Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,810 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? (26122 Views)

Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? / How I Got Interviewed For A Job On Upwork / Who Has Interviewed At Fundquest Financial Services Limited? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by naturefellow(m): 8:10am On Feb 01, 2018
wristbangle:

Bro, I am equally perplexed like you when I read the story.

For crying out loud, why would a recruiter judge a candidate based on her starving stomach knowing that they were the one that caused it by delaying her.

Some organisation judgement to access potential employees is horrible.

As for me, I totally disagree with her HR friend

Madam, this method to test her competence is archaic and seriously flawed. She might pretend and eventually collapsed during the interview session. On whose account would that read for. She didn't do anything wrong
Oga, never go to engagements as an interview or physical assessment or examination on an empty stomach.
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Jaykolo10(m): 8:10am On Feb 01, 2018
jeeqaa7:
Nothing is free...
Who knows what was put in that food?
That your stomach doesn't ache you doesn't mean you are safe.

Na so some people dey chop dia destiny for mouth..

ask esau.
Hope you prayed at least before eating the food.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by enigmang: 8:13am On Feb 01, 2018
bakynes:
Lemme make a few points here;

First, she wasn't tested with the food besides she was offered lunch she didn't request for it.

Second,She should have told the personel that asked her if she wanted lunch, that she wanted snacks. Why would a job seeker be eating oily food when she has an interview before her, that could make her too heavy or fit for the interview. Too heavy?? except the job is athletics

Finally, there is nothing bad accepting to eat if offered since they wasted her time for 3 hours, it's only normal to offer her lunch, I have been to quite a few interviews and they did offer us snacks not food, so she should have requested the personel buy her snacks instead of food.
Since most HR personnel interviewers access your dressing based on the Job,she was simply Disqualified because of the stain not for accepting food.

Yea .. i agree with the stain.. but you can eat without getting soiled. plus most likely it could be these companies that have lunch served to staff, and someone is offering you what they have, you say no go an buy me snack?
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Surrey2Bimshire: 8:14am On Feb 01, 2018
elantraceey:

Collapse? After just three hours? Then what will happen if she needs to work eight hours straight without food for something urgent? If you're going for an interview, you should go prepared, all round. What about people that are made to wait for 6-10 hours nko? You didn't go there to eat, you went for a job, wisdom should tell you what to do.

Our bodies are different. We aren’t all the same There are people that can’t funtion well without food due to their metabolism or health condition.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by wristbangle: 8:16am On Feb 01, 2018
naturefellow:
Oga, never go to engagements as an interview or physical assessment or examination on an empty stomach.

You are right bro but what if she rejected the meal which would be against the organisation culture? They might see her as being proud or rude.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by sholarb(m): 8:17am On Feb 01, 2018
You have to be exceptionally good to be hired in this situation (the oil stain alone says a lot about your type of person). People do wait all day to be interviewed so you have to be prepared for the worst you can think of.

I once went for an entry level interview and was delayed for a long time. At the end I was offered transport fare which I gladly accepted. Did I get the job, yes I did.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by debossng: 8:18am On Feb 01, 2018
Andy2274:
. You just judged yourself. Tell me what preparation is. I am not surprised if you are one of them that put graduate through written test and 3 oral interviews and the only time you see them smile at the applicant is when they want to tell you that your salary is #30,000 and you will work from Monday to Saturday. Go to good companies if they do all these nonsense. They give you time not those idiots that will send you interview message by 7pm for interview the next day by 8am at lekki when they see Iyana ipaja in your address. I have attended interview with 2 oil firms they serve breakfast and pay me. Ask anybody that have attended interview with Total and Saipem like 5 years back. HR people like you that graduate with 3rd class and was manipulated to be in position will be looking for first class and second class upper with 25years of age and 3yrs experience for a job of 30k.

