Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,711 members, 7,805,928 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:34 AM

The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D (14944 Views)

Woman Who Got Pregnant While On Birth Control Gives Birth To Baby Holding IUD / Is Birth Control Pills Only Restricted For Married Women / Man Ends Marriage After Knowing His Wife User Birth Control Pills. See Why (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by Donald3d(m): 5:09am On Feb 08, 2018
While contraceptives available today certainly have limitations, there are far more options available to women than there are to men. Now, a possible solution to this shortage of male birth control options has emerged from a rather unexpected source: a heart-stopping poison daubed on arrows as far back as the 3rd century BC by hunters and warriors in Eastern Africa.

Let that sink in a minute while we take a tour of what’s currently on the market.

Birth control methods can be separated into two broad categories: hormonal and non-hormonal. Methods like the pill tinker with hormones to prevent pregnancy. While these methods usually work pretty well, they can cause a host of side effects: everything from weight gain to an increased risk of developing blood clots. Yes, your birth control can kill you.

On the other hand, non-hormonal options, such as condoms or the diaphragm, don’t come with those scary side effects. They are, however, not always convenient, or available, and how well they work largely depends on whether or not they’re being used consistently — and correctly.

The options for women may not be overwhelmingly great, but they have more of them. There are currently just two contraceptive options for men: condoms or a vasectomy. That could be soon to change, though, because there are a few hormonal options in development — one of which has reached clinical trials.

It’s not the one with the poison arrows, however.

That potential option is the brainchild of a team of researchers at the University of Minnesota. The team has been researching a non-hormonal alternative that would work by making it more difficult for sperm to move or swim. After all, sperm can’t fertilize an egg unless they can get to it.

How are they obstructing the sperm’s mission, you ask? A toxic substance found in African plants known as ouabain. Believe it or not, many mammals actually produce the substance naturally (albeit in very low qualities) and scientists think it plays a role in regulating blood pressure. In fact, doctors sometimes give the substance in very small doses to patients who have heart arrhythmias.

Ouabain works well as a poison because it interferes with protein subunits in the heart that transport ions. Your heart beats because of electrical impulses — and if you recall your high school chemistry class, it’s those electrically-charged ions that tell your heart when to contract. Messing with those ions, then, is a cardiac disaster in the making.

What does this heart-stopping poison have to do with sperm, then? The researchers also found that ouabain can interrupt the work of another subunit — transporter subunit α4 — which is only found in one place: mature sperm cells.

The challenge for the team over the last ten years of their research was to find a way to use a derivative of ouabain that would only hone in on those sperm cells, sparing the heart in the process. The other consideration was permanency: what the team figured out was that since ouabain only effects mature sperm cells when its used to inhibit their movement, the effect shouldn’t last forever. In fact, it should be completely reversible because any new sperm cells that are produced once treatment has been stopped should develop normally.

So far, they’ve tested their idea in the lab using rats and found that the derivative they created did make it harder for sperm to move and didn’t have a toxic effect on the heart. The hope now is that this research will lay the necessary groundwork for developing the ouabain derivative into a safe and effective form of male birth control. And, since it doesn’t affect hormones, it may be an option free from the unpleasant side effects often experienced with many current options.

The team will now be moving into the next phase of research: proving that using a 2,000-year-old poison to make it harder for sperm to swim upstream is actually effective at preventing pregnancy. While using an ancient poison to slow-mo the little swimmers is cool, if it turns out they can still lumber their way to an egg and fertilize it, then touting it as a birth control method might be a tad premature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6x2KVNuJkc

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by finnestdope(m): 5:18am On Feb 08, 2018
Heya ooo.

Everyday new wahala sad

So I was even the FTC and I didn't know.

Pls uncle lalasticlala and mynd44 wia is my gift?
Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by Mynd44: 6:20am On Feb 08, 2018
Cool.

More opportunities not to have children you can't raise. Just pop em pills and go about your Yoruba demon life.

Imagine someone like me that wants just two kids. I will be the one on pills before someone visits a new mother or watches a documentary on TV, her ovaries start jumping and she forgets that she hasn't taken her pills in weeks

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by emmyw(m): 6:21am On Feb 08, 2018
ok

2 Likes

Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by wokemzine: 6:22am On Feb 08, 2018
But men scarce na.

