it was a woman. Or a man with long hair. I'm not sure, I had just woken up, I could smell..."

Her voice faltered. Still she only looked out into the city, refusing to turn around, held by the gentle cover of darkness.

"I lost my mother in a fire."

Silent tears rolled down her cheeks, the mismatched memories of a child freshly unearthed in her mind. Her hand reached for the pendant hidden beside her heart. 

"If only I hadn't..."

Two strong arms wrapped around her waist from behind. Turning from the city she faced Namdi, sobbing onto his shoulder.

"I too lost my mom when I wasn't grown. She died in a hospital."

His teeth clenched when he thought of the night he had lost her. As she heard him, her heart ached for him; understanding the pain of loss making them kindred spirits.  

"He only needed to pay for the operation. The stingy bastard. I vowed from that day I would not live a life lacking..."

He did not say his last words loud enough for Bisi to hear. Pulling away from his embrace she wiped the tears threatening to still fall. From her pocket she brought out a card and pressed it into the palm of his hand.

"In case you change your mind, you can find me there."

Her finger reached up pressing against Namdi's lips stopping whatever words he was about to say. Planting a kiss on his cheek she walked out of his life for a time.

twitter - just2days

email - just2day@yahoo.com

thanks for reading

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 3:52pm On May 01, 2018
Permit me to say... Namdi is either a weakling or a freaking bastard. You have such a beautiful and loving wife with whom you have no dull moment and you obviously very much are still attracted to her yet you choose to fall over again for a woman who practically kidnapped and raped you. You have had words with your wife's father and you know the man wouldn't flinch to ruin your entire life and possibly kill you if you hurt his daughter yet you choose to remain stüpid. I officially don't like Namdi and feel sorry for Zainab.

4 Likes

Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by just2day: 8:40am On May 02, 2018
INDUSTRIALFAN:
Permit me to say... Namdi is either a weakling or a freaking bastard. You have such a beautiful and loving wife with whom you have no dull moment and you obviously very much are still attracted to her yet you choose to fall over again for a woman who practically kidnapped and raped you. You have had words with your wife's father and you know the man wouldn't flinch to ruin your entire life and possibly kill you if you hurt his daughter yet you choose to remain stüpid. I officially don't like Namdi and feel sorry for Zainab.

Lolz, I think he might have the tendency to be both. Each time, he holds onto that ribbon, intent on staying true, only for the slightest temptation to make him forget. When I started writing this, I intended for Zainab to be the villain and Namdi to be the victim. As decisions were made by the characters it didn't turn out quite like that.

Thanks for the summary; for following and noticing the minute details

1 Like

Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 8:08pm On May 03, 2018
just2day:

Lolz, I think he might have the tendency to be both. Each time, he holds onto that ribbon, intent on staying true, only for the slightest temptation to make him forget. When I started writing this, I intended for Zainab to be the villain and Namdi to be the victim. As decisions were made by the characters it didn't turn out quite like that.

Thanks for the summary; for following and noticing the minute details
nah... I love Zainab just the way she is... Don't make her evil abeg...
Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by just2day: 8:08pm On May 03, 2018
Like sand he slipped through my fingers

BISI - THE OTHER WOMAN CH 42

Within that office Namdi lingered. Outside the windows the lights disappeared, the city plunged into darkness. It now mirrored what lay within Namdi's office and heart. Still he saw not the path to which he should tread. In that dimly lit office he remained, staring out into the darkened city looking for answers.

Above, the universe shined brighter hovering over the blackened city, remaining silent to Namdi's prodding questions; finding them insignificant. It did not take long for much of the city to come back to life, alternate sources of power kicking in. A rare occurrence this was not, barely bringing a pause to the night. His phone buzzed. It was the uber he ordered passing along its impatience.

Standing in front of the elevator, he changed his mind upon hearing the ding, heading for the stairs. A single bulb hung at each floor, the doors requiring a key card to access. Having never taken the effort to ask why the elevator required no key card but the stair entrances did, Namdi did not give it a second thought today. Looking down he could see the steps winding their way to the hard ground. "There are two ways down", he thought. A thin film of dust coated the railing, dirtying his palm as he made his way from floor to floor.

