Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,902 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:40 AM

Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 (2984 Views)

Olu Of Warri Kicks Out Ayiri, Revalidates Iyatsere, 10 Other Itsekiri Chiefs / Itsekiri People (A Brief History) Part 3 / Itsekiri People (a Brief History) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 by onuwaje(m): 9:39am On Feb 07, 2018

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 by onuwaje(m): 9:41am On Feb 07, 2018
*THE PRE - IGÍNÚWÀ PERIOD IN ÌŞĘKÍRIÌLAND (ITSEKIRILAND)* : ```THE ORIGINS AND VALUES OF THE CORONATION RITUALS OF THE OLÚ OF WARRI AND THE ITSEKIRI PEOPLE``` .

*ORIGIN OF ÌŞĘKÍRIÌ (ITSEKIRI)*
The claim by _WILLIAM A. MOORE_, that according to tradition, a peculiar species of some immortalized beings known as ÙMÀLÈ that is, water beings or juju, were the Aborigines or Ancestors of ÌŞĘKÍRIÌ (ITSEKIRI), is fabulous and thus so rejected in this thesis.
It is dehumanizing, defamatory and derogatory. This is so because, from the process of information, and participation in some festivals and religious ceremonies, the origin of the ÌŞĘKÍRIÌ (ITSEKIRI) tend to draw all attention to YORÙBÁLAND.
_MOORE's_ claim lacks proper representation and interpretation. There is the indisputable fact that ÌŞĘKÍRIÌ (ITSEKIRI) is almost wholly a dialect of YORÙBÁ, with some BÌNÍ, derived from IGÍNÚWÀ's arrival, and names of imported goods derived from PORTUGUESE and SPANISH contact.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 by onuwaje(m): 9:42am On Feb 07, 2018
To impute that the ÌŞĘKÍRIÌ (ITSEKIRI) are descendants of ÙMÀLÈ, means that the YORÙBÁ are ÙMÀLÈ as well; since the major ÌŞĘKÍRIÌ (ITSEKIRI) Towns or Settlements claim origin from YORÙBÁLAND.
It is significant to reveal here, that it is a common expression among the ÌŞĘKÍRIÌ (ITSEKIRI) to call a non-indigene - a person or a community of other tribes they come in contact with, for the first time EGÚNGÚN or ÙMÀLÈ; that is, Fairies or Water beings.
When a person or community behaves in an unusual, uncivilized manner, they would remark, ÍGHÀÁN ÉÈ ŞE EGÚNGÚN? That is, are these not fairies?

For instance, _Moore_ asserts that, the first Whiteman, the PORTUGUESE, who came to ÌŞĘKÍRIÌLAND (ITSEKIRILAND) were called fairies (EGÚNGÚN), since the ÌŞĘKÍRIÌ (ITSEKIRI) have never set their eyes on any White Human Being before except Albinos.
However, it is believed that the ancient peoples are more spiritual than modern generations and were able to control the Elements - Air, Water, Earth and Fire - in their own environment to suit their own desire and purpose

2 Likes

Re: Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 by onuwaje(m): 9:43am On Feb 07, 2018
The occupation of ÌŞĘKÍRIÌLAND (ITSEKIRILAND) by YORÙBÁ emigrants and refugees probably took place from the early part of the thirteenth through fifteenth centuries, and also as a result of ISLAMIC and FULANI invasions through ÌLORIN as well as several inter-tribal and civil wars in YORÙBÁ-LAND.
For instance, the ÒWU devastating war was kindled by King ABÍÓDÚN Of ÒYÓ who ordered the OÒNI Of IFĘ, and OLÓWU Of ÒWU to stop the ÒYÓ being kidnapped and sold into slavery at APÒMÙ Market.
Eventually, IFĘ and ÌJÈBÚ, formed an alliance, and using ÒYÓ refugees besieged ÒWU. The outcome of these wars was destruction of lives and property, lamentation, widowhood and orphanhood, desertion of towns and villages; misery, abject poverty and refugees.
The impact of the wars was so great, since apart from being homeless and sorrowful, there was no chance to farm or trade. Thus, many died of famine, while others fled to the riverine area, or neighbouring towns. The ÒWU, after a long siege by IFĘ and ÌJÈBÚ, were subdued through the use of guns by the ÌJÈBÚ.