Or am not understanding something
Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by Shol3(f): 6:23am On Feb 08, 2018
Sounds nice
Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by lawsbanks: 6:24am On Feb 08, 2018
What happens to hiv angry

2 Likes

Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by Nobody: 6:25am On Feb 08, 2018
It Wouldnt Prevent HIV And Other Stds From Being Contacted Tho! #UseACondom
Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by gideon1971(m): 6:25am On Feb 08, 2018
The best birth control for both male and female, including STD and otheR ting that goes
skrrrrra Pa pa ka ka ka Ski bi ki pa pa And the put put purrrru boom! Skeeeyah Do do ku ku pun pum Pum Pum In case you don't know ( witchcraft and the likes)

Like if u agree my opinion is the best, share if you disagree with me

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by timwudz(m): 6:26am On Feb 08, 2018
weird..

ok
Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by Okewa(m): 6:26am On Feb 08, 2018
Don't even understand wat they are talking abt...(

2 Likes

Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by Nobody: 6:27am On Feb 08, 2018
All these things that are against God wish. Smh..undecided
Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by k4kings(m): 6:27am On Feb 08, 2018
Make we no go take the one way go stop the sperm from swimming permanently ooooo... I rest my case

4 Likes

Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by Humblebloke(m): 6:27am On Feb 08, 2018
undecided

Still experimenting....will gladly put it to test when they are done with the hypothesis

Good development tho
Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by 7footre(m): 6:27am On Feb 08, 2018
Man is performing miracles on a daily
Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by Dottore: 6:28am On Feb 08, 2018
Ok
Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by Nobody: 6:29am On Feb 08, 2018
Issoryt.

I sure won't be among the early testers.
The heart? shocked shocked shocked
Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by Flexherbal(m): 6:29am On Feb 08, 2018
Men in this part of the world hardly agree to any form of birth control for men.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by Raizo007: 6:29am On Feb 08, 2018
Really hope there's no hidden side effect to this.
Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by akeentech(m): 6:32am On Feb 08, 2018
7footre:
Man is performing miracles on a daily
Abi
Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by Nobody: 6:34am On Feb 08, 2018
So, no more I missed my period abi? Those words can scare Naija men eeh. grin
Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by sirusX(m): 6:37am On Feb 08, 2018
Rat and humans no be the same oooh shocked

The first person they would test should better have children before that and write his will....just in case sha grin

But seriously....seems they’re trying to encourage more people to run nekede during bedmatics....Issa sti/std affair

After all, someone said condom are for weak men who can’t finish b4 hiv notices cheesy
Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by BenzEne1(m): 6:38am On Feb 08, 2018
Chrysaetos:
All these things that are against God wish. Smh..undecided

I guess you are coming from the angle of premarital sex that is on the rise because of these contraceptives.

But I don't think God would wish for us not to protect ourselves even in sin. I mean the trouble from pregnancy before marriage and all these diseases people carry about is actually scary.

And again they do help a lot in family planning. This should be encouraged mostly in the north. Were a man who can't feed himself properly decides to marry four wives and then has so much children that they fall into begging on the streets to keep half a daily bread.

God wouldn't mind contraceptives when they are used in the right way.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by jashar(f): 6:38am On Feb 08, 2018
grin
Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by pennywys(m): 6:39am On Feb 08, 2018
Nothing is sweeter like the raw taste of it

But never agree to an idea of using chemical
Or root toxins for nacking cos it may kill your sperm cells permanently

As for me, I'm still using my DVD
Or I play it with an empty cassette

No time to miss the fun
Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by revolt(m): 6:40am On Feb 08, 2018
So finally an end to babymamas trying to entrap men with kids. 2018 is a really nice year. First the dolls and now this.........woww

1 Like

Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by juwoonn(m): 6:41am On Feb 08, 2018
it's good
Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by driand(m): 6:43am On Feb 08, 2018
shocked
Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by kalufelix(m): 6:50am On Feb 08, 2018
I No Need Am...Thank You
Re: The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D by Nobody: 6:52am On Feb 08, 2018
BenzEne1:

I guess you are coming from the angle of premarital sex that is on the rise because of these contraceptives.

But I don't think God would wish for us not to protect ourselves even in sin. I mean the trouble from pregnancy before marriage and all these diseases people carry about is actually scary.

And again they do help a lot in family planning. This should be encouraged mostly in the north. Were a man who can't feed himself properly decides to marry four wives and then has so much children that they fall into begging on the streets to keep half a daily bread.

God wouldn't mind contraceptives when they are used in the right way.

Nothing to do with premarital sex, but your mind cannot comprehend what I would have said to this post based on what I saw God said himself.

Certain things apply to some people, not to those who belong to God.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

At What Age Should I Open Bank Account For My Child? / How To Bond With Your New Born / Christmas Recharge Card Give Away

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.