With a hum, the door swung open to the swipe of his ID card. The cool night air was brisk and fresh; in stark contrast to the recycled artificially controlled climate he had been in for the better part of the day. In front of the building was a black Camry, the engine still running. Reaching the front passenger door, Namdi looked once more at the Shagari name on top the building before setting foot into the car.

Settling himself in the padded seat, Namdi hoped this would not be one of those talkative Uber drivers. He was far from the mood required for conversation, only hoping to take the chance to brood. With a single knuckle he began to tap a slow rhythm against the car window. 

"It's okay, you can laugh, I can see you need it."

Namdi's eyes closed, hoping his lack of a response would deter the driver from pursuing further conversation. 

"I won't be angry, all my other passengers have laughed."

At this point Namdi couldn't hide a puzzled expression creeping unto his features. Giving in he critically appraised his driver but nothing came to mind.

"Do you have any cigarettes?"

"You can check the glove box."

Opening the glove box Namdi found an unopened pack of White London. Turning to the center console he primed the cigarette lighter.

"You don't look like a smoker."

"Neither do you."

"Why then the pack of smokes?"

"Just in case... Do you feel free enough to laugh now?"

"Pray tell, why should I laugh?"

"You don't recognize me?"

"Should I? You don't look handsome enough to be a movie star."

The driver laughed.

"Maybe that's why she said no. You really haven't seen the video?"

"Tired of going in circles. What video?"

"I proposed to my girlfriend at the mall a few days ago."

His words struck a chord with Namdi.

"Wait, did she walk away?"

"So you have seen the video."

"Aren't you rich? What are you doing driving Uber?"

"I know it might seem strange but it's to meet people."

"There are easier ways to meet people; normal ways."

"Maybe, but it is not quite the same."

"Does that mean you won't be charging me for this ride."

He took his eyes off the road to look at Namdi and laughed. It was infectious, sending Namdi into a light chortle. The burden he carried lightened a little. 

"How are you able to laugh like this when your life was turned upside down only a few days ago?"

"Wish I could say it was easy. A little piece of me died that day as I watched her back get farther and farther away..."

"It's okay, you don't have to relive it."

"I use to think like that. Forget it ever happen, block it from my mind, forget her. It was all my friends knew to say."

It grew quiet in the car. Namdi turned back to the window, tapping out a soft rhythm. The cigarette lighter popped out.

"I can't forget her... Even now I see her, hear the tinkle of her voice, feel the heat of her touch... Have you ever loved someone so deeply you would...?"

The question hung still in the air unanswered, the world outside moving on regardless. With a nail Namdi tore into the cigarette pack, freeing a stick from its cage. Pressing the lighter against the end he took a deep drag, the nicotine coating his lungs. Out came the smoke, tumbling and swirling in the artificially maintained air. His hand reached out, his eyes seeing Zainab within the tendrils of smoke. 

twitter - @just2days

Thanks for reading

3 Likes

Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by just2day: 3:53pm On May 05, 2018
I am brave, I am bruised, I am whom I'm meant to be

TANGENT - To those readers who have been with me since the start, now that the end is nearly in sight I'd like to say thank you for sticking it out. For those who joined along the way, your additions were a source of encouragement. And to the commenters and that person who has been liking the chapters, your actions have more than once pushed me to keep my pen moving. Thanks   

BISI - THE OTHER WOMAN CH 43

Gone was the moon, hidden behind pregnant clouds rolling in from the deep. Lightning streaked through the air, thin branches shooting out, searching, seeking for what mortals cannot fathom. Its brilliance lit up the city, among which was a man standing in front of a wrought iron gate watching the red lights of a car fade into the night as he crushed a cigarette beneath his heel.

The gate swung open, recognizing it's master, wishing to please. In the distance Namdi saw home blending with the night, the gravel driveway unlit. Through the gate he took a heavy step, the first of many, a firm understanding the end of this path would change everything.

In his heart Namdi was not an evil man, or so he told himself, his head unable to lift high enough to search the skies. Trudging along the path, the gravel crunching beneath his shoe, he thought of how similar this walk was to the hallway of the hospital on that fateful day. 

Slipping past the gossiping nurses had not been difficult, few truly see a child. All he had to do was make it through a dark hallway containing odors of disinfectant sickness and death. The power had gone out in the hospital, the backup generator taking its time. He had never been one of those kids who feared the dark but there was something about that stretch of tiled floor and the red glow of emergency lights which forced him to take a step back while entertaining thoughts of turning tail. Something stronger held him, dousing the fear, replacing it with a courage born of the unfathomable love between mother and child. 

