Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,863 members, 7,806,449 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:42 PM

Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? (14511 Views)

Man Fries Garri Wearing Suit To Protest High Level Of Unemployment In Nigeria / I Have An Interview But No Suit/jacket / A Job Interview@ LASACO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by Samakus(m): 8:46am On Jan 26, 2018
Dear friends and hr practitioners, is it a must that one must put on suits to interviews? Is that the standard practice?

Informed opinions please.

Moderators take this to the promised land, let's get the views of hr professionals and those that know.

Merci!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by Mermaida(f): 8:49am On Jan 26, 2018
If u get suit, abeg wear. if u no get, starch-up n iron ur shirt.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by tmx21(m): 8:50am On Jan 26, 2018
Suit? Not for all interviews.

It doesn't boil down to your packaged-appearance but to your working brain and luck.

14 Likes

Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by Greene66: 8:52am On Jan 26, 2018
NO!

A friend of mine who knows a friend whom I am acquainted with, was called up for an interview and all he wore was a shirt, and camo shorts with slippers(He was broke)...

HE GOT THE JOB! (120k)

P.S He wears suit now though

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by Sleekydee(m): 9:37am On Jan 26, 2018
Samakus:
Dear friends and hr practitioners, is it a must that one must put on suits to interviews? Is that the standard practice?

Informed opinions please.

Lalasticlala take this to the promised land, let's get the views of hr professionals and those that know.

Merci!!!

it depends on the company, if its a massive coy, ofcus u hv to wear, if its all dose one man business, maybe just cooperate will do. I once lost a job at interswitch because I didn't wear a suit to d interview

6 Likes

Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by Samakus(m): 9:40am On Jan 26, 2018
Sleekydee:

it depends on the company, if its a massive coy, ofcus u hv to wear, if its all dose one man business, maybe just cooperate will do. I once lost a job at interswitch because I didn't wear a suit to d interview

Thanks. Noted

1 Like

Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by BiafranBushBoy: 9:46am On Jan 26, 2018
MUST you bath before an interview? No

MUST you brush before an interview? No

Must you wear cloth before an interview? No

Must you wear suit before an interview? No

Will it cost you anything to do all of the above? (If you really have them or borrow when you don't have?) NO!!

So why don't you just do it!!??

Please make sure you read Common interview mistakes that graduates make during interviews

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by dingbang(m): 11:17am On Jan 26, 2018
Under hot sun will you wear suit?

Nigerians sef. We like to copy western cultures.

6 Likes

Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by Gkay1(m): 11:18am On Jan 26, 2018
even if u put on suit nd d grace of God is not there, all your packages become nothing.

12 Likes

Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by omonlaa: 11:18am On Jan 26, 2018
Absolutely not compulsory, just a matter of presentation. But if it's a more liberal organization, like some multi-nationals, it might actually be a better idea to not wear a suit or anything close to formal wear as it could make you stand out, especially if you have the mental and behavioral capacity to back it up.
Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by money121(m): 11:18am On Jan 26, 2018
Ok
Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by uwajeh(m): 11:18am On Jan 26, 2018
When you run your own company you can allow interviewees wear pant and bra and boxers and singlet to the interview.

For the rest of us suits will do just fine.

1 Like

Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by Nobody: 11:19am On Jan 26, 2018
U
Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by philip0906(m): 11:20am On Jan 26, 2018
I went for an interview sometime back. I didn't even tuck in. Was interviewed by the CEO (he lives in the USA), an oil and gas executive as well as a big health care company executive. Flew my shirt but looked sharp though grin.
I got the job and the pay was massive. Depends on company though. Na all those yeye companies wey dey pay 40k per month go dey look wether you wear coat and the length of ya tie. undecided

27 Likes

Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by tivta(m): 11:20am On Jan 26, 2018
native is allowed for government jobs but banks and foreign companies prefer suit

2 Likes

Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by Enemyofpeace: 11:21am On Jan 26, 2018
I got my new job in a multinational company two years ago and it was just a T-shirt and my clean jeans trouser that I wore to the place of the interview. Some organizations don't bloody care what you wear. It's what you have to offer them that matters to them

8 Likes

Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by bluelaptop: 11:21am On Jan 26, 2018
It's not a must, I think government allows it
Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:22am On Jan 26, 2018
I don't think so...