You just made serious sense bro

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by bakynes(m): 8:24am On Feb 01, 2018
enigmang:

Yea .. i agree with the stain.. but you can eat without getting soiled. plus most likely it could be these companies that have lunch served to staff, and someone is offering you what they have, you say no go an buy me snack?
See you don't eat too much when going for an interview, it can make your stomach uneasy, you could feel like using the toilet so best to avoid proper food before your interview.

Besides I didn't say she should say "Go and buy me snacks" she can say "I wouldn't mind snacks please" just put it in a polite way.
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by wristbangle: 8:25am On Feb 01, 2018
hardbody:

In all my interviews with the upstream oil and gas companies, buffet was always part of the bargain and i will assume it's part of the assessment only to the extent they want to know how cultured you are and not to test my focus on the job. It will be arbitrary and unreasonable to remain hungry when I have food and the time to eat it. I have, on my own, requested for coffee a number of times in the course of an interview and it has never been used against me.

I remember attending an interview where we were offered meal. A particular guy did not eat the meal and did not eventually get the job. It's not about you rejecting a meal offered to prove you are cultured. It might even go against the organisation etiquettes.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Tunks2017(m): 8:27am On Feb 01, 2018
Alexgeneration:
All these useless standards to assess job seekers are because there are no jobs in this country. Most of these frustrated HR just capitalize on it to torment and punish job seekers.

To hell with their dumb job and recruitment process

This hr admin officers are very hapless set of rabbits,......
They just run around feeling like they are God & treat graduates like inmates.............. angry angry angry
Theese worthless companies doing wretched interviews with no aim will soon get what they deserve..........

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by FILEBE(m): 8:27am On Feb 01, 2018
elantraceey:

Collapse? After just three hours? Then what will happen if she needs to work eight hours straight without food for something urgent? If you're going for an interview, you should go prepared, all round. What about people that are made to wait for 6-10 hours nko? You didn't go there to eat, you went for a job, wisdom should tell you what to do.

Madam. Sorry, this is wrong, so wrong. What all these H. R do is just acting like a god. Would you prefer a neat employee who is lazy to a somewhat dirty employee who works hard and achieve exceptional results.
Just because she had a stain, she wasn't offered the job, what of she had eaten without the stains? It doesn't make sense that she has to lose her job for that reason at all. That can't affect her performance

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by naturefellow(m): 8:28am On Feb 01, 2018
wristbangle:

You are right bro but what if she rejected the meal which would be against the organisation culture? They might see her as being proud or rude.
I personally would have made no reservation about rejecting the offer even if I was famished, and ready to bear any consequence that comes along with no remorse or regrets. I went there job seeking, not looking for food please. I would be somewhere else, probably a buka/restaurant, if I left house just to eat. Focus and objectivity
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by arrestdarrester: 8:29am On Feb 01, 2018
Forget all these DOs and DON'Ts.

Wow them with confidence and competency.

But I advice you politely reject the meal with "I ate just before getting here", 'cause if you don't, you have only broadened the scope of the interview to your own disadvantage.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Chukaholic: 8:30am On Feb 01, 2018
elantraceey:

It is true that the recruiting skill of firms in this country is lacking the ability to select capable employees for various positions afterall employment is rarely based on merit else we won't be having a dullard for a president but we ain't talking about the recruiting skill of the firm here but about the decision of the lady , whatever happened to courtesy and simply saying no, thank you! Or maybe later? It was just for 2 hours 10mins for Christ sake! It's not about being real or fake, it's about perseverance, patience, focus , etc.

You sound too superficial with all your points. It's true everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but to me you sound like one who would do 5 things to get a job :
1. Anything,
2. Anything
3. Anything
4. Anything, and
5. Anything.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by snowblaq(f): 8:30am On Feb 01, 2018
elantraceey:

It might be "just after three hours" to you... But I've come to observe that people aren't the same and hence may suffer from different forms of ailments or the other..... She could have been fasting... She could have been too tensed to eat prior to coming for the interview but got relaxed while waiting and the hunger resurfaced.... Or maybe she is an ulcer patient... We won't know cos she never stated her reasons... Therefore she shouldn't be judged based on the fact that she ate... Besides she was asked... Not that she demanded for the food.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by debossng: 8:30am On Feb 01, 2018
Her only offense is the oil stain, that's all. The chopping thing is very okay. The company obviously offered her the meal out of courtesy not a set up. Trust me if she's good they'll certainly employ her.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by wajaja: 8:31am On Feb 01, 2018
wristbangle:
A young lady was invited to an interview for an entry level role. She arrived at the venue exactly 10minutes before the scheduled time and was asked to stay at the waiting room.

