Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,907 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:59 AM

Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It (6040 Views)

An Incidence Of Dubious Fortune Telling We Should Flee From / Can One Be A Muslim And Still Engage In Fortune Telling Or Witchcraft? / Scientists Who Converted To Islam And Their Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by Rashduct4luv(m): 11:31am On Feb 08, 2018
Question:

Seven years ago I went to a fortuneteller then to a soothsayer; at that time I was suffering from waswaas (evil whispers).
I knew that going to fortunetellers and soothsayers was shirk, but I did not know what shirk meant, or that it put one beyond the pale of Islam. All these years later I have repented to Allaah from all sins. I started to read books of Tawheed so as to correct my ‘aqeedah, and I found out that I had fallen into major shirk. Can I repent? Should I repeat the shahaadah?.

Published Date: 2005-01-02

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

We praise Allaah for having guided you to repent, and we ask Him to bless you with steadfastness in adhering to the truth.

Secondly:

The ahaadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) clearly state that it is forbidden to go to soothsayers and fortunetellers. See question no. 8291.

But not everyone who goes to a fortuneteller or a soothsayer is a mushrik in the sense of major shirk that puts one beyond the pale of Islam. Rather going to a fortuneteller or soothsayer falls into different categories. It may be major shirk, or it may be a sin, or it may be permissible.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

Those who go to fortunetellers fall into three categories:

1 – The one who goes to a fortuneteller and asks him things without believing in what he says. This is haraam, and the punishment of the one who does that is that his prayers are not accepted for forty days, as it is narrated in Saheeh Muslim (2230), that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever goes to a fortuneteller and asks him about something, his prayer will not be accepted for forty days.”

2 – When a person goes to a fortuneteller and asks him about something and believes what he says. This is disbelief in Allaah (kufr), because he is believing the fortuneteller’s claim to have knowledge of the unseen, and believing a human’s being claim to have knowledge of the unseen constitutes disbelief in the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: None in the heavens and the earth knows the Ghayb (Unseen) except Allaah”

[al-Naml 27:65].

Hence it says in the saheeh hadeeth: “Whoever goes to a fortuneteller and believes what he says has disbelieved in that which was revealed to Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).”

3 – When he goes to a fortuneteller and asks him questions so that he can explain to the people what he is really doing, which is deceiving people and leading them astray. There is nothing wrong with this. The evidence for that is the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) went to Ibn Sayyaad. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) though of something to himself. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) asked him what he was thinking of and he said, “Al-dukh” meaning al-dukhaan (smoke). End quote.

Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Rasaa’il al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 2/184

Based on this, whoever goes to a fortuneteller or soothsayer and believes what he says and believes that he has knowledge of the unseen has committed major kufr which puts him beyond the pale of Islam. But if he does not believe what he says then he has not committed kufr.

Whatever the case, the door of repentance is open, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah will accept the repentance of His slave so long as the death rattle has not reached his throat.” (3537)

i.e., so long as the soul has not reached the throat. Every sin from which a man repents, Allaah will accept his repentance. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: O ‘Ibaadi (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allaah, verily, Allaah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Zumar 39:53]

Whatever sin a person falls into, if he repents from it, his repentance will be accepted – even shirk.

See question no. 9393.

The basic principle is that the kaafir – and also the apostate from Islam – is required to utter the Shahaadatayn in order to enter Islam. If your going to the fortuneteller falls under the third category mentioned above, then you must utter the Shahaadatayn. As you have repented and started to live aright, you must have repeated the Shahaadatayn many times, so now you do not have to do anything. But you must resolve never to go back to such things again.

And strive to acquire knowledge so that you may worship Allaah with understanding.

We ask Allaah to help you to do that which He loves and is pleased with.

https://islamqa.info/en/32863

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by BigBrother9ja: 9:49am On Feb 09, 2018
Many alfas still do it.

70% of Nigerian Muslims girls believe in the idea to consult one alfa to check if they're compatible with their partner before marriage.

This is none Islamic.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by BigBrother9ja: 9:53am On Feb 09, 2018
Asowari:
4 ur information am not a Muslims and I don't belive Allah is d one and only true God, wat kind of fuckery is this now, will I have to swear before I comment on any islam topic.
You're on your fuckìng own
You're a hypocrite.
Now that you have taken the "oath", you have become a Muslim whether you like it or not and you must practice Islam otherwise.... tongue

And if you don't like this Idea on Muslim topics, swerve or goan create your own forum tongue

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by seunak2016: 9:54am On Feb 09, 2018
hmm
Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by Nobody: 9:56am On Feb 09, 2018
BigBrother9ja:

You're a hypocrite.
Now that you have taken the "oath", you have become a Muslim whether you like it or not and you must practice Islam otherwise.... tongue

And if you don't like this Idea on Muslim topics, swerve or goan create your own forum tongue
grin

3 Likes

Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by pooozeee(m): 9:59am On Feb 09, 2018
so how do we repent ? Is it just by saying astagafurulah ?

2 Likes

Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by Rashduct4luv(m): 9:59am On Feb 09, 2018
BigBrother9ja:
Many alfas still do it.

70% Nigerian Muslims girls believe in the idea to consult one alfa to check if they're compatible with their partner before marriage.