Each step he took was heavier than the last, his body hugging the wall, his chattering teeth betraying a cold not born of the weather. At the end of the hallway he could see his goal. Double doors leading to the ward he knew she would be. Though his mind urged to go faster, his feet refused to listen. It was already a small miracle he didn't just cower on the spot. Closer and closer the double doors came, till he was only a few steps away. Thoughts of lying in bed with her, arms smelling of cocoa butter wrapping around him further dimmed the fear he still harbored as warmth took over. The double doors swung open, not by his hands.

A gurney swept out, a doctor and team of nurses guiding its path, their passenger covered completely with a white sheet. Not a word was said about Namdi who currently hugged the wall. Few truly see a child. Not wishing to spend another minute in the hallway, Namdi walked through those double doors to find his mom, not realizing they had just missed each other. 

"If only I had been braver."

A grown up Namdi thought, unable to forgive himself for missing the chance to see his mother one last time. He looked up for the first time since this gravel filled walk. His heart steeled, his mind preparing for what was to come. Firm were his footsteps, though still heavy, lifting with a once missing strength. Lightning flashed once again and thunder hammered in the distance; as if in approval of his path. He could now see the car park. It was not empty.

A Mercedes sat there where his used to be, identical in every way, illuminated for a split second by natures power. Approaching the car park, a light came on, his eyes had not been misguided. "Her father" he thought, memories of their time on the balcony forcing his heart into a faster rhythm. The strength he had gained began to bleed away, fear replacing it once again. All thoughts of the truth died a pitiful death his mind racing for another path to take. Unknown to Namdi time had run out. 

The door to their home quietly opened with Namdi a few lengths away. Gone was the metal that once stood in stark contrast to the elegance around it. Its replacement mahogany possessing history. A door graceful, refined, melding with the home but still somehow possessing a certain unintended je ne sais quoi. Leaning against it was Zainab, her 5ft5 frame looking larger than life. Across the space of a few lengths they gazed at each other, each waiting for who would make the first move. 

twitter - @just2days

Thanks for reading

5 Likes

Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by Ann2012(f): 4:52am On May 06, 2018
Interesting story, well done @just2day
Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 9:24am On May 06, 2018
Now I don't like the air.... It's putrid.. why not allow the man of the house do his damn thing at his own pace? Zainab's dad is too involved in her family's affairs for a man.
Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by just2day: 8:07pm On May 06, 2018
Ann2012:
Interesting story, well done @just2day
Thanks for your chimeing in. Glad you are entertained.
Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by just2day: 8:10pm On May 06, 2018
INDUSTRIALFAN:
Now I don't like the air.... It's putrid.. why not allow the man of the house do his damn thing at his own pace? Zainab's dad is too involved in her family's affairs for a man.

Asin, it's like the only thing he got to do was propose and then say "I do" at the wedding. The rest was tightly controlled by Zainab's family. His job, his house, his car, where he goes etc though not enough time to really show it in the story. Honestly the father really just saw him as source of grandchildren lol
Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by just2day: 8:12pm On May 06, 2018
Chapter 44 will be out on Tuesday. Thanks for following
Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by ChisomDgreatest(m): 12:02am On May 07, 2018
what amazes most is how you have words at your fingertips. I really love the way you use the not so common dictions in your tale. That's indeed inspiring.
A nice story you've put out here. Kudos!

1 Like

Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by itsandi(m): 6:22pm On May 07, 2018
Interesting smiley Enjoy other interesting stories on Tushstories via

www.tushstories.com

#Read!
Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 2:07pm On May 08, 2018
just2day:

Asin, it's like the only thing he got to do was propose and then say "I do" at the wedding. The rest was tightly controlled by Zainab's family. His job, his house, his car, where he goes etc though not enough time to really show it in the story. Honestly the father really just saw him as source of grandchildren lol
lol... Baby farm tinz
Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by Oluwakemi65(f): 6:10pm On May 08, 2018
Nice work. I can't believe it's almost coming to an end. cry
Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by just2day: 10:43pm On May 08, 2018
As I lie by your side, I have no answer for the chasm growing between.

