Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,879 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:01 AM

Things Fall Apart - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Things Fall Apart (3366 Views)

Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) / Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? / Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things Fall Apart by Orikinla(m): 2:37pm On Mar 03, 2007
Who is the author of these words, things fall apart?
Re: Things Fall Apart by BlackMamba(m): 6:43pm On Mar 03, 2007
The title of the book {Things Fall Apart} comes from a poem, "The Second Coming," by William Butler Yeats, and is quoted in the frontpiece of the book:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.

- Wikipidia.
Re: Things Fall Apart by uzygirl(f): 9:27pm On Mar 04, 2007
Hmm, Interesting.
I would have replied C. Achebe without blinking.
grin grin grin
Re: Things Fall Apart by mukina2: 9:32pm On Mar 04, 2007
BlackMamba:

The title of the book {Things Fall Apart} comes from a poem, "The Second Coming," by William Butler Yeats, and is quoted in the frontpiece of the book:

- Wikipidia.

i did this peom in school and i did things fall apart too in junior secondary cheesy

we gave most of our teachers nicknames coined from that book grin grin
Re: Things Fall Apart by Orikinla(m): 10:43pm On Mar 04, 2007
BlackMamba:

- Wikipidia.

Right.
And I actually believe the poem has more depth than Achebe's novel.
The poem is timeless and speaks volume for even the chaos of these interesting times from Africa to the Middle East.
Re: Things Fall Apart by LiquidMind(m): 12:45am On Mar 05, 2007
I think William Butler Yeats got that insight of his poem from the beginning of the European medieval Greek Empire
How the European all most dominated the world with their wars and crusade to this very day,

Since then the world is never the same
Re: Things Fall Apart by naijacutee(f): 5:37am On Mar 05, 2007
You would never believe this but just yesterday, in church, the speaker read out the first verse of "The Second Coming" poem by W.B Yeats and I was like "Wait a minute. . . Isn't that Things fall apart?"
Re: Things Fall Apart by Orikinla(m): 1:59pm On Mar 05, 2007
naijacutee:

You would never believe this but just yesterday, in church, the speaker read out the first verse of "The Second Coming" poem by W.B Yeats and I was like "Wait a minute. . . Isn't that Things fall apart?"

Just as we were discussing it!
What a coincidence.
Re: Things Fall Apart by agnesoseka: 10:32am On Mar 27, 2007
i wish NTA can bring back the things fall apart series again i miss it, I studied it in senior secondary,quiet an interesting book.
Re: Things Fall Apart by sexylisa(f): 7:43pm On Apr 07, 2007
chinua achebe. omg u have made me miss my high scholl days in Ghana. we used that book for our english literature. that book is the bomb and i started reading it since i was in primary school.

(1) (Reply)

Happy Birthday Kayemjay / The Dark Side Of “christ Embassy” / 20 Tips for academic excellence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.