Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:10 PM

A Word For Turai - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Word For Turai (856 Views)

As EFCC Goes After Daughter, Turai Yar’adua Runs To Obasanjo For Help / Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address / Show Some Compassion For Turai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Word For Turai by Nobody: 8:00pm On Apr 19, 2010
[b]Assalamu alaikum, Hajia, picking my pen to scribble this letter, I wasn't sure of whom to direct it to: you or the Yar'Adua family in general. In most families, the decisions I want to advise you to take are made by the family, but from what I have read in papers and heard from other sources, and very close to being true if not totally true, you are the one that takes all the decisions concerning your husband's health and other matters. Pardon me if that sounds disrespectful, especially as I'm only a mate to your daughter, Zainab, that is just what I heard, I may be wrong.

Hajia, despite my knack for contributing to every national issue in the past few years, I have remained silent on the issue of your husband's health purely because of emotions. In African tradition, you don't speak ill of the dead, but to me, you don't even speak ill of the one in trial. The only thing I have done was briefly carpeting those cartoonists that draw all sorts of grotesque caricatures of your husband and criticising the manner he was brought back to Nigeria. And this was just a matter by the way in one of my recent commentaries.

Ma, until I read the accounts of the pastors that saw your husband, I had thought all the talks about Alhaji's condition were exaggerated. This belief was basically premised on the hearing of his voice over BBC a couple of months ago. Motionless, vegetarian state, groaning, staring blank. These were the words contained in the accounts of the people that saw him, and they are no funny words. So strong that they made me break my silence on this issue after four months.

Mummy Zainab, what exactly is happening? What is in the presidency that, despite his critical condition, you still want Alhaji to continue ruling? Is it the power or the perks? By now I want to believe that the only reason why Alhaji has not resigned is because he is not capable of signing resignation letter, because I can't think of any other plausible reason why somebody in such condition will still want to hold on to power. It's just beyond my imagination.

Hajia, my simple advice to you is that you should please facilitate the resignation of Alhaji as president. I am saying this without any regard to the politics that will follow this action, because at this state, the last thing that comes to my mind is politics. How much more you, his better half. In my part of the country, there is saying that 'being without position is sometimes better than being with one'. I strongly believe in this.

Hajia, do not misconstrue my advising you to walk the path of resignation as expecting the worse to happen or Alhaji not being fit to rule again. It is my sincere prayers that Alhaji gets well, but doing that, he becomes Yar'adua family's private property again as against being accountable to all Nigerians as he is now. The implication of this is that you will have only his state of health to worry about, as against having to battle other politics that currently surround his state of health. It will no longer be compulsory for anybody to demand seeing him. Nobody dare ask you for report on his state of health. And the avalanche of attacks you receive on daily basis from different quarters is expected to subside.

Power is transient. No matter how long we cling to it, it will soon leave us. After all, before 2006, you never thought you were going to occupy the exalted office. Why then do we have to sacrifice more important things on the altar of power. I believe Alhaji's health should be more important than anything now. Or, ma, do you have anything to fear after leaving office?

My heart seriously goes out to Daddy Nafisat. He is surely a good man, and as far as I can see, he has good intentions for this country. But such good intentions, unfortunately, are being spoiled by the shoddy turn of things since he took ill. Resigning now may not be as honourable as if it had been done months earlier, but you will still curry some respect, as opposed to being disgraced out of office which may be inevitable if the situation continues.[/b]

http://thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=170883
Re: A Word For Turai by Seaen(m): 8:29pm On Apr 19, 2010
Hmm. A good man not a good leader.

A word is enough for the wise.
Re: A Word For Turai by Kobojunkie: 9:15pm On Apr 19, 2010
@Poster, have you considered what could follow if he were to resign?
Re: A Word For Turai by Nobody: 7:03am On Apr 20, 2010
Kobojunkie:

@Poster, have you considered what could follow if he were to resign?
At this point, what could follow should not matter to the family. We are talking about someone gravely ill here.
Re: A Word For Turai by Kobojunkie: 1:02pm On Apr 20, 2010
Jarus:

At this point, what could follow should not matter to the family. We are talking about someone gravely ill here.

