Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,582 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:30 PM

For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! - Music/Radio (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! (23463 Views)

Rock Music Is Satanic? / Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria / Any Fans Of Rock Music On Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by sevule(m): 10:03am On Apr 22, 2010
valacious:

bon jovi(beds of roses, always) turns me on
aerosmith(jaded, dont wanna miss a thing)
blink 182--i feel as if am surfing listening to them--miss u
d train--drops of jupiter(surname for rock)my best
alanis morisette--thank u so much
six pence non the richer--kiss me
cranberries--salvation
switch foot--dare u to move
sheryl crow-soak up the sun, landslide
natalie imbruglia--my nickname in university days
maroon 5
rod stewart--for the older rock lover
the beatles--my favs-(yellow submarine, yesterday)
lenny kravitz--black man singin rock(american woman, rock and roll is dead, mr cab driver)
vertical horizon
robbie williams(jesus n a campervan, angel)
creed
linkin park
m2m
jennifer page
kings of leon
nelly furtado(try)
daughtry(tink its xtian like)

lots on my mind, but i shld be more down wit xtian rock now, i know of switchfoot, but can anyone suggest great xtian rock artists to me, and where one can get d cd here n naija, kaybob24@gmail.com

rock lifts life,

@valacious If you checkmy earlier post on top, I suggested a couple of christian rock artists that you would probably like. Check them out and no you can not get Christian rock cds in Naija. BUt you can try downloading from itunes or amazon or you could "borrow" from friends.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by ElOcho: 11:27am On Apr 22, 2010
hi guys
first time on this thread.really love what y'all are doing concerning rock music.
did i mention that 98% of thesongs on my laptyop are rock?i have an entire 500GB harddisk dedicated to rock music and movies alone.nice collections you guys have been posting but i'm yet to hear mention of Daughtry, David Cook and even groups like Paramore.try listening to Hoobastank's good enough and running away;and then u might agree with me that they are one of the best lyricists.
anyway still wondering why all this fuss about rock music, next time you are seeing a movie, not nollywood or any of those pure black american movies, take your time to notice the soundtracks for those movies. 98% are rock.verdict-Rock rules. grin
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by ElOcho: 11:34am On Apr 22, 2010
many Nigerian artistes are embracing rock too but most of them are in the christian genre.
try listening to Iyke Onka, i think he is the best rock has to offer in Nigeria, also others like Frank Edwards, Eben, Etcetera(the only serious non-christian rock artiste i know off).
coupla years ago there was Damian and this guy i think Darken Daniels(something like that). then there was Fad Abasi (with afro rock), and Sgt. Plus with his collabo with Jeremiah Gyang.
i still have problems not associating Asa with rock though.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by ElOcho: 11:43am On Apr 22, 2010
i don't really know what i'd do without rock/alternative music. there really is something special about this genre.
it's nice to know that a lot of naija folks now appreciate rock music. i fell in love with it before i knew what its called
the following bands rock my world in no particular order of preference:

the cranberries( dolores o'riordan is a goddess)
within temptation
five for fighting
switchfoot
coldplay
hinhder
boys like girls
natalie imbruglia
sarah mclachlan
lene merlin
googoo dolls

the list is really endless. i'm loving this thread

nice list there especially googoo dolls and boys like girls.hinder too.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by broucher: 1:12pm On Apr 22, 2010
@ Valacious(lots on my mind, but i shld be more down wit xtian rock now, i know of switchfoot, but can anyone suggest great xtian rock artists to me, and where one can get d cd here n naija, kaybob24@gmail.com).

Yeah I have lots of collection of Rock songs and Gospel songs. And Yes there are Gospel CD's sold here in Nigeria. If you need them, then you need buy off from me just inbox me what you may need. (roundglasses@gmail.com).

And Thanks to Amya, sure you can play for us on that day, am also hoping to start a Radio rock show dedicated to rockians (meaning naija rock fans).

The song for today is Nickelback '' IF TODAY WAS YOUR LAST DAY'' . PLS ENJOY,

''My best friend gave me the best advice
He said each day's a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled by
That first step you take is the longest stride

If today was your last day and tomorrow was too late
Could you say goodbye to yesterday?
Would you live each moment like your last
Leave old pictures in the past?
Donate every dime you had, if today was your last day?
What if, what if, if today was your last day?

Against the grain should be a way of life
What's worth the price is always worth the fight
Every second counts 'cause there's no second try
So live like you're never living twice
Don't take the free ride in your own life

Would you live each moment like your last?
Donate every dime you had?

And would you call those friends you never see?
Reminisce old memories?
Would you forgive your enemies?
And would you find that one you're dreaming of?
Swear up and down to God above
That you'd finally fall in love if today was your last day?

