Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,081 members, 7,807,233 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:24 AM

Why Are These States Referred To As North Central States? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are These States Referred To As North Central States? (4845 Views)

Malami: "I Deliberately Referred To Abacha Loot As "Abacha's Assets" / Afenifere, Ohanaeze Kick As North-west Gets Nine Senior Ministers / Can You Guess What Buhari Was Telling These States Governors In This Photo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are These States Referred To As North Central States? by boluwatife66(m): 4:48pm On Feb 01, 2018
royalamour:
According to geography, a place can either fall north or south.
What baffles me is the north central thing.

Kogi, Benue, Abuja, Plateau, Kwara, Niger and Nasarawa.

What is north central? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Please anybody with an explanation to this?

Please help my ministry.
They coined th term to suit themself. i wonder why we dont have south central. i am from kogi and i knw i am not a northerner, geographically or blood wise i am yoruba and the hausa man making declaration of state is not the one to determine who i am. but trust nija, the take anything thrown at them and even defend it.

1 Like

Re: Why Are These States Referred To As North Central States? by boluwatife66(m): 4:58pm On Feb 01, 2018
KenOne:
Everything we in the East cry. North has 3 geo-political zone, North-West, North-East and North-Central. Then South has 3 geo-political zone also, South-West, South- East and South-South. But we in South are still complaining when it's equal number of zones. And come to think of it someone said it's politics and doesn't agree to have North-Central because South does not have South Central my question is does North have North- North like we have South -South. Some arguments are becoming childish, laced with stupidity and lack substance.
U are the one who is childish here. these arangement is one of the reasons why we are where we are as a nation now. let me give u an example, i am from a town call ponyan in kogi state, we speak okun dialect just like the people of irele and oke ako. these two towns are treckable from my town, but they are in ekiti state (south west). These and many things are why people are calling for boundry adjustment and restructuring.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are These States Referred To As North Central States? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Feb 01, 2018
KenOne:
Everything we in the East cry. North has 3 geo-political zone, North-West, North-East and North-Central. Then South has 3 geo-political zone also, South-West, South- East and South-South. But we in South are still complaining when it's equal number of zones. And come to think of it someone said it's politics and doesn't agree to have North-Central because South does not have South Central my question is does North have North- North like we have South -South. Some arguments are becoming childish, laced with stupidity and lack substance.
geographically, south south is wrong.

1 Like

Re: Why Are These States Referred To As North Central States? by royalamour(m): 6:57pm On Feb 01, 2018
badboywizzy:
geographically, south south is wrong.

What is south south? Is that even part of the coordinates?
Re: Why Are These States Referred To As North Central States? by rummmy: 3:49am On Feb 02, 2018
More than 250 minorities in the North could have been seperated from Housas as well..No state in the north have less than 20 tribes
obailala:
Hmm... didnt know the SW had many tribes.

I guess the idea was to group all the minority tribes of the SS area together, thats the logic behind having Cross Rivers in the SS instead of SE.

Re: Why Are These States Referred To As North Central States? by Nobody: 6:14am On Feb 02, 2018
LaudableXX:

Get out of my mentions, pls!
why
Re: Why Are These States Referred To As North Central States? by herraph: 8:02am On Feb 02, 2018
lawman88:
I'm from Benue state, we are not North Central.we are CENTRAL NIGERIA and you can also call us MIDDLE BELT. There is nothing like north central. They are just using that to oppress us politically and lay claim to our land

Benue is NORTH Central !
Re: Why Are These States Referred To As North Central States? by HAH: 8:50am On Feb 02, 2018
To those who don't know, before amalgamation there was country or protectorate called northern Nigeria, southern Nigeria and Lagos colony. After amalgamation there regions were created northern state, south west and south east.

In all the above Benue, kogi, plateau, kwara, nasarawa were part of northern Nigeria,

Nothing but your hatred and bitterness for north is causing those though of yours that you are not north central. Benue is northern Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are These States Referred To As North Central States? by obailala(m): 8:59am On Feb 02, 2018
rummmy:
More than 250 minorities in the North could have been seperated from Housas as well..No state in the north have less than 20 tribes
And how exactly could that map have been drawn?... In the SE, there are 5 full states that are 100% Igbo, and the states all share boundaries. I'm not sure I even understand the tribal spread of the north; are there any states that are homogenously Hausa or fulani? If there's anything which is common up north, it's the fact that everybody speaks hausa.
Re: Why Are These States Referred To As North Central States? by obailala(m): 9:11am On Feb 02, 2018
royalamour:

What is south south? Is that even part of the coordinates?
In simple geography, you have just 4 compass point. But a country isnt necessarily a simple square or circle where you can simply apply the 4 simple compass points (north-east-west-south).

In assigning geographical regions for nations, I'm sure you've heard things like north, north central, west, mid-west, middle-east, south-central, far east, north central etc; this is standard practice all over the world and you cant claim not to have heard it so I wonder why the term south-south is a surprise. Besides, it is called a GEO-POLITICAL ZONE and not a GEOGRAPHIC ZONE.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are These States Referred To As North Central States? by LaudableXX: 2:38am On Feb 04, 2018
HAH:
To those who don't know, before amalgamation there was country or protectorate called northern Nigeria, southern Nigeria and Lagos colony. After amalgamation there regions were created northern state, south west and south east.

In all the above Benue, kogi, plateau, kwara, nasarawa were part of northern Nigeria,

Nothing but your hatred and bitterness for north is causing those though of yours that you are not north central. Benue is northern Nigeria

Oga, you started well, but ended rather badly. Benue is Middle Belt, NOT Northern Nigeria. Please correct yourself.
The same goes for kogi, plateau, kwara, nasarawa which used to be grouped as part of northern Nigeria, but are now firmly located within the Middle Belt and prefer to be addressed as such. The notion of one indivisible north, is no longer true. It was a political slogan to get cheap votes. Everyone in the MB region, has seen through it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ministerial Screening: You Abandoned Me – Saraki Tells PDP Senators / Nnamdi Kanu Honour Executive Invitation As He Attends Trump's Make America Great / American Warns Buhari To Stop Soldiers From Beating Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.