Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,214 members, 7,780,401 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:38 PM

Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News (4926 Views)

Ibori Not Released From Prison – Oghara Clan Sec-General / Biafratimes:the Truth Behind The Killing Of Oghara Vigilante Chairman . / James Ibori's 55th Birthday To Be Celebrated At Oghara, In Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Hardtalk: 7:51pm On Apr 20, 2010
That is the latest. The security personnel and EFCC that went to arrest Ibori met a brick wall, as the militants chased them out, and even beat some of them. This happened this morning/afternoon, just as the Inspector General of Police ordered the withdrawal of Police men guarding him. Even the Benin Warri Express road was blocked as a result.
That is the latest.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Hardtalk: 7:56pm On Apr 20, 2010
I wonder why the initial post was removed. There is no security issue attached to it. It will be in all the newspapers tommorow. You should be happy that you have the info first. Nairaland, please watch it.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Oboma1(m): 8:03pm On Apr 20, 2010
Just like what I earlier read here, if you pursue someone and you cannot catch him, let him be. The man is JAMES BOND!.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Oboma1(m): 8:06pm On Apr 20, 2010
Hardtalk:

I wonder why the initial post was removed. There is no security issue attached to it. It will be in all the newspapers tommorow. You should be happy that you have the info first. Nairaland, please watch it.

Nairaland, why did you have to do that? I am in Ibadan right now and a friend of mine called me to inform me of the latest info. It is everywhere!.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Enjoyment1(f): 8:09pm On Apr 20, 2010
@ Poster, you should have titled it, "Militants saved Ibori from Arrest". Now is the rat race time. Lets see who will win!.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by snowdrops(m): 8:30pm On Apr 20, 2010
So is Ibori now a charles taylor? Head of a paramilitary gang? If so thats a treasonable. That man is evil anyway, and i wont be surprised if that were the case.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Sunofgod(m): 9:18pm On Apr 20, 2010
Re-inforcements will be called for,

I'm sure everybody is re-grouping.

Where are those brutal soldiers when you need them?
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Hardtalk: 10:28pm On Apr 20, 2010
Sun of god:

Re-inforcements will be called for,

I'm sure everybody is re-grouping.

Where are those brutal soldiers when you need them?

My Guy, heavy Soldiers will not resolve what happened today. Those boys were ready to die. You need to see their numbers, and how ready they were. Even SSS and all their latest weapons could not break their ranks.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Otobroto(f): 1:39pm On Apr 21, 2010
Rightnow, Ibori is out of town and IG cannot produce him, so what next?. Drama and more drama!.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by delegiwa(m): 4:28pm On Apr 21, 2010
Let him run and hide all he can but I can assure him and his boys that he will face the law of the land VERY SOON. The next will be Odili and OUK.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by chidichris(m): 4:33pm On Apr 21, 2010
if ibori fails for these fools, i will know he is a fool.
darieye of platue state dealt with the nonsense efcc guys and orji uzor kalu made them suffer in aba so if ibori is strong, he shld emulate these strong guys and deal routlessly with the so-called efcc.
how come ribadu judged all men and ran away from judgement? why is nigeria inviting the same man who refused to face the law? where are they not forgiving ibori as they did to ribadu?
if i am ibori, i will use bombs and if possible, weapons of mass destruction.
this nigeria don reach tlo destroy.
the so-called millitants must resist these federal criminals and make a claim on a posssible independence of the niger delta.
what type of a country is this?
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by snowdrops(m): 10:53am On Apr 22, 2010
chidichris:

darieye of platue state dealt with the nonsense efcc guys and orji uzor kalu made them suffer in aba so if ibori is strong, he shld emulate these strong guys and deal routlessly with the so-called efcc.
how come ribadu judged all men and ran away from judgement? why is nigeria inviting the same man who refused to face the law? where are they not forgiving ibori as they did to ribadu?

the so-called millitants must resist these federal criminals and make a claim on a posssible independence of the niger delta.
I can see you are still recovering from brain surgery.
Na you and only you the bomb go kill be that.
Nonsense.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by odogwux(m): 2:58pm On Apr 22, 2010
Ibori is a common criminal to say the least. Its a shame that he's been able to wield enough charisma and of course $$$$$$$ to create his own private army of ''thugs'' masquerading as militants. Lets see if the government is sincere about using its armed personnel to do enforce the law instead of harassing its critics
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Nobody: 5:30pm On Apr 22, 2010
chidichris:

This shows hw shallow ur brain is!!!! U retarded slowpoke.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by selingel: 6:41pm On Apr 22, 2010
nikkykay:

This shows hw shallow your brain is!!!! U retarded slowpoke.

