Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,445 members, 7,808,592 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:57 PM

Should African Religions Be Preserved? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should African Religions Be Preserved? (3409 Views)

15 Facts On African Religions / Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? / What's Wrong With African Religions? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by mazaje1: 1:47pm On Apr 19, 2010
Africans should think of how to move forward and stop think about preserving traditional and ancient myths that have nothing to contribute to our collective growth. . . .
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by eros(m): 6:05pm On Apr 19, 2010
A part of African tradition should be preserved and the ugly part condemned to oblivion.
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by PastorAIO: 10:02pm On Apr 19, 2010
eros:

A part of African tradition should be preserved and the ugly part condemned to oblivion.

I think that it should be documented. Preserved in that sense. Not in the sense of practicing it. Both the ugly sides and the beautiful sides should be documented and taught.
mazaje1:

Africans should think of how to move forward and stop think about preserving traditional and ancient myths that have nothing to contribute to our collective growth. . . .

Please can you educate us as to where our collective growth is heading, where is the destination, the objective. I need to know so that I can be sure that I am contributing and not holding us back.
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by uchenageme(m): 10:05pm On Apr 19, 2010
African cultures and religions are better than the western and eastern religions we practice today, they had morals, justice and peace in their codes of conduct but unfortunately our fathers allowed the white men deceive them into substituting our heritage for cheap religions.

Our ways of doing things were far superior to that of the white men; read JOMO KENYATTA's FACING MOUNT KENYA if you doubt me, but we allowed the chance of developing faster than the western world slip by us.
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by akwaowoudo(m): 10:08pm On Apr 19, 2010
Who is interested in paganism? Preserve juju for what? The night is certainly over.

1 Like

Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by uchenageme(m): 10:33pm On Apr 19, 2010
akwaowoudo:

Who is interested in paganism? Preserve juju for what? The night is certainly over.

U hve been brainwashed, "peganism" what language is that and who invented that word, my people u need to read more, think deep and ask questions from your old peoples, those of them who can still remember, then u shall kno the truth. Africans fought war only to entrench justice but can we say the same for the crusaders and the jihadist? can we say the same for the greedy conquering europeans and asians
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by jagunlabi(m): 6:11am On Apr 20, 2010
akwaowoudo:

Excuse me ,sir, FYI, the two foreign religions which the europeans and the arabs have stuffed down our collective throats and up our behinds are also of pagan origins. So what are you talking about? You would rather uphold pagan religions from abroad rather than the ones that were created on the african continent? Talk of mind enslavement. . .
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by jokingmary(m): 5:46pm On Apr 20, 2010
jagunlabi:

Excuse me ,sir, FYI, the two foreign religions which the europeans and the arabs have stuffed down our collective throats and up our behinds are also of pagan origins. So what are you talking about? You would rather uphold pagan religions from abroad rather than the ones that were created on the african continent? Talk of mind enslavement. . .

sorry but did you remeber to go to the pshychiatric hospital this morning for check up grin
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by jagunlabi(m): 9:19pm On Apr 20, 2010
jokingmary:

sorry but did you remeber to go to the pshychiatric hospital this morning for check up grin
Very funny. I don't know which of the foreign religions you belong to, but if you can identify which one of the two, i can inform you in more detail.
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by neetusharma: 2:35pm On Apr 21, 2010
I think it is useless to even consider this question.
Off course African culture,religion,spirituality,connection to nature is a unique gift directly from God himself and there should be no double minds on a should or could for the preservation of the same.
We live in a world where we all are connected. Africa,Asia and all continents combined. The cradle of life is the same for all and it is absolutely necessary for all to understand that we 'all' matter.
This is the only intangible gift that we have and could pass on from generations improving on it as we go along. Let us resolve to preserve what makes us humans.
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by Sangman(m): 3:50pm On Apr 28, 2010
In response to the OP, yes we should, but with conditions. We should begin to reintroduce it, and "modernize" it. I used to be of the opinion that we should abandon all that nonsense, after all where were these gods and religion when the European came with his god and religion and laid waste to Africa (a god which they adopted from the Semites, by the way).
As someone commented earlier, as Christianity and Islam spread, the local pple adopted and adapted it to their culture.
Note: The blockbuster movie remake "Clash of Titans" is all about pre-Christian dieties that the Europeans worshipped and idolized. But Shango and Yemoja are evil?
So let's bring these discussions of ancient religions out in the open, so that they can be updated and streamlined.
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by cbravo3: 4:24pm On Apr 20, 2017
EXISTENCE OF PHILOSOPHY IN TRADITIONAL AFRICA:A HERMENEUTICAL APPROACH
http://www.bravoprojecthelp.com/philosophy/existence-of-philosophy-in-traditional-africa/
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by vaxx: 4:59pm On Apr 20, 2017
smile4kenn:
Traditional African religions are still alive and well in Africa, says a survey done by the American research organisation, Pew Research Center.