I recall when I went for a job interview for an ICT role in a Maritime firm. I went there with a pair of denim (jean) and a polo shirt, matching them with a snickers.

Others that came were on suit, including the HR Personnel save the Director of the firm grin

To cut the story short, I got the job ahead of others...

To your question, it actually depends on the job and the role applied for! For Public Relations/Communications role, legal, Account, Banking etc, you need a SUIT!

But for ICT, Engineering, technician etc, you don't need a suit.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by Paretomaster(m): 11:22am On Jan 26, 2018
Have seen people wear natives dress, including agbada to interview
Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by Jokkarm2: 11:22am On Jan 26, 2018
I DONT HAVE ONE, ALL THE JOBS INTERVIEW I HAVE GONE I MADE SURE MY SHIRTS ARE CLEAN AND IRONED AND I AM WORKING AND WORKING.
Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by Nobody: 11:23am On Jan 26, 2018
It is better to be overdressed than undressed. Dressing can be used against you in a case of a par- where there are 2 candidates with the same scores. If you have a suit, wear

1 Like

Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by LesbianBoy(m): 11:23am On Jan 26, 2018
Nope.....the ladies can wear bikini angry
Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by SmartyPants(m): 11:24am On Jan 26, 2018
Wearing a suit is not compulsory in the sense that no one is going to chuck you out of the premises just because you didn't wear a suit. But it is common sense to appreciate that:

1. You are trying to make a good first impression
2. Other people are trying to make a better first impression than you are
3. Nigerian's tend to appreciate things like wearing a suit to your interview
4. If the culture of the establishment includes thee wearing of suits, you better wear one!
Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by donogaga(m): 11:24am On Jan 26, 2018
It's not a must.

I got a job without wearing suit to the interview. Actually, every other invited candidates wore suit.... I was the only one wearing sleeve and trouser, no tie. I was decent enough and the outfit was fit for purpose.

I don't like suit, however, I had to wear it during my wedding and that was the last time I ever wore suit.

Your outfit to an interview session is important, but what you carry inside is more important.

3 Likes

Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by passyhansome(m): 11:24am On Jan 26, 2018
Suit is important, but Grace is always more important

5 Likes

Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by Pavore9: 11:25am On Jan 26, 2018
It is not compulsory, just look smart.
Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by Vado(m): 11:26am On Jan 26, 2018
Not mandatory. HRs know when you are overdoing it by your looks or the manner by which you respond to their questions. They are more interested in your brain power and abilities.

Just look modestly corporate (well groomed shirt & tie) pray for favour and hope the interviewer likes your face.

1 Like

Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by oguinedavid(m): 11:27am On Jan 26, 2018
It all depends on the firm, Multinationals and first generation banks a suit surely else you will be the odd one,a well ironed shirt and trouser is okay for private and lesser firms!
Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by wunmi590(m): 11:27am On Jan 26, 2018
Good
Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by SpaceAngel: 11:32am On Jan 26, 2018
Not compulsory, but you have to find out the culture of the company before doing so. I've gotten a job with a german company before and I never wore suit. Infact I wore jean with T shirt.
Re: Must One Wear Suit To A Job Interview? by VivaDeAngelo(m): 11:32am On Jan 26, 2018
It depends on the type of job you are interviewing for. For some jobs, you may need to wear a suit. For some, a plain trousers and corporate shirt will suffice but you must wear a tie. For some, you may wish to wear the two and disregard the latter. For some, you may decide to wear Agbada who cares...... Or your chieftaincy regalia grin

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Next For The 2021 Nigerian Customs Applicants? / Maersk Line 2015 Customer Service PLI Test / 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.