Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,376 members, 7,808,319 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:16 AM

Is Bible True Word Of God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Bible True Word Of God? (1471 Views)

Is Bible The Word Of God? The Bible And Paedophilia. / Killing Children Is Bible Miracle! / Is Bible The Word of God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Bible True Word Of God? by chakula: 9:04am On Apr 20, 2010
why these verses contradict each other?
1 chronicles 21
and SATAN stoodup against israel and provoked David to number israel.

2 SAMUEL 24
and the anger of the LORD was kindled against israel and HE moved David against them to say go number israel and judah.

john -18 9

that the saying might be fulfulled which he spoke of those whom yuo gave me I have lost but NONE.

john 17 12

while i was with them in the world i kept them in your name. Those yuo gave me i have kept and none of them is lost except the SON of perdition.

2 chronicles 9 25
And solomon had four thousand stalls for horsesand chariots and twelve thosand horsemen, whom bestowed in the chariot cities ,and with the king at jerussalem.

1 king 4 26
And solomon had fourty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by chakula: 1:26pm On Apr 20, 2010
Xtians,

i need explanation please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:35pm On Apr 20, 2010
chakula:

Xtians,

Jamiru, your 101 contradictions in the Bible has been cleared up already in the link below.

http://debate.org.uk/topics/apolog/contrads.htm
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by chakula: 3:07pm On Apr 20, 2010
Thank you for providing the link for me, but please can you make it in a few lines for my better understanding please?
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by karo93: 6:08pm On Apr 20, 2010
NO!!

but it depends on what you call the word of God.
is it the word of God because God revealed every word of it?then no!but if you mean word of God because it talked about God and his style then yes!

but literally the bible is not the word of God but is a compilation of history,opinions of it's authors and a few predictions which have to have been from God.
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by Zodiac61(m): 6:16pm On Apr 20, 2010
karo93:

NO!!

but it depends on what you call the word of God.
is it the word of God because God revealed every word of it?then no!but if you mean word of God because it talked about God and his style then yes!

but literally the bible is not the word of God but is a compilation of history,opinions of it's authors and a few predictions which have to have been from God.
You had better hope that the fundies are not following this thread.
To them the bible is the inerrant word of god.
In fact, to me, it is not even inspired by god.
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:27am On Apr 21, 2010
chakula:

Thank you for providing the link for me, but please can you make it in a few lines for my better understanding please?

In what language do you want it for better understanding, Hausa, Yoruba or in Arabic? .
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by chakula: 12:41pm On Apr 21, 2010
In what language do you want it for better understanding, Hausa, Yoruba or in Arabic? .
[quote][/quote]

Any language that give you a chance
to post easily.
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:52pm On Apr 21, 2010
chakula:

Any language that give you a chance
to post easily.

OLAADEGBU:

Jamiru, your 101 contradictions in the Bible has been cleared up already in the link below.

If any language then read it in the link above, it seems to be clear enough.
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by e36991: 1:11pm On Apr 21, 2010
chakula:

Xtians,

OLAADEGBU:

Chakula:

@chakula

Chakula haba!

Grown man like you expecting to be spoon fed

Abeggy, c'mon dig into it and start slurping it up yourself . . .
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by karo93: 2:07pm On Apr 21, 2010
since chakula is too shy to ask let me help him out-
he wants a one on one debate in which you drop your points and he attacks them one by one.

do you oblige to this OLAADEGBU?
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:34pm On Apr 21, 2010
karo93:

since chakula is too shy to ask let me help him out-
he wants a one on one debate in which you drop your points and he attacks them one by one.

do you oblige to this OLAADEGBU?

