Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:52 AM

How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired (20802 Views)

How To Know When Car Tyres Need Replacing / How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired / See What A Melting Road Did To Car Tyres After An Heavy Rain & Sun In Australia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by autojosh: 8:55am On Feb 06, 2018
Expired tyres?

Yes. Indeed – car tyres do expire.

Tyres are made of rubber and rubber degrades with age and temperature whether used or not.

Apparently, only a handful of Nigerians were aware of the fact that vehicle tyres come with expiry dates.

And according to Federal Road Safety Corps [FRSC}, expired tyres account for a large number of road accidents nationwide.

So, how can one tell if one’s tyres have attained their expiry dates?

First, vehicle tyres have a 4-year validity period from their Date of Manufacture (DOM) (though some Safety groups in some countries recommends 6 years). However, considering our peculiar rough driving terrains, and our temperate climate, it makes a whole lot of sense to agree with the FRSC recommended 4 years.

After the period of validity, the tyres risk getting burst while in use, especially when running in hot weather.

So, to find out if your tyres are expired – first, look on the sidewall, or the surface of the tyre, you would find a stamp that looks thus: (*3006*).

There is an asterisk at the beginning and at the end of this number (although some tyres don’t have asterisks).

The last four numbers identify the date of manufacture of the tyre to the nearest week. That is, the first two digits represent the week of manufacture, while the last two digits represents the year of manufacture.

So, in this case (* 3006*), the tyre was manufactured on the 30th week in 2006.

Thus, the expiry date would be the 30th week of 2010 ( that is, 4 years from date of manufacture)

So with this knowledge, and for safety purpose, it is important for us to regularly check on our vehicle tyres.

Like the saying goes – its better safe than sorry.

https://autojosh.com/how-to-tell-if-your-car-tyres-has-expired/

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by nurey(m): 9:21am On Feb 06, 2018
Tyre expire haaa grin

Will you also say human beings too expire, engine oil too expire.

Tyre don't expire, they degrade, there is a difference between the 2.

11 Likes

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by Britishcoins(m): 11:33am On Feb 06, 2018
God please provide someone who will help me to raise capital to start anything doing, I am tired of been apprentice.
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by free2ryhme: 11:34am On Feb 06, 2018
autojosh:
Expired tyres?

Yes. Indeed – car tyres do expire.

Tyres are made of rubber and rubber degrades with age and temperature whether used or not.

Apparently, only a handful of Nigerians were aware of the fact that vehicle tyres come with expiry dates.

And according to Federal Road Safety Corps [FRSC}, expired tyres account for a large number of road accidents nationwide.

So, how can one tell if one’s tyres have attained their expiry dates?

First, vehicle tyres have a 4-year validity period from their Date of Manufacture (DOM) (though some Safety groups in some countries recommends 6 years). However, considering our peculiar rough driving terrains, and our temperate climate, it makes a whole lot of sense to agree with the FRSC recommended 4 years.

After the period of validity, the tyres risk getting burst while in use, especially when running in hot weather.

So, to find out if your tyres are expired – first, look on the sidewall, or the surface of the tyre, you would find a stamp that looks thus: (*3006*).

There is an asterisk at the beginning and at the end of this number (although some tyres don’t have asterisks).

The last four numbers identify the date of manufacture of the tyre to the nearest week. That is, the first two digits represent the week of manufacture, while the last two digits represents the year of manufacture.

So, in this case (* 3006*), the tyre was manufactured on the 30th week in 2006.

Thus, the expiry date would be the 30th week of 2010 ( that is, 4 years from date of manufacture)

So with this knowledge, and for safety purpose, it is important for us to regularly check on our vehicle tyres.

Like the saying goes – its better safe than sorry.

https://autojosh.com/how-to-tell-if-your-car-tyres-has-expired/

now that you have successfully re-educated us about tires expiration dates care to explain how the govt can assist Nigerians to procure brand new tires. Since they have successful made the economy nonviable for the production of tires and economic investment not favoring tire production as common electricity we have not yet successful made available for factories across the nation.

Also note that most factories generate their own electricity through IPP and very expensive this is responsible for the increased cost of production making some product( including brand new tires) beyond the reach of the common man.