40 minutes later, a young man worked into the waiting room and apologised to her for the delay. He explained to her that the head of HR is trying to resolved an issue with an irate customer but will be with her shortly.

An hour 30mins later, the young man came back to apologize for further delay. This time around asked her if he could ger her lunch. Apparently this young lady was hungry and could no longer bare it. She accepted and a sumptuous meal was served.

She ate to her satisfaction but in the process got her white shirt stained with oil.

Not long after she finished her meal, the head of HR sent for her and immediately the interview began. The first question she was asked was "What happened to your shirt" She explained and the interview continued. At the end of the interview, she was told the usual "we will get back to you". When she got home, she narrated her experience to an HR friend.

Her friend told her it was wrong to have accepted the lunch as it could be used against her during decision making.

Do you agree with the HR friend?

Source: HR Forum Africa Post On LinkedIn

Lalasticlala

During my job interview, we were offered both breakfast and lunch. I ate both and I stilled got the job...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by meant4all: 8:37am On Feb 01, 2018
elantraceey:
I believe it was done to test her patience and focus on her objective, she didn't go there to eat but to get a job, if refreshment was initially stated as a part of the interview then it won't be wrong.
you have said it all
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Tunks2017(m): 8:37am On Feb 01, 2018
jeeqaa7:
Nothing is free...

Who knows what was put in that food?

That your stomach doesn't ache you doesn't mean you are safe.

Na so some people dey chop dia destiny for mouth..

ask esau.

Hope you prayed at least before eating the food.

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Teeboy22(m): 8:39am On Feb 01, 2018
wristbangle:
A young lady was invited to an interview for an entry level role. She arrived at the venue exactly 10minutes before the scheduled time and was asked to stay at the waiting room.

40 minutes later, a young man worked into the waiting room and apologised to her for the delay. He explained to her that the head of HR is trying to resolved an issue with an irate customer but will be with her shortly.

An hour 30mins later, the young man came back to apologize for further delay. This time around asked her if he could ger her lunch. Apparently this young lady was hungry and could no longer bare it. She accepted and a sumptuous meal was served.

She ate to her satisfaction but in the process got her white shirt stained with oil.

Not long after she finished her meal, the head of HR sent for her and immediately the interview began. The first question she was asked was "What happened to your shirt" She explained and the interview continued. At the end of the interview, she was told the usual "we will get back to you". When she got home, she narrated her experience to an HR friend.

Her friend told her it was wrong to have accepted the lunch as it could be used against her during decision making.

Lalasticlala

I once had something similar to this ..but not in Nigeria
Tho..

The interview was for 1pm I got there few mins before then waited n waited... They keep telling me to hold on that the boss is busy bla bla...the white girl (/secretary) offered me water or juice for almost 3 times I told her am.okay.. Not until the Fourth time I sha told her am.okay with juice then she brought a glass of juice.. Drank it finish( the cup nearly fall for my hand) grin..she asked if I wanted more ...I said am okay....

Few mins later I was called by the boss..then the then interview began...but na still..." We will get back to you " thing...after 2 days I called n the secretary said I wasn't selected.. Haha

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by debossng: 8:40am On Feb 01, 2018
arrestdarrester:
Forget all these DOs and DON'Ts.

Wow them with confidence and competency.

But I advice you politely reject the meal with "I ate just before getting here", 'cause if you don't, you have only broadened the scope of the interview to your own disadvantage.

