Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,361 members, 7,808,256 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:27 AM

Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! (16325 Views)

Hameed Ibrahim Ali Flies Jet To Lagos (Photos) / Welcome To Hell (graphic, Very Disturbing Photos) / A 1967 “Welcome To Nigeria” Billboard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by busybody20: 9:05pm On Apr 15, 2010
Pls turn to BBC2 now, and watch a documentary on Lagos! sad

Just wondering what nigerians have done to BBC that they have suddenly developed so much interest in Nigeria

First it was Blood and Oil now this angry
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by tubabie(f): 9:08pm On Apr 15, 2010
I tire men sad
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Epiphany(m): 9:15pm On Apr 15, 2010
Watching it now, me sef tire!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by denzel2009: 9:16pm On Apr 15, 2010
Thats so unfair! Why are they showing dump sites?
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by kosovo(m): 9:18pm On Apr 15, 2010
Watching. . . wink
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by EloSela(f): 9:24pm On Apr 15, 2010
Is this the real Lagos or not? grin
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Kobojunkie: 9:28pm On Apr 15, 2010
How dare you ask that question?  lipsrsealed

The BBC aka the west is supposed to IGNORE the rubbish piles , and focus on showing pictures of VI, Ikoyi and all the nice places. Those who live in and thrive on dumpsters being filled are not humans worth showing or giving airtime since they do not represent the image we would rather the world focus on.

I love Nigeria more than anyone else, and since these people "rodents" do not fit into my picture of Nigeria's reality, I say they do not love Nigeria and are not Nigerians. BBC should stop showing non Nigerians as Nigerians. In fact, BBC should stop creating pictures of dumping grounds claiming they are in Nigeria. I mean have you ever seen people in dumpsters in Nigeria? NO, so why should the BBC make up such a lie?
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Epiphany(m): 9:33pm On Apr 15, 2010
@Kobo: Lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by EloSela(f): 9:40pm On Apr 15, 2010
That thief was lucky he was caught when the cameras were there.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by doyin13(m): 9:54pm On Apr 15, 2010
This is some powerful TV man. Really Powerful.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by denzel2009: 9:59pm On Apr 15, 2010
Dump has been good to Eric lol
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Nobody: 10:06pm On Apr 15, 2010
What a very beautiful programme.

Despite the hardships, I was encouraged by the dump and cattle worker's  :

- sense of purpose
- Unity
- hard work
- trust
- team work

These are people who work hard to make a living and feed their families. They have chosen not to steal despite the abject poverty.

Compare that to the Chavs and spoilt brats here in the UK who leech off the DOLE system ,while people like us work like donkeys to pay the tax that will support their lazy life styles.

GOD Bless Nigeria.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Nobody: 10:08pm On Apr 15, 2010
MY GOD shocked shocked shocked See lagos. Why are they showing this parts embarassed
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Pk001(m): 10:10pm On Apr 15, 2010
Just finished watching the last twenty minutes of it. But why do they keep showing only the bad places of Lagos! Anyway The dump was really good to Eric. I like the commitment of the dump guys to had work rather than doing something evil.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by EloSela(f): 10:26pm On Apr 15, 2010
It wasn't that bad was it?

Too often these types of people are ignored by the Nigerian media who only like to focus on the super rich or celebrities. I think it is good that the BBC focused on these types because not only do they make up the majority of Lagosians, they are also the most honest and hard working diligent people in the city. Unlike the Super rich who are most times crooks or people who have attained the wealth through dubious means or by mistreating others.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Sagamite(m): 10:33pm On Apr 15, 2010
From the very little education I got in my life, I kind of deduced that the BBC said this Welcome to Lagos is a series.

So can the "Sweep-it-under-the-carpet-so-that-we-are-not-disgraced" keep quiet for now and see what the other episodes of the series would contain?
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by chibaby5(f): 10:34pm On Apr 15, 2010
angry angry i dint get 2 watch it! sad sad
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by 4Play(m): 10:36pm On Apr 15, 2010
EloSela:

It wasn't that bad was it?

Too often these types of people are ignored by the Nigerian media who only like to focus on the super rich or celebrities. I think it is good that the BBC focused on these types because not only do they make up the majority of Lagosians, they are also the most honest and hard working diligent people in the city. Unlike the Super rich who are most times crooks or people who have attained the wealth through dubious means or by mistreating others.

I'm not a big fan of the bash the Western media campaign but my cynical side makes me feel there is a certain ghoulish delight many Brits have in showing Nigeria in a negative light. You talked about the Nigerian media always showing the positive but this BBC documentary doesn't redress this because its audience is a mainly British audience who already have the worst impressions, often comical, of how Nigeria is.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by labiyemmy(m): 10:42pm On Apr 15, 2010
Something is wrond in somebody's head.