Nigeria still import tires both brand new and fairly used and the common man can only buy what he/she can afford.

5 Likes

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by michoim(m): 11:35am On Feb 06, 2018
Good knowledge shared
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by khel(m): 11:35am On Feb 06, 2018
smiley
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by Nobody: 11:35am On Feb 06, 2018
so this thing happened to me on Saturday, I want u to share, I went to shoprite just close to my house to get my cream, on my way back,a thought told me to take byke but I actually opted to walking,walking down I saw a little boy,I could guess he was like 14 or more,he sat on the floor crying, I was touched and I walked to him and asked what happened, he said he hasn't eaten for days and his step mum threw him out cos he stole #100 to buy bread,I was angry and I took him to one eatery.

After eating he begged me to take him home and help beg his dad,I followed him and in my mind I planned to give the woman a piece of my mind and even reach out to all those human rights people to help the child,on getting there I couldn't explain what happened, I met a man there with a woman,do u know I didn't know what happened,I gave them a total of 250k from my two different accounts,I had 50k at home my friend gave plus my laptop, phone, shoes I gave them,I went to my neighbour and asked If she could borrow me money,it was that one that got surprised cos we were together before I went out and she was like y do I need money all of a sudden, I couldn't explain and she kept asking if I was OK,she said she felt something was off,that's how she called our other male neighbour who slapped me and it was like whatever left my eye,kinkky I wanted to die cos this money was for my rent and even my laptop and my phone, we went back and couldn't find anybody, we went to the police and those Ones were asking for fuel money and finally these people were no where to be found,please talk to your followers to be careful, Lagos is a crazy place,everyone is just mean and wicked and looking for who to exploit.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BezkNWXlsIw/?taken-by=break_or_makeup

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by ruggedmallaam(m): 11:35am On Feb 06, 2018
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by obafemee80(m): 11:35am On Feb 06, 2018
Nice tips

You: oga vulcanizer,please I need to check the expiry dates before paying for these used tyres...

Vulcanizer : oga na tyre I dey sell no be food na...

grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by Emmy3(m): 11:38am On Feb 06, 2018
j
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by ately1(m): 11:39am On Feb 06, 2018
BUYING FROM COTONOU GIVES YOU THE OPPORTUNITY OF SAVING UP TO 200K COMPARE TO BUYING FROM NIGERIA DEALERS.
WE CUT OFF DEALERS PROFIT FOR YOUR SAKE.YOU WILL BUY DIRECTLY FROM COTONOU PORT. AND WE WILL TAKE CARE OF ALL THE LOGISTICS
FOR THE CAR TO GET TO YOUR COMPOUND.
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by ken4jj(m): 11:40am On Feb 06, 2018
@OP,
Forget about that nonsense from FRSC. Tyre expiration is not done by date of manufacture and even the developed countries that manufactured it do not use date not to talk of Naija that did not manufacture pin.

If tyres expire, why didn't the manufacturers put the expiration date on it? Is it difficult to put? Tyres can stay up to 10 years depending on several factors and when it gets bad you will know and not by one stupid date.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by buchilino(m): 11:41am On Feb 06, 2018
nurey:
Tyre expire haaa grin
TOO MUCH ENGLISH
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by pointstores(m): 11:46am On Feb 06, 2018
nice one
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by Donkay82: 11:49am On Feb 06, 2018
nurey:
Tyre expire haaa grin

so what you are saying is thatca tyre that was made in 1960 but has not been used since then is still good for use in 2018 ? Am a novice here
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by Ishilove: 11:49am On Feb 06, 2018
Great stuff.
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by tete7000(m): 12:04pm On Feb 06, 2018
ken4jj:

@OP,
Forget about that nonsense from FRSC. Tyre expiration is not done by date of manufacture and even the developed countries that manufactured it do not use date not to talk of Naija that did not manufacture pin.

If tyres expire, why didn't the manufacturers put the expiration date on it? Is it difficult to put? Tyres can stay up to 10 years depending on several factors and when it gets bad you will know and not by one stupid date.