This is none Islamic.
Though i don't know if your statistics is correct but i know a lot of parents still erroneously do it. This is none Islamic.
And this your moniker too promotes immorality!
Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by BabyApple(m): 10:02am On Feb 09, 2018
Lahila ilalah Muhammad rosululah

1 Like

Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by Rashduct4luv(m): 10:03am On Feb 09, 2018
pooozeee:
so how do we repent ? Is it just by saying astagafurulah ?
If your going to the fortuneteller falls under the third category mentioned above, then you must utter the Shahaadatayn. As you have repented and started to live aright, you must have repeated the Shahaadatayn many times, so now you do not have to do anything. But you must resolve never to go back to such things again.
Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by BigBrother9ja: 10:03am On Feb 09, 2018
Rashduct4luv:

Though i don't know if your statistics is correct but i know a lot of parents still erroneously do it. This is none Islamic.
And this your moniker too promotes immorality!
You see your life?
Wetin consign you and the moniker?

Some of you are just unnecessary too sensitive.

A lot of people calls me big brother in Nigeria so, I'M BIGBROTHER9JA undecided

3 Likes

Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by Nobody: 10:04am On Feb 09, 2018
BigBrother9ja:

You're a hypocrite.

I will surely create my own forum seun is not being fair at all

1 Like

Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by pooozeee(m): 10:05am On Feb 09, 2018
many Alfa knows this but yet they still do it
May Allah forgive me of all the sin I might have committed from this act

5 Likes

Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by BigBrother9ja: 10:05am On Feb 09, 2018
Asowari:
I will surely create my own forum seun is not being fair at all
So what are you waiting for

3 Likes

Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by Nobody: 10:07am On Feb 09, 2018
BigBrother9ja:

So what are you waiting for
am waiting 4 BigBrother9ja to end tongue

2 Likes

Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by Nobody: 10:07am On Feb 09, 2018
Asowari:
4 ur information am not a Muslims and I don't belive Allah is d one and only true God, wat kind of fuckery is this now, will I have to swear before I comment on any islam topic.

gringringringringringringringringringrin I don laugh tire for here

2 Likes

Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by Rashduct4luv(m): 10:08am On Feb 09, 2018
BigBrother9ja:

You see your life?
Wetin consign you and the moniker?

Some of you are just unnecessary too sensitive.

A lot of people calls me big brother in Nigeria so, I'M BIGBROTHER9JA undecided

Sorry but truth be told. The Prophet salallahu alayhi wasalam advised us to choose good names. It is makrooh to use names that have bad or distasteful meanings, or which sound odd, which would cause others to mock a person or would cause him embarrassment, in addition to being contrary to the guidance of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), who taught us to choose good names.
I think i have passed the message.

1 Like

Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by Nobody: 10:09am On Feb 09, 2018
neoapocalypse:

gringringringringringringringringringrin I don laugh tire for here
the thing is annoying

1 Like

Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by Rashduct4luv(m): 10:09am On Feb 09, 2018
pooozeee:
many Alfa knows this but yet they still do it
May Allah forgive me of all the sin I might have committed from this act
Aamin

1 Like

Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by BigBrother9ja: 10:11am On Feb 09, 2018
Rashduct4luv:

Sorry but truth be told. The Prophet salallahu alayhi wasalam advised us to choose good names. It is makrooh to use names that have bad or distasteful meanings, or which sound odd, which would cause others to mock a person or would cause him embarrassment, in addition to being contrary to the guidance of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), who taught us to choose good names.
I think i have passed the message.
No!
You've not passed any messages. You're just being irrational and judgemental.
How is big brother a bad name to bear?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by Nobody: 10:12am On Feb 09, 2018
Asowari:
the thing is annoying

cheesygringringringrin I've always said it , that clause should be removed on Muslim threads

1 Like

Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by Nobody: 10:14am On Feb 09, 2018
neoapocalypse:

cheesygringringringrin I've always said it , that clause should be removed on Muslim threads
it should because I don't see such stuff in Christians threads

1 Like

Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by Nobody: 12:04pm On Feb 09, 2018
This act is soo common and synonymous to some tribes /cultures in fact some will tell you the man is naturally gifted it isn't fortunately telling. May Allah forgive us and guide us into the straight path

1 Like

Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by Rashduct4luv(m): 2:29pm On Feb 09, 2018
nurshah:
This act is soo common and synonymous to some tribes /cultures in fact some will tell you the man is naturally gifted it isn't fortunately telling. May Allah forgive us and guide us into the straight path
Aamin
Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by Topkush: 3:53pm On Feb 09, 2018
BigBrother9ja:

No!
You've not passed any messages. You're just being irrational and judgemental.
How is big brother a bad name to bear?

IMO
we all know what bigbrother9ja stands for, we know the Fawahish going on in there,
so i think the brother has a point.

1 Like

Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by NOETHNICITY(m): 9:06pm On Feb 09, 2018
Asowari:
Yea, cos of folks like u, with a compulsive urge to derail threads, the oath is necessary.
Re: Fortune Telling In Islam And How To Repent From It by Nobody: 9:22pm On Feb 09, 2018
NOETHNICITY:
Yea, cos of folks like u, with a compulsive urge to derail threads, the oath is necessary.
lol

(1) (Reply)

Freemason / Q&A: The Minimum For Praying Qiyaamul Layl (night Prayer) / 2 Signs To Be Careful Of When It Comes To Our Iman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.