The arrival of Prince IGÍNÚWÀ from BENIN, about mid-fifteenth century to ÌŞĘKÍRIÌLAND (ITSEKIRILAND), marked the beginning of the Monarchy in IWĘRĘLAND (WARRILAND).
Even up to the third quarter of this century YORÙBÁ Traders were still pouring into ÌŞĘKÍRIÌLAND (ITSEKIRILAND). The ÌJÈBÚ from YORÙBÁLAND brought gàrí, which the ÌŞĘKÍRIÌ (ITSEKIRI) called gàrí-Ekó, that is, the gàrí from LAGOS, in large quantities for sale in the busy Ports of WARRI, SÁPÉLÉ, BÙRÙTÚ and FORCADOS

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 by Efewestern: 11:23am On Feb 07, 2018
I see you interchanging Itsekiri with Isekirii, I thought I read somewhere were some itsekiris where arguing that ÌŞĘKÍRIÌ is a Yoruba spelling for itsekiri and it is not accepted.

Don't get me wrong, am not trying to derail the thread, just want some clarification on this, also is omolubi same as omoluabi? cc: onuwaje

Lalasticlala
seun
mynd44

push to front page.

2 Likes

Re: Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 by Konquest: 12:22pm On Feb 07, 2018
onuwaje:
*THE PRE - IGÍNÚWÀ PERIOD IN ÌŞĘKÍRIÌLAND (ITSEKIRILAND)* : ```THE ORIGINS AND VALUES OF THE CORONATION RITUALS OF THE OLÚ OF WARRI AND THE ITSEKIRI PEOPLE``` .

*ORIGIN OF ÌŞĘKÍRIÌ (ITSEKIRI)*
The claim by _WILLIAM A. MOORE_, that according to tradition, a peculiar species of some immortalized beings known as ÙMÀLÈ that is, water beings or juju, were the Aborigines or Ancestors of ÌŞĘKÍRIÌ (ITSEKIRI), is fabulous and thus so rejected in this thesis.

It is dehumanizing, defamatory and derogatory. This is so because, from the process of information, and participation in some festivals and religious ceremonies, the origin of the ÌŞĘKÍRIÌ (ITSEKIRI) tend to draw all attention to YORÙBÁLAND.

_MOORE's_ claim lacks proper representation and interpretation. There is the indisputable fact that ÌŞĘKÍRIÌ (ITSEKIRI) is almost wholly a dialect of YORÙBÁ, with some BÌNÍ, derived from IGÍNÚWÀ's arrival, and names of imported goods derived from PORTUGUESE and SPANISH contact.
^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^
@Onuwaje

This is absolutely true [i.e., the Yoruba (Ijebu, Ife, Ilaje), and later
the Bini influences in Itsekiriland]... a very informative thread!

[Ugborodo (otherwise called Escravos) which is an oil and gas-rich community
was originally founded by Ilaje immigrants over 600 years ago]. I got to
know this from an indigene of Ugborodo almost 10 years ago, then I did
my research and found out he was saying the truth! They migrated from
Ugboland in present-day Ondo State and moved eastwards. They are
Itsekiris though with Ilaje ancestry.

Omadino in Itsekiriland was originally founded by Ijebu people.

The border areas of Ondo State like Owo, Ido-Ani, have mixed Yoruba
and Bini cultures as well. Ido-Ani was founded by Yoruba returnees from Bini
led by Ani who was related to Oranmiyan [the first Oba of Bini according to
the current Oba of Benin]. They followed Oranmiyan originally to Benin
and when he left to establish Oyo kingdom, they too left to establish
new communities or live in existing communities.

I'll read Part 1 later in the day...
Thanks for the post.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 by SicilianMafia: 12:05am On Feb 08, 2018
Konquest:

^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^
@Onuwaje

][the first Oba of Bini according to
the current Oba of Benin].] .

Since you wanto quote the Great Oba Of Benin, Don't fail to also mention when the current Oba said your so called oduduwa was a banished Edo Prince !!

