Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,160 members, 7,780,127 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:04 AM

Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! (16282 Views)

Hameed Ibrahim Ali Flies Jet To Lagos (Photos) / Welcome To Hell (graphic, Very Disturbing Photos) / A 1967 “Welcome To Nigeria” Billboard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by 4Play(m): 10:59pm On Apr 15, 2010
EloSela:

@4Play

Well if you go on twitter and Digital spy most of the white Brits who watched the program  are praising the Nigerians because of the program showed them hard at work and pursuing their dreams. The Nigerians on twitter on the other hand are complaining because Lekki and VI weren't shown.

In my opinion there is no point in showing the rich Nigerians in Lekki and Vi when they are the minority as that does not represent Lagos.

Brits praising resourceful swarthy people, no doubt while quietly retiring into the night with their sense of innate superiority reinforced, is besides the point and is a fairly regular past time. Cue all those documentary programmes on the Masai and other African Bush people in Southern Africa. The fascination and praise can be compared to the same sort evoked whilst watching wildlife programmes.

You will agree with me that Lekki/VI represents an opposite end of the scale to the slums shown by the BBC. Neither is truly representative of Lagos. The problem comes when the BBC insists on solely focusing, with an almost religious fervour, on a particular picture of Lagos which reinforces stereotypes about Africa, stereotypes which are often divorced from reality.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by EloSela(f): 11:00pm On Apr 15, 2010
@labiyemmy:

The question is this:

Is a mere dump site in Ojota a balanced representation of the whole of Lagos?

That was just one part of Lagos. Stayed tuned in the following weeks to see how the other parts are represented. They may even show Lekki and VI grin
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Pk001(m): 11:09pm On Apr 15, 2010
I love it. It shows how had working Nigerians are. well lets see what happens in the remaining episodes
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by cap28: 11:15pm On Apr 15, 2010
Sagamite:

I loved that Orji guy.

Very charming and funny. Trying his best to provide for his family and appears to treat his wife with basic respect, obviously loves his kids.

His English is far better than I would have expected. He also has skill in working the camera, he engages it with his witty remarks: "When the $ is down, the price goes down. When the $ is up, the price goes up. The only difference between me and people that work in the stockmarket is the suit and the tie, and the fyyyyne shoes". LWKMD Crazy guy.

Sagamite i never thought id agree with you on anything but you took the words out of my mouth, my heart went out to Orji and his family, i totally respect the guy working so hard in such adverse circumstances, when i compare him to some of the feckless low life in this country who have children and refuse to take responsibility for their own children's welfare i realise that this world is completely upside down, when i look at families like this it saddens me this is why these bastards that  have appropriated the wealth of our country will never know peace in this life - im reading this book written by a former financial times journalist about his experiences in nigeria and theres a chapter that talks about the amount of money that abacha and his family stole - in one account alone abacha salted away £1b - imagine what that sort of money could do for the poor in nigeria, imagine the opportunities that could be created, we need a revolution, these people have to be brought to book.

i had tears in my eyes when orji recounted his upbringing, i just respect the man, the ability to stand strong in the face of so much adversity is admirable.

watching this programme made me feel grateful for what i have.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Sagamite(m): 11:15pm On Apr 15, 2010
The programme makers actually helped that Vocal Slender set up a Myspace page. grin

http://www.myspace.com/vocalslender

Nice Track "Owo Yapa", I bet it will hit the clubs in London with a blast.

And the guy has released his track on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VolH1TnukM8
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by denzel2009: 11:35pm On Apr 15, 2010
I still think its better they portrayed Nigerians as hardworking people under harsh circumstances. If they had shown Eric doing yahoo yahoo after the dump shifts to make money, it would have been further dent on our image.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by SapeleGuy: 11:42pm On Apr 15, 2010
It was an excellent programme. A dignified response to the failure of our leaders. God bless our people.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by magicfairy(m): 11:45pm On Apr 15, 2010
This program shows a part of nigeria majority of us are unaware of. It shows nigerians hard at it notwithstanding the hardship and squalor. Orji is a man who stands far higher in status than your so called Ikoyi and Lekki people. The Orjis and Erics of this our world need not only to be heard but also seen as good examples of what Nigerians can do and be. I will rather teach my son to have the character and personality of Orji than of people like James Ibori, Orji Kalu, Lucky Igbinedion and co! BBC is showing it as it is!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by doyin13(m): 11:47pm On Apr 15, 2010
4 Play:

Brits praising resourceful swarthy people, no doubt while quietly retiring into the night with their sense of innate superiority reinforced, is besides the point and is a fairly regular past time. Cue all those documentary programmes on the Masai and other African Bush people in Southern Africa. The fascination and praise can be compared to the same sort evoked whilst watching wildlife programmes.