But you are assuming the ONLY reason for his not resigning is his family. From all indications, it seems even the current government not not want him to do that. Are the Northern states going to allow a Southerner to continue as President during their own turn at the seat?
Re: A Word For Turai by desgiezd(m): 1:42pm On Apr 20, 2010
As things stand now, there is no sense whatsoever in keeping Yar Adua in Aso Rock and making him continue to cling to power. If it is Turai that has remained adamant, what is she getting now compared to what she was getting before. She is now far less influential and powerful especially since Jonathan took over and the cabal surrounding her scattered.

She should just take the man home now while they still have some modicum of dignity to cover their shame.
Re: A Word For Turai by Nobody: 1:45pm On Apr 20, 2010
Leave Turai to nurse her husband to health.

Yaradua is in no logical position to make decisions.

All those who think that it is a woman called Turai holding Nigeria hostage are outright deceived.

There are a few 'devils men' who are are gripping on to Yaradua as an only last hope to revive their goals and ambitions.
Re: A Word For Turai by desgiezd(m): 1:53pm On Apr 20, 2010
frosbel:

All those who think that it is a woman called Turai holding Nigeria hostage are outright deceived.

There are a few 'devils men' who are are gripping on to Yaradua as an only last hope to revive their goals and ambitions.

In other words, Yar Adua is now a pawn on a chess board? What a pity!
Re: A Word For Turai by Kobojunkie: 1:54pm On Apr 20, 2010
desgiezd:

As things stand now, there is no sense whatsoever in keeping Yar Adua in Aso Rock and making him continue to cling to power.

Is he clinging to power or Is that an assumption we are all too willing to accept as FACT on our end? For one, this man should have been impeached a long time ago. That is what the constitution says ought to have happened. Why have the people who are supposed to enforce these laws chosen not done that? Are you going to tell yourself that it is because this sick/comatose(possibly) man is stronger than the law?

desgiezd:

If it is Turai that has remained adamant, what is she getting now compared to what she was getting before. She is now far less influential and powerful especially since Jonathan took over and the cabal surrounding her scattered.

How do you know this for sure? Don’t you think it is utterly cowardly of you to continue to attack a man’s wife when all she is, is a civilian in all this; the constitution does not even recognize her existence in all this. So why are you so quick to blame her for it all?

desgiezd:

She should just take the man home now while they still have some modicun of dignity to cover their shame.
Um . . . She takes the man home and that solves it all for you? You do realize that legally, she does not have the power to remove the president from his position. I don’t know what country you live in but in most places, even if your parents write a letter to the company you work for, asking that you be let go, the company is free to decide if it will accept it or not. In this case, I do not believe she can do that because the constitution is clear on what must happen, in the case a president is incapacitated. Therefore, can we please stop acting like cowards, attacking a woman for wanting to protect her family and focus on figuring out why the laws are being ignored?

Consider what happens if Yar adua is removed. The north will possibly call for Jonathan to step down and an election to take place 3 months later. At this point, the acting president would likely not fight the move since he understands that any resistance could force some more legal push to declare all actions taken by him null and void, since his installment as Acting President was, and is unconstitutional. Are we ready for this?
Re: A Word For Turai by Nobody: 2:58pm On Apr 20, 2010
the pastors that saw your husband

hope this isnt the main grouse here.

I knew this sticky issue would pop up sooner or later.
Re: A Word For Turai by Ibime(m): 10:56pm On Apr 20, 2010
^^^Why are you so cynical?

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News - Lagos,abuja To Enjoy 16-24hrs Of Power Supply / Nigeria Oil Firm Insolvency Raises Corruption Questions / Policeman Impregnates Woman In Detention Cell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.