Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:40 AM

50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa (25149 Views)

Lady Bitten To Death By Snake In Abuja As She Sat To Urinate / Bovine Tuberculosis: Abia Commissioner Warns Residents Against Eating Cow Lungs / Young Boy Dies After Being Bitten By Snake In A Primary School In Delta. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by Realsman405(m): 9:40pm On Feb 03, 2018
Over 50 rushed to hospital after eating cow that reportedly died from snake bite
08:47 02/02/2018 Derrick Spies, Correspondent
Mthatha - Over 50 people from Mpoza village outside Tsolo were rushed to various hospitals around Mthatha on Thursday, after eating meat from a cow that had reportedly died from a snake bite.

Eastern Cape Department of Health spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo said the patients were initially ferried to Dr Malizo Mpehle Memorial Hospital in Tsolo, where some of them reported that they had eaten the meat from the carcass of an animal that had died after being bitten by a snake.

He said the patients experienced diarrhoea, vomiting, headaches and stomach cramps.

Among those who were ill were 16 children, eight of whom had been transferred to the Nelson Mandela Academic Hospital's paediatric ward, while the others were treated at Mthatha Regional Hospital.

Kupelo said four elderly patients were also transferred to Nelson Mandela Academic Hospital for further treatment.

"Given the mass casualty nature of the incident, St Barnabas Hospital in Libode has also been put on standby to create space for additional patients that don't require tertiary or regional services," he said.

Kupelo said the department was urging communities to stop consuming meat from dead animals as it was dangerous to do so.

https://m.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/over-50-rushed-to-hospital-after-eating-cow-that-reportedly-died-from-snake-bite-20180202

1 Like

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by taylor88(m): 9:41pm On Feb 03, 2018
Buhari must hear this

Those snakes are going to jail

For hurting a living animal more precious than human lives

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by ekrizz(m): 9:46pm On Feb 03, 2018
I'm not surprised. Anything Buhari=herdsmen=cows are all killers

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by brownsugar23: 9:46pm On Feb 03, 2018
Lesson to Nigeria not all meats you should eat especially dead ones no go area but Una no go hear

14 Likes

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by sirgalahad26(m): 9:49pm On Feb 03, 2018
and when you tell them not every meat is bae, they look at u with disgust!

8 Likes

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by emeijeh(m): 10:06pm On Feb 03, 2018
They ate venom.

Lala go honor this pictureless snake thread so?!

4 Likes

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by divinehand2003(m): 11:08pm On Feb 03, 2018
Lalasticlala won't take this news lightly oooo.

But how can we identify and avoid buying a cow killed by snake bite when it has been butchered in pieces and placed on the counter to be sold to the unsuspecting public?

14 Likes

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by loadedvibes: 12:44pm On Feb 04, 2018
Lol.. either the herdsmen are killing people or their cows are killing people..

4 Likes

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by benny4wax(m): 12:44pm On Feb 04, 2018
F
Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by nkwuocha: 12:45pm On Feb 04, 2018
Possible ?!

So the heat can't kill the venom or what?!?

7 Likes

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by princechurchill(m): 12:45pm On Feb 04, 2018
The acid in the stomach is active than a consumed venom sorry sir i don't think its the venom in a snake that caused that

9 Likes

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by DavSagacity(m): 12:46pm On Feb 04, 2018
Hmmmm....Abeg shey such venomous snakes no dey Nigeria to help us reduce the population of Fulani cattles ni....

2 Likes

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by princemillla(m): 12:46pm On Feb 04, 2018
ekrizz:
I'm not surprised. Anything Buhari=herdsmen=cows are all killers

Stop this masturbatiion. That's south Africa not Nigeria

14 Likes

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by Olateef(m): 12:46pm On Feb 04, 2018
How do we know a cow bitten by a snake
Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by DavSagacity(m): 12:47pm On Feb 04, 2018
princechurchill:
The acid in the stomach is active than a consumed venom sorry sir i don't think its the venom in a snake that caused that

There are different acids and alkaline salts in the human system that act on specific substrate in the body. Ptyalin, an enzyme that is found in the saliva acts on starchy foods and metabolize the maltose to two sugar units. Hydrochloric acid is one of the acids found in the stomach wall ( others are potassium chloride and sodium chloride) walls has specific function they do in the breakdown of food substances. Hydrochloric activates pepsinogen into the enzyme pepsin, which then helps digestion by breaking the bonds linking amino acids, a process known as proteolysis. . likewise gall bladder which contain sodium taurocholate and sodium glycocholates they emusify fats in order to aid the activities of enzymes to break whatever fatty food was eaten. So if a poisoned meat is eaten, the venom first must have passed through the blood vessels, tissues and fibre before reaching the heart.
The implication is that they eat venom indirectly. The stomach acids are not meant to breakdown venoms. it is the liver that carry out deamination function in the body.