BISI - THE OTHER WOMAN CH 44

Blink and an eternity may go by. Namdi dared not, his wife filling his vision, radiant in the porch light. A rare blooming flower whose thorns he blissfully grasped, the reward of a divine fragrance more than worth its weight in blood. 

Around them the world continued, nature finding no weight behind their mortal battle. In the distance the storm had begun its fall, lazily working its way to where Zainab and Namdi stood. He took a step forward. The glint in her eyes grew fierce forcing him to a halt. In her hand he could see a brown folder. What it contained, he could only guess. It did not matter, he knew she knew, what remained was how much.

"Does your father know?"

Zainab felt her heart bleed. Of all the words she thought Namdi would utter; beg, lie, flatter, never would she have expected her father being his first thought. Among the emotions of pain, doubt, betrayal, another began to throb; Fury.

"Does it matter?"

Namdi watched her, hoping he would be able to find an answer within the lie of her lips. The pair told him nothing, leaving him further in the dark. 

"Zainab you know I lo..."

"Don't say it Namdi. Don't you dare say it!"

Her chest heaved as she shouted the words, thunder crashing to earth lending credence to her outburst. Shaken to his core, Namdi took an involuntary step back, putting him back beneath the cloudy night sky. His gaze on Zainab now wavering, more chains of guilt wrapped around his mind. 

"For months, Uwata na kai na would say you were cheating and I would be there emphatically defending you."

"It only happened once"

Weakly Namdi spoke the words, each grinding out like ofada rice with more stone than grains.

"And that makes it alright! Only fools love blindly, not till now do I truly understand."

Her chin tilted up, hiding the fleeting hopelessness from Namdi whose head hung low. 

"What is her name!"

"Zainab, it doesn't matter what..."

"You lost the right to tell me what matters. I want to hear it from your lips."

Namdi struggled to find a reason not to utter those four letter which alone are innocent but combined brought a catastrophe to his world. He failed, his mind bearing a strain he could barely withstand. Weak from the emotional onslaught, it came out in little more than a whisper.

"Bisi."

"Does she too love the way you call her name?"

He lacked the courage to answer.

"Zainab, please, I didn't intend for it to happen."

"So what, you tripped and fell into her? The astronomical odds you had to beat..."

"Just give me a chance to explain."

"Namdi, why should I? What have you done to deserve such a heaven defying chance?"

"If you heard it you'd know she meant nothing to me."

"Can you say that? Can you stare at the pain within my eyes and say that Namdi?"

It was then Namdi openly looked into Zainabs deep brown eyes. What he saw broke him, rendering him speechless. Whatever words he thought to soothe her, win her back and ease her woe, died a miserable death. It wrung him, ripping his insides to shreds. A pain so raw ravaged him, sucking his will, forcefully plunging him into a flood of empathy he had no way to defend. Not till that moment did he know how desperately she loved him, how completely she held him in her heart. His breath came out in a ragged mess, his brow peppered with beads of sweat. 

"Why Namdi, just why..."

Tears rained down from her almond eyes. As they fell, the edges of the storm reached where Namdi stood, its tears drizzling on his sunken shoulders, the heavens joining in her sorrow.

twitter - @just2day

thanks for reading

5 Likes

Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by just2day: 11:02pm On May 08, 2018
ChisomDgreatest:
what amazes most is how you have words at your fingertips. I really love the way you use the not so common dictions in your tale. That's indeed inspiring.
A nice story you've put out here. Kudos!

You sir are too kind. Your words are noted and much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time and making the extra effort to say them.

1 Like

Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by just2day: 11:09pm On May 08, 2018
Oluwakemi65:
Nice work. I can't believe it's almost coming to an end. cry

Lol, the lady teasing me about 'Short'. You had a hand in the story surviving to this point. Thanks

1 Like

Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by Oluwakemi65(f): 4:06pm On May 09, 2018
just2day:

Lol, the lady teasing me about 'Short'. You had a hand in the story surviving to this point. Thanks
Awww, you're welcome.
Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 4:08pm On May 09, 2018
just2day:
As I lie by your side, I have no answer for the chasm growing between.

BISI - THE OTHER WOMAN CH 44

Blink and an eternity may go by. Namdi dared not, his wife filling his vision, radiant in the porch light. A rare blooming flower whose thorns he blissfully grasped, the reward of a divine fragrance more than worth its weight in blood. 