After waiting for nearly 3hrs and you rejected the meal offer by " I just ate before getting here" so if you breakfast, you no go eat lunch again?
Please let's stop judging, eating or accepting to eat at interview is not an offense.
If you're good you'll get hired.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by agrovick(m): 8:41am On Feb 01, 2018
All these concept of test and what have you is bullsh.it. If she got dropped based on the food event, she is better off working somewhere else

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Sezua(m): 8:43am On Feb 01, 2018
elantraceey:

You are funny.
I remember attending an interview access bank. Food was served and i still got past that stage.
Which company in the world compels you to work for 8hours without food?
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Sezua(m): 8:45am On Feb 01, 2018
sholarb:
You have to be exceptionally good to be hired in this situation (the oil stain alone says a lot about your type of person). People do wait all day to be interviewed so you have to be prepared for the worst you can think of.

I once went for an entry level interview and was delayed for a long time. At the end I was offered transport fare which I gladly accepted. Did I get the job, yes I did.
i think the stain was the issue, not the food.
On a second thought, she may have failed to impress during the interview too.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by freeman95(m): 8:47am On Feb 01, 2018
MaconAwire:
CHAI!!

this one weak me!!

the do's n don'ts for this job tin don too much sef!!
mtcheew as if the HR people no be humans.....

wire was here!

Infact the matter taya me my bro

Like say the HR people na saint

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Great4God: 8:49am On Feb 01, 2018
All these makes meaning when you are starting out in the job space,at a point,all these wont matter or disturb you, I cant go for an interview now and someone will keep me for hours, I will simply tell them I have other things to do and gently work away, there are so many rubbish we take in this country in the name of looking for a job, you need to cross your mind,dont let it disturb you,if they call you fine, if they dont, is not gonna be the end

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by sisisioge: 8:54am On Feb 01, 2018
Haba! Is that what she went there to do? Tops, take coffee or water! Hian!

Anyways, looking on the bright side, she has broken even. She would only be making profit if they call her back grin
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Akexstinger(m): 9:04am On Feb 01, 2018
Andy2274:
. You just judged yourself. Tell me what preparation is. I am not surprised if you are one of them that put graduate through written test and 3 oral interviews and the only time you see them smile at the applicant is when they want to tell you that your salary is #30,000 and you will work from Monday to Saturday. Go to good companies if they do all these nonsense. They give you time not those idiots that will send you interview message by 7pm for interview the next day by 8am at lekki when they see Iyana ipaja in your address. I have attended interview with 2 oil firms they serve breakfast and pay me. Ask anybody that have attended interview with Total and Saipem like 5 years back. HR people like you that graduate with 3rd class and was manipulated to be in position will be looking for first class and second class upper with 25years of age and 3yrs experience for a job of 30k.
Man! You just nailed it. Most Nigerian HRS are one of the most insensitive HRs in the world.
They subject Nigerian applicants to crude recruitment process deceiving themselves that they are looking for the best and other set bla bla criteria.
The oil multinational is the best place to work

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by 1miccza: 9:04am On Feb 01, 2018
Her village people got to her and changed her title to ''yeye japosaya 1 of her workplace''
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by Dhorcas(f): 9:09am On Feb 01, 2018
Why na.
Me I'll eat the food oo
but will be very careful as not to stain My cloth.

The stain is definitely the problem. Not the food.
Why can't they even keep to time. sad

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by being(m): 9:14am On Feb 01, 2018
How would that sound for someone on the panel to suggest- she ate our food, therefore she is unfit. Wouldn't that person feel weird? Maybe the oil stain can be used as a bit of excuse but food?!!
wristbangle:

Lalasticlala
Re: Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? by paymentvoucher: 9:18am On Feb 01, 2018
JazzJazz,

To me, it doesn't speak well to accept the lunch. Hunger won't kill her that day you know.
jazzyjazz:
Paymentvoucher and gem3 what's your view on this topic?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

12 Painful Career Truths That People Conceal From Themselves / What's The Implication Of Working Without An Appointment Letter? / Graduates Get Paid As Low As #6000 Per Month In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.