It has not gotten to this point of calling people names, he is just trying to express his opinion. Lets say it without any fear of favour. Mr. Jonathan has failed!!!. He has failed in the area of allowing OBJ to use him. If Jonathan then becomes the full president, then we shall return the to the era of using government agencies, to hunt fellow political opponents. I did love Jonathan more than Yar'adua, but the events of Ibori's chase has killed that passion for him. Let him chase all corrupt leaders, both past and current. Having to say all that rubbish, about getting Ibori dead or alive, makes one now thing that there is another interior motive. Mr. President, is a fool, to allow himself to be used against Ibori. Fight corruption, on the grounds of corruption and nothing more, and you will get absolute people's support.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by snowdrops(m): 7:13pm On Apr 22, 2010
nikkykay:

This shows hw shallow your brain is!!!! U retarded slowpoke.
No need to be personal
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by goldenterp(f): 7:44pm On Apr 22, 2010
selingel:

It has not gotten to this point of calling people names, he is just trying to express his opinion. Lets say it without any fear of favour. Mr. Jonathan has failed!!!. He has failed in the area of allowing OBJ to use him. If Jonathan then becomes the full president, then we shall return the to the era of using government agencies, to hunt fellow political opponents. I did love Jonathan more than Yar'adua, but the events of Ibori's chase has killed that passion for him. Let him chase all corrupt leaders, both past and current. Having to say all that rubbish, about getting Ibori dead or alive, makes one now thing that there is another interior motive. Mr. President, is a fool, to allow himself to be used against Ibori. Fight corruption, on the grounds of corruption and nothing more, and you will get absolute people's support.

It is what it is. Jonathan is being used by Obasanjo more than any other group in the PDP can boast of. I wonder why people are getting excited about handing over power BACK to ex-president Obasanjo( If you are excited about Jonathan, understand that you are excited about Obasanjo). Did i hear someone say nothing has changed?
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by selingel: 8:06pm On Apr 22, 2010
goldenterp:

It is what it is. Jonathan is being used by Obasanjo more than any other group in the PDP can boast of. I wonder why people are getting excited about handing over power BACK to ex-president Obasanjo( If you are excited about Jonathan, understand that you are excited about Obasanjo). Did i hear someone say nothing has changed?

Guy, nothing has changed indeed. Even if Ibori is caught today, it does not mean that one corruption battle in the war has been won. It would mean that, one anti-OBJ has gone to jail, instead of corrupt leader. If Jonathan was to fight corruption, he should have sent OBJ first to jail, before declaring, "give me Ibori dead or alive".
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by marvix(m): 8:28pm On Apr 22, 2010
I don't c y anyone shld be bothered if Jonathan is bein used by Obj wat if Jonathan is actually using Obj I personally think dat a lot of u guys on this forum underrate this man Goodluck Jonathan.

Does Ibori have a case 2 answer or not? If he has nothin 2 hide he shld come out and stop d drama. Jonathan can choose which corrupt person he likes at least even if Ibori remains in hidin he can't come out nd campaign against Jonathan.

When Jonathan bcoms substantive president he can den go ahead to declare d same Obj wanted dead or alive or is it not d same Ibori dat financed the campaign dat made Jonathan VP in d 1st place, it wld be a mata of time b4 Obj nd Jonathan fell apart.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by selingel: 8:37pm On Apr 22, 2010
marvix:

I don't c y anyone shld be bothered if Jonathan is bein used by Obj wat if Jonathan is actually using Obj I personally think dat a lot of u guys on this forum underrate this man Goodluck Jonathan.

Does Ibori have a case 2 answer or not? If he has nothin 2 hide he shld come out and stop d drama. Jonathan can choose which corrupt person he likes at least even if Ibori remains in hidin he can't come out nd campaign against Jonathan.

When Jonathan bcoms substantive president he can den go ahead to declare d same Obj wanted dead or alive or is it not d same Ibori dat financed the campaign dat made Jonathan VP in d 1st place, it wld be a mata of time b4 Obj nd Jonathan fell apart.

