Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,156 members, 7,807,522 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:41 PM

I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. (3915 Views)

Nigerian VIO Officer Cries For Help As Driver Fights For His Car Key (video) / N90million Koenigsegg Regera’s Key Is The Most Expensive Car Key In The World / What Happens If You Take The Car Key Out While Driving? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 6:38am On Feb 06, 2018
I imported a car, and 1 of the keys got lost at Copart location in the US. So when the car arrived, it came with only 1 key which is like a spare. So I decided to make a new programmed remote key. I went to Oyingbo where they deal in Honda parts, and I called the guy who usually assist me when I’m in the market since 2014. He then called the guys who would make the key and we negotiated price. The key guys asked me to give them the key to cut. I was reluctant and I told the guy I know in the market, he too told me to give them the key to cut and said I can wait in his shop. I asked him if we are not supposed to be there when they are cutting the key, and said hope this is safe. He replied in pidgin. “Why you dey fear” “Give dem make dem go cut am”. I gave the key guys the key and I waited in his shop with him. At some point, he left his shop. But I was still there.

They cut the key successfully and then he called me that the final stage is programming. I came out from his shop and We all went to the car and it was programmed.

After the key was programmed. They tested it and it didn’t work. Then they said the engine that came with the key casing was probably bad. Then one of the key guys left to bring another engine. They put it and programmed it and it worked. Then they left with the other engine they claimed was bad.

I balanced them and they left. I asked my guy in the market, if these guys haven’t done anything shady, he replied in pidgin “for where”

I took his word because since 2014 that I’ve known him, he has been transparent in his dealings. and I left the market happy since I made the new key successfully.

Now one of my spirit is telling me that something is not right. I remembered a story I heard years back about some guys in a car wash who duplicated a customers key that dropped the car to wash, put a gps tracker, monitored the customer and stole the car.

Honestly, I’ve been restless for the past few days. I feel that they have duplicated my car key and installed a gps tracker, probably while I was waiting at the other guys shop.

One last thing is that, the vehicle has navigation. Though the navigation has not been set. I noticed a message just pops up sometime on the screen and it started after I left the market. “Vehicle is Out of Database Coverage Area”. This message has never ever showed before.

My spirit is telling me that it’s related to something about GPS. I don’t know

Please guys, what do I do from here.
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by taylor88(m): 6:43am On Feb 06, 2018
Village people
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 6:45am On Feb 06, 2018
Alexkene:
I imported a car, and 1 of the keys got lost at Copart location in the US. So when the car arrived, it came with only 1 key which is like a spare. So I decided to make a new programmed remote key. I went to Oyingbo where they deal in Honda parts, and I called the guy who usually assist me when I’m in the market since 2014. He then called the guys who would make the key and we negotiated price. The key guys asked me to give them the key to cut. I was reluctant and I told the guy I know in the market, he too told me to give them the key to cut and said I can wait in his shop. I asked him if we are not supposed to be there when they are cutting the key, and said hope this is safe. He replied in pidgin. “Why you dey fear” “Give dem make dem go cut am”. I gave the key guys the key and I waited in his shop with him. At some point, he left his shop. But I was still there.

They cut the key successfully and then he called me that the final stage is programming. I came out from his shop and We all went to the car and it was programmed.

After the key was programmed. They tested it and it didn’t work. Then they said the engine that came with the key casing was probably bad. Then one of the key guys left to bring another engine. They put it and programmed it and it worked. Then they left with the other engine they claimed was bad.

I balanced them and they left. I asked my guy in the market, if these guys haven’t done anything shady, he replied in pidgin “for where”

I took his word because since 2014 that I’ve known him, he has been transparent in his dealings. and I left the market happy since I made the new key successfully.

Now one of my spirit is telling me that something is not right. I remembered a story I heard years back about some guys in a car wash who duplicated a customers key that dropped the car to wash, put a gps tracker, monitored the customer and stole the car.

Honestly, I’ve been restless for the past few days. I feel that they have duplicated my car key and installed a gps tracker, probably while I was waiting at the other guys shop.

