Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,135 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. (3920 Views)

Nigerian VIO Officer Cries For Help As Driver Fights For His Car Key (video) / N90million Koenigsegg Regera’s Key Is The Most Expensive Car Key In The World / What Happens If You Take The Car Key Out While Driving? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 5:17pm On Feb 06, 2018
All you need do is go to some other programmer and have the two keys reprogrammed. This deletes earlier memory of keys stored in the immobilization unit. This time around ensure to be present when the two (and no other) are programmed.
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 5:24pm On Feb 06, 2018
Costee:
All you need do is go to some other programmer and have the two keys reprogrammed. This deletes earlier memory of keys stored in the immobilization unit. This time around ensure to be present when the two (and no other) are programmed.
Will the reprogramming render the supposed duplicated key I’m concerned about useless??
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 5:27pm On Feb 06, 2018
oluwaseunla:
What car is this? In many cars, you can log into the ECU with a scanner and delete extra keys.

Meanwhile insure comprehensively as advised.
Costee, is this same with what you’re saying ?? About getting the 2 keys repogrammed?
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:38pm On Feb 06, 2018
symbianDON:
op na wa to you o grin if you think they installed a tracker, you too go and install your own na! if they track you and thief your car, you too go track them collect am back! cunning man die cunning man bury am.

NL grin never a dull moment...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 5:38pm On Feb 06, 2018
Alexkene:
Will the reprogramming render the supposed duplicated key I’m concerned about useless??
Yes. Here's what you can also do to test. When you go for reprogramming tell the programmer to programme just one of the keys (preferably the original). Then try to start the car with the other key not reprogrammed. If it does not start the key, it means it has been deleted by the reprogramming. You'd have to reprogramme both at the same time.
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 5:51pm On Feb 06, 2018
Costee:

Yes. Here's what you can also do to test. When you go for reprogramming tell the programmer to programme just one of the keys (preferably the original). Then try to start the car with the other key not reprogrammed. If it does not start the key, it means it has been deleted by the reprogramming. You'd have to reprogramme both at the same time.
Thanks for the info.
1. I hope I wouldn’t have to start cutting a new key and would just focus on the reprogramming.

2. How about the programmer logging into the ECU of the car using a scanner and deleting extra keys, but living my two keys programmed as is. Someone suggested it above. Is that also a viable solution?
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 5:59pm On Feb 06, 2018
Alexkene:
Thanks for the info.
1. I hope I wouldn’t have to start cutting a new key and would just focus on the reprogramming.

2. How about the programmer logging into the ECU of the car using a scanner and deleting extra keys, but living my two keys programmed as is. Someone suggested it above. Is that also a viable solution?
1. No you do not need new keys.
2. You can delete a key in the immobilization unit, if the system is such that allows adding extra keys. But the system in your car is different: if you must add any extra key, then all previous keys must come along in the welcome ceremony grin
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 6:36pm On Feb 06, 2018
Costee:

1. No you do not need new keys.
2. You can delete a key in the immobilization unit, if the system is such that allows adding extra keys. But the system in your car is different: if you must add any extra key, then all previous keys must come along in the welcome ceremony grin
So you’re saying the option of deleting extra keys from the ECU is not possible. Bear in mind that the car is a Honda Crosstour. An expert above affirmed that it’s possible.
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 6:52pm On Feb 06, 2018
Alexkene:
So you’re saying the option of deleting extra keys from the ECU is not possible. Bear in mind that the car is a Honda Crosstour. An expert above affirmed that it’s possible.
Expert on what? Anyway, I think I've said my take.