There is nothing you will say here, except you have enough credible facts, OBJ is using Jonathan to hunt his opponents. Jonathan has never done anything so unique even when he was the Deputy governor of Bayelsa. For GOD sake, how can you say a man should be arrested dead or alive (if he actually said that)? Why would he be hunting Yar'adua's men if he does not have any interior motive? If you must fight corruption, let it be 100% total war. Okay, we assume he is fighting corruption, then his wife should be in jail by now. OBJ should have been in jail, immediately he took over as Acting President. IBB should not even have the effrontery to tell us again under Jonathan that he wants to contest, if indeed Jonathan is fighting corruption. There are many begging questions, he needs to give us answers.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by o9999: 8:53pm On Apr 22, 2010
Ok so y does all these OBJ using GJ and hunting sound like a what pple were saying during alamaesigha's hunt. Pls if u were the leader of a country and ur IG refuses to arrest d person he is ordered to cos of who the person is, then the person becomes an enemy of state and u will want him dead of alife after which u deal with the IG
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by selingel: 9:12pm On Apr 22, 2010
o9999:

Ok so y does all these OBJ using GJ and hunting sound like a what pple were saying during alamaesigha's hunt. Pls if u were the leader of a country and your IG refuses to arrest d person he is ordered to cos of who the person is, then the person becomes an enemy of state and u will want him dead of alife after which u deal with the IG

My Dear, this is the problem with many people here. They just talk because someone opened his mouth wide, and others immediately concurred, without investigation or reference. Who told you IG does not want to arrest Ibori? Have you been to Oghara before? Oghara is village (turned town by Ibori) and it can boast of street lights provided by James Ibori. You can hardly see a street not tarred, except it used to be a very minor or isolated road before Ibori left power. Oghara is a village, but he turned it into town. There are street lights there, and they are powered by generators provided now by the state government, but they used to be powered by solar system. Some areas not covered by generator powered street lights, the solar system takes care of that. How many state capitals in Nigeria can boast of that? How many? That is why those boys/militants are ready to die for him. That is why those women did what they did. He did so much for his people, that many now see him as a worthy son. Oghara even has a stadium, can you imagine? Zain Nigeria have a big office in Oghara, what does that mean to you? Emplyment, I guess? Yes, he might have stolen to go that far, but his people felt the impact of his government.

That is the reason, the Police are very cautious about the whole thing. If he must be arrested, then lives will be lost, and many properties will be destroyed, by both the government and the militants. This will not portray the current OBJ machined government well. That is the truth.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Enjoyment1(f): 10:18pm On Apr 22, 2010
Hmmm!. Now I know why militants wants to die for Ibori. I am sure if it was to be OBJ, he would have been surrendered by his kinsmen, for not completing that Ota road grin grin grin grin grin during his tenure! grin grin grin grin.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by goldenterp(f): 11:13pm On Apr 22, 2010
Enjoyment1:

Hmmm!. Now I know why militants wants to die for Ibori. I am sure if it was to be OBJ, he would have been surrendered by his kinsmen, for not completing that Ota road grin grin grin grin grin during his tenure! grin grin grin grin.
[/quote

Well, now that he i s back, he should go on an complete the road!
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Enjoyment1(f): 9:22am On Apr 23, 2010
What will make a devil like OBJ to complete such a project? Has he finished running after Ibori? Now, the SSS have joined the Ibori chase. The waiting game continues
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Enjoyment1(f): 9:33am On Apr 23, 2010
IBORI: Oghara calm, awaits EFCC’s fresh move
Cover StoriesApr 23, 2010

Oghara youths barricaded the road leading to Chief James Ibori's country home with logs of timber to prevent EFCC from arresting him, yesterday. Photo: Barnabas Uzosike & Akpokona Omafuaire
By Emma Amaize

OGHARA—VANGUARD exclusively gained access into the stately home of the former Governor of Delta State, Chief James Onanefe Ibori at Oghara in Ethiope West Local Government Area, yesterday.

Although Ibori was said to be in the house and even took his lunch at about 2.00 p.m, access to him was restricted.
However, fresh protest erupted in the community over the EFCC manhunt for him by Oghara youths and women, who had vowed to die, defending their son from alleged victimization by EFCC and its sponsors.

