Stats: 3,143,488 members, 7,781,465 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:51 PM

Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider (13824 Views)

My Friend Paid N400k To Secure A Job That Pays N50k Monthly / How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider / No Good Job? –try These Top 7 Nigerian ICT Jobs With High Employment Rate (2) (3) (4)

Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:41am On Jan 29, 2018
You might have heard it before, but I want to repeat it again. To get a good job in Nigeria is harder than winning an Olympic gold medal in swimming against Michael Pheals as an amateur.

According to recent statistics, 80% of young graduates in Nigeria earn below 100,000 Naira, and that isn’t a good one – considering recent economic situations. While we debate about those who earn below 100k per month, we still have a unique set of people who don’t even have any source of monthly income.

What are those factors that might be against them – which they don’t have an idea about?

There are about 178.6 million people in Nigeria, and to get a good job isn’t something that just happens. To get a good job, you must know some certain factors you should use for your own good.

What are the top factors you should consider to get a good job in Nigeria?

Quality of your connection

I sincerely thought this wasn’t real till it happened to me. I gate-crashed a firm to submit my CV and I was stopped at the gate. All efforts begging proved abortive. A few days later, calls were made and I was back at the same company sitting with the Head of Human Resource with my CV in his office.

I wrote the same exam and interview like others, but I was the only person who got a letter of employment. Why? What happened? I just had the right connection.

The person who fixed me up was whom I saw at a wedding ceremony. A simple conversation of “what I had to offer was enough to gain me recommendation”

It isn’t okay to beg for a job; you must show them what you have to offer, and you see how they will recommend you to the right place. It is all about networking and meeting the right people. But you have to learn how to network like a professional.

IF YOU DON’T HAVE THE ABOVE FACTOR, THEN PLEASE CONSIDER THESE BELOW:

Location plays a huge factor when searching for a job. Most states in Nigeria have very low openings, which limits the job vacancies posted from such states. It is imperative you migrate from such states to states with high job opportunities. Few states like Lagos, Ogun, Abuja, Port Hacourt, Oyo, Anambra, Delta, and Kaduna state all have potentials when it comes to job vacancies.

Skills to Offer

It is saddening that most graduates don’t really know what they have to offer. They don’t have any area of specialty or any skill to offer. This possibly limits their chances to apply for jobs outside their background course at college.

Quality of your Resume/Cover letter

Since we all know that technology has taken over the way of recruitment these days, candidate’s CVs are shortlisted with the help of software. Several factors determine which CV is picked. That is why I hammer on the following things on every CV.

- Structure

- Keywords

- Format

- Accomplishments instead of descriptions

Having a good CV backed with a cover letter is one of the surest ways to gain recruiters attention. If you have a good CV, you may not need any connection to get your dream job. If you can’t write a power CV, it is imperative you meet a professional to help.

Interview Skills

Excelling in an interview is an art you need to master. It is not just a question and answers series, it’s more psychological than you’ve ever imagined. When you answer interview questions, there are certain things that interviewers look, and they include;

- Dressing

- Confidence

- Work experience

- Communication Ability

- Remuneration scale

Scoring positive in all these takes you a step closer to securing the job role – all things remaining equal. There are several articles that have shown in details how to ace an interview easily, but you have to know that practice makes perfect in interview cases.

There are no laid down rules when it comes to securing a job, but in Nigeria, these are the major factors that influence getting a job. I will be sharing more of these articles in recent days, so do well to keep in touch.

See you at the top. I wish you success.

Source: https://patrickokunima.com/2018/01/29/securing-a-good-job-in-nigeria-top-5-factors-to-consider/

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by MYDEBBY(m): 10:28am On Jan 29, 2018
Thumbs up for you my brother,thanks a lot

Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by PatrickOkunima(m): 11:39am On Jan 29, 2018
MYDEBBY:
Thumbs up for you my brother,thanks a lot

You're welcome.

Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by PatrickOkunima(m): 10:55pm On Jan 29, 2018
Did you find the post helpful?

Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by jerrybakermillz(m): 7:56am On Jan 30, 2018
Hmmm....if you get all the skill n qualifications, the interviewer go still ask u these 4 words....Who send you come?

Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by SNIPER123: 7:58am On Jan 30, 2018

Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by sunbbo(m): 7:58am On Jan 30, 2018
Nice one Op.

Apply For Jumia Group Latest Job Recruitment (7 Positions)

Jumia Group is a leading global incubator of start-ups. We started operating in Africa in 2012 and since then have launched multiple successful companies, such as Jumia, Jumia Market, Jumia Travel, Jumia Food, Jumia Deals, Jumia House, Jumia Jobs, Jumia Car, Jumia Services. Africa is one of the fastest growing economies in the world, offering excellent opportunities in a vibrant and booming environment. Its economic growth has enabled innovative businesses to flourish and this is where Jumia steps in. Jumia Group Latest Job Recruitment (7 Positions) as follows;

1.) Sales Performance Analyst

Click Here To View Details

2.) Head of Financial Planning and Analysis

3.) Chief Marketing Officer

4.) Social Media Associate

5.) Senior PHP Developer

6.) Manager, Fixed Asset and General Ledger

7.) Software Quality Assurance Analyst

Application Closing Date: Not Specified

Source: http://www.ngjobseekers.com/2018/01/30/jumia-group-latest-job-recruitment/
Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by Tunks2017(m): 7:59am On Jan 30, 2018

Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by David97: 8:00am On Jan 30, 2018
jerrybakermillz:
Hmmm....if you get all the skill n qualifications, the interviewer go still ask u these 4 words....Who send you come?

