Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,110 members, 7,807,351 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:35 PM

False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence (8734 Views)

Osun Gov Election: Oyetola Closes Defence At Tribunal / Nigerians React After CCT Clears Saraki Of False Asset Declaration Charges / Justice, Sylvester Ngwuta Arraigned For False Asset Declaration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by engineerboat(m): 2:58am On Feb 07, 2018
The Senate President, Bukola Saraki, has closed his defence after resuming for the continuation of his trial on false asset declaration on Tuesday.

Mr. Saraki returned to the tribunal on Tuesday to defend three of the 18-count charge of alleged false declaration of asset brought against him in 2015.

In December, he was ordered by the Appeal Court to return to the Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT, venue of the trial to defend the three charges.

At the continuation of the trial on Tuesday, Mr. Saraki’s lawyer, Paul Usoro, presented a single witness, who was a former commissioner of the Code of Conduct Bureau, Ademola Adegbo.

After introducing the witness, Mr. Usoro applied to admit Mr. Adegbo’s resume in court as evidence.

Mr. Edegbo was a commissioner and member of the board in 2015 when the case was first filed.

Reacting to the application for the submission of Mr. Adegbo’s resume, the prosecution counsel, Rotimi Jacobs, objected to the admissibility of the said document.

Mr. Jacobs said the resume intended to be admitted in evidence had no relationship with the three-count charge Mr. Saraki was asked to defend himself against.

In his response, however Mr. Usoro insisted that his client would like to tender the resume to demonstrate ”the degree of qualification obtained by the witness on the subject matter of the case.”

In a ruling, the tribunal chairman, Danladi Umar, admitted the document in evidence stressing that the resume ”would not constitute a problem for the prosecution.”

“Having listened to the submissions of counsel, I am of the opinion that the resume sought to be admitted is not an issue that should cause any contempt. I hereby admit that the resume is relevant and would not constitute any problem for the prosecution,” Mr. Umar said.

During the cross-examination of the defence witness, Mr. Jacobs asked a series of questions intended to show that the witness was ‘not constitutionally supposed to be occupying the office, as a CCB commissioner in 2015.”

According to Mr. Jacobs, Mr. Adegbo was legally supposed to have left office in 2015, having assumed the appointment as a commissioner of the bureau in 2010.

Reacting to a question put to him by Mr. Jacobs regarding the constitutionality of his stay in the office, Mr. Adegbo insisted that ”according to law, he was still a commissioner at the time.”

A drama ensued during the cross examination when a second member of the bench, Williams Atedze referred to Mr. Jacobs as; ‘You’.

Swiftly, Mr. Jacobs responded saying he was not a ‘you’ but that his name is ‘Rotimi Jacobs’.

Again, when Mr. Atedze attempted to address him during the heat of the questions and answers session, he (Atedze) asked Mr. Jacobs, ”to be careful.”

In a quick reaction, however the prosecution lawyer said: “I cannot be careful. I cannot be careful my lord! That shows that your lordship is intimidating me”.

Mr. Atedze then explained that the purpose of his warning was for the prosecution lawyer to avoid acting in a confrontational manner with the defence witness.

Subsequently, Mr. Jacobs agreed to be calm in his usage of language.

After a series of questions and answers, Mr. Usoro made two attempts to re-examine the witness on the things he said while responding to the questions asked by the prosecution counsel.

Both attempts were however objected to by Mr. Jacobs and the objections, upheld by the tribunal.

Subsequently, Mr. Saraki’s lead counsel approached the defendant for a short discussion.

When he returned to the bar, Mr. Kanu Agabi, a former Attorney General of the Federation told the court that his client (Saraki) does not intend to present any further witness. He therefore informed the court of their desire to close the defence.

The tribunal judge thus adjourned the matter till February 27 for adoption of addresses

Addressing journalists after the hearing, Mr. Usoro said the defence had intended presenting four witnesses, but decided to leave it at one, since they believed they would say what they had to say in their addresses.

“It is a matter of strategy. I think it is a dynamic strategy. You may decide in the cause of hearing your matter that you think you should change your strategy and simply close your case. Plenty of the things we want to ask the witness will come in the address,” said Mr. Usoro, a senior advocate of Nigeria.

In his opinion, however, Mr. Jacobs said the decision of the defence to close their case was at their discretion.

“It is at their discretion. The witness did not say anything about the charge. He did not contradict what we said. So I have nothing to bother myself about,” Mr. Jacobs said.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/257762-false-asset-charge-saraki-closes-defence.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by Nobody: 4:44am On Feb 07, 2018
Nigeria nigeria

1 Like

Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by olasaad(f): 4:55am On Feb 07, 2018
Blah! Blah! Blah! The CCB should just dismissed the case asap, after all the aim is not achieved so they should just free Saraki and stop wasting their time on this effortless case.