If today was your last day
Would you make your mark by mending a broken heart?
You know it's never too late to shoot for the stars
Regardless of who you are

So do whatever it takes
'Cause you can't rewind a moment in this life
Let nothing stand in your way
'Cause the hands of time are never on your side

Reminisce old memories?
And would you find that one you're dreaming of

1 Like

Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by denthemen(m): 4:49pm On Apr 22, 2010
im glad to join this thread, I have been listening to rock for years and it seems to get better and better. A lot of people have misconceptions about the lyrics but if you listen there is a lot of substance. Songs like

Hoobastank - If I were you, Dont tell me, born to lead
Fireflight - Desperate, Fire in my eyes, Unbreakable, Star of the show (Dawn Michelle's voice is fantastic)
Lostprophets - Where we belong, Start something, a million miles
Coldplay - All songs are fantastic but "Glass of water" is exceptional

The beauty is that there are so many groups that are yet to be known!!!
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by justkunmi(m): 5:08pm On Apr 22, 2010
@denthemen
Glass of water is exceptional. . So is strawberry swing.

I've done rock for almost more than half of my life. .and it keeps gettin better. .

Anyone listens to these bands?
Death cab for cutie
Within Temptation
Kamelot. .(Soooooo good)
Taking back sunday
Rooney

Nice thread. Hope it doesn't die off like the others before it.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by ElOcho: 5:40pm On Apr 22, 2010
Yeah I have lots of collection of Rock songs and Gospel songs. And Yes there are Gospel CD's sold here in Nigeria. If you need them, then you need buy off from me just inbox me what you may need. (roundglasses@gmail.com).

And Thanks to Amya, sure you can play for us on that day, am also hoping to start a Radio rock show dedicated to rockians (meaning naija rock fans).

The song for today is Nickelback '' IF TODAY WAS YOUR LAST DAY'' . PLS ENJOY,

''My best friend gave me the best advice
He said each day's a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled by
That first step you take is the longest stride

Would you live each moment like your last
Donate every dime you had, if today was your last day?
What if, what if, if today was your last day?

Against the grain should be a way of life
What's worth the price is always worth the fight
Every second counts 'cause there's no second try
So live like you're never living twice
Don't take the free ride in your own life

Reminisce old memories?
And would you find that one you're dreaming of?

If today was your last day
Would you make your mark by mending a broken heart?
You know it's never too late to shoot for the stars
Regardless of who you are

So do whatever it takes
'Cause you can't rewind a moment in this life
Let nothing stand in your way
'Cause the hands of time are never on your side

Reminisce old memories?
And would you find that one you're dreaming of
nice one.i particularly enjoyed that track together with gotta be somebody, i'd come for u,and never gonna be alone.though i still think dark horse didnt live-up to expectation compared to nickelback's other albums.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by AjanleKoko: 8:52pm On Apr 22, 2010
Don't We All Just Wanna Be Big Rock Stars cool cool cool

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmeUuoxyt_E&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"[/flash]
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Owen2(m): 10:32pm On Apr 22, 2010
I'm a rock faithful and i've converted a good number of non-rock people to 'rockdom' including my whole family lolzz, ofcourse they always initially express their distaste for rock at the mention of it but all i just need to do is play a coldplay track for them and they are hooked!

I also agree that a rock concert here in Nigeria would be an epic fail, cos the fanbase is close to non existent and companies wouldn't want to sponsor it. Altho,if wishes were horses, i'd wish for coldplay to do the 'clocks' track for me on my wedding day.
Would that be too much to ask for? grin grin
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Soulstarr(m): 10:52pm On Apr 22, 2010
Aiite folks, nice 2 c my 9ja peeps r Rock heads, Funny thing's that I had a conversation with a British Sierra Leaonian colleague of mine bout enjoying rock music, he jus cudn't understand why a self respecting 9ja man wud be listening to rock, had 2 roll out some classic wutang clan from my old skool hip hop collection to calm him, anyways on the original topic, this is a short list wif of some of my best guitar riff's and classics;

- Voodoo Child & Purple Haze - Jimmy was awesome
- Smoke on the water - Deep purple
- Paint it black - Rolling Stones
- Spirit in the sky - Norman Greenbaum
- Can't stop - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
- Smells like teen spirit - Nirvana
- Bitter sweet symphony - The verve
- If you tolerate this - Manic Street Preachers
- Zombie - Cranberries

My current new skool fav's r d temper trap n Kings of Leon,

Man dis songs have gotten me thru some very bad days @ work n very boring tram rides to work, but hey thats wot d musics about, isn't it grin
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by AjanleKoko: 4:55pm On Apr 23, 2010
My two greatest Rock Albums of all time:

1. U2 - The Joshua Tree

2. Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Californication

Everybody here seems to be a recent rock convert. Everybody's talking about the Switchfoot, Five for Fighting, Blink 182, and Green Day.
What about the old days? Buffalo Springfield, The Stones, Led Zep, The Police, etc.?
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Oba234: 5:25pm On Apr 23, 2010
I like any good song whether it's rap, rock, country, pop,etc. A question is what is distinctly rock. Nowadays, most songs are a mixture of genres. Even some R & b songs sound pop to me while some rock songs may sound pop Anyway, are most of the people saying rock is their religion in Nigeria or the western world? I doubt rock can be big in African countries. Just cuz many people in nairaland say so doesn't mean anything. Half of you guys are probably living in London or the US anyway
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by AjanleKoko: 5:45pm On Apr 23, 2010
^^
You have a point. Most Naijas would not have been exposed to rock down here. I am an exception though.

