Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,595 members, 7,801,712 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:54 PM

Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. (40256 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 3:59pm On Jan 27, 2018
There are bookshops but they are not utilised. Nigerians prefer to listen to Davido and whizzkid.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jan 27, 2018
Mariangeles:
Hahahaha...You little Kevin Hart

Kevin got nothing on me. I'm so funny people pay me to shut up.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by laudate: 4:05pm On Jan 27, 2018
mikezuruki:
she was rude! Period.
Syria
Somalia
Nigeria
Libya
And other Africa countries that faces one internal conflict or the other make the Westerns wonder whether anything positive happen here.
Though her question, to us, seem outrageously ridiculous, but looking at it from her perspective, is justified.
Wrong! Adiche was articulate, direct and bold. sad Her concise remarks put that French journalist, in her place. Reporters, TV anchors, broadcast journalists etc., are expected to have done their homework, before coming on air. They are expected to at least have a working knowledge, of the subject under discussion. Nothing gives them the right or the license, to peddle ignorance on air to their audience!

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Seunvense(m): 4:07pm On Jan 27, 2018
XingXhang:
Nigeria has bookshops but very few readers.

Keep three books by Anthony Robbins or Zig Ziglar out in the open. No one will dare touch them. But misplace your #5 and you won't see it 5 mins later.

You'll see a book seller looking all dirty; I'll be like, How can a man be selling knowledge and still be ignorant?

Btw, I received joined a WhatsApp group where e-books by almost all the good authors (Christian and motivational) are being sent for easy download and reading. I intend opening mine, if interested to join my READING CLUB on WhatsApp...Send me your number. Thank you.

Leaders are Readers. Consistent readers are Great Leaders. Build a future that will last by investing in books today. FREE BOOKS.
Check your mail please
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by XingXhang(m): 4:09pm On Jan 27, 2018
just2endowed:

Pls how can I join ur group

Just send it here or PM me
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Mariangeles(f): 4:09pm On Jan 27, 2018
boostdom:
The interviewer is right jare.

In 2018, most people in Nigeria spend their days riding giraffes and hunting lions. They have no concept of money, time and culture. Yesterday, when I heard an aircraft pass overhead, I thought it was the gods keeping watch over me.

All hail King Julien.
You even like the Penguins of Madagascar...My favorite cartoon

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Thane(m): 4:09pm On Jan 27, 2018
XingXhang:

Keep three books by Anthony Robbins or Zig Ziglar out in the open. No one will dare touch them. But misplace your #5 and you won't see it 5 mins later.

You'll see a book seller looking all dirty; I'll be like, How can a man be selling knowledge and still be ignorant?

Btw, I received joined a WhatsApp group where e-books by almost all the good authors (Christian and motivational) are being sent for easy download and reading. I intend opening mine, if interested to join my READING CLUB on WhatsApp...Send me your number. Thank you.

Leaders are Readers. Consistent readers are Great Leaders. Build a future that will last by investing in books today. FREE BOOKS.

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Fifthwave(f): 4:11pm On Jan 27, 2018
jeronimo:
cool cool

You guys must be from the elite part of the jungle. We run around butt naked here. I have to change tree today though, tired of forcing myself in between bamboo I need an iroko.

I'll visit your part of the jungle in a moon's time.
Are your maidens also butt unclad?

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jan 27, 2018
Funny enough,i fry eggs with palm oil,anything wrong wit dat? cheesy
georjay:
heeyah

so after all said and done
should we fry egg with palm oil or what
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jan 27, 2018
seguno2:

When was the last time you got a book from the library?
A book that is not about personal development but about societal development?

Where I live is not so far from a University. I do make use of their library services, if I do not have the soft copy of the material.

What books are for societal development? My degrees are in a STEM field and that is what I concentrate on, unless I need something in philosophy or psychology.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by georjay(m): 4:22pm On Jan 27, 2018
Simplep:
Funny enough,i fry eggs with palm oil,anything wrong wit dat? cheesy

really shocked
how does it taste??
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jan 27, 2018
Same as groundnut oil my dear,even sweeter grin
georjay:

really shocked
how does it taste??
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by georjay(m): 4:36pm On Jan 27, 2018
Simplep:
Same as groundnut oil my dear,even sweeter grin

serious

I will try it out tomorrow

but hope you are not cornering me sha wink
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jan 27, 2018
Lol..am not o,i cnt even remember d last time i use grndnt oil to cook..i use palm oil,i prefer it,,with d fact dat groundnut oil is expensive..my stews,jollof,spagg,i use red oil,eggs etc..bt dnt try it o,u might nt kn how to use it so u dnt burn down ur kitchen
georjay:

serious

I will try it out tomorrow

but hope you are not cornering me sha wink
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by nothingdou1(m): 4:52pm On Jan 27, 2018
XingXhang:

Am interested how do I send u my contact privately
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by LZAA: 4:56pm On Jan 27, 2018
gustav25:
Mr man,please elucidate more on the 'arts' student ,because I'm not understanding where you are heading to
art students read cuz dy have to read ie literature
science and commercial students are offered literature as optional studies
to be more specific, go to oshodi and ask the ppl u meet on the streets who is dan brown,chances are only 3 of 10 peeps wee get it
ask who is jk rowling,chances are 2 of 10
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by jeronimo(m): 5:16pm On Jan 27, 2018
Fifthwave:

I'll visit your part of the jungle in a moon's time.
Are your maidens also butt unclad?

