Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,240 members, 7,807,810 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:39 PM

My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel (18705 Views)

My Corolla 2005 Is Consuming Fuel / Do This When Your Car Is Consuming Fuel / These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 3:31pm On Feb 07, 2018
D rate at which my car consume fuel is alarming...I noticed d check engine light is on. Just last week I bough a 34litres fuel for 5k and I reset d odometer trip A to zero...as of dis moni av just drove about 110k and d fuel guage is around quarter tank..
Worried,I complained to my mechanic,took me to a guy Dat diagnoze d car and he asked d mechanic to clean d spark plug,which he did and d CEL disappeared only to show up 3days after....
I returned back to d mechanic village and complained ,d mechanic serviced d injectors,washed d fuel pump casings still nothing...den later he checked d silencer and told me d catalyst have been removed....I seriously need professional advice cos d cost of fueling dis car is affecting me greatly....pls help a brother
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by jarkbauer: 4:17pm On Feb 07, 2018
What year is your corolla
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by mayor2013: 6:50pm On Feb 07, 2018
What was the result of the scan to start with
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 9:33am On Feb 08, 2018
jarkbauer:
What year is your corolla

2006. Corolla CE
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 9:33am On Feb 08, 2018
mayor2013:
What was the result of the scan to start with

It only detected spark plug
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Deprofessional(m): 9:44am On Feb 08, 2018
The info you gave is not enough to determine whether your car is consuming excess fuel.

Tell us what quantity of fuel did you car expend to reach 110km.

3 Likes

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by autologic: 10:00am On Feb 08, 2018
Justbright:

16 Likes

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by jarkbauer: 10:12am On Feb 08, 2018
Cc oga gazzuzz
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by mayor2013: 11:09am On Feb 08, 2018
Justbright:

Wrong. A scan result should be

E.g P0****

1 Like

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 11:11am On Feb 08, 2018
Deprofessional:
The info you gave is not enough to determine whether your car is consuming excess fuel.

Tell us what quantity of fuel did you car expend to reach 110km.

As at dis morning,d fuel gauge light has come up and d total kilometer is about 135km with 34.5litres of fuel worth 5000naira
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by mayor2013: 11:29am On Feb 08, 2018
Justbright:

As at dis morning,d fuel gauge light has come up and d total kilometer is about 135km with 34.5litres of fuel worth 5000naira

Go back to your mecho and ask for scam result
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by mayor2013: 11:30am On Feb 08, 2018
Justbright:

Go back to your mecho and ask for scan result
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by emy77: 9:35pm On Feb 08, 2018
Is your speedometer calibrated in km or miles?

This is important because 1 mile = 1.6km. So if it's 135miles, that would translate to about 216km. Please check your odometer very well
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 11:14pm On Feb 08, 2018
emy77:
Is your speedometer calibrated in km or miles?

This is important because 1 mile = 1.6km. So if it's 135miles, that would translate to about 216km. Please check your odometer very well

U are right..exactly my thought BT d bold(outer calibration )is MPH while d inner one is KMH...
BT am sure mine is in km cos there is an nnpc signpost opposite my office indicating nnpc station is 1km ahead,wen I drive by and watch my odometer ,my trip A reads exactly 1km,av confirmed Dat many times
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by emy77: 8:43am On Feb 09, 2018
If the outer bolder calibration is in mph, then yr odometer is in miles, not km. You cannot calculate using the signpost because 1 mile and 1km are close just a factor of 1.6 between them, except your instrument cluster has been changed.

Not that I believe 135miles is good enough for 35litres of petrol in city driving. I do more than 150miles on same 35litres on a 2001 Honda Accord v6, city driving, with AC

1 Like

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Olesekeniwoye(m): 9:17am On Feb 09, 2018
Justbright:

Is your odometer in KM or MILES
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Olesekeniwoye(m): 9:19am On Feb 09, 2018
Justbright:

U are right..exactly my thought BT d bold(outer calibration )is MPH while d inner one is KMH...
BT am sure mine is in km cos there is an nnpc signpost opposite my office indicating nnpc station is 1km ahead,wen I drive by and watch my odometer ,my trip A reads exactly 1km,av confirmed Dat many times

If the outer one is MPH, then your odometer is in MILES.