1 Like

Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 7:13pm On Feb 06, 2018
Costee:

Expert on what? Anyway, I think I've said my take.
Alright. Thanks sir
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 7:31pm On Feb 06, 2018
Alexkene:
“Vehicle is Out of Database Coverage Area”

Factory navigation never works in this 'shithole' country. This is the reason for this message. It probably has been there before u went for key programming and u just noticed because of ur curiousity. Doesn't take away the possibility of them have a 3rd key though.
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Great6Pack(m): 7:53pm On Feb 06, 2018
Alexkene pls call 07065245534 to install the best tracker in your vehicle. That way you can be monitoring your car yourself with no third party interference.
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 8:26pm On Feb 06, 2018
greenhulk:

Factory navigation never works in this 'shithole' country. This is the reason for this message. It probably has been there before u went for key programming and u just noticed because of ur curiousity. Doesn't take away the possibility of them have a 3rd key though.
So what is the solution to setting the navigation right?
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by idu1(m): 9:55pm On Feb 06, 2018
Paranoia

2 Likes

Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 1:15am On Feb 07, 2018
Alexkene:
So what is the solution to setting the navigation right?

Unless u can get the factory DVD with the Nigerian map. Unfortunately Honda only makes DVD maps for US and Canada (for the North American imports). So once the car is out of those regions u get that message on the NavScreen. Ur best solution is to replace the screen with an aftermarket head unit, or just leave it like that and ignore the message. The pic below is from ur car's owner manual.

And u can check this Acura forum with similar problem
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-90/vehicle-out-database-coverage-area-949063/

Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Originalsly: 4:47am On Feb 07, 2018
Hmmm....you have spiritual problems... how many spirits inside of you?...whatever we say... a spirit will pop up and whisper something else.....and....you will listen. .

1 Like

Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by lorenzos1: 6:05am On Feb 07, 2018
Alexkene:
I imported a car, and 1 of the keys got lost at Copart location in the US. So when the car arrived, it came with only 1 key which is like a spare. So I decided to make a new programmed remote key. I went to Oyingbo where they deal in Honda parts, and I called the guy who usually assist me when I’m in the market since 2014. He then called the guys who would make the key and we negotiated price. The key guys asked me to give them the key to cut. I was reluctant and I told the guy I know in the market, he too told me to give them the key to cut and said I can wait in his shop. I asked him if we are not supposed to be there when they are cutting the key, and said hope this is safe. He replied in pidgin. “Why you dey fear” “Give dem make dem go cut am”. I gave the key guys the key and I waited in his shop with him. At some point, he left his shop. But I was still there.

They cut the key successfully and then he called me that the final stage is programming. I came out from his shop and We all went to the car and it was programmed.

After the key was programmed. They tested it and it didn’t work. Then they said the engine that came with the key casing was probably bad. Then one of the key guys left to bring another engine. They put it and programmed it and it worked. Then they left with the other engine they claimed was bad.

I balanced them and they left. I asked my guy in the market, if these guys haven’t done anything shady, he replied in pidgin “for where”

I took his word because since 2014 that I’ve known him, he has been transparent in his dealings. and I left the market happy since I made the new key successfully.

Now one of my spirit is telling me that something is not right. I remembered a story I heard years back about some guys in a car wash who duplicated a customers key that dropped the car to wash, put a gps tracker, monitored the customer and stole the car.

Honestly, I’ve been restless for the past few days. I feel that they have duplicated my car key and installed a gps tracker, probably while I was waiting at the other guys shop.

One last thing is that, the vehicle has navigation. Though the navigation has not been set. I noticed a message just pops up sometime on the screen and it started after I left the market. “Vehicle is Out of Database Coverage Area”. This message has never ever showed before.

My spirit is telling me that it’s related to something about GPS. I don’t know

Please guys, what do I do from here.

Oga go and get a steering or pedal lock for now.. Before ur car disappears.. U can get someone to check it later...
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 6:35pm On Feb 07, 2018
Any further contributions?
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 7:59pm On Feb 07, 2018
Costee:
Boss, quick question. After I get the keys reprogrammed. I read online that the keys supposedly with the thieves would still be able to unlock the car door (metal key). But won’t start the ignition? Is it true?
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 9:30pm On Feb 07, 2018
Alexkene:
Boss, quick question. After I get the keys reprogrammed. I read online that the keys supposedly with the thieves would still be able to unlock the car door (metal key). But won’t start the ignition? Is it true?