I was born, raised, and still live in Lagos, Nigeria. And I've followed rock (album rock, indie, metal, soft rock) since the late 70s.
My dad had a bunch of rock albums from his student days, and I sort of grew up on them. Rock and Reggae. The Bee Gees, Genesis, Booker T & The MGs, Hank Williams, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, The Police, Elvis, etc. And also Jimmy Cliff and the Legend himself, Bob Marley.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by AjanleKoko: 8:24pm On Apr 23, 2010
Californication Video:

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFMLARtqxCY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="[/flash]
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Amya(f): 12:45pm On Apr 24, 2010
@Oba234. You'll be surprised at how much rock fans are here in Nigeria.

Just amongst my acquaintance, a good number of them are die hard rock fans. You don't have to assume anything. Do your research.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Oba234: 4:14pm On Apr 24, 2010
@Amya,

just because your friends or those around you like it doesn't mean anything. You are more likely to hang around people that are like you anyway, so your friends or people you hang around are not representative of the population. It's psychology 101, you are more likely to be friends with people that reason like you, look like you, or have the same taste as you, but don't infer anything from your circle of friend into the population. I am not saying there are not rock fans in Nigeria, all I am saying is I doubt rock can become big in Nigeria and Africa as a whole. The fan base is not big enough
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Amya(f): 8:04pm On Apr 24, 2010
@oba234.

I get your point. But i still stick to what i said earlier.

If you'd read my earlier post, you'll see where i wrote that a rock fan club was put together by some guy in my school( in nigeria). word got around, and just in the first month, it had more than a thousand membership( the whole school is about 9000?) the whole thing was later scrapped by the school authority when they felt the objectives was not justifiable enough to be a school club. Just imagine if this is done in every school, working place e.t.c

my dear, there are lotsa rock fans in nigeria, but they are not as visible as other music genre lovers. They are content with listening to these songs on their ipod's, systems e.t.c which they download from the internet.

While i agree with you that rock songs is not and prolly never will be the most popular music genre in the country, it does have it's teeming but hidden fans.

I still encourage you to do a research, take a poll or something, and you just might be surprised at the result you get.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by broucher: 1:22pm On Apr 25, 2010
@Oba234 - I disagree with you, foreverything is possible and nothing is impossible. It is obtainable.

Like you said birds of the same feather flock together , so are you and your pairs. So you can not categorrically say that it's not possible for naija to have a huge fan base, you may be surprise at what you will see if you carry out a poll.

Nigeria is going thru a revolutional change in ideas and concepts,my generation/our generation is of the jet age and you did be surprise to know how many nigerians have access to the internet,so it is with what the can download. Don't forget that most series that they watch all have rock genres sound tracks or even the movies themselves.

Well just to let you know it's possible call DJ Mannny and ask him of the first ever rock show held last year which he was made to be the MC, against all odds with the heavy down pour of rain,lagosians turned out in large numbers to make it happen, upon the fact there was fee attached to it.
Dude it's happening, embrace the change, we have come to stay and lead, in South Africa ,rock has bulit it's self heaven in africa. High regrads to Amya.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Oba234: 9:05pm On Apr 25, 2010
broucher:

@Oba234 - I disagree with you, foreverything is possible and nothing is impossible. It is obtainable.

Like you said birds of the same feather flock together , so are you and your pairs. So you can not categorrically say that it's not possible for naija to have a huge fan base, you may be surprise at what you will see if you carry out a poll.

Nigeria is going thru a revolutional change in ideas and concepts,my generation/our generation is of the jet age and you did be surprise to know how many nigerians have access to the internet,so it is with what the can download. Don't forget that most series that they watch all have rock genres sound tracks or even the movies themselves.