Lolz, some will ask o

Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by koolgee(m): 8:00am On Jan 30, 2018
That your no1 point is the surest. Cos with connect, you don't even have to go through an interview

Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by Homers123(m): 8:07am On Jan 30, 2018
Getting a job in Naija has more to do with man know man.

Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by Inspire01: 8:09am On Jan 30, 2018
With ur top connections the rest are just formalities

Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by adeoba2008(m): 8:10am On Jan 30, 2018
One thing that you cannot rule out these days is I.T training and certification. With it you can get jobs on a platter of gold without connection. I am a living witness to that. That is why I started my blog to start with. I feared Lala. Check my signature for more.
Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by condralbedez: 8:35am On Jan 30, 2018
I went for an Interview in an IT firm,they asked me what can I offer, I told them that am into installations of network antennas,integration of sites and the rest. They are very satisfied with that. As am about leaving one asked me do u hv a relative working with mtn, I said no.... They stare at each other and said OK, that they will contact me soon, up till now nothing... So I believe is still based on connection, who you knw? who sent you? and some stuffs like that.

Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by don4real18(m): 8:47am On Jan 30, 2018
Well, you are right
Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by samx4real(m): 8:52am On Jan 30, 2018
No job still...

Just 20k teaching job na them dey.
Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by obialinaeze(m): 9:10am On Jan 30, 2018
PatrickOkunima:
Did you find the post helpful?
everything na destiny.

Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by iykepromotions: 9:23am On Jan 30, 2018
Why not go for self employ?

Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by Gerrard59(m): 9:48am On Jan 30, 2018
Nevertheless, connection aka networking is good. However, people still get good jobs without knowing anyone or having "long leg". I'll wager that connection aids experienced staff than fresh grads.

Placing connection as number one espouses mediocrity.

iykepromotions:
Why not go for self employ?

If everyone becomes an entrepreneur, who will be the employee?
Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by tall2ce(m): 9:58am On Jan 30, 2018
Top 5 factors
1. Man know man
2. Brown envelopes
3. Abuja connection
4. Long leggism
5. Who sent you here

Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by makky555(f): 10:06am On Jan 30, 2018
Nice one op

For someone who just graduated I think you should look out for these

1. Opportunity(connection you can make)
2. Time marking(job to pass time with)
3. Pay(money)
4. What you have to offer (skill)
5. What you want To learn (skill to brush up your career)
Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by naturefellow(m): 10:28am On Jan 30, 2018
Beta post!

Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by manikspears: 4:04pm On Jan 30, 2018
jerrybakermillz:
let op be deceiving himself,the number one and only thing in nigeria is CONNECTION ,be ye not deceived.if you form badosky like me wey get job without connection they will frustrate you.ask me i know what am passing through.even one of our managers nephew wey i train wey get only ond dey earn pass me by far.when ever i tender my case before the management they will tell me they are still watching me.

Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by Rubbiish(m): 4:31pm On Jan 30, 2018
manikspears:

let op be deceiving himself,the number one and only thing in nigeria is CONNECTION ,be ye not deceived.if you form badosky like me wey get job without connection they will frustrate you.ask me i know what am passing through.even one of our managers nephew wey i train wey get only ond dey earn pass me by far.when ever i tender my case before the management they will tell me they are still watching me.
U see!!!!
Even after getting a job without connection, they still don't treat one well...
Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by manikspears: 4:44pm On Jan 30, 2018
Rubbiish:

U see!!!!
Even after getting a job with connection, they still don't treat one well...

I got the job without connection now an like the statue that trains those with connection and they pay me less,so much for dignity in qualification and labour in nigeria.
Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by Rubbiish(m): 6:20pm On Jan 30, 2018
manikspears:

I got the job without connection now an like the statue that trains those with connection and they pay me less,so much for dignity in qualification and labour in nigeria.
Very true...
I made a mistake, i wanted to write without connection...
Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by manikspears: 7:12pm On Jan 30, 2018
Rubbiish:

Very true...
I made a mistake, i wanted to write without connection...

So na so it be o ,when trump called Nigeria a shit hole country I didn't argue. The land is richly blessed but the people occupying it are cursed.
Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by Rubbiish(m): 8:10pm On Jan 30, 2018
manikspears:

So na so it be o ,when trump called Nigeria a shit hole country I didn't argue. The land is richly blessed but the people occupying it are cursed.
True...

Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by chukzyfcbb: 10:54pm On Jan 30, 2018
adeoba2008:
One thing that you cannot rule out these days is I.T training and certification. With it you can get jobs on a platter of gold without connection. I am a living witness to that. That is why I started my blog to start with. I feared Lala. Check my signature for more.
not true o, IT requires experience. While I was lamenting, someone mentioned he had a Ccna. CCNP route and training in mcsa yet he hasn't been able to secure a job. Its not that easy o as u make it seem. Even Intern I dey find gan.

Rather than sit idly by, I am learning more IT skills
Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by jerrybakermillz(m): 11:09pm On Jan 30, 2018
manikspears:

So you agreed with me then?
Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by manikspears: 8:51am On Jan 31, 2018
jerrybakermillz:

So you agreed with me then?

i totally agree,"who send you come" that question will determine everything about you career in that company.
Re: Do You Want To Secure A Good Job In Nigeria? Top 5 Factors You Should Consider by PatrickOkunima(m): 5:58pm On Jan 31, 2018
Homers123:
Getting a job in Naija has more to do with man know man.
Not 100% true.

Guinness Online Interview - Who Else Got This? / Which Should I Go For ? 650k For Hybrid Start Up Or 350k Two Remote Jobs / Six Years After School, No Job Yet. He Is Frustrated & Confused, Pls Advice Him

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54