So don't try to concoct any nonsense here!!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 by Konquest: 12:20pm On Feb 08, 2018
This my new post is in reply to the internet troll guy [who claims to be a "Sicilian"] who
was "rambling on" and "making insulting" comments to my post on this thread
INSTEAD of engaging in intelligent discussions in other to learn NEW KNOWLEDGE.
He doesn't sound like a BINI guy even though he claims to be one.

"The Excerpts of the Coronation Speech of Oba Ewuare II
the 40th Oba of Benin from the time of Oba Oranmiyan."

Why I’m 40th Oba of Benin – Ewuare II

Addressing the crowd, Oba Ewuare II, who urged the crowd to observe a minute’s silence in honour of his late parents, admitted that as heir apparent to the throne, he benefited immensely from his father’s wisdom. He also announced that his mother should henceforth be addressed as Queen Mother, for which he said a ceremony will be announced later.

“During my father’s reign, the palace was a home for all despite your religious or ethnic background, for all who needed guidance and assistance. Traditional rulers from far and near consulted him on several issues and he ensured that he advised them accordingly. He was a good father to all of us all. As the custodian of our culture and tradition, he was open to new ideas and respected new innovations,” he recalled.

Oba Ewuare II, who explained why he should be regarded as the 40th Oba of Benin contrary to the belief that he is the 39th Oba, said: “There may be some divergent views about the origin of some of our ancestors but there is unanimity in the shared heritage between the people of Benin and Ile-Ife in identifying Oduduwa as a forebear of kingship in parts of Africa and Nigeria of today. “Historians all agreed that Oduduwa sent his son Oranmiyan as requested by elders of Benin to return with them as ruler of their realm. Oranmiyan stayed in Benin, but his stay was short. But by the time he left he had a son known today as Eweka I. Oranmiyan’s time in Benin was however short-lived, he was an Oba. So he was the first Oba after the Ogiso dynasty, he established Obaship in Benin. Therefore the listing of past Obas should start from Oranmiyan. This actually made my late father the 39th Oba of Benin while I am the 40th Oba of Benin.”

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/pomp-pageantry-as-bini-kingdom-crowns-oba-ewuare-ii/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ANOTHER ACCOUNT OR PERSPECTIVE:

"THE NEW OBA EWUARE AND HIS ALLEGED CORONATION SPEECH"
written by Our Reporter October 23, 2016

"The Ogiamien Family Account of Benin History - Oba of Benin Has NO Connection With Ogiso":
By Dele Awogbeoba

Most Nigerians were either bemused or celebrated with the people of Benin on the coronation of their most recent Oba of Benin. Benin was one of Nigeria’s most iconic and prestigious empires especially from the 1400 AD. It is fitting that the new Oba chose Ewuare as his royal name as Ewuare the first was responsible for transforming Benin from a small village state to the massive empire it would be known for across much of West Africa and Europe...

For some reason, a change of the guard seems to have occurred over the last two years in the leadership of many hereditary dynasties in Nigeria. From Kano, Ife, Warri and now Benin, the cycle of life burns bright for the living to experience. Many traditional rulers from all parts of Nigeria congregated to witness the coronation of the new Oba. The Oba in his coronation speech was reported, by the Punch newspaper (in an article titled “Oba of Benin gets staff of office, unfolds development agenda”), to have stated:

“I therefore stand before you as the 40th Oba of Benin, a direct descendant of Oranmiyan, the son of Oduduwa, whom the Benin people of that era knew as Ekaladeran, their self-exiled prince who later became ruler in Ile-Ife. The Benin people recognise Oduduwa and his origin but it is not our place to force this recognition on others outside our boundaries.

“The history of the world is a shared one and there will certainly be unexpected connections in the future. This is, thus, a time for unity and not divisiveness, a time for mutual respect, recognising that our wholeness as people is so much more than the sum of our parts.”

Such a statement seems ill-advised and in extremely poor taste when viewed against the prism of the invitation to the Ooni of Ife and other Yoruba Kings and their presence at that event. I say it was ill-advised because his assertion is clearly at variance with the position of the Ooni of Ife on that matter. Secondly, it is extreme bad manners to invite a guest and then to call into question his ancestry to his very face when it would be impolite for the guest to dispute and correct such an erroneous statement at that occasion.