Well just to let you know it's possible call DJ Mannny and ask him of the first ever rock show held last year which he was made to be the MC, against all odds with the heavy down pour of rain,lagosians turned out in large numbers to make it happen, upon the fact there was fee attached to it.
Dude it's happening, embrace the change, we have come to stay and lead, in South Africa ,rock has bulit it's self heaven in africa. High regrads to Amya.

okay dude, chill, I really don't care about this topic that much. I have nothing against rock. I am just giving my own opinion.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by sinistyle(m): 8:17am On Apr 26, 2010
Looks like everyone loves Coldplay. They're an awesome band. My best Coldplay song is 'Talk'.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by D1KeleVra(m): 10:29am On Apr 26, 2010
^^From Coldplay, i dig The Hardest Part, Square One and Green eyes. . . they're too good.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by sinistyle(m): 11:18am On Apr 26, 2010
Square one is real cool. 'in my place', 'shiver' and 'yellow' are also very nice. Clocks happens to be their most popular song
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by ElOcho: 4:19pm On Apr 26, 2010
yeah 'in my place', 'the scientist', even 'viva la vida' but most especially clocks ", am i part of the cure or am i a part of the disease, "
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by AjanleKoko: 4:29pm On Apr 26, 2010
Coldplay are not really rockers in my view. They're more on the alternative side. In fact, I would put them in pop alongside Robbie Williams, Wet Wet Wet, Village People, Elton John, and those kinda people.

For me if you're talking rock, you must either be grunge, death metal, album, indie, symphonic, or punk rock. The type that makes you bob your head.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Ifrit(m): 6:56pm On Apr 26, 2010
AMY LEE AIN'T EVIL YOU WANT EVIL BAND LISTE TO

CHILDREN OF BODOM

IRON MAIDEN

TWISTED SISTERS

SLIPKNOT

OZZY OSBORNE

AND SO ON
THOUGH NOT ALL OF THEM ARE BUT SOME OF THEIR TRACKS PRAISE SATANISM.

@Ruq None of the tracks by the artists you listed praise satanism. Most of em are dark but do not praise Satan. Iron Maiden's "The Number of the Beast" is actually about fighting AGAINST Satan. You want satanism, listen to Slayer. Or Theatres Des Vampires.

@AjanleKoko Yeah, Coldplay aren't rock artists per se. Too much alternative. But they still 'rock' anyday. They're just too much.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by stede(m): 10:38pm On Apr 27, 2010
Are they Nigerian Artist?
cheesy
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Ruq: 12:33am On Apr 28, 2010
@Ifrit I KNOW SLAYER IS SATANIC!
TRY THIS BANDS

The Lucifer Principle
Behemoth
Venom or jon nodveit,Varg Vikernes

and you should try reading Ozzy Osbourne's history ad see for your self.

AM NOT SAYING THEY ARE ALL EVIL BUT SOME OF THEIR TRACKS A WAY OF FUN!!!!
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Amya(f): 11:15am On Apr 28, 2010
stede:

sad grin angry HATE ROCK DIE, COOL RAPS FROM ROSS MAJOR

what do you know. . .

. . . and didn't you see the heading? This thread is exclusive for rock lovers only.

So. F.UC.K OFF!
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by exago(m): 10:05am On Apr 30, 2010
Just tied of seeing our young men waste . . . life . . talent . . time

How Can I know Christ?

Salvation is deliverance from spiritual death and enslavement by sin. God provides salvation for all who believe and accept His free offer of forgiveness. Mankind’s only hope of redemption from the fallen sinful state is through the blood of Jesus Christ, God’s Son–blood that was shed as Jesus died on the cross.

Choosing your place in eternity — it’s up to you!

The door is open … but walking through it is a personal choice. To ignore the open door, or to procrastinate, may not seem all that significant today. But on that future day, it will surpass all the other decisions we’ve ever made in our whole lives.

If you haven’t yet begun a relationship with God, here’s what you need to do:

A—Admit that all is not well between you and God. Not that you’re necessarily a bad person, but still … His standards are higher than you can reach. As the Bible says with some bluntness, “There is no difference…. All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:22-23).

B—Believe that there’s still a chance to remedy this situation, however, thanks to the generous sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross. He took the punishment we deserved. He stepped up on our behalf. “You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly…. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 5:6 and 6:23).

C—Call out to the Lord for his forgiveness and acceptance. Tell Him honestly that you want to be changed on the inside. Ask Him to adopt you as one of His special children. He won’t brush you off. He will welcome you. In the words of the ancient prophet Joel, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved” (Joel 2:32, Romans 10:13).

You can talk to God about this anytime, anywhere, using any words you wish. You don’t have to come up with a formal speech. Just be honest and tell God the essence of the A-B-C points above.

If you feel uneasy, here’s a short prayer you can say:

Dear God, I’d like to make things right with You. I admit I haven’t always lived the way I should and I’ve broken Your rules. I ask for Your forgiveness of my sins. Based on what Jesus did on my behalf, please accept me as one of Your children. I recognize you as the new Authority of my life, and I’ll do my best to follow Your direction. Be merciful to me, O God.
Amen.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

10 Rising Artists Music Listeners Should Keep A Tab On In 2021 / Top Radio Shows In Lagos/Nigeria? / Which Of These Current Nigerian Musicians Surprised You The Most?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.