Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

Is It Compulsory To Join Photographers Association In Nigeria? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is It Compulsory To Join Photographers Association In Nigeria? (2362 Views)

How To Register An Association In Nigeria / Is it compulsory to join this association? / How To Register An NGO Or Church Or Association In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Compulsory To Join Photographers Association In Nigeria? by kunleben1: 9:09am On Jan 31, 2018
Please knowledgeable nairalanders, I need an expert advice on this issue. I have been receiving threats from the photographers association that I must join them before I operate the business further. They threatened to raid my shop and even promised to invoke higher force/authority if I refuse to join. But I thought there is freedom of association as stipulated by the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria. Should I succumb to their threat or should I wrestle them out in the court of law should they carry out their threat indeed?
Re: Is It Compulsory To Join Photographers Association In Nigeria? by Lamzee(m): 9:17am On Jan 31, 2018
In as Much as Vulcanizers, Tomatoes Sellers, Pure Water, in fact, wheel barrow pusher get association. This is Nigeria, you'll join them, but I don't know if you involve Court
Re: Is It Compulsory To Join Photographers Association In Nigeria? by kunleben1: 10:17am On Jan 31, 2018
Thank you sir. But am I to join them because it's what others do or because it's a lawful requirement? Remember majority of Nigerians don't even know what their rights are. If there is a law backing them to force any one doing such business to join them, then I won't hesitate. But what I want to know is if there's such law in the first place. I'm just trying to be cautious not to fight a lost battle. I am ready to engage them legally if there is no such law. That is why I need an advice from any nairalander that knows the law well.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Join Photographers Association In Nigeria? by suyamasta(m): 12:16pm On Jan 31, 2018
kunleben1:
Please knowledgeable nairalanders, I need an expert advice on this issue. I have been receiving threats from the photographers association that I must join them before I operate the business further. They threatened to raid my shop and even promised to invoke higher force/authority if I refuse to join. But I thought there is freedom of association as stipulated by the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria. Should I succumb to their threat or should I wrestle them out in the court of law should they carry out their threat indeed?
I dont think those fools should have any say in your choice of association, inform the police (good police o) and if possible consult a lawyer, the choice should always be yours to join or not!

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Join Photographers Association In Nigeria? by kunleben1: 1:06pm On Jan 31, 2018
suyamasta:

I dont think those fools should have any say in your choice of association, inform the police (good police o) and if possible consult a lawyer, the choice should always be yours to join or not!

Thank you sir. Lol @ good police o. How do I know good police at the station? smiley

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Join Photographers Association In Nigeria? by MrMcJay(m): 11:35pm On Feb 02, 2018
Eeya, the Excos of that association are about to enter prison and they don't even know.

Section 12(4) of the Trade Unions Act states that
"Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Act, membership of a trade union by employees shall be voluntary and no employee shall be forced to join any trade union or be victimised for refusing to join or remain a member."

OP, the day they seize anything from your shop, go and report to the police that they came to your shop with dangerous items, threatened to kill you if you stood in their way and made away with your cameras, various items and a heavy sum of money.

My brother, God has picked your call. Not only would the court jail the miscreants for armed robbery, you'll still sue them for assault, battery, trespass, malicious damage and every tortuous remedy and collect millions in damages.

Lalasticlala, Dominique, Obinoscopy, pls let more people see this and learn.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Join Photographers Association In Nigeria? by Ademat7(m): 5:25am On Feb 03, 2018
lalasticlala abeg this is a big issue
Re: Is It Compulsory To Join Photographers Association In Nigeria? by abilityC: 9:52am On Feb 03, 2018
MrMcJay:
Eeya, the Excos of that association are about to enter prison and they don't even know.

"Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Act, membership of a trade union by employees shall be voluntary and no employee shall be forced to join any trade union or be victimised for refusing to join or remain a member."
Wow i did not know this already exists, good to know this today
Re: Is It Compulsory To Join Photographers Association In Nigeria? by babane2016(m): 10:53am On Feb 03, 2018
Membership of any trade union in Nigeria is voluntary according to the law which came into force when obasanjo was president. A lawyer will throw more light on this.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Join Photographers Association In Nigeria? by kunleben1: 10:52am On Feb 06, 2018
MrMcJay:

OP, the day they seize anything from your shop, go and report to the police that they came to your shop with dangerous items, threatened to kill you if you stood in their way and made away with your cameras, various items and a heavy sum of money.

My brother, God has picked your call. Not only would the court jail the miscreants for armed robbery, you'll still sue them for assault, battery, trespass, malicious damage and every tortuous remedy and collect millions in damages.

Lalasticlala, Dominique, Obinoscopy, pls let more people see this and learn.

Thank you sir for this exposure. I will keep this in mind. Hopefully the police will not take their sides.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Join Photographers Association In Nigeria? by Omobada(m): 11:49am On Feb 06, 2018
kunleben1:

Thank you sir for this exposure. I will keep this in mind. Hopefully the police will not take their sides.
My bro, while I concur with the above suggestions I need to add that pls and pls involve a lawyer before going to any police station for report. You must know what I mean if you're Nigerian. Police officers are for the highest bidder and you know you're dealing with association which would have definitely have cordial relationships with police by settling them regularly.
I'm saying all this from experience, just last month I represent a client on this same issue. They almost detain him if not his brother who called me.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Join Photographers Association In Nigeria? by suyamasta(m): 5:35pm On Feb 06, 2018
kunleben1:

Thank you sir. Lol @ good police o. How do I know good police at the station? smiley
By their fruits you shall know them
Re: Is It Compulsory To Join Photographers Association In Nigeria? by drealsheggs: 8:59am On Apr 19, 2018
wow.....this is really a useful information.

(1) (Reply)

Have A Look At The Bankers Creed / You Need A Loan? Here Are 16 Basic Requirements For Seeking Loans From Banks / How To Start A Business Of Supplying Raw Materials To Companies In 12 Steps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.