Talking about Lagos and all they can show is a dump site? A dump site exists every where in the world - including America- scavengers go there to pick re usable items for sale - big deal?

Is a dump site and people who work on it all that makes up Lagos?
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by EloSela(f): 10:44pm On Apr 15, 2010
@4Play

Well if you go on twitter and Digital spy most of the white Brits who watched the program are praising the Nigerians because of the program showed them hard at work and pursuing their dreams. The Nigerians on twitter on the other hand are complaining because Lekki and VI weren't shown.

In my opinion there is no point in showing the rich Nigerians in Lekki and Vi when they are the minority as that does not represent Lagos.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by EloSela(f): 10:45pm On Apr 15, 2010
@labiyemmy:

Something is wrond in somebody's head.

Talking about Lagos and all they can show is a dump site? A dump site exists every where in the world - including America- scavengers go there to pick re usable items for sale - big deal?

Is a dump site and people who work on it all that makes up Lagos?

whole communities live on that dump site. They don't just work there.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by labiyemmy(m): 10:46pm On Apr 15, 2010
The question is this:

Is a mere dump site in Ojota a balanced representation of the whole of Lagos?
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Mariory(m): 10:47pm On Apr 15, 2010
Yes there are people living on landfills in Lagos, Nigeria. So what exactly is the producer of the show trying to tell us?

Well if you wish to contribute.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2010/04/welcome-to-lagos-itll-defy-you.shtml
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Nobody: 10:48pm On Apr 15, 2010
Who cares about the rich Lagos.

This is what we want to see, the real Lagos.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by denzel2009: 10:49pm On Apr 15, 2010
Nope, its a 3-part programme. They'll probably finish with the affluent part.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Sagamite(m): 10:51pm On Apr 15, 2010
I loved that Orji guy.

Very charming and funny. Trying his best to provide for his family and appears to treat his wife with basic respect, obviously loves his kids.

His English is far better than I would have expected. He also has skill in working the camera, he engages it with his witty remarks: "When the $ is down, the price goes down. When the $ is up, the price goes up. The only difference between me and people that work in the stockmarket is the suit and the tie, and the fyyyyne shoes". LWKMD Crazy guy.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by labiyemmy(m): 10:52pm On Apr 15, 2010
ok - lets say noone care about the rich people, but is a dump site a true picture of Lagos?

If someone shows a documentary of a dump site and scavengers in America and call is America- what will you guys say?
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Mariory(m): 10:52pm On Apr 15, 2010
Is it true they said "slums constitute 3/4 of Lagos"

Also here is a quote from the blog
"Nigeria, and Lagos in particular, seems to have a terrible reputation in Britain."

I wonder why. *rolleyes*

Another quote
"Everyone thinks of it as a noisy, dirty, dangerous city, probably because all we ever hear about it on the news is the corruption, religious violence, and dodgy email scams. I was convinced there was more to it than that, which is why four of us were heading out there for such a long period of time."

And guess where they went as soon as they arrived? From their hotel straight to a slum. How condesending and patronising. shocked
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Sagamite(m): 10:55pm On Apr 15, 2010
EloSela:

@4Play

Well if you go on twitter and Digital spy most of the white Brits who watched the program are praising the Nigerians because of the program showed them hard at work and pursuing their dreams. The Nigerians on twitter on the other hand are complaining because Lekki and VI weren't shown.

In my opinion there is no point in showing the rich Nigerians in Lekki and Vi when they are the minority as that does not represent Lagos.

There is absolutely NO WAY you would watch that programme and not admire the diligence, spirit, community harmony and charm of the people featured.

It was an uplifting programme in the midst of nothing.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by 0hsisi: 10:55pm On Apr 15, 2010
@labiyemmy:

ok - lets say noone care about the rich people, but is a dump site a true picture of Lagos?

If someone shows a documentary of a dump site and scavengers in America and call is America- what will you guys say?

abi o
like some homeless people invading dumpsters at KFC and beggars littered all over Washington DC parks right next to the white house,is that a true representation of the USA?
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by labiyemmy(m): 10:57pm On Apr 15, 2010
Where is NTA or AIT-

Let them go to America- film a dump site, show it as a documentary and let people use it to make up their minds about America.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Sagamite(m): 10:58pm On Apr 15, 2010
0hsisi:

abi o
like some homeless people invading dumpsters at KFC and beggars littered all over Washington DC parks right next to the white house,is that a true representation of the USA?

I think they erred in the title because it appears the programme is a focus ONLY on the slums of Lagos.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

2015: Buhari, Tinubu Meet In Kaduna. / 2019: Crowd Of Youths March For Ambode’s Re-Election (Photo) / FG To Channel Recovered $322m Abacha Loot To Social Safety Nets- Adeosun Reveals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.