Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,750 members, 7,806,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:40 AM

Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls (50431 Views)

40 American Students Take Igbo Names After Tracing Ancestry To Igboland / 60 Igbo Names & Their Meaning / Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by sexdoll: 11:09pm On Feb 10, 2018
point of correction.

Fumnanya doesn't mean love me.

Actually, Fumnanya is short for Chukwu Fumnanya

Which means

God loves me
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Konquest: 11:11pm On Feb 10, 2018
vanessaRN:
If you missed the Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls see link below.. https://www.nairaland.com/4338170/uncommon-yoruba-names-boys-girls

Are you looking for the most beautiful and unique Igbo names for your future baby? You have come to the right place. Here you will find a list of the most interesting and meaningful ancient names that are traditional for Delta Igbo people.

What’s there behind a person’s name?

All the nations, peoples and tribes in the world have a tradition of giving people names. In all traditions all around the globe, people’s personal names have a meaning. It’s not just a combination of letters that sounds pleasant. Ancient people believed that it’s something that could protect a person from evil spirits, give him or her a good destiny and success in life, or describe his or her personality in the best way.

The most ancient names are often the most beautiful. In the modern world and due to the clash of cultures, many names migrate between languages, countries, and cultures, people begin to forget the way their ancestors named their children.
Are Igbo names and meaning special in any way?

For Igbo people, a name is a way to express somebody’s unique personality. The majority of Igbo names are composed with the help of grammatical rules of the Igbo language. Each part of these names has a symbolic meaning. A name can reflect the circumstances of a child’s birth. Some people say that in ancient times, baby girls, future women, were named after market trading days.
What about the last name?

Unique Delta Igbo names and meaning

Now, let’s check out some traditional Delta Igbo baby names and their meaning.
Igbo baby names

Ozioma – this is both a male and a female name, which means “unique great news”
Uzoamaka – this is a female name, which means “a good journey” or “a smooth path”
Osinachi – this is a male name, which means “originating from God”
Ifeanacho – this is a male name, which means “exactly what we are searching for”
Jamuike – this is a male name, which means “encourage me” or “inspire me”
Daaluchineke/Chukwudaalu – these are both male and female names, which mean “thank you, Lord” or “thank God”
Ginikawa/Ginikachukwu – these are female names with meanings “there’s nothing greater than a child” and “there’s nothing greater than the Lord”
Akwaugo – this is a female name, which means “my precious daughter”
Sopuluchi – this is a male name, which means “respect God”
Akubundu – this is a male name, which means “wealth is life”
Amaogechukwu – this is a female name, which means “ Lord’s time is the best”
Ibeamaka – this is a male name, which means “love is in a friend”
Azuka – this is both a female and male name, which means “we grow stronger with experience”
Akumjeli – this is both a female and male name, which means “I will enjoy that wealth”
Isioma – this is a female name, which means “good luck”
Ositadimma – this is a male name, which means “May all be well since now”
Onochie – this is a female name, which means “the one who replaces”
Chukwunomso – this is both a female and male name, which means “Lord is near me”
Fumnanya – this is a female name, which means “love me”
Akuabia – this is a male name, which means “wealth has come”

How to choose a good name for your baby?

Here are several recommendations on choosing a good name for your child. To find a lovely name in specialized lists is one thing but wear it in everyday life is completely different. As parents, you should remember that if you like a certain name, it’s not a fact that your child will like it, too.

If you have twins, it may seem very cute to give them names that sound in some way similar.

source
https://www.reportnaija.ng/2018/02/10/beautiful-igbo-names-baby-boys-girls/

L
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Oblion(m): 11:12pm On Feb 10, 2018
Kelechi - thankGod Obinna- Father's heart Ezinne- Good mum Nnenna - father's mum Chidiebere- God is merciful
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by maxwell767(m): 11:12pm On Feb 10, 2018
ify1234:

Isi ka a raa gi otu?

grin Onye ara
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by maxwell767(m): 11:13pm On Feb 10, 2018
Alariiwo:

It's Olajide not that thing you wrote. The "g" sound is actually "j"

Oh, forgive me sir. smiley
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by discman2k2(m): 11:17pm On Feb 10, 2018
My kids names include "Jayamma", which means Praise the Lord; Mmerisinachi, meaning Victory is from God;

Igbo names, i must say, are quite unique, & depicts an encounter with God in different aspects of life.

Umu Igbo kwenu!!!

7 Likes

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by melzabull(f): 11:33pm On Feb 10, 2018
ActNowGov:
Op what the heck is traditional Igbo and delta doing in the same sentence? (What is delta? )
Listen my friend, that stupid divide and conquer and loss of identity that flew in 2009 when we only had the Yoruba newspapers to read cannot and will not be allowed to fly anymore.
You either say Traditional Igbo names or you keep shut. There is nothing like delta Igbo, that rubbish is long gone. Igbo niile bu ofu. Apart from that, good topic and quite lovely names.
well said. Don't mind the ignorant op

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Wiseandtrue(f): 11:46pm On Feb 10, 2018
mybestlove:
Chimamanda= my God will never fail (female)

Ugonna = father's pride (male/female)

Chidinma= God is good (female)

Amarachi = God's grace (female)

Ugochukwu= God's peace (male/female)

Onyedikachi = Who is like God (male)

Chimamkpam =God knows my worries/needs (male)

Nneka = Mother is superior (female)

Obioma= good heart (male)

Tochukwu = Praise God (male)

And many many many others.
how come

Ugonna is Father's pride

and

Ugochukwu is God's peace

shouldn't they mean the same? considering the fact that the difference is nna and Chukwu?