They say that although most Africans identify themselves as either Christian or Muslim, they continue to practice elements of traditional African religions in their daily lives.

Do African traditional religions still have a place today? Do you believe in traditional faiths? Should we do more to teach and preserve them along side Christianity and Islam or simply abandon them?

Yes, definitely, Africa should retain these traditional religions.

It's a shame what is happening to western culture, as we begin to loose our religions to a 'secular materialism'. More than ever we are trying to satisfy ourselves through consumption and greed, which will always fails to provide us with real happiness. It bothers me that we live in such a superficial world now. We have lost our sense of self-reflection, spirituality, and meaning; the philosopher in us has died.
am a proud traditionalist. a yoruba by tribe , an ifa adherent. wole soyinka is adherent to ogun while fela before his death was also adherent to ogun too. all this gods are subject of olodumare. the most supreme.

pls he is diffrent from chtistain god who only answer prayer until you fast or pray. the christain god too also did not forgive satan its major rival for more than a century year he created this earth. what a god.

i belife the gods are wise.
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by Horus(m): 5:14pm On Apr 20, 2017
There is no religious fanaticism in Traditional African religions.

Give them back their Jesus and return to your ancestors

Give them back their Prophet Muhammad and return to your ancestors
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by urheme: 5:46pm On Apr 20, 2017
smile4kenn:
Traditional African religions are still alive and well in Africa, says a survey done by the American research organisation, Pew Research Center.

They say that although most Africans identify themselves as either Christian or Muslim, they continue to practice elements of traditional African religions in their daily lives.

Do African traditional religions still have a place today? Do you believe in traditional faiths? Should we do more to teach and preserve them along side Christianity and Islam or simply abandon them?

Yes, definitely, Africa should retain these traditional religions.

It's a shame what is happening to western culture, as we begin to loose our religions to a 'secular materialism'. More than ever we are trying to satisfy ourselves through consumption and greed, which will always fails to provide us with real happiness. It bothers me that we live in such a superficial world now. We have lost our sense of self-reflection, spirituality, and meaning; the philosopher in us has died.

African traditional religion or Nigerian traditional religions

If these traditional religions played a good role in the society to start with, it wouldn't have been substituted for foreign religions..... We the people threw it away and embrace others because we could see the divided of the activities of E.G missionaries.
The traditional man is just a barbarian... so we reject backwardness....is a shame that not one of them is worthy of preservation....they are all bad for equity and good conscience.
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by urheme: 5:59pm On Apr 20, 2017
uchenageme:
African cultures and religions are better than the western and eastern religions we practice today, they had morals, justice and peace in their codes of conduct but unfortunately our fathers allowed the white men deceive them into substituting our heritage for cheap religions.

Our ways of doing things were far superior to that of the white men; read JOMO KENYATTA's FACING MOUNT KENYA if you doubt me, but we allowed the chance of developing faster than the western world slip by us.

Traditional Religion is characterized with wickedness, discrimination, murder, inhuman treatment and mutilation of female children, inequality, gender abuse, dirtiness, environmental pollution and degradation, uncivilization, illiteracy, wife beating, Human sacrifice, charms, occult, false accusation, witch hunting, poverty and wretchedness, polygamy.......all the evil that should not be condole.

the white man did not deceive your fathers....rather...they recused them from their barbarous lifestyle
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by urheme: 6:15pm On Apr 20, 2017
vaxx:
am a proud traditionalist. a yoruba by tribe , an ifa adherent. wole soyinka is adherent to ogun while fela before his death was also adherent to ogun too. all this gods are subject of olodumare. the most supreme.

pls he is diffrent from chtistain god who only answer prayer until you fast or pray. the christain god too also did not forgive satan its major rival for more than a century year he created this earth. what a god.

i belife the gods are wise.

soyinka is your best living Example.... undecided .........who is he ..
If you relate him to literature... i may know him..."Trials of brother Jero" ...but definitely not a juju worshiper

And you bad mouth Christians.....can you count the number of successful institutions established by Christians?

Your gods are were not only stupid and powerless....they were never there.....woods clay and rust iron were your gods....piece of furniture.. grin.........if they were active....missionaries would not have substituted them..
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by vaxx: 6:33pm On Apr 20, 2017
urheme:

soyinka is your best living Example.... undecided .........who is he ..
If you relate him to literature... i may know him..."Trials of brother Jero" ...but definitely not a juju worshiper

And you bad mouth Christians.....can you count the number of successful institutions established by Christians?