You will agree with me that Lekki/VI represents an opposite end of the scale to the slums shown by the BBC. Neither is truly representative of Lagos. The problem comes when the BBC insists on solely focusing, with an almost religious fervour, on a particular picture of Lagos which reinforces stereotypes about Africa, stereotypes which are often divorced from reality.

Na wa. . . .Has this Hawk lost his Hawkishness.

4PLAY is actually criticizing anything West.  shocked shocked cheesy
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by labiyemmy(m): 11:49pm On Apr 15, 2010
[size=18pt]I think that documentary is like two years old - if i remember, Fashola has cleared that Ojota dumpsite and turned it or part of it into a major park for the much successful BRT buses.[/size]
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Sagamite(m): 11:53pm On Apr 15, 2010
4 Play:

denzel2009:

I still think its better they portrayed Nigerians as hardworking people under harsh circumstances. If they had shown Eric doing yahoo yahoo after the dump shifts to make money, it would have been further dent on our image.
magicfairy:

This program shows a part of nigeria majority of us are unaware of. It shows nigerians hard at it notwithstanding the hardship and squalor. Orji is a man who stands far higher in status than your so called Ikoyi and Lekki people. The Orjis and Erics of this our world need not only to be heard but also seen as good examples of what Nigerians can do and be. I will rather teach my son to have the character and personality of Orji than of people like James Ibori, Orji Kalu, Lucky Igbinedion and co! BBC is showing it as it is!

You all have a point!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by bluespice(f): 11:54pm On Apr 15, 2010
@labiyemmy:

I think that documentary is like two years old - if i remember, Fashola has cleared that Ojota dumpsite and turned it or part of it into a major park for the much successful BRT buses.
^^^^ did you have to make it that big?
kmt
anyway, i missed the programme but going by what i have read here and on twitter, i say the response has been fairly positive
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Pk001(m): 12:05am On Apr 16, 2010
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Eziachi: 12:10am On Apr 16, 2010
Hold your horses; this programme is a series, so you have only seen a part. So don’t worry and stop pissing your pants, soon they will show the paradise of Lagos some of you are dying to see, then you can all go to bed and sleep sound with sweet dreams.
When I watch this programme what I am interested is the people in the film, how intelligent, witty, hardworking and sense of purpose, plus individual hope despite their surroundings. That will make you proud, that given an opportunity, a guy like the Orji in film will go places. Orji and his little family paint exactly the same picture of Chief Augustine Ilodibe (Ekene Dili Chukwu Group). That is how he started as a truck pusher and went on to become a billionaire owner of Mercedes truck franchise for the whole of West Africa.
But some guys are here moaning that BBC did not show them fake Lagos, they wish to see, while the real Lagos is somewhere else. I really believe that some guys in Naira land are children of those whose actions or inaction created all the lives in that dump due to their greed and stealing of collective future of the Eric’s and Orji’s of this world. You see them all over London with their unending college attendance without purpose.
Instead of whining, please be grateful to the BBC for spending hard cash making this programme that is quite educative and eye opening, which every Nigerian politician like the Bayelsa governor that was showing off his amphitheatre should endeavour to see. How you wish NTA can show real Nigeria to Nigerians and beyond.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by denzel2009: 12:34am On Apr 16, 2010
There is a saying that "Money made from doing dirty jobs doesnt smell". I like the never-say-die attitude of Eric except for his violent conduct of being an optician. He will be chepsing any girl after his manicure, with D & G shades with TM Lewin to match. cheesy
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Sagamite(m): 12:46am On Apr 16, 2010
That Muhammed! What a talent if it is true.

Apparently, when he arrived in Lagos 10 years ago, he could only speak Fulani. Now see his English, he even speaks with very good pronunciations.

Imagine the guy was privileged to be born in a family that was able and willing to send him to school. Only God knows how successful he would have been today.

But he made N2000 for the day and was very content and happy. That is the basic importance.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by presido1: 1:12am On Apr 16, 2010
I am of the believe that Orji and Mohammed are not part of the dunb family/community. They are paid actors.

I never know this kinda place exist in Lagos. God have mercy, how can people reside in such place, i better go back to my village and start farming and hunting.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Pk001(m): 1:26am On Apr 16, 2010
presido1:

I am of the believe that Orji and Mohammed are not part of the dunb family/community. They are paid actors.

I never know this kinda place exist in Lagos. God have mercy, how can people reside in such place, i better go back to my village and start farming and hunting.

I don't believe they are paid actors at all. Read about the people in that in the video. I have personally come across people like mohammed.
Mohammed, 30, is a cattle dealer at the Oluwainshola Cattle Market and Slaughter Yard on the outskirts of Lagos.