The compound was calm, with no sign that trouble was hanging in the corner for the owner, and no armed security man was sighted.
Vanguard was led into the compound by one of the Oghara youth leaders but our photographers were disallowed from taking photographs on the grounds that “the purpose we brought you in is for you to see that there are no militants inside here. All of us are youths of Oghara and we also want you to know that nobody is stopping anybody from coming to see Ibori but not when they come in a violent manner.” Vanguard’s request to speak to the ex-governor was rebuffed.

The gate of the residence was opened by personnel of a private security outfit hired by the ex-governor, and domestic staff were going about their normal duties.

The chef, gardener and a host of other workers did not show any sign of fear when they saw the journalists except that the steward asked our guide: “Who are these people?” Once, he was told they were journalists, he continued with his chores.
One of the domestic staff who did not disclose his name said, “Contrary to what we read in the newspaper that Ibori has fled Oghara or guarding himself with militants, we are all going about our normal duties and there are no militants here.”

He said: “Ibori reads ‘the nonsense’ some of the newspapers write. He sent somebody to buy newspapers today (yesterday) and they brought them to him. He is not happy with the lies some of the newspapers are concocting against him, I wonder where some of journalists get the stories you write.”
A source said visitors were not barred from the compound but they must be authorised.

Protesters in Oghara
On the confusion over the whereabouts of the former governor, the public relations officer of Oghara Youths Movement, OYM, Prince Olatunji Olusoji said: “There should be no confusion about Ibori’s whereabouts, he is not hiding, he is inside his house, but, Oghara youths will not allow any security agent to come here and arrest him.”

Corroborating Prince Olusoji’s claim, one of the ex-governor’s aides told Vanguard yesterday: “I am one of the domestic staff of Chief Ibori, we are all going about our normal duties and as I speak to you now, Ibori is taking his lunch.”
Asked if the youths were not aware that the EFCC had asked Ibori to surrender himself, Olusoji said the ex-governor would not surrender to EFCC. He admonished the law enforcement agency to obey the agreement between its counsel, Ibori’s counsel and Justice Buba Mohammed of the Federal High Court, Asaba, that the status quo would be maintained pending the trial of the case before the court.
IG, EFCC chairman map out fresh strategies

However, the Inspector General of Police, Ogbonna Onovo, Chairman of the EFCC, Mrs. Farida Waziri and heads of other security agencies were, yesterday, said to be mapping out fresh strategies on how to arrest Ibori, but, it was not clear when they would storm Oghara for him.
But the vice chairman of the OYM, Mr. Favour Ededey who also maintained that Ibori won’t surrender to the EFCC said it was surprising that the Acting

President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan was lending himself to whims and caprices of the former Federal Commissioner for Information, Chief Edwin Clark, who had earlier boasted that he would employ his closeness to Dr. Jonathan to use the EFCC to hunt Chief Ibori.
He said: “Ibori won’t surrender because there is foul play in the arrangement. You cannot invite somebody and even when the time that you invited him had not come, you declare him wanted.”

Ededey said that Chief Clark’s anger was that Ibori, whom he regarded as a “small boy” was in control of the political structure of the state, which he purportedly used to install Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan as governor in 2007 and would not want Dr. Uduaghan to continue in office in 2011.
Noting that it was all politics, he stressed that the rule of law should be followed, adding: “Ibori is the architect of PDP in Delta State, Clark knows that and if he is tired of the party, he should go and form his own party and stop causing trouble in the state. Oghara people will die for Ibori because he transformed the village to a town with water, solar electricity, good networks of roads and other basic amenities. No matter what you say about him, we, Oghara people love Ibori.”

Yesterday’s protest was peaceful but entrance to the street leading to the former governor’s house was barricaded once again. The barricades were removed on Wednesday morning but it resurfaced yesterday.
There was rumour that the JTF might storm the residence yesterday but Oghara was calm as at 3.00 p.m. However, reports that Armoured Personnel Carriers and other detachment of policemen have been drafted to the community were not true.
Vanguard went round Oghara and there was no deployment of fresh security.
‘They want to deal with Ibori like Abiola’

Meantimme, the Oghara Youths Movement has accused the Police and EFCC of planning to treat the former Governor of Delta State, Chief James Ibori the way the late Chief Moshood Abiola and the former Governor of Bayelsa State, Chief Diepreye Alamieyeseigha were dealt with.