Yes, metal keys are mechanical
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 1:31am On Feb 08, 2018
greenhulk:

Yes, metal keys are mechanical
Now What if the thieves come prepared on the day of the theft and appear one night with the machine they used in programming it for me before. Open the doors with the metal keys and then reprogram the keys again quickly and zoom off embarassed
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Hollasmall: 2:06am On Feb 08, 2018
Alexkene:
Now What if the thieves come prepared on the day of the theft and appear one night with the machine they used in programming it for me before. Open the doors with the metal keys and then reprogram the keys again quickly and zoom off embarassed

Guy you get problem oo,then dey try help you and you still dey come up with another negative idea ontop Honda oo.Those wey con buy G wagon nko wetinmake them do.

7 Likes

Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 2:21am On Feb 08, 2018
Hollasmall:

Guy you get problem oo,then dey try help you and you still dey come up with another negative idea ontop Honda oo.Those wey con buy G wagon nko wetinmake them do.
Bros, no be my fault. I don suffer for this life. Can’t afford to lose all I got
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by connkg(m): 2:22am On Feb 08, 2018
Alexkene:

I just can't stop laughing! At 1am, you're thinking about them re programming quickly and zooming off? Sleep, na?
Seriously, pedal-lock for now, save for comprehensive. S L E E P!
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 2:36am On Feb 08, 2018
I just hope I’m being paranoid. But the way Nigeria is nowadays, anything can happen. Fraud, Theft, and Evil is everywhere. Nobody can be trusted again. Gosh
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 3:01am On Feb 08, 2018
Something just came to my mind. What if I visit another programmer to scan, or check and tell me how many keys were programmed during the last programming.

Sirs, Costee, greenhulk, Oluwaseunla, GAZZUZZ. Is this not possible?
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by mayor2013: 4:12am On Feb 08, 2018
Alexkene:
Something just came to my mind. What if I visit another programmer to scan, or check and tell me how many keys were programmed during the last programming.

Very possible. Get a good scan tool go to actual values on the immobiliser control unit and see how many keys have been programmed to the antitheft system. Very very possible
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by jaychubi: 4:17am On Feb 08, 2018
lumzybo:
Buy a steering/pedal lock. Use it always. It Myt sound crude but it works.

IMO, I think you are just paranoid
#staywoke

Spot on dt was d only advice I have for op

Again they don't steal Honda like dt here bc it's hard to resale if na Corolla or Camry or Toyota product u shld be more worried

1 Like

Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by computerglobal(m): 5:57am On Feb 08, 2018
ipobarecriminals:
Dnt trust those fl@theads people, they are criminals..From ladipo to Alaba,oyingbo,Tin can,,dey are thieves.Abeg,carry ur moto go elsewhere. Let dem disable whatever. they installed. Change the key/system. U are good to go.

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by computerglobal(m): 6:13am On Feb 08, 2018
symbianDON:
op na wa to you o grin if you think they installed a tracker, you too go and install your own na! if they track you and thief your car, you too go track them collect am back! cunning man die cunning man bury am.

Lol
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 6:28am On Feb 08, 2018
Alexkene:

Lol. Sell the car and buy another one, this time don't give key to anyone to program. Since u are so paranoid that is the only time u will have rest of mind.
Re: I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. by Nobody: 7:22am On Feb 08, 2018
mayor2013:

Very possible. Get a good scan tool go to actual values on the immobiliser control unit and see how many keys have been programmed to the antitheft system. Very very possible
Thanks. You have been helpful.

Remember I said that the original key was lost in the Auction where the car was bought in USA and they programmed a metal chip key for the car, which then came with it to Nigeria.

So, I should be expecting to see two keys in the antitheft system. 1. The one that came with the car from the U.S and 2. the one that I recently programmed in Oyingbo.

Any other key in the antitheft means my assertions are right ??

Ps: the image below is the kind of key that came with the car from US.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Engine Rebuild / Awesome Transformation Pics Of A 2007 Toyota Camry / The 10 Best Cars That Offer A Manual Transmission - Strictly For Men Pls!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.