7 Likes

Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by sarrki(m): 5:13am On Feb 07, 2018
Engineerboat abi ship

Saraki is the cash cow now

Enjoy while it last

We will block it

2 Likes

Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by Firefire(m): 6:01am On Feb 07, 2018
Gbewiri!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by LORDOFAFONJAS: 6:15am On Feb 07, 2018
Firefire:
Gbewiri!
My brother, he has washed his robe clean and now dining with the saint .... Saraki is a living saint grin according to sarrki

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by Firefire(m): 6:19am On Feb 07, 2018
LORDOFAFONJAS:

My brother, he has washed his robe clean and now dining with the saint .... Saraki is a living saint grin according to sarrki

He was among the SAINTS celebrated by APC: IF any man (former PDP looters) be in APC he/she is a new creature old things, including all the stolen wealth are forgiven ...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by pointstores(m): 6:22am On Feb 07, 2018
nija and delay
Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by engineerboat(m): 7:39am On Feb 07, 2018
sarrki:
Engineerboat abi ship

Saraki is the cash cow now

Enjoy while it last

We will block it

Aja to ba fe sonu ko ni gbo fere ode.

Aja APC ti sonu nitori ko gbe fere ode.

Sarrki

Sarrki

Sarrki

E melo ni mo pe ho.

E ti po to, e lo po si wa

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by sarrki(m): 7:41am On Feb 07, 2018
engineerboat:

Aja to ba fe sonu ko ni gbo fere ode.

Aja APC ti sonu nitori ko gbe fere ode.

Sarrki

Sarrki

Sarrki

E melo ni mo pe ho.

E ti po to, e lo po si wa

Bro Mi

I am not APC man ooo

I only like few individuals in APC

Same way I do for pdp

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by engineerboat(m): 8:04am On Feb 07, 2018
sarrki:

Bro Mi

I am not APC man ooo

I only like few individuals in APC

Same way I do for pdp

O le ma je iwo loni sugbon lola nko

When a president does not deem it fit to visit those murdered in benue.

But find it convenient to console with Mayette Allah in Adamawa

And you keep shouting up and down supporting this.

Ina mbe lo ri orunle hooooo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by henrysam(m): 9:06am On Feb 07, 2018
This rigmarole is just to keep saraki in apc by all means.
Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by baralatie(m): 9:11am On Feb 07, 2018
booked
Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by sarrki(m): 9:39am On Feb 07, 2018
engineerboat:

O le ma je iwo loni sugbon lola nko

When a president does not deem it fit to visit those murdered in benue.

But find it convenient to console with Mayette Allah in Adamawa

And you keep shouting up and down supporting this.

Ina mbe lo ri orunle hooooo

Broda Mi fi yen le

1 Like 1 Share

Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by BruncleZuma: 9:58am On Feb 07, 2018
grin grin grin grin
Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by EnEnPeecee: 10:00am On Feb 07, 2018
I tot this case has closed

1 Like

Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by stephen109(m): 10:00am On Feb 07, 2018
make they free this man,he is not Nigeria problem ,our problem is BUHARI...

1 Like

Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by MuyiRano(m): 10:02am On Feb 07, 2018
I want to say a big thank you to those NLders that celebrated wt me yesterday. Thanks for the likes and mentions. God bless you abundantly.
Thanks
Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by centboy123456(m): 10:05am On Feb 07, 2018
abeg make dey go sit down no be today they one start again
Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by success1smyn(m): 10:06am On Feb 07, 2018
Following
Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by fasho01(m): 10:10am On Feb 07, 2018
This guy should be protected if there's strong evidence against him or set free is there is none.

Enough of this up and down in tribunal just to have him at the jugular to do their biddings
Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by ivands: 10:13am On Feb 07, 2018
pointstores:
nija and delay

Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by rxmusa(m): 10:17am On Feb 07, 2018
Nemesis shall soon catch up with Saraki

Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by pedel: 10:21am On Feb 07, 2018
Why can't you use your family lands and properties as a collateral for a Diamond Bank loan so that you can acquire wealth from all these sure winnings being advertised? This maybe how God want to bless your family and you are broadcasting it.
mattrudy11:

Tested and Trusted,no loosen call or whatsapp if interested.

1 Like

Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by debolayinka(m): 10:40am On Feb 07, 2018
You people should continue, you think you're fooling Nigerians? Court case that is just a drama of the script written by APC script-writers, and just like Nollywood we know the end already.

1 Like

Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by promiseulu(m): 10:42am On Feb 07, 2018
same pple shouting is a seletive fight are saying they should free him
Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by pentax(m): 10:45am On Feb 07, 2018
rxmusa:
Nemesis shall soon catch up with Saraki
Maina, Usman, Lawal, Magu, Buratai, IGP, Fulani herdsmen...

1 Like

Re: False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence by backspaced(f): 10:47am On Feb 07, 2018
Vacancy!Vacancy!!Vacancy!!!

Sales Executive – Corporate Gifting and Promotions

A well-established company, and a leader in their field, is looking for Sales Executives for their Gifting and Promotion Products. You would be responsible for lead generation and bringing in new customers.

Total experience of 8-10 years, with good market knowledge, preferably in promotions and gifting business. A person working in B2B sales or with a marketing agency, and good networking ability, would be ideal for this position.

Immediate hire, attractive package.

Send CV to recruiter@elevantix.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

Adamawa Supplementary Election Holds March 28 - INEC / “Jonathan Meets Umaru Musa Yar'adua”, Shocked Yar’adua Can’t Talk Or Move / Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.