One also needs to make clear a number of factors here. Both highly controversial accounts (the Bini and Yoruba accounts that is) come from word of mouth accounts handed down from generation to generation. Apart from the fact that Oba Ewuare’s account is disputed within Benin by the Ogiemien family (who point to the Ekiokpagha Treaty that requires every new aspiring Oba of Benin to pay a once in a life time rent to the Ogiamien (as the true aboriginal monarch) before being able to ascend to the throne of Benin), one doubts that the Oba of Benin is in a better position than his cousins in the South West to give an account of the ancestry of their common ancestor. I say this for the following reason. Eweka the 1st had minimal contact with (a) Oduduwa (b) Oduduwa’s son Akanbi and (c) Oduduwa’s grandson (and Eweka’s father) Oranmiyan.

By Benin’s own account, Oranmiyan spent less than a year as Oba in Benin and had a child with a Bini native and mother of Eweka I. Eweka’s mother was not the wife of Oranmiyan nor was she a long time concubine of Oranmiyan. Their time together was less than a year.

Oranmiyan left her in Benin and she raised the young minor and new King Eweka I in Ile Ibinu (now called Benin) after Oranmiyan’s departure to his newly founded Oyo Kingdom. Thereafter, Eweka had minimal contact with Oranmiyan or his paternal line. As his view of his origin emanates from his Bini mother (who in turn had very limited knowledge of Oranmiyan or his ancestry), the history as espoused by the current Oba of Benin (the descendent of Eweka I) can be nothing other than one premised on lack of knowledge.

The Oba’s of the South West have no such impediments. Oduduwa was king In Ife and his descendents in the South West grew up with him, his children and grandchildren. They had the benefit of direct communication and constant interaction with the Oduduwa side of the family (a luxury Eweka I never had).

"Additionally, the Ogiamien family averred that the new narrative espoused by the Oba of Benin was a story that only started to rear its head in the 1970’s and has described it as false. The Ogiamien family has stated that the Oba of Benin has no connection whatsoever with the Ogiso family line."[i][/i]

Read more at: http://pointblanknews.com/pbn/articles-opinions/new-oba-ewuare-alleged-coronation-speech/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 by onuwaje(m): 2:12pm On Feb 08, 2018
I was banned trying to post the concluding part.. will try to bycott the spambot
Re: Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 by onuwaje(m): 2:16pm On Feb 08, 2018
Watch put for part 3

2 Likes

Re: Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 by SicilianMafia: 12:09am On Feb 09, 2018
[s]
onuwaje:
I was banned trying to post the concluding part.. will try to bycott the spambot
[/s]

You are posting nonsense and trash that's why you got banned!!..... This thread is officially dustbin material , its clear for everyone to see!!

Let me give you a clear warning STAY OFF EDO MATTER S YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT !!..... STICK TO THE ONE PAGE HISTORY OF WHEREVER YOU ARE ALLEGEDLY FROM!
Re: Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 by Nobody: 1:11am On Feb 09, 2018
Only the ennemies of the Edo give any credence to that ogiamen mad house. The ennemies of the Edo think they can use mad men as fifth columnists.
Re: Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 by SicilianMafia: 1:15am On Feb 09, 2018
historyworld031:
Only the ennemies of the Edo give any credence to that ogiamen mad house. The ennemies of the Edo think they can use mad men as fifth columnists.

Dnt mind that clown who say he is an itsekiri ..... Posting nonsense all about ...... I would chill and hear from sensible itsekeri on this forum b4 taking that clown serious CU's I consider itsekiri children of Edo , not this Yoruba impostor posting nonsense
Re: Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 by Nobody: 1:38am On Feb 09, 2018
Yes, even a little look at his name tells everything, he is trying to conquer with lies.
He is just spreading propaganda. Many yoruba have problems understanding where they came from.
They don't have any knowledge of their culture or history.
They steal culture wherever they find it. That is how they stole the title "Oba" from The Oba. The one and only Oba: Omo n'Oba n'Edo.
Their ooni, was just an elected and powerless chief of a small state before colonisation. Then the british empowered the ooni of ife in order to use him as a british puppet. It even went as far as the ooni of ife becoming prime minister of the western region.
But you see the yoruba can't look at what they were before colonisation. That is why a guy in egbaland would consider the ooni of ife his superior (eventhough there is no connection whatsoever between ife and egba land).
Now they are calling ijebu yoruba while the latter had a king who threatened in 1892 to whipe out the yoruba.
The yoruba are a mere myth, they are a lie.