Around them the world continued, nature finding no weight behind their mortal battle. In the distance the storm had begun its fall, lazily working its way to where Zainab and Namdi stood. He took a step forward. The glint in her eyes grew fierce forcing him to a halt. In her hand he could see a brown folder. What it contained, he could only guess. It did not matter, he knew she knew, what remained was how much.

"Does your father know?"

Zainab felt her heart bleed. Of all the words she thought Namdi would utter; beg, lie, flatter, never would she have expected her father being his first thought. Among the emotions of pain, doubt, betrayal, another began to throb; Fury.

"Does it matter?"

Namdi watched her, hoping he would be able to find an answer within the lie of her lips. The pair told him nothing, leaving him further in the dark. 

"Zainab you know I lo..."

"Don't say it Namdi. Don't you dare say it!"

Her chest heaved as she shouted the words, thunder crashing to earth lending credence to her outburst. Shaken to his core, Namdi took an involuntary step back, putting him back beneath the cloudy night sky. His gaze on Zainab now wavering, more chains of guilt wrapped around his mind. 

"For months, Uwata na kai na would say you were cheating and I would be there emphatically defending you."

"It only happened once"

Weakly Namdi spoke the words, each grinding out like ofada rice with more stone than grains.

"And that makes it alright! Only fools love blindly, not till now do I truly understand."

Her chin tilted up, hiding the fleeting hopelessness from Namdi whose head hung low. 

"What is her name!"

"Zainab, it doesn't matter what..."

"You lost the right to tell me what matters. I want to hear it from your lips."

Namdi struggled to find a reason not to utter those four letter which alone are innocent but combined brought a catastrophe to his world. He failed, his mind bearing a strain he could barely withstand. Weak from the emotional onslaught, it came out in little more than a whisper.

"Bisi."

"Does she too love the way you call her name?"

He lacked the courage to answer.

"Zainab, please, I didn't intend for it to happen."

"So what, you tripped and fell into her? The astronomical odds you had to beat..."

"Just give me a chance to explain."

"Namdi, why should I? What have you done to deserve such a heaven defying chance?"

"If you heard it you'd know she meant nothing to me."

"Can you say that? Can you stare at the pain within my eyes and say that Namdi?"

It was then Namdi openly looked into Zainabs deep brown eyes. What he saw broke him, rendering him speechless. Whatever words he thought to soothe her, win her back and ease her woe, died a miserable death. It wrung him, ripping his insides to shreds. A pain so raw ravaged him, sucking his will, forcefully plunging him into a flood of empathy he had no way to defend. Not till that moment did he know how desperately she loved him, how completely she held him in her heart. His breath came out in a ragged mess, his brow peppered with beads of sweat. 

"Why Namdi, just why..."

Tears rained down from her almond eyes. As they fell, the edges of the storm reached where Namdi stood, its tears drizzling on his sunken shoulders, the heavens joining in her sorrow.

twitter - @just2day

thanks for reading
Why the hell can't he just blurt that he was drugged and by the time he woke up, he was tied to a bed and the unthinkable happened without his consent? At that point she will get interested and want to hear more. I believe Zainab's Father is behind the set up. Come to think of it,she took him out of a building owned by Mr Shagari without being challenged as to why he was behaving the way he was when drugged. She also was able to walk into the company building at night after office hours without being stopped by the security neither was he informed of her presence by the security which should be protocol. Mr Shagari and his wife are suspects.

1 Like

Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by just2day: 6:29pm On May 09, 2018
INDUSTRIALFAN:
Why the hell can't he just blurt that he was drugged and by the time he woke up, he was tied to a bed and the unthinkable happened without his consent? At that point she will get interested and want to hear more. I believe Zainab's Father is behind the set up. Come to think of it,she took him out of a building owned by Mr Shagari without being challenged as to why he was behaving the way he was when drugged. She also was able to walk into the company building at night after office hours without being stopped by the security neither was he informed of her presence by the security which should be protocol. Mr Shagari and his wife are suspects.

Lolz, thought about taking the route where he shares what happened; but, ever tried telling a lady you were drugged into cheating on her after she finds out you cheated... not sure how many would buy that line.

...Mr. Shagari and his wife are suspects... I can neither deny nor confirm your belief/speculation grin That said, you have a point about the access she has

1 Like

Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 7:49pm On May 09, 2018
just2day:

Lolz, thought about taking the route where he shares what happened; but, ever tried telling a lady you were drugged into cheating on her after she finds out you cheated... not sure how many would buy that line.