Since you show so much interest and already acting as his advocate why don't you take up that challenge? And make sure that you transcribe it in braille language for better understanding. shocked
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by karo93: 2:53pm On Apr 21, 2010
i will pass your offer OLAADEGBU!

i have said all i need to say on the thread.

let me add that the bible was written by men and all the ideas passed through the human brain before reaching paper so forget about the errors.the errors come from the inefficiency in any(or both) part(s) of the chain
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 2:56pm On Apr 21, 2010
[size=13pt]The bible is not a true word of God. . . .but , false words of men to mislead the world .[/size]
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by chakula: 3:08pm On Apr 21, 2010
@olaadegbu,

make it in a few lines for my better understanding ,please that's what i demand from you the article provided from the link is too much for me to read please.
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by chakula: 3:22pm On Apr 21, 2010
i will pass your offer OLAADEGBU!

i have said all i need to say on the thread.

let me add that the bible was written by men and all the ideas passed through the human brain before reaching paper so forget about the errors.the errors come from the inefficiency in any part of the chain

[quote][/quote]

@karo93
how are you.
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by karo93: 3:25pm On Apr 21, 2010
^^^^
i'm all good and i know you are too!
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by chakula: 5:14pm On Apr 21, 2010
@Ogaga4Luv
The bible is not a true word of God. . . .but , false words of men to mislead the world
[quote][/quote]

are you sure ?
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by babs787(m): 6:19pm On Apr 21, 2010
@Olaadegbu

I would be looking forward to reading the well outlined response from you. I hope it would not be the same as the one Babyosis brought in which I provided rebuttal in one of the threads to the alleged '101 response'
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by DAVE5(m): 9:07am On Apr 22, 2010
I am a christian and would admit that there are contradictions in the bible but then i will like to point out as ya all know that the Holy Bible was not originally written in english which make it subject to mis-translation due to man's endeavour to make available to all so as to aid spreading the good news.
eg 'isi azu' in igbo which means head of fish if translated word 4 word would mean 'head fish' which would not pass the message clearly so also the bible which was translated by different scholars who might hav translated the text from the original bible language to 40 while another author trans his as 4.Remember the bible was authored and translated by several people which subjects it to personal judgement
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by Duroe: 10:50am On Apr 23, 2010
@Ogaga, Chaluka.
You have to answer this question: Have you got any other book that could claim the title 'the word of God'?
Which of the books on the earth is so divinely inspired as revealed in accurately fulfilled prophesies and detailed analysis of the program of the creator of heaven and earth regarding all creations?
As per the issue of whether the Bible is the word of God or not considering the so called erros, you have to consider the following;
1. The bible consist of 66 canonical books written by about 40 different authors over 2000years span in two main languages -Aramaic and greek.
2. There had been several attempt to destroy the bible by various 'anti-God' forces, yet the bible still remain with us till today
3. The original 'scrolls' have been translated several times and some of the English versions we now have are 'translations of translations'
4. The bible consist of historical events (recorded so that we in our age could understand the conditions of people living at the time when God made the revelations to men through His holy prophets)
5. The bible also contain visions God gave the prophets recorded in the prophets own language
6. The Bible contain some words or statements directly spoken by God and recorded verbatim by the writers
7. The Bible contain some other word written by God's/divine finger himself e.g the 10 commandments, the writing on the wall in Daniel - yet still subject to translations by humans.
The historical events were recorded by the writers in their own understandings and from what they witnessed and could remember in the events e.g Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
Yet all these men wrote not with the mind of making money (unlike several authors today) or to make names for themselves but as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
The inspiritaion of the scriptures has NO ERROR at all.
Whatever 'error' you are seen is either typographical or evolution of languages and translations- all of which were not directly supervised by God and so were subject to men's inperfection.
If anyone wants to cite any error to invalidate the Holy Bible as the word of God, then you need to mention errors in the inspirations and not historical figures or numbers or in nouns, pronouns , verbs as many have been pointing to. Read the prophets and tell us where there is inconsistencies about what they all said about what God showed them.
The Koran was received by one man (Mohammed) and by the word that have been given to Moses before Mohammed the record of one person is not dependable.
As there is no other book known in human history up till date, the only book that could assume the title of 'the written word of God' is the Holy Bible.