Your gods are were not only stupid and powerless....they were never there.....woods clay and rust iron were your gods....piece of furniture.. grin.........if they were active....missionaries would not have substituted them..
i mentioned those popular figure to tell those who are are apologetic to their own faith to rise to their feet becuse well noble people also share their belives . sorry yoruba traditionalist do not worship nature as you claim. we may pay obeyance to water ,iron ,tree. that is not worshiped. we worshiped formless being oludumare and not one white man with golden crown.

yes the gods are wise. the missionary were successful just like the way jihad is succeful in bornu state. no pastor prayer can change it now, only those who seek for understanding shall be enlighted.

1 Like

Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by urheme: 6:58pm On Apr 21, 2017
vaxx:
i mentioned those popular figure to tell those who are are apologetic to their own faith to rise to their feet becuse well noble people also share their belives . sorry yoruba traditionalist do not worship nature as you claim. we may pay obeyance to water ,iron ,tree. that is not worshiped. we worshiped formless being oludumare and not one white man with golden crown.

yes the gods are wise. the missionary were successful just like the way jihad is succeful in bornu state. no pastor prayer can change it now, only those who seek for understanding shall be enlighted.

seek what ....vague beliefs.....how are you different from a Christian or a Muslim.
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by vaxx: 7:09pm On Apr 21, 2017
urheme:

seek what ....vague beliefs.....how are you different from a Christian or a Muslim.
because i do not follow their path.
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by uchenageme(m): 1:18am On May 06, 2017
I believe that you have little knowledge of world history. Please try to read up, you can start by reading the book I mentioned in my first posting.
urheme:

Traditional Religion is characterized with wickedness, discrimination, murder, inhuman treatment and mutilation of female children, inequality, gender abuse, dirtiness, environmental pollution and degradation, uncivilization, illiteracy, wife beating, Human sacrifice, charms, occult, false accusation, witch hunting, poverty and wretchedness, polygamy.......all the evil that should not be condole.

the white man did not deceive your fathers....rather...they recused them from their barbarous lifestyle
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by RosaConsidine: 1:44am On May 06, 2017
urheme:

If these traditional religions played a good role in the society to start with, it wouldn't have been substituted for foreign religions..... We the people threw it away and embrace others because we could see the divided of the activities of E.G missionaries.
The traditional man is just a barbarian... so we reject backwardness....is a shame that not one of them is worthy of preservation....they are all bad for equity and good conscience.

Let me play the devil's advocate here:

So with all our adoption of foreign religions, how much better have we become as a society?

1 Like

Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by hopefulLandlord: 6:59am On May 06, 2017
urheme:

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by urheme: 12:49pm On May 06, 2017
uchenageme:
I believe that you have little knowledge of world history. Please try to read up, you can start by reading the book I mentioned in my first posting.

God forbid that i should know every thing........so you now need to know world history in order to contribute to a thread that has to do with your own traditional religion...

Receive Sense in Jesus Name.
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by urheme: 12:51pm On May 06, 2017
RosaConsidine:

Let me play the devil's advocate here:

So with all our adoption of foreign religions, how much better have we become as a society?

Pls Go and ask your fore fathers who taught them A B C
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by urheme: 1:01pm On May 06, 2017
[quote author=hopefulLandlord post=56253673][/quote]

You Belief that shit is your Choice........

My God did not order any killings even when men said He did.........men often use God as an excuse to perpetuate evil.....

I am a rational Christian....and there is need to revolutionarise Christianity to what it ought to be.....Christ started this journey by abrogating and repealing the Law of Moses.........Human or beast sacrifice is never part of Christianity.
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by uchenageme(m): 7:52pm On May 06, 2017
If you understand world history you will refrain from calling your fore-fathers' cultures as barbaric and wicked. You will see that our cultures and religions were far better and refined than what the white men thrust unto us. How many examples can I put here? that is why I advise that you make yourself knowledgeable, find books and please READ.
urheme:

God forbid that i should know every thing........so you now need to know world history in order to contribute to a thread that has to do with your own traditional religion...

Receive Sense in Jesus Name.
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by Aaronsrod: 9:24pm On May 06, 2017
uchenageme:
If you understand world history you will refrain from calling your fore-fathers' cultures as barbaric and wicked. You will see that our cultures and religions were far better and refined than what the white men thrust unto us. How many examples can I put here? that is why I advise that you make yourself knowledgeable, find books and please READ.
Traditional religion means Satan entered our peoples hearts through the drum. This drumming is now in our blood which we pass to our children. They also do evil. We must turn from this things. Repentence. Deliverance. Jesus is the only way.
Re: Should African Religions Be Preserved? by RosaConsidine: 12:09am On May 07, 2017
urheme:

Pls Go and ask your fore fathers who taught them A B C

Education and religion are two different things.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How to Interprete Dreams (A Basic Introduction For Christians) / Rev Father Thaddeus Ilechukwu Disguises As A Beggar, Sits At His Own Church Gate / What Makes A True Christian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.