"I am planning to marry presently, some time soon. I think it is the right time. I'm 30 now, and I have sent a message to my family letting them know I am ready. They will arrange everything. Her name is Aysha. I have met her three times already, during my trips home to my village in the north. She is good, I like her, there is love and understanding and I don't doubt her at all,

"When the day comes, me and my friends will go to the north, and my wife's family will cook. W e'll gather for prayers, and then I'll take my wife to the house to celebrate the wedding. The next day I'll bring her back to Lagos, and continue selling cows in the market."

JOSEPH ORJI
Joseph, 39, is a scrap trader at the Olusosun landfill site, and lives 10 minutes walk away with his wife and two young daughters

"My business depends on the dollar. When the dollar goes down, the price goes down. When the dollar is up, the price goes up. The only difference between me and someone who works in the stock market is the suit and the tie, and the fine shoes. I've been working on the dump for 12 years. I'm a buyer. I buy from the scavengers, and sell to the reprocessing factories. Aluminium, zinc, copper wire, rubber slippers – all this is what I buy.

ERIC OBUH
Eric, 28, works as a scavenger on the Olusosun landfill site, the largest dump site in Lagos, and has recorded his first album "Send Them Come"

"They call me Slender, Vocal Slender, that's my music name. Because I'm very lean in the face, and because I'm always singing my songs. I have so many songs I still want to record, good songs that I've written, but no one has heard. Songs about divine love, peace and unity in Nigeria, and others which praise all the girls.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/apr/04/documentary-film-welcome-to-lagos-nigeria
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Eman07: 2:15am On Apr 16, 2010
lol, at sagamites'
Sagamite:

The programme makers actually helped that Vocal Slender set up a Myspace page. grin

http://www.myspace.com/vocalslender

Nice Track "Owo Yapa", I bet it will hit the clubs in London with a blast.

And the guy has released his track on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VolH1TnukM8

haha, this is too funnily nice n cool, the ppl on the documentary reinforced the quote- "a man's greatness is not based on his possessions; rather, on his person; possessions may sometimes be present as a result of the person". the documentary does give good morals although i will still say they were being patronistic towards nigeria tongue
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by shotster50(m): 6:48am On Apr 16, 2010
We Nigerians are always very touchy when it comes to documentaries about Nigeria , most especially Lagos. I dont really undrestand why some people here have a problem with what the BBC are showing when it is a series.

Nigerians arent the only country the foreign media base their documentaries on. Does anybody remeber the slum dog millionaire Did you see any Indian protesting the fact that they based the story on kids from shanty towns in India? Lets just stop being hypocritical with this issue, after all, not even a lot of us here can afford a walking space in V.I and other affluent areas, yet we want that to be the sole image of Nigeria in the international media.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by ayettymama(f): 7:05am On Apr 16, 2010
excuse me people

what reality?? bbc is showing the reality

remember the witch child situation

if not for that, theyd still be pouring acid on young children

isnt it funny how the truth is bitter

while u all sit in the confort of ur homes thats what people are doing

in a bid to survive,
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by tubabie(f): 7:13am On Apr 16, 2010
shotster50:

We Nigerians are always very touchy when it comes to documentaries about Nigeria , most especially Lagos. I dont really undrestand why some people here have a problem with what the BBC are showing when it is a series.

Nigerians arent the only country the foreign media base their documentaries on. Does anybody remeber the slum dog millionaire Did you see any Indian protesting the fact that they based the story on kids from shanty towns in India?  Lets just stop being hypocritical with this issue, after all, not even a lot of us here can afford a walking space in V.I and other affluent areas, yet we want that to be the sole image of Nigeria in the international media.

It seems you have not taken out time to read the whole thread, what the vast majority are suggesting is a balanced documentary of the positives and negatives and not being perpetually shown in the negative light alone coupled with the patronising tone of Will Anderson.
And who told you Indians did not protest about the Slum Dog Millionaire?

Anyway, what I also garnered from the documentary was people portrayed as hard-working, united, honest , resourceful, organised and filled with hope.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Hatitude: 8:11am On Apr 16, 2010
I have some reservations when others who are not in my situation try to proffer solutions for my problem. Everyone complaining about the BBC going down to the organised Scavengers worksite to film should first ask them - The Scavengers what their thoughts and views are.

Some of the comments I've read reminds me of when the west constantly protest about cheap labour, exploitation etc because labour is being sourced from other "less privileged" countries. Ask the people of these "less privileged" countries and they are grateful that they have jobs and not only that are actually earning a living, supporting themselving whilst at the same time acquiring skill. They became the Chinas of this world given some years down the line.