1 Like

Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by Zodiac61(m): 11:37am On Apr 23, 2010
@Duroe,
Nice try, but your answers do not answer the ultimate question - Is the bible the true word of god? the number of canonical books does not make it the true word of god.
Christians are fond of talking about "accurately fulfilled prophesies." Please, show me one so-called prophesy that does not involve twisting logic and apparently reading between the lines.
Historical event  grin grin grin grin grin Believe that and you will believe anything - sorry, I forget, you already believe the impossible.
Explain what you mean by several attempts to destroy the bible.
People today claim to hear the voice of god, mostly we call them mad. The claims of people who say they have spoken to god is no proof of truth.
If the bible is the true word of god, there will be no imperfections whatsoever, no matter what language it is written in. Surely, as the divine author  of the book, god would have inspired his ghost-writers and their translators not to make any errors.
The gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are not eyewitness accounts of what happened. They were not, contrary to what you may have been taught, written by any of the apostles, and the first one, Mark, is now believed to have been written about 30 to 35 years after the death of Jesus. Matthew and Luke had Mark as their primary source. John was written much later.
Finally, whether the book is revealed to 40 people or 1 person does not make either of them true. An untruth believed by 100,000 people is still an untruth. A truth believed by 1 person only is still a truth.
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:59am On Apr 23, 2010
Inerrancy According to Christ

"For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." (Matthew 5:18)

Here is the commentary of the Lord Jesus on the doctrine of plenary verbal inspiration. Not only were the words of the Bible divinely inspired, but even the very letters! The "jot" was the smallest letter of the Hebrew alphabet (yod, the tenth letter). The[i] "tittle"[/i] was a small horn-like appendage which transformed one Hebrew letter into another. Thus, a stronger statement of absolute verbal inspiration than this could hardly be imagined.

Further, the phrase "in no wise" is actually a double negative in Greek. In New Testament Greek it was used for strong emphasis. According to none other than the Lord Jesus Christ Himself, every word--even every letter--of the "law" must be fulfilled. This certainly includes the books of the Pentateuch--including even the often-maligned and distorted opening chapters of Genesis!

He applied the same principle to other parts of Scripture as well. "The scripture cannot be broken," He said (John 10:35) in the course of an exposition of Psalm 82:6, based on one single word used in the verse, supporting the vital doctrine of His own deity.

It is clear that Christ taught the doctrine of full, verbal inspiration of the Holy Scriptures.  It is sad and inexcusable that so many today who call themselves Christians repudiate this vital teaching of the Lord Jesus by rejecting, diluting, or "interpreting" the plain statements of the Word of God.  And, lest anyone equivocate by suggesting that, since the original writings have all been lost, we no longer can know what the divinely given words may have been, we should remember Christ's promise: "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away" (Matthew 24:35).  HMM.
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by Duroe: 2:53pm On Apr 25, 2010
@Zodiac. It is not my responsibility to prove if the Bible is the word of God (not god). The bible is not the word of god but the word of the Self existent, and the creator of heaven and earth- the Almighty God. God does not intend to also prove it to you that the bible is His word- in fact He owe you no explanation as per whatever He has said, written or done.
You are a mere mortal and you do not even have the knowlegde to prove or otherwise of what the word of God is.
My write up is just to contribute to those still very young in their Christisn faith from being confused by people like you.
Certainly you will remember all these when you cross over to the other side if by any means you harden ur heart against God.
If you are a sincere seeker of God, then He will guide you to the truth. Afterall Noah, Enoch, Abraham etc did not have any bible, yet their faith in God is still a challenge to many generations. The issue is SIN and its consequences.
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by mendax: 3:47pm On Apr 25, 2010
@duroe,

Duroe:

@Ogaga, Chaluka.
You have to answer this question: Have you got any other book that could claim the title 'the word of God'?
Which of the books on the earth is so divinely inspired as revealed in accurately fulfilled prophesies and detailed analysis of the program of the creator of heaven and earth regarding all creations?