...Mr. Shagari and his wife are suspects... I can neither deny nor confirm your belief/speculation grin That said, you have a point about the access she has
about telling a lady I was drugged, I could do that and say I didn't say it before because I didn't think it will make any sense plus I felt I won't be in such a position again then further let her know it's left for he to believe me or not.

When I read from writers like you, I can't help but feel envious of your writing prowess..

2 Likes

Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by just2day: 11:04pm On May 10, 2018
I'd give anything to return - to when you might ask - to relive our firsts

BISI - THE OTHER WOMAN CH 45

Between their physical bodies was a few strides, but an endless depth separated their souls. He ran to her, swept her into his embrace comforting her like only he could. With a finger he wiped away her tears, with whispers he found and erased the pain. An out-pour of strength enveloped her within the safety of his arms. His heart beat against his chest ushering in a sweet warmth, driving the bitter cold from her form. A hand ran through her hair, lips kissed her brow, fingers stretching out to hold her waist returning her world to that of a fairy tale.

An arm stretched out, fingers curling together grasping air. Namdi's eyes once again saw the truth, a few strides still separated them. The short dream evaporated like all wishes do. His world was not a fairy tale, his story not a single path destined to end in joy.

"Zainab what do you want. Whatever it takes I promise to make it right."

Lightning fell in the distance, illuminating the night sky, sealing his vow and locking his path. In that second, Namdi knew not what his words would set in motion neither did he care. If he was to be damned so be it. He took a step, taking him out of the light shower. Firmly he stood, the distance between them though still significant, now shorter than before. At his words her tears had ended but the heavens' intensified.

"We cannot both continue to exist beneath this dark blue sky."

"Zaina..."

Her words froze his soul, reiterating a truth he stubbornly refused to accept. Visibly he aged a few years, his shoulders bearing a weight he would never rid himself off in this life. Namdi looked to her, hoping she would set those shapely eyes on him one last time. An object sped towards him. Reflexively he caught it, the feel familiar. In his palm a set of keys. Her bare back filled his view as the mahogany wood closed behind her, shutting the door on whatever hope Namdi still nurtured.

He couldn't look away, fruitlessly willing it to open. So much had been left unsaid, if only she would listen, if only he had shouted out the truth for her to hear, if only she could see it wasn't willingly, if only she, if only, if, if, if, if, if, if... A fist struck his jaw causing him to stagger, the physical pain clearing his mind. Taking a deep breath his feet moved guiding him to the Dakota brown Mercedes he had no say in.

Empty roads kept him company, other commuters having long sought shelter. Wipers waged war on the falling rain, a metronome keeping his mind in beat. He reached into his pocket, bringing out the card she had slipped into his palm. A faint scent came off it, mixing with the fragrance of new authentic leather, evoking complicated memories he struggled to keep at bay. On the 5 by 4 card, in simple letters, was a single address. He looked at the blinking dashboard clock and date. The time was right but it was set to three days before, the date taunting him. Pushing it to the depths of his mind, he punched the address into the cars nav system. It wasn't far.

Looking out the window he saw a house on darkened land, surrounded by nothing but untamed bush. Hanging his I.D card on the rear view mirror, he stepped out, running to the front door. A knuckle reached up to knock but he stopped, reaching for the door handle instead. It swung open revealing a poorly lit interior. An aura of loss followed him as he walked in without a word.

twitter - @just2days

thanks for reading

4 Likes

Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by just2day: 11:29pm On May 10, 2018
INDUSTRIALFAN:
about telling a lady I was drugged, I could do that and say I didn't say it before because I didn't think it will make any sense plus I felt I won't be in such a position again then further let her know it's left for he to believe me or not.

When I read from writers like you, I can't help but feel envious of your writing prowess..

Now to arrange for you to get drugged so we can play out this scenario IRL and get accurate results. lol.

You have a valid scenario. It was my intent to have him talk his way out of this confrontation and for them to reach this point after she has hard proof but had to be cut coz I truly have already gone beyond the bounds of 'SHORT' story lol

You sir are too kind and it's an honor to be given such a glowing review though I find myself still lacking but I plan to work up to it. Crafted words are nothing without the active minds of a reader. This brought a genuine smile

1 Like

Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 6:59am On May 11, 2018
just2day:

Now to arrange for you to get drugged so we can play out this scenario IRL and get accurate results. lol.