So pls don't expect the stomach system to break down venom for you Ooo. Long throat dey kill pass bullet nowadays.
stay safe.!!,

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by MJBOLT: 12:48pm On Feb 04, 2018
i doubt if that sh!t can happen here,my people go roast the poison comot from the cow undecided and even eat the snake to hold belle grin

1 Like

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by dollyptosh(m): 12:48pm On Feb 04, 2018
Ijekuje undecided

1 Like

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by Iphone5: 12:49pm On Feb 04, 2018
RIP in advance

Foolish South Africans
Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by mexzony: 12:53pm On Feb 04, 2018
If cooked well the venom should be rendered useless. I don't think it's the venom I have watched a program where a man killed a venomous snake and roasted it and ate it and nothing happened. I stand to be corrected Though .

1 Like

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by Kirgyakos(m): 12:54pm On Feb 04, 2018
Long-Throat

1 Like

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by histemple: 12:54pm On Feb 04, 2018
This is a false report. No venom can remain active after cooking the meat at a boiling point.

If it happened to those who butchered it, I can consider believing this report.
Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by Nobody: 12:57pm On Feb 04, 2018
Dead cow kwa. Eeww. How dem take know say na cobra

1 Like

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by talktrue1(m): 12:59pm On Feb 04, 2018
Jus llike that. What about those that eats the snake

1 Like

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by Nobody: 1:06pm On Feb 04, 2018
They probably didn't die from the venom cos the venom would have been broken down if it was still potent after cooking.
It should be common sense though that you don't consume the flesh of an animal that wasn't killed but died on it's own.
Things like mad cow disease come to mind

1 Like

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by maskamdo(m): 1:11pm On Feb 04, 2018
GREEDY BUNCH..

SO ONLY FIFTY OF THEM WANTED TO EAT A WHOLE COW..

1 Like

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by Nobody: 1:12pm On Feb 04, 2018
DavSagacity:

There are different acids and alkaline salts in the human system that act on specific substrate in the body. Ptyalin, an enzyme that is found in the saliva acts on starchy foods and metabolize the maltose to two sugar units. Hydrochloric acid in the stomach walls has specific function they do in the breakdown of food substances. likewise gall bladder which contain sodium taurocholate and sodium glycocholates they emusify fats in order to aid the activities of enzymes to break whatever fatty food was eaten. So if a poisoned meat is eaten, the venom first must have passed through the blood vessels, tissues and fibre before reaching the heart.
The implication is that they eat venom indirectly. The stomach acids are not meant to breakdown venoms. it is the liver that carry out deamination function in the body.

So pls don't expect the stomach system to break down venom for you Ooo. Long throat dey kill pass bullet nowadays.
stay safe.!!,
Snake venom is merely modified saliva, or a combination of many different proteins and enzymes. Venoms are very different from poison, they're neurotoxins.
The proteins and enymes in venom will have been denatured and therefore lose their potency due to heat during cooking so will pose no danger if present in consumed meat

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by Maziebuka01(m): 1:12pm On Feb 04, 2018
That can't happen in Nigeria, because we will both the cow n the snake
Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by Nobody: 1:12pm On Feb 04, 2018
Ooh la la
Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by Danny287(m): 1:16pm On Feb 04, 2018
Long throat is bad oh but anyhow sha sorry to them.
Re: 50 Hospitalised After Eating Cow Bitten By Snake In South Africa by Dongreat(m): 1:17pm On Feb 04, 2018
Well this is quite trivial as my guess will not be on the venom from the snake but the bacteria in the carcass. Perhaps it’s decayed and hunger has no room for sanity. Moreover, not all bacteria found in decayed meat can be killed by heat or cold.
Snakes venom mostly works on muscles, skeletal muscle, to cause paralysis so my guess here will be food poisoning.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Have Ocd And Some Other Mental Disorder... I Hate Myself... Please Help... / Man Electrocuted While Reconnecting Electricity In Abia (Video) / My Doctor Told Me That Am Infected With HIV Without Prior Notice Of The Test!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.