i personally believe that the Qur'an is the word of God and you cannot pick out a historical inaccuracy or an unfulfilled prophecy. As for the program of the creator for his creations, his purpose is clear in the Qur'an, no ambiguities. Thank you
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by jesus3: 4:15pm On Apr 25, 2010
Those who deny the validity of the bible dont understand that it contains no contradictions.
B.I.B.L.E= Basic Information Before Leaving Earth.
The bible is a booklet of life that shows people how to live their lives from inception to termination. Practical references are Samuel,David,Moses,Jeremiah,Jesus etc whose lives was guided in accordance to the precepts of God
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by vescucci(m): 5:04pm On Apr 25, 2010
The bible contains honest errors, human errors, a lot of doctoring (omissions, additions, twisting etc), a lot of well meant lies, or white lies if you like, plenty speculations and fantasy. It also contains literal things which some people prefer to treat as allegorical and vice versa. But after all these, it contains plenty unarguable truths but whether they are divine truths are a different matter. My major problem with the book is being able to tell which is which. I know many intelligent Christians who think they are liberated by believing that the book as a whole is not from God but they're just as guilty cuz they don't question the parts that suit their point of view. Truth is not good news or bad news. It is simply truth. Falsehood is the same way.
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by Koko99: 5:16pm On Apr 25, 2010
The Bible is and remain the WORD of GOD. Religion is a thing of FAITH and not of proof. Faith is only alive with hope. Live by hope and your questions will be answered in due course.
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by Zodiac61(m): 9:17pm On Apr 25, 2010
Duroe:

@Zodiac. It is not my responsibility to prove if the Bible is the word of God (not god). The bible is not the word of god but the word of the Self existent, and the creator of heaven and earth- the Almighty God. God does not intend to also prove it to you that the bible is His word- in fact He owe you no explanation as per whatever He has said, written or done.
You are a mere mortal and you do not even have the knowlegde to prove or otherwise of what the word of God is.
My write up is just to contribute to those still very young in their Christisn faith from being confused by people like you.
Certainly you will remember all these when you cross over to the other side if by any means you harden your heart against God.
If you are a sincere seeker of God, then He will guide you to the truth. Afterall Noah, Enoch, Abraham etc did not have any bible, yet their faith in God is still a challenge to many generations. The issue is SIN and its consequences.
You get me wrong - I am not seeking to confuse anyone. What you and other persons choose to believe is a matter for you, nothing to do with me. However, if you make a claim, it behoves you to justify that claim. You now say that it is not your responsibility to prove that the bible is the word of god. Is that not what you were trying  to do in the post I responded to? Make up your mind.
What do you know about Noah, Enoch and Abraham save what you have read in the bible. How do you know that the accounts in the bible are accurate? do you honestly believe that god destroyed the whole earth in a flood saving only Noah and his family and two pairs of each living creature (or is two pairs of each unclean creature and seven pairs of the others)?
As to the christian god being the true god, remember this, the only people who believe that are committed christians. Muslims, Buddhists and believers in others gods claim that their god is the true god as well, and no doubt will claim that their books are inerrant. The arrogance of the believer means that other possibilities are ignored.
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by Mudley313: 10:30pm On Apr 25, 2010
Those who deny the validity of the bible dont understand that it contains no contradictions.
B.I.B.L.E= Basic Information Before Leaving Earth.
The bible is a booklet of life that shows people how to live their lives from inception to termination. Practical references are Samuel,David,Moses,Jeremiah,Jesus etc whose lives was guided in accordance to the precepts of God&the bible

mr. jesus. i'm happy u're finally here to speak 4 your self (*sarcasm*)

so. . . while u were here on earth. . .

1. why did u not ever mention about "the bible"?

2. why did u not ever mention about christians n the religion "christianity"?

3. u are suppose to be god as well. why did u not write down "your word" while u were here in human form? or are u an illiterate god?

4. while u were here on earth u were a practicing jew. why are your followers following sumthin different?
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by chakula: 12:49pm On Apr 26, 2010
@jesus,
please, respond for the exceeded questions.
Re: Is Bible True Word Of God? by Duroe: 1:08pm On Apr 26, 2010
@Mendax.
If I must tell you the Koran is not a word of God. It is the word from the god of Mohammed. Why did the god in Koran asked his believers to kill the Jews and Christians? Why did ISlamic clerics asked Salma Rushdie to be killed for writing the Satanic verses?
Is there anywhere in the world where true Islam (koranic Islam) have been able to exist with others in peace? I do not want to go into many other things.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is There Disunity Among Christians? / Christian Store Owner Commands Armed Robber To Leave In The Name Of Jesus / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.