You have a valid scenario. It was my intent to have him talk his way out of this confrontation and for them to reach this point after she has hard proof but had to be cut coz I truly have already gone beyond the bounds of 'SHORT' story lol

You sir are too kind and it's an honor to be given such a glowing review though I find myself still lacking but I plan to work up to it. Crafted words are nothing without the active minds of a reader. This brought a genuine smile
and it is such a rare opportunity to get sth this good to read here.

BTW.... I won't mind the experiment o.... Just be sure the lady we intend to use is as pretty and alluring as Bisi has been described... grin
Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 7:10am On May 11, 2018
just2day:
I'd give anything to return - to when you might ask - to relive our firsts

BISI - THE OTHER WOMAN CH 45

Between their physical bodies was a few strides, but an endless depth separated their souls. He ran to her, swept her into his embrace comforting her like only he could. With a finger he wiped away her tears, with whispers he found and erased the pain. An out-pour of strength enveloped her within the safety of his arms. His heart beat against his chest ushering in a sweet warmth, driving the bitter cold from her form. A hand ran through her hair, lips kissed her brow, fingers stretching out to hold her waist returning her world to that of a fairy tale.

An arm stretched out, fingers curling together grasping air. Namdi's eyes once again saw the truth, a few strides still separated them. The short dream evaporated like all wishes do. His world was not a fairy tale, his story not a single path destined to end in joy.

"Zainab what do you want. Whatever it takes I promise to make it right."

Lightning fell in the distance, illuminating the night sky, sealing his vow and locking his path. In that second, Namdi knew not what his words would set in motion neither did he care. If he was to be damned so be it. He took a step, taking him out of the light shower. Firmly he stood, the distance between them though still significant, now shorter than before. At his words her tears had ended but the heavens' intensified.

"We cannot both continue to exist beneath this dark blue sky."

"Zaina..."

Her words froze his soul, reiterating a truth he stubbornly refused to accept. Visibly he aged a few years, his shoulders bearing a weight he would never rid himself off in this life. Namdi looked to her, hoping she would set those shapely eyes on him one last time. An object sped towards him. Reflexively he caught it, the feel familiar. In his palm a set of keys. Her bare back filled his view as the mahogany wood closed behind her, shutting the door on whatever hope Namdi still nurtured.

He couldn't look away, fruitlessly willing it to open. So much had been left unsaid, if only she would listen, if only he had shouted out the truth for her to hear, if only she could see it wasn't willingly, if only she, if only, if, if, if, if, if, if... A fist struck his jaw causing him to stagger, the physical pain clearing his mind. Taking a deep breath his feet moved guiding him to the Dakota brown Mercedes he had no say in.

Empty roads kept him company, other commuters having long sought shelter. Wipers waged war on the falling rain, a metronome keeping his mind in beat. He reached into his pocket, bringing out the card she had slipped into his palm. A faint scent came off it, mixing with the fragrance of new authentic leather, evoking complicated memories he struggled to keep at bay. On the 5 by 4 card, in simple letters, was a single address. He looked at the blinking dashboard clock and date. The time was right but it was set to three days before, the date taunting him. Pushing it to the depths of his mind, he punched the address into the cars nav system. It wasn't far.

Looking out the window he saw a house on darkened land, surrounded by nothing but untamed bush. Hanging his I.D card on the rear view mirror, he stepped out, running to the front door. A knuckle reached up to knock but he stopped, reaching for the door handle instead. It swung open revealing a poorly lit interior. An aura of loss followed him as he walked in without a word.

twitter - @just2days

thanks for reading
hmmm.... I see we re getting to the part where we began....
Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by Taniaa(f): 7:59am On May 11, 2018
For a first timer to come up with such a story and ends it in tragedy is a crowd puller indeed... an impressive feat exposing your budding talent.
Who didn't notice?
Ask the literacy giants
Re: BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe by davidgrace: 2:01pm On May 11, 2018
We are all following this story has kept me glued to my phone I am really enjoying it . Weldon op keep it up.
just2day:

Lol. Thanks. Looks like it is you and me on this till the end

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Along He Came. / Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter / Murica: My River Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.