One last thing is that, the vehicle has navigation. Though the navigation has not been set. I noticed a message just pops up sometime on the screen and it started after I left the market. “Vehicle is Out of Database Coverage Area”. This message has never ever showed before.

Mods, please front page. Cc Marpol, Dominique
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by themonk(m): 6:46am On Feb 06, 2018
You too dey para
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 6:59am On Feb 06, 2018
try to give it to another person that handle it to make an extra key for you again and then ask them passionately that op the car wasn't tracked when they are about to finish the key.
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by decub: 7:10am On Feb 06, 2018
Alexkene:

There are so many sides to your ordeal.

Firstly, you are already engulfed with fear of the unknown.

Secondly, the situation is a two way thing; the deal might have been shady(they might have jabbed you) or they simply did their job honestly and gave you desired result. I choose to take the later.

Let's also take time to analyze the overall situation from outset. You lost the original key in transit or wherever and on the other end, the key guys reported that the engine was PROBABLY bad. Put 1 & 1 together, the seller may have intentionally removed the original key since it is no longer useful.

Your helper at some point, left his shop and went to "who knows where"; you don't expect him to stay with you all through cos they also source for customers.

The navigation sends some kinda report after the programming. Remember, the car's default settings and aid devices have been altered so it's bound to send some signals.

While my opinion shouldn't form a basis for your decision, I also think fear, sheer coincidence and other persons' experience may have ignited your suspicion.

JMO

8 Likes

Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 7:16am On Feb 06, 2018
decub:

There are so many sides to your ordeal.

Firstly, you are already engulfed with fear of the unknown.

Secondly, the situation is a two way thing; the deal might have been shady(they might have jabbed you) or they simply did their job honestly and gave you desired result. I choose to take the later.

Let's also take time to analyze the overall situation from outset. You lost the original key in transit or wherever and on the other end, the key guys reported that the engine was PROBABLY bad. Put 1 & 1 together, the seller may have intentionally removed the original key since it is no longer useful.

Your helper at some point, left his shop and went to "who knows where"; you don't expect him to stay with you all through cos they also source for customers.

The navigation sends some kinda report after the programming. Remember, the car's default settings and aid devices have been altered so it's bound to send some signals.

While my opinion shouldn't form a basis for your decision, I also think fear, sheer coincidence and other persons' experience may have ignited your suspicion.

JMO
The engine that was reportedly bad was not the engine of my car key. It was the engine of the new key they brought to program with my car.
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by ipobarecriminals: 7:33am On Feb 06, 2018
Dnt trust those fl@theads people, they are criminals..From ladipo to Alaba,oyingbo,Tin can,,dey are thieves.Abeg,carry ur moto go elsewhere. Let dem disable whatever. they installed. Change the key/system. U are good to go.
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by SOFTENGR: 7:46am On Feb 06, 2018
taylor88:
Village people
Must you accuse village people for all your mistakes?

1 Like

Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by agohmamuda(m): 7:50am On Feb 06, 2018
When dealing with sensitive parts of your car, always go to: Elizade, Sata Motors, SDD, Stallion Motors etc

2 Likes

Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by sobastical: 8:10am On Feb 06, 2018
SOFTENGR:

Must you accuse village people for all your mistakes?

Don't mind him
They're in their own now before he starts mentioning them by the time they pay him a visit he will run to us to start narrating super story... yeyenatu

1 Like

Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by sobastical: 8:13am On Feb 06, 2018
Alexkene:
The engine that was reportedly bad was not the engine of my car. It was the engine of the new key they brought to program with my car.

Probably some new data has been installed to the car but I wish there was something like car scanner to know what's new in the car's database.

I want to believe the key programming is the one at work though..
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 8:32am On Feb 06, 2018
sobastical:

Probably some new data has been installed to the car but I wish there was something like car scanner to know what's new in the car's database.

I want to believe the key programming is the one at work though..
Sir, what are you saying in essence? That they did something shady?
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 8:33am On Feb 06, 2018
GAZZUZZ, sir I need your advice
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by lumzybo: 8:35am On Feb 06, 2018
Buy a steering/pedal lock. Use it always. It Myt sound crude but it works.