I was certain from watching yesterday's program that if Slender hadn't yet gotten a break before then, the possibility was that things will start to move positively for him. People say that a good advert is one you can remember both the brand and product. I believe all these were achieved for Slender. This is for me is a success story.

I have since gone to the link on his MySpace page and the numbers are growing.

Joseph on the other hand has upheld the popular belief that the Igbos amongst us are still the most resourceful people in Nigeria. I respectfully duff my hat to you.

Well done Slender!!! Well done Joe!!!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by pappilo(m): 8:21am On Apr 16, 2010
These guys remind me of my dads former driver. He lived in Ajegunle in one room with his wife and 4 kids. He had to be at my house by 0600 which meant he woke up at 0400 (Enough times when he entered one chance buses). He brought my dad back home at about 2200 which meant he got back to his house at aroun 2330. He did the same thing Monday to Saturday for over 20 years.

When I was younger I didnt understand but now as an adult I wouldnt want even my worst enemy to live like that. Naija is very unfair.

Phuck Naija!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by tunnytox(m): 8:33am On Apr 16, 2010
Rubbish!! another form of western propaganda to discredit Nigeria, yes its true some ppl leave in this condition but what exactly do they hope to acheive with this documentary? I expect them to go over to some areas here in Manchester, London and several farm areas to make a documentary on how ppl live rough too.
why can't they make documentary on several good parts of Lagos? anyway its in series i'll wait till after all the series before given my final verdict.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by ow11(m): 8:41am On Apr 16, 2010
Nigeria sure is a hard place to live.

However, I think the 'they don't show us Lekki' fans should do a proportion stats and compare how many Lagosians actually earn above 200kpm against that number in London. Hell even someone on benefits lives marginally better than some bank workers.

Didn't they hear the commentator call the third mainland bridge a marvel of technology? Or was the documentary not done in Lagos?

Abeg, I am quite impressed by the resourcefulness of the guys in the show and maybe BBC can show us the 'middle class' Lagosians i.e. Bank workers and 'returnee expats' as well as the '419' and upper class 'govt thieves' in Lekki/V.I. So we can see how ALL Lagosians survive in that horrible place.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by AjanleKoko: 8:44am On Apr 16, 2010
I think I like the documentary. It was a fair and decent representation of one side of Lagos, which exists. And the descriptions were apt, and not skewed towards any form of denigration.
Let's take pride in what is ours. Those people are fellow Nigerians. Trying to pretend they don't exist is like denying them their fundamental right to be heard. My view.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by labiyemmy(m): 10:16am On Apr 16, 2010
A dump site life in America does not represent what America is - the same thing - a dump site life in Lagos does not in any way represent what Lagos is,
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Sagamite(m): 10:37am On Apr 16, 2010
tunnytox:

Rubbish!! another form of western propaganda to discredit Nigeria, yes its true some ppl leave in this condition but what exactly do they hope to acheive with this documentary? I expect them to go over to some areas here in Manchester, London and several farm areas to make a documentary on how ppl live rough too.
why can't they make documentary on several good parts of Lagos? anyway its in series i'll wait till after all the series before given my final verdict.

And what makes you believe they do not show documentaries about how the poor in the West live?

AjanleKoko:

I think I like the documentary. It was a fair and decent representation of one side of Lagos, which exists. And the descriptions were apt, and not skewed towards any form of denigration.
Let's take pride in what is ours. Those people are fellow Nigerians. Trying to pretend they don't exist is like denying them their fundamental right to be heard. My view.

I think from careful analysis of the commentary and the musical notes used, it is nothing short of praise and admiration for how people can hope and strive in the face of so much challenged.

I dare even say that it has generated a lot of respect for the underclass Nigerians that most of us (the higher class Nigerians and foreigners) would turn our nose up at and look down at. Now we see the challenges they face and how they handle their struggles (which originate from complete failure of govenrment and not being born with a spoon [talkless of a silver one]) with spirit, hardwork and dignity most of us "superiors" lack. We now realise they are not silly, hopeless and useless people.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Moyola(f): 10:48am On Apr 16, 2010
. . .I missed it! undecided
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Sagamite(m): 10:53am On Apr 16, 2010
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Moyola(f): 11:00am On Apr 16, 2010
^^hehe!. . .juz kudnt b bovvered to go there buh wiv dhiz link. . . Thankz! tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Gulak, Ribadu Carpet Fintiri For Joining Adamawa Governorship Race / United Nations Population Funds (UNFPA) Suggests Abortion For Boko Haram Babies / Church Suspends Barrister Inibehe For Leading Anti-Akwa Ibom Lagos Lodge Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.