Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,935 members, 7,799,166 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:24 PM

Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. (45206 Views)

Yorùbá Proverbs, Adages, Wise Sayings With Translations / Awesome Wise Egyptian Quotes And Sayings From Famous People On Money/life / Yorùbá Proverbs, Translation With Morals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by AlexDeedat(m): 3:15pm On Jan 25, 2018
I have come across several funny proverbs, adages and Sayings but Nigerian versions are the best.

When I use some of it during dialogues, people look at me like......

Permit me to share some here as you may add yours as well to appreciate ourselves as Nigerians.

1) A boy who want to scatter market will first kick his mother's stock

2)He who goes to sleep with an itching anus wakes up with smelly fingers

2) A man who wrestles with a pig should not complain of his dirty cloth

3) Ashort man is not a boy

4) Nobody tells a blind man that the market is on fire

5) No matter how hot your anger is, it cannot cook yams

6) The frown on the face of the goat will not stop it from being taken to the market

7) When a man wakes up in the morning and finds himself being pursued by chicken should better run for his life cos who knows if the chicken grows teeth overnight.

cool If you swallow Alomo bitters without squezing your face, then you are capable of commiting murder

9) A man who throws up a public party because his wife buys and enamel washbasing is capable of anything

10)A person who sells eggs should not start a fight in the market.

11) Na when soldier slap you, you go sabi say police na your friend!

12) When a ripe fruit sees an honest man, it drops.

13) The one-eyed man does not thank God until he sees a blind man.

14) Fishing without a net is just bathing.

15) If you can’t dance well, you’d better not get up.

16) He who marries a beauty marries trouble.

17) A snake will always give birth to something long.

18) Fine words do not produce food.

19) The disobedient fowl obeys in a pot of soup.

20) It is the fear of what tomorrow may bring that makes the tortoise to carry his house along with him wherever he goes.

67 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by Don4eva(m): 3:23pm On Jan 25, 2018
Onye taa Azu n'ataghi isi ya, ihe otara enweghi isi. wink

IGBO AMAKA cool

102 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by delishpot: 3:26pm On Jan 25, 2018
Nobody tells a blind man that there is no salt in the soup.

5 Likes

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by BornAgainMay: 7:01am On Jan 26, 2018
cool

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by rxmusa(m): 7:01am On Jan 26, 2018
There is wisdom in some of the sayings
Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by Nobody: 7:01am On Jan 26, 2018
The water to quench a fire doesn't have to be clean.

Everything in life na management

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by Aldebaran(m): 7:02am On Jan 26, 2018
grin
Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by Nonnyflex(m): 7:03am On Jan 26, 2018
Honestly I expected more...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:04am On Jan 26, 2018
My fathers favourite

1. Eme'ma onye akidi, ya gworta odu(ozu)

2. If you are in a hole, and you don't raise your hand, people will think you are playing there.
i.e. if you are in a bad situation and you don't ask for help , people will think you are enjoying your situation.

18 Likes

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by chiefolododo(m): 7:04am On Jan 26, 2018
K
Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by Spar7tan(m): 7:05am On Jan 26, 2018
Only no 6 is funny to me, the rest are just normal.
Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by bigpicture001: 7:05am On Jan 26, 2018
..do not always assume that a pot bellied man has eaten..

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by Nobody: 7:05am On Jan 26, 2018
21. no matter the stunt buhari pulls, he's going back to daura in 2019

92 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by abiodun56: 7:05am On Jan 26, 2018
No matter how long d goatee of a he-goat is, d goat cannot shave in d barbing salon of a Lion.

5 Likes

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by kevoh(m): 7:05am On Jan 26, 2018
Chei, you did not add ' Fly wey no dey hear word dey follow dead body enter grave '

2 Likes

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by bigpicture001: 7:06am On Jan 26, 2018
no matter how a woman shakes her buttocks, it can never com to the front..

13 Likes

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by Preciouscheer: 7:06am On Jan 26, 2018
Lol

Always visit www.engineerosaz..com to get current prices of building materials in Nigeria and to engage a competent contractor for your project.