SicilianMafia:

Dnt mind that clown who say he is an itsekiri ..... Posting nonsense all about ...... I would chill and hear from sensible itsekeri on this forum b4 taking that clown serious CU's I consider itsekiri children of Edo , not this Yoruba impostor posting nonsense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 by isalegan2: 2:51am On Feb 09, 2018
historyworld031:
Yes, even a little look at his name tells everything, he is trying to conquer with lies.
He is just spreading propaganda. Many yoruba have problems understanding where they came from.
They don't have any knowledge of their culture or history.
They steal culture wherever they find it. That is how they stole the title "Oba" from The Oba. The one and only Oba: Omo n'Oba n'Edo.
Their ooni, was just an elected and powerless chief of a small state before colonisation. Then the british empowered the ooni of ife in order to use him as a british puppet. It even went as far as the ooni of ife becoming prime minister of the western region.
But you see the yoruba can't look at what they were before colonisation. That is why a guy in egbaland would consider the ooni of ife his superior (evethough there is no connection whatsoever between ife and egba land).
Now they are calling ijebu yoruba while the latter had a king who threatened in 1892 to whipe out the yoruba.
The yoruba are a mere myth, they are a lie.

undecided

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeYsTmIzjkw

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 by Olu317(m): 6:13am On Feb 09, 2018
onuwaje:
Watch put for part 3
My eyes are absolutely waiting to view the next part . Don't be distracted in any way by psychopathic liars.

Cheers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 by Efewestern: 10:59am On Feb 09, 2018
some comments here thou, Lol.. grin..

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 by onuwaje(m): 3:25pm On Feb 09, 2018
Efewestern:
I see you interchanging Itsekiri with Isekirii, I thought I read somewhere were some itsekiris where arguing that ÌŞĘKÍRIÌ is a Yoruba spelling for itsekiri and it is not accepted.

Don't get me wrong, am not trying to derail the thread, just want some clarification on this, also is omolubi same as omoluabi? cc: onuwaje

Lalasticlala
seun
mynd44

push to front page.

The first generation of Itsekiri lexicon/alphabet were influenced by Itsekiri who more or less copied the Yoruba Alpha Numerical system

But both are d same just that ṣe and Ts are d same (one is Yoruba d oda Itsekiri)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 by onuwaje(m): 3:27pm On Feb 09, 2018
SicilianMafia:
[s][/s]

You are posting nonsense and trash that's why you got banned!!..... This thread is officially dustbin material , its clear for everyone to see!!

Let me give you a clear warning STAY OFF EDO MATTER S YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT !!..... STICK TO THE ONE PAGE HISTORY OF WHEREVER YOU ARE ALLEGEDLY FROM!
I am not in anyway trying to start an e-war.
U cannot tell Itsekiri history without Benin. I am not interested i. Your battle of supremacy with the Yoruba nation about who evolved from who
Don't get me wrong sir
Re: Itsekiri People (A Brief History) PART 2 by Nobody: 3:42pm On Feb 09, 2018
There is no battle of supremacy.
We are just not going to let yoruba people rewrite our history.
I salute the Itsikeri, whom I know to be one of the ethnic groups of the Benin Kingdom.

Some ancient maps of Benin Kingdom:

This one dates to around 1699:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595525w/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

An other map of Benin made in the 17th century once again:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b530530714.r=Benin?rk=214593;2

An other map of Benin from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=193134;0

This one date to the 19th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8469390z/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

An other map from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595527q/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

onuwaje:

I am not in anyway trying to start an e-war.
U cannot tell Itsekiri history without Benin. I am not interested i. Your battle of supremacy with the Yoruba nation about who evolved from who
Don't get me wrong sir

(1) (Reply)

NKAN-JU-NKAN-LO (alternative Means Of Resolving Issues) / Please It Is Nana Of Itshekiri Not Olu Of Warri.This Fraud Should Stop / OGUN Asiri Bibo Todaju

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.