The group’s spokesman, Prince Olatunji Olusoji, in a statement also faulted the claim that the police team, led by a Deputy Inspector General of Police, DIG, Udom Ekpoudom, which stormed the Oghara country home of Chief James Ibori on Tuesday was there to advise him to surrender, and not to arrest him.
Olusoji said: “Why is the Nigeria Police contradicting itself, DIG Ekpoudom was said in today’s (yesterday) Vanguard to have come to Oghara on Tuesday to see Ibori and not to arrest him but the police through its Force PRO, Emmanuel Ojukwu, said in one of the newspapers today (yesterday) that armed youths foiled the arrest of Ibori when DIG Ekpoudom was said to have only come to visit Ibori.
“So, who were the policemen that came for the arrest that armed youths resisted. I leave that question to the Nigeria Police to answer. Considering their statements, it shows that the Police and EFCC have hidden agenda because firstly, they disobeyed the orders of the Federal High Court, Asaba, thereby disregarding the rule of law.

“Secondly, they have plans to extradite Ibori to London; they also have plans to treat him the way they treated MKO Abiola and Alamieyeseigha and that, we will not allow because this is purely political persecution and we will continue to resist them because the case has political undertone.
“We will continue to resist them because they have disobeyed court orders, we are peace-loving and law-abiding citizens of Oghara and not militants and we believe in the rule of law and social justice but can at times, become rebellious if pushed to the wall. The world is watching.”

Justice I. N. Buba, in his ruling, 19 April, 2010, on the preliminary objection stated: “On the issue of the preservative order, I have considered the submissions of learned counsel, Mr. I. B. Daudu and Mr. C. Okoronma. I am of the considered opinion that since Mr. Okoronma had submitted that since they received the court process, they have not done anything, I will equally take it that they will not do anything to prejudice the fair trial of this case.
“I take the words of the counsel as his bond, i.e: ‘We would not do anything that will make the determination of this matter a fait accompli.’ In the light of these statements, I believe parties will respect the rule of law and allow the court seized of this matter to determine it, as the only authority in Nigeria that can decide dispute between parties, government and indeed, all authorities are subject to law and the jurisdiction of the courts to which disputes are constitutionally vested and decided.”

‘Don’t confront security operatives’
Chief James Ibori has called on Oghara youth not to confront security agencies in their quest to defend his innocence before the Economic and Financial Crime Commission, EFCC.
Chief Ibori in a statement signed by his Media Assistant, Mr. Tony Eluemor, charged the youths to eschew violence in dealing with security operatives that are hunting him.

The statement reads: “My advice to the inhabitants of Oghara is for them to shun violence and go about their normal duties. They should not give E. K Clark and those he works for the chance they have been looking for to commit genocide against them.”
He expressed fears that confrontation with the security operatives may degenerate into violence with grave consequences for the people of the state especially the Urhobos, adding: “It might present an opportunity to misguided elements to take actions that will affect the fragile peace that Warri has enjoyed for a while now; the peace I spent a better part of my days at Government House Asaba to cultivate.
‘EFCC has no evidence against me’

Meanwhile, Chief James Onanefe Ibori has said that media reports about the continued spate of investigations the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, have unleashed against the Delta State Government, have proved to the whole world that they have nothing against him.
He said that EFCC had proclaimed in December 2007, when the agency arraigned him in Kaduna Federal High Court, that they had completed all investigations against him, before taking the matter to court.

In a statement from Tony Eluemunor, his Media Assistant, Ibori said: “It is telling that three years after he was arraigned, EFCC is still on a fishing expedition in Asaba, questioning and re-questioning government officials, arresting and re-arresting civil servants, in an unending attempt to get something, just anything against me, not only over matters that have been investigated before, but charges that have been tried in court and thrown energetically out of the window. EFCC appealed against the Federal High Court judgment, an appeal which is still on-going at the Benin circuit of the Court of Appeal.”