1 Like

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by SoftP(m): 7:06am On Jan 26, 2018
I am for nobody ; i am for everybody....

Meaning: i'm deceptive.

25 Likes

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by terrymason(m): 7:06am On Jan 26, 2018
Nice

1 Like

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by Follygunners: 7:07am On Jan 26, 2018
Did you refer to these as proverbs? grin. There're wise proverbs and there're foolish proverbs. Nothing proverbial about these for god's sake. undecided These are just imminent, obvious statements NOT proverbs grin.
Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by ikorodureporta: 7:08am On Jan 26, 2018
One OAP for Radio One 103.5 dey always let me laff with him proverbs...Aarab Akalogwu cheesy
Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by ayanbaba2(m): 7:08am On Jan 26, 2018
bigpicture001:
..do not always assume that a pot bellied man has eaten..

correct!

believing that Nigerian police is your friend shows that your brain cells need fertiliser for rapid development...

5 Likes

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by Bossontop(m): 7:09am On Jan 26, 2018
grin

8 Likes

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by QueenDeborah(f): 7:09am On Jan 26, 2018
This shouldn't have been on front page, its old, local, and copied.
Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by Flexy2vybes(m): 7:10am On Jan 26, 2018
Woman d red puz.zi she no dy red eye.
Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by press005: 7:11am On Jan 26, 2018
Don4eva:
Onye taa Azu n'ataghi isi ya, ihe otara enweghi isi. wink

IGBO AMAKA cool

chai, Nwanne, iji okwu

3 Likes

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by abiodun56: 7:11am On Jan 26, 2018
It is only d foolish man DAT would go to d forest to check d size of a lion's penis.

2 Likes

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by jerflakes(m): 7:12am On Jan 26, 2018
Submit

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by bangging(m): 7:12am On Jan 26, 2018
AlexDeedat:
I have come across several funny proverbs, adages and Sayings but Nigerian versions are the best.

When I use some of it during dialogues, people look at me like......

Permit me to share some here as you may add yours as well to appreciate ourselves as Nigerians.

1) A boy who want to scatter market will first kick his mother's stock

2)He who goes to sleep with an itching anus wakes up with smelly fingers

2) A man who wrestles with a pig should not complain of his dirty cloth

3) Ashort man is not a boy

4) Nobody tells a blind man that the market is on fire

5) No matter how hot your anger is, it cannot cook yams

6) The frown on the face of the goat will not stop it from being taken to the market

7) When a man wakes up in the morning and finds himself being pursued by chicken should better run for his life cos who knows if the chicken grows teeth overnight.

cool If you swallow Alomo bitters without squezing your face, then you are capable of commiting murder

9) A man who throws up a public party because his wife buys and enamel washbasing is capable of anything

10)A person who sells eggs should not start a fight in the market.

11) Na when soldier slap you, you go sabi say police na your friend!

12) When a ripe fruit sees an honest man, it drops.

13) The one-eyed man does not thank God until he sees a blind man.

14) Fishing without a net is just bathing.

15) If you can’t dance well, you’d better not get up.

16) He who marries a beauty marries trouble.

17) A snake will always give birth to something long.

18) Fine words do not produce food.

19) The disobedient fowl obeys in a pot of soup.

20) It is the fear of what tomorrow may bring that makes the tortoise to carry his house along with him wherever he goes.
the egoat that's chasing the wife of a lion love enjoyment more than is life.

6 Likes

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by benedictac(f): 7:12am On Jan 26, 2018
The anger of a small man, lyes in his belle

1 Like

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by israelmao(m): 7:13am On Jan 26, 2018
The frown on the face of Buhari will not stop Nigerians from voting him out!

14 Likes

Re: Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. by tolexy007(m): 7:13am On Jan 26, 2018
g

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The University Village - A Story / My Childhood Life With My Spoilt Neighbours / Diary Of A Jehovah's Withness..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.