Don't mind frsc, they do all this to extort Nigerians. No tyre manufacturer has ever agreed their tyre expire. So many factors, like improper alignment, improper gauging, etc are responsible for tyre degradation.
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by Nobody: 12:06pm On Feb 06, 2018
Britishcoins:
God please provide someone who will help me to raise capital to start anything doing, I am tired of been apprentice.

Eeeyaaa try friends and family what is your apprenticeship in?
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by ollybosieb: 12:12pm On Feb 06, 2018
Tire expiration year is 6 to 10 years not 4 years.
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by Naijaphobia(m): 12:19pm On Feb 06, 2018
ken4jj:

@OP,

Naija FRSC go soon reset your thinking.... I guess you work around with a competent lawyer cos naija lawyers and enforcement agents are now connivers.
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by agistwityusuf(m): 12:23pm On Feb 06, 2018
Op, is the expiry date irrespective of the period of use ?
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by symbianDON(m): 12:52pm On Feb 06, 2018
tyre manufacturers aren't s.t.up.id....if they only state manufacturing dates and not expiry dates then they know exactly what they are doing! someone stated up there....and it's quite true....tyres don't expire! they simply degrade! besides, FRSC and the op should educate us on this....do cheap and substandard tyres brands like triangle, boto (made in china) also share the so-called 4 year expiration date with high quality tyre brands like Pirelli, Dunlop etc (European and American etc made)?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by Fidecoo(m): 1:15pm On Feb 06, 2018
nurey:
Tyre expire haaa grin

,honestly bro.I have witnessed a case of an expired tyre.although it happened with the tyre I was using as spare.Dec 2016 I changed my 4 tyres (new ones), and I assumed since the spare looked so sound and ok.no need to replace it.but to my greatest surprise,after few months I had a flat tire and when trying to change the spare,lo and behold "the spare tyre looks as if it was peirce with knife all around.I was shock. Wish I took photos of it.
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by nurey(m): 1:53pm On Feb 06, 2018
Donkay82:
so what you are saying is thatca tyre that was made in 1960 but has not been used since then is still good for use in 2018 ? Am a novice here

Tyre made in 1960 may not be used in 2018 because it has out lived its service year.

Tyre don't expire, but degrade due to use and environmental condition they were stored in.

Tyre can reach its service year in less than a year (Tyre fitted into race cars or Tyre used for drifting etc) while some Tyrese can last 20 years, bull dozer and heavy equipment Tyrese because they can be rethreaded.
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by spyroxy1(m): 2:29pm On Feb 06, 2018
Thanks for the information
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by Austin234(m): 2:44pm On Feb 06, 2018
Grow up pls
nurey:
Tyre expire haaa grin

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by AceVentura: 3:34pm On Feb 06, 2018
nurey:
Tyre expire haaa grin

Oversabi!!!

You've been informed already.
If you like, create your own theory.
All the best to you.
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by CaptainFM1: 3:36pm On Feb 06, 2018
nurey:
Tyre expire haaa grin

You are very wrong! Tires do expire. That post has just explained how to check the expiry date. I suggest you read it again and again...then go change those tires you recently bought that reads 2407, before you put peoples life in danger. (They may look new and well threaded, but trust me, they have expired).

Yes, tires do expire. I'm surprised you don't that!
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by Britishcoins(m): 3:40pm On Feb 06, 2018
nurshah:

Eeeyaaa try friends and family what is your apprenticeship in?

Electronic store
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Have Expired by CaptainFM1: 3:43pm On Feb 06, 2018
nurey:

Tyre made in 1960 may not be used in 2018 because it has out lived its service year.

Tyre don't expire, but degrade due to use and environmental condition they were stored in.

Tyre can reach its service year in less than a year (Tyre fitted into race cars or Tyre used for drifting etc) while some Tyrese can last 20 years, bull dozer and heavy equipment Tyrese because they can be rethreaded.

Do not misinform people.

1. Tyres do expire
2. You are not suppose to rethread a tyre. Instead tyre manufacturers melt old tires and remould a new one.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dozens Of BMWs Have Burst Into Flames Long After Owners Say They Turned Them Off / Picture Of An Okada With An Umbrella / The NPF Digitalized Central Motor Registry And Stolen Vehicles Reporting Portal.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.