IMO, I think you are just paranoid
#staywoke

9 Likes

Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by sobastical: 8:42am On Feb 06, 2018
Alexkene:
Sir, what are you saying in essence? That they did something shady?

It's a two way thing... and with my few knowledge in ICT
if a new programme is installed it will come with its own database storage and possibly comes with new icon on the interface. So it could be possibly be the key programme installed that comes with such package.
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by sobastical: 8:43am On Feb 06, 2018
lumzybo:
Buy a steering/pedal lock. Use it always. It Myt sound crude but it works.

IMO, I think you are just paranoid
#staywoke

This should suffice for the OP

1 Like

Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by baconline(m): 9:10am On Feb 06, 2018
What's the car model
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:43am On Feb 06, 2018
Alexkene:

insure your car, go and sleep.

Cc axamansard.

Meanwhile your vehicle is now in a shift hole country and map is out of GPS coverage area grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by gcof(m): 9:49am On Feb 06, 2018
Please get a peddle lock, that type you kneel on both knees before locking/unlocking

1 Like

Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 9:55am On Feb 06, 2018
baconline:
What's the car model
Honda Accord
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 9:56am On Feb 06, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

insure your car, go and sleep.

Cc axamansard.

Meanwhile your vehicle is now in a shift hole country and map is out of GPS coverage area grin
Boss, you’re scaring me.
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by lilkech(m): 10:10am On Feb 06, 2018
Alexkene:
Honda Accord

ahh Honda accords dey hard to thief Na

Unless they duplicate your key ... or point you gun .... or you stop to go and piss and they jump in and zoom off ... or you get drunk and forget where you parked it ... or ... or

Oga you’re just paranoid jor

Buy the steering and pedal lock to be rest assured or change the ignition of your car to a fresh one

If you’re afraid of keys you can hang one colorful ‘juju’ on the car (complete with bloodied chicken feather and goat horn) every time you leave it parked ... even breeze go fear to blow the car after then

7 Likes

Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by aieromon(m): 10:12am On Feb 06, 2018
Alexkene:
[/b] Boss, you’re scaring me.

I think you worry too much. Install a tracking device and enjoy your ride.

You can get an autoelectrician to trouble shoot if any GPS tracker was installed in your absence.
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by oluwaseunla(m): 10:16am On Feb 06, 2018
What car is this? In many cars, you can log into the ECU with a scanner and delete extra keys.

Meanwhile insure comprehensively as advised.

1 Like

Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Fogman(m): 10:35am On Feb 06, 2018
Follow advice of the guru's here:
1. Get a comprehensive insurance 2. Instal a tracker 3. Get a pedal lock
Good luck
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 10:37am On Feb 06, 2018
oluwaseunla:
What car is this? In many cars, you can log into the ECU with a scanner and delete extra keys.

It’s a Honda Accord Crosstour
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 10:48am On Feb 06, 2018
oluwaseunla:

Boss, I think your option is the best bet for now. I have 2 keys with me already and would love to delete or render any third key useless, can you handle this or recommend someone for me? I would pay.

I have inquired about comprehensive insurance and I’m saving towards that. I can’t afford it for now.
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by oluwaseunla(m): 11:02am On Feb 06, 2018
Alexkene:
Boss, I think your option is the best bet for now. I have 2 keys with me already and would love to delete or render any third key useless, can you handle this or recommend someone for me? I would pay.

I have inquired about comprehensive insurance and I’m saving towards that. I can’t afford it for now.

My number is in my signature.
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 1:37pm On Feb 06, 2018
oluwaseunla:

Oga GAZZUZZ, is this possible? Do you also have such scanner?
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:47pm On Feb 06, 2018
Alexkene:
Oga GAZZUZZ, is this possible? Do you also have such scanner?

it is possible.

Go and insure your car. I avoid KEY jobs so that I do not get roped into a robbery case.

6 Likes

Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by symbianDON(m): 5:16pm On Feb 06, 2018
op na wa to you o grin if you think they installed a tracker, you too go and install your own na! if they track you and thief your car, you too go track them collect am back! cunning man die cunning man bury am.

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Engine Rebuild / Ruling On Tinted Glass / Man Diesel Truck Brain Box Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.