This time, he said, the EFCC have, against the norms of investigation all over the world, refused to pin-point the charges they are allegedly investigating. Worst of all, the Federal Government of Nigeria has shown it has no regard for the rule of law by flouting a ruling of the Federal High Court, Asaba, that the EFCC, the Police and State Security Service, SSS, should maintain the “status quo”, an an undertaking made by EFCC’s counsel in open court, by not attempting to arrest Ibori .
Ibori said that if the present onslaught against him is because of E.K. Clark’s petition over Ascot company (Wilbros) purchase and Delta State Government shares in Oceanic Bank, then the matters are not new at all as the shares are still intact and proceeds from 40 per cent of the shares sold were paid into Delta State Government accounts, via a cheque written in the State’s name. Most of all, he said: “these same old matters were investigated in September last year and nothing untoward was found.

http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Enjoyment1(f): 9:36am On Apr 23, 2010
Heavy logs used to block road leading to Ibori's house in Oghara.

Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Enjoyment1(f): 9:37am On Apr 23, 2010
Pockets of protesters at Ibori's hometown.

Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Enjoyment1(f): 9:50am On Apr 23, 2010
No matter what anyone says here, I know for sure, that this government can easily be used, and it is evident here!. Meanwhile, the governemnt must watch it, else people will begin to see their motives and serious lapses, just like desperation witnessed in how EFCC is handling this situation. How can you give someone a date to appear before you, and even when the date is not near, you declare him wanted. I keep pondering over it!!! Fight corruption, but fight it on the basis of equality, shekinah!.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Hardtalk: 9:55am On Apr 23, 2010
I would have advised the government to allow the situation remain, as further man hunt will lead to bloodbath and might increase tension in the Niger Delta area. Do not undermine the power of the boys.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Hardtalk: 10:03am On Apr 23, 2010
Ibori: Residents flee Oghara, as militants prepare for showdown
FRIDAY, 23 APRIL 2010 00:00 NIGERIAN COMPASS

SCARED by the activities of security forces hunting former Delta State governor, Chief James Ibori, in his hometown, and the militants shielding him, residents were seen fleeing the area yesterday because of what they called “the fear of the unknown”.

Since Ibori’s dramatic escape on Tuesday, as the Federal Government sent policemen to arrest him, men of the Joint Task Force (JTF) drafted to his hometown in Oghara, Ethiope East Local Government Area of Delta State, have been combing everywhere in search of the former governor, who was declared wanted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over alleged misappropriation of N44 billion.

Some commissioners, legislators and residents were seen trooping out of the town yesterday.

One of them, who pleaded for anonymity, said those who were fleeing feared that there could be a repeat of what happened in Gbaramatu axis of the state, when the JTF and militants clashed in May, last year, and the incident at Odi, Bayelsa State.

The commissioner told the Nigerian Compass in Asaba, the Delta State capital: “I have contacted a friend among the JTF who only managed to say: ‘But you know your man (Ibori) dared us now.’ I interpreted it to mean a confirmation of the directive.”

He also revealed that Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan has been on his kneels, pleading with him to prevail on Oghara youths to vacate Ibori’s house, especially all the entrances leading to the town.

A lecturer at the Delta State Polytechnic, Oghara, who simply identified himself as Austin and has just moved his family and belongings to Asaba, confirmed that there is fear and apprehension within the locality.

“There is tension everywhere. People can no longer sleep with their two eyes closed for fear that the community may be bombarded overnight. The presence of security agents both conventional and non-conventional has aggravated the fears. People now relocate to Sapele, Warri and Benin, Edo State. Since I have nobody in those places, I have to run to Asaba as academic work is no longer conducive.”

A driver with a popular transport company in Edo State, Bob-Izua Motors, who plies Benin-Oghara-Sapele-Warri, said that the road had been so busy just as the business had become lucrative as he now plies Benin-Oghara route several times in a day, because of the fleeing residents.

According to him, the transport fare that was N300 some weeks ago has increased to N500, and loads are charged separately.

Meanwhile, EFCC Chairman, Mrs. Farida Waziri, yesterday met with State Security Service (SSS) agents in Abuja, to plan the next move on Ibori.

After the meeting, Mrs. Waziri announced that the EFCC has also declared Ibori’s finance commissioner, Love Ijakobor and the Managing Director of a construction company, ASCOT, Mr. Henry Imasara wanted.

A former chairman of the Nigerian Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), Oghara branch, however, vowed yesterday that the youths would resist any infiltration of the community.