All the maidens in this part are taken. There are still a couple of them available too though..... That is if you don't mind sagging boobs
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by holloowersheun(m): 5:16pm On Jan 27, 2018
XingXhang:

please add me 08061676495
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Rasbel(m): 5:18pm On Jan 27, 2018
XingXhang:

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by darlenese(f): 5:41pm On Jan 27, 2018
noblealuu:
All these whites sef...can't utilize the internet facilities at their disposal to know a thing or two about other countries..... shocked

Little wonder some of them think Africa is a continent

I am weeping for u right now!

so Africa nor be continent ?

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by lowaist101: 5:45pm On Jan 27, 2018
To be an illiterate is not about not knowing how to read and write. Educated illiterates abound everywhere not only in Nigeria. Ethnocentric and racism mentality of some people and the tendency to mischievously degrade other people's culture, shows how backward some people can be in their thinking.

It is French, so, few Nigerians will be outspoken. It is really good to travel. And if you can't, read books written by people if other culture. And if lazy to read, watch movies and documentaries. Why is it that some white always imagine nothing good can come out of Africa? It is just pathetic and shameful too. And if many Africans could have the same opportunities, we would perform better.

It is a clarion call for our leaders. This is why we call it globalization. 'Dividends of democracy' is what we need. They travel daily to these developed countries. No new ideas. We scan round globally and make it workable locally.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Xtianvic(m): 5:55pm On Jan 27, 2018
XingXhang:

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Doctormarrvin: 6:04pm On Jan 27, 2018
Ravissante:

There are also different types of men... But you don't see us running like headless chickens after meeting stupid ones like yourself
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Doctormarrvin: 6:05pm On Jan 27, 2018
Ravissante:

There are also different types of men... But you don't see us running like headless chickens after meeting stupid ones like yourself
lol,darling! grin I'm sorry if you think my post is referring to you. I'm sure you don't fall into the category I mentioned,i know you have an achievement or two. Keep up the feminism struggle sis. kiss kiss
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Ishilove: 6:31pm On Jan 27, 2018
boostdom:

You use leaves? You elitist bourgeois.

I use jute fiber, it's strong enough to pad my mandingo, so I don't walk with a hunch.
Rotfl

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by opribo(m): 6:32pm On Jan 27, 2018
teamsynergy:

it's either u live in a remote village or u are damn lazy... bookshops are in every town I have visited in this country... if you visit sections where novels are discussed on niaraland , am sure u would Think the comments there are made by foreigners .... even village newspaper stands still have a lot of visitors (readers) despite the internet

Mention the address of just one single one apart from Lagos State.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 6:48pm On Jan 27, 2018
babadee1:
This Chimamanda Adichie woman will be the first female president of Nigeria one day. Insha Allah.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by just2endowed: 6:50pm On Jan 27, 2018
XingXhang:

Just send it here or PM me
My number is at my signature
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Sanctecosma(m): 7:05pm On Jan 27, 2018
Lordspicy:
book stores ke?
over here we cover our privates with smoked raffia, live in huts and and hunt lions for their fur....

useless white racist

If u live in huts that means you've seen "the half of a yellow sun" over here we still share the tree tops with birds and monkeys.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Exciton(m): 7:08pm On Jan 27, 2018
Nigerians (and many Africans) are a wonderful example of the extent to which a group of people can partake in mass delusion and denial.

We certainly don't have numerous bookstores scattered across the country, neither is it the case for libraries. The few available are hardly stocked with good books. We have no reading culture. It's also simply a lie that many Nigerians are well read. The abysmal literacy rates in Nigeria is a fact well known to many people around the globe.

Same thing happened during the sh!thole event. You can keep on lying to yourselves, but you're f00ling no one.

It's nice to defend your country and raise awareness about racial discrimination but we're never going to earn anyone's respect if we continue to behave as a people who don't care for our dignity, our future, our kids and can't build a civilised society with good ideals.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Sanctecosma(m): 7:11pm On Jan 27, 2018
noblealuu:
All these whites sef...can't utilize the internet facilities at their disposal to know a thing or two about other countries..... shocked

Little wonder some of them think Africa is a continent

Reading your comment, a part of me wants to come to terms with the notions of the "white racists" about my BELOVED Africa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 / Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. / Faridah Abike-Iyimide Secures MacMillan Million-Dollar Book Deal In USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.