1 Like

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by SpaceAngel: 10:17am On Feb 09, 2018
I guess he is complaining about consumption because he has a reference. He knows what it used to be before and the current rate. He is not happy with the current rate of consumption.
Cross examining him on the distance calibration will not solve his issue.

He should scan and get result so that he can be helped.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 12:14pm On Feb 09, 2018
SpaceAngel:
I guess he is complaining about consumption because he has a reference. He knows what it used to be before and the current rate. He is not happy with the current rate of consumption.
Cross examining him on the distance calibration will not solve his issue.

He should scan and get result so that he can be helped.

I just scan d car now..d error code is P0128...saying something about thermostat power train stuff
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by pannyman(m): 12:32pm On Feb 09, 2018
Your car's mileage is very poor indeed for a Corolla. Try and fix it as soon as possible. The cost of repair will definitely be offset by what you will save by burning less fuel. I drive a 2007 4-cylinder Camry and 35 litres takes me close to 190 miles, all within the city and with AC.

Just get it scanned and what ever needs to be replaced should be brand new and genuine. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by ruke84(m): 12:33pm On Feb 09, 2018
Has your thermostat been removed? Also did you connect your fan directly so it runs as soon as your engine comes on.
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 10:07pm On Feb 09, 2018
4 post=64917496]Has your thermostat been removed? Also did you connect your fan directly so it runs as soon as your engine comes on.
[/quote]

Yes...removed by previous owner
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by scarplanet(m): 4:16am On Feb 10, 2018
And my Honda runs 144 miles with 2500 naira worth of fuel and I still dey complain
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 8:30am On Feb 10, 2018
scarplanet:
And my Honda runs 144 miles with 2500 naira worth of fuel and I still dey complain

Nothing frustrate me like a fuel consuming car
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 8:16pm On Feb 10, 2018
This is d scan result of d car...d mechanic said I will have to replace d catalyst and d thermostat....can anyone explain dis pls

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by aieromon(m): 9:26pm On Feb 10, 2018
Justbright:
This is d scan result of d car...d mechanic said I will have to replace d catalyst and d thermostat....can anyone explain dis pls

My brother,what you posted is not a scan result.

5 Likes

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 9:58pm On Feb 10, 2018
aieromon post=y 64 pl9 56906:

My brother,what you posted is not a scan result

Wen d guy ran d scan dis what showed on his system...am aware its meant to come up with a code..BT dis what displayed on his system

What doI do pls...am really frustrated right now
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by timifakay(m): 12:18am On Feb 11, 2018
Justbright:

Wen d guy ran d scan dis what showed on his system...am aware its meant to come up with a code..BT dis what displayed on his system

Patronize someone who knows what he's doing and will give you scan result and not these scam results they keep giving you.

7 Likes

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 12:22am On Feb 11, 2018
timifakay:

Patronize someone who knows what he's doing and will give you scan result and not these scam results they keep giving you.

OK....thanks
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by hayjayman(m): 8:29am On Feb 11, 2018
Justbright:

He doesn't know what he is doing... He's probably hiding the trouble codes from you,...change hin
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 2:54pm On Feb 11, 2018
hayjayman:

He doesn't know what he is doing... He's probably hiding the trouble codes from yo u,...change hin

OK sir.....i will go and look for another place..d problem is I couldn't find any diagnostic center here in abeokuta....In case anyone knows any in my location pls help wt d adress
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 4:23pm On Feb 12, 2018
I went to run anoda diagnosis at auto medics centre in Abeokuta...I was given error code P0128.
D guy said I need to buy another thermostat......
Also he said though d machine did not indicate presence or missing catalyst,he said afta physical examination of my car,Dat my catalysts are missing Dat I need to buy dem.....

He gave d cost of new thermostat to be 15k ,and said he will get d price of d catalyst..he said it can't be less Dat 100k....
Pls gurus in d house what do u think.....can thermostat be d reason for high urge of my car for fuel?...thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Toyota To Unveil The New RAV4 At The New York Auto Show / Electric Cars Outsold Petrol/diesel Fuel Cars In Oil-producing Norway / Car Freaks – Which Car Will You Give Your All For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.