He said “Let us see how they (the security agents) will come in. We are aware that they have planted some detectives among us, but we know ourselves. We are going to defend our leader, benefactor and true son with every arsenal at our disposal. We have been told that they are mobilizing to come either through water or air.”

Similarly, a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Oghara threatened that apart from the action of the youths, the elders and leaders of the party may decide to punish the party in the forth-coming election, if one of its financiers is humiliated unduly.

He lamented that the PDP is biting the finger that fed it. He added: “A river that forgets its source is bound to dry up. The fight against Ibori is tantamount to fighting the party.”

Motorists were, yesterday, having a tough time on the roads that have been blocked with logs by militants.

Friends and associates of the former governor have allegedly beefed up security around their persons and their houses to ward off suspicious movements, just as some people were said to have started taking advantage of the situation to harass motorists and commuters in the town.

“The whereabouts of our son is a mystery to us and the entire community is outraged, if you want to go and arrest a person, you do that without any person knowing. How did the youths know that they were coming? Definitely that information was leaked such that the Oghara youths can come out to defend their son. And they can say that Oghara people have gone mad,” Chief Tony Omena, the President General of Oghara Elite Forum told the Nigerian Compass.

Omena, accused the EFCC of carrying out a ‘war’ on Ibori, adding that the people should not be sacrificed as “it was done in Odi, Bayelsa State”.

He stressed that due process and the rule of law must be adhered to, as he urged the EFCC to diligently prosecute the case against Ibori at the Edo State Appeal Court.

Hon. Ben Ibakpa, Deputy Majority Leader, Delta State House of Assembly and member representing Ethiope-West Constituency (Ibori’s constituency), also condemned the action of the EFCC, pointing out that the anti-graft agency is determined to “persecute and not prosecute Ibori”.

When asked whether he has seen Ibori, Hon Ibakpa said: “Well, I saw him before the whole thing took a new turn, but for sometime now we have not seen him. They withdrew the security men guarding him. As we are talking to you, we are seriously looking for him. His phones are not going. We cannot reach him in any way. We are looking up to the EFCC to tell us where they are keeping Ibori. But I must confess there is tension everywhere.”

Niger Delta activist, Chief Bello Oboko, also said that the corruption fight had been counter productive to the peace process.

Oboko added that in as much as he would not support corruption in high places, the principle of non-violence philosophy should be applied by the anti-graft agency in the fight against corruption in the country.

According to him it is an affront to peace in the Niger Delta region for the EFCC boss, “to state equivocally in the media that we will get Ibori”.

More support came for Ibori yesterday as 23 Presidents-General of the 23 Urhobo kingdoms in Delta condemned what they called: “Heckling, witch-hunting and gangster methods used EFCC.”

They labeled as “faceless” those who challenged a publication of the Urhobo Royal Fathers in a national Daily, warning that such affront against the gods of the land would spare no rebel against Urhobo traditional rulers.

In a communiqué read on behalf of the Presidents-General by Chief Joe Omene, the Ejorofo of Mosogar kingdom in Mosogar, Ethiope West L.G.A , the body noted with “sadness the recent vilification and wicked attempt to malign our illustrious son and national political leader Chief James Ibori by EFCC”.

It, however, commended the Urhobo Traditional Rulers for their bold and courageous stand against the EFCC.

The apex group of Urhobo leaders also condemned statements attributed to “Ibori enemies that using the power of the office of the Acting President and Commander in Chief of the Armed forces Dr. Jonathan to hound Chief Ibori out of Nigeria”.

http://www.compassnewspaper.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46664:ibori-residents-flee-oghara-as-militants-prepare-for-showdown-&catid=672:top-stories&Itemid=794
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Otobroto(f): 10:10am On Apr 23, 2010
The latest news is that, Ibori escaped even without his mistress. The lady was still sleeping when Ibori got wind of the news and escaped. As at Wednesday, the Mistress was seen boarding Arik flight en route an unknown location. I thought behind every successful man, there was a woman? Where is she running to? Ibori is a good man, except for the financial aspect of it, that is the problem. Corruption should not be tolerated in whatever form, but I hate Jonathan's method of going about this. He has shown that, he is under an influence.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

This Is How Uduaghan Spends Delta States Money / Suicide Bomber Shot Dead In Borno / Tension In Yola Over Death Of Student In Police Custody

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.