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by ZaraGift: 11:49pm On Feb 10, 2018
Good Yoruba names

Ramotu - female name

Olaniyi - male name
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by bigfrancis21: 12:10am On Feb 11, 2018
promisechris63:
I heard that Imo State is now a land of statues and children born there now bear names related to it, like:
1) Chikpurum (God molded me).
2) Chikpuo (God,mould).
3) Chikpuwa (God be moulding).
4) Chinakpu (God moulds).
5) Chigakpu (God will mold).
6) Chikpuzie (God mould well).
7) Chikpuchaa (God finish moulding).
cool Chiakpuchalam (God has finished moulding me.
9) Chikpuzirim (God moulded me well).
10) Chikputaram (God moulded me well).
11) Chimakpu (God knows how to mould).
12) Chikpusirimike (God moulded me strongly).
13) Chikpurumnkeoma (God moulded me well).
14) Chiakpughi (God did not mould).
15) Chiokpukpu (God that moulds).
16) Okpukpuchukwu (What God moulded).
17) Okpukpuomachi (God's beautiful mould).
18) Onyechukwukpuziri (Who God moulded well).
19) Onyechikpuru (Who God moulded).
20) Mgbechikpuru (When God moulds).
21) Ihechikpuru (What God moulded).
22) Kachisirikpuo (How God moulded).
23) Chikpurugawa (God continue moulding).
Onyekpurukachi (Who moulds like God).
24) Chikpuba (Let God continue moulding).
25) Chikpufo (God eeh don do). �

grin grin grin
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Twrecks(m): 12:12am On Feb 11, 2018
What does Chidozie mean?
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Orjioorji(f): 1:01am On Feb 11, 2018
Baawaa:
I cannot find Ojukwu, Nnamdi,Orubebe,Azikwe etc in the list are they not good ibos names
slave shut your annal pur.
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Probz(m): 1:19am On Feb 11, 2018
bigfrancis21:

grin grin grin

Francis has returned from the land of the dead.

Ke nke nme?
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Ademat7(m): 2:36am On Feb 11, 2018
if only we could leave our colonial masters name and promote ours
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by cnonyechi(f): 5:23am On Feb 11, 2018
My daughter is Chinecherem. God thinks for me good thoughts
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by bigfrancis21: 5:46am On Feb 11, 2018
Probz:

Francis has returned from the land of the dead.

Ke nke nme?

grin grin Nna, ife odogwu fulu n'ani ndi nwulu anwu fialu m aru okwukwu lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I dey o...how's naija?

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Pricelessangel0(f): 6:35am On Feb 11, 2018
My Name Is Not There & Its Beautiful & Unique. NKECHINYEREM-What God Gave To Me, Igbo Amaka

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Pricelessangel0(f): 6:39am On Feb 11, 2018
Wiseandtrue:

how come

Ugonna is Father's pride

and

Ugochukwu is God's peace

shouldn't they mean the same? considering the fact that the difference is nna and Chukwu?
U Are Wrong Ugo Means Glory
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Lilimax(f): 6:42am On Feb 11, 2018
promisechris63:
I heard that Imo State is now a land of statues and children born there now bear names related to it, like:
1) Chikpurum (God molded me).
2) Chikpuo (God,mould).
3) Chikpuwa (God be moulding).
4) Chinakpu (God moulds).
5) Chigakpu (God will mold).
6) Chikpuzie (God mould well).
7) Chikpuchaa (God finish moulding).
cool Chiakpuchalam (God has finished moulding me.
9) Chikpuzirim (God moulded me well).
10) Chikputaram (God moulded me well).
11) Chimakpu (God knows how to mould).
12) Chikpusirimike (God moulded me strongly).
13) Chikpurumnkeoma (God moulded me well).
14) Chiakpughi (God did not mould).
15) Chiokpukpu (God that moulds).
16) Okpukpuchukwu (What God moulded).
17) Okpukpuomachi (God's beautiful mould).
18) Onyechukwukpuziri (Who God moulded well).
19) Onyechikpuru (Who God moulded).
20) Mgbechikpuru (When God moulds).
21) Ihechikpuru (What God moulded).
22) Kachisirikpuo (How God moulded).
23) Chikpurugawa (God continue moulding).
Onyekpurukachi (Who moulds like God).
24) Chikpuba (Let God continue moulding).
25) Chikpufo (God eeh don do). �
grin
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Maroghene(m): 6:59am On Feb 11, 2018
Baawaa:
I cannot find Ojukwu, Nnamdi,Orubebe,Azikwe etc in the list are they not good ibos names

Orubebe is an Ijaw name meaning Mouthpiece of the gods
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Worldbest281: 7:02am On Feb 11, 2018
please what's the meaning of Amaka,I be Yoruba but I love d name maybe because that's my ex name
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Odingo1: 7:46am On Feb 11, 2018
Twrecks:
What does Chidozie mean?
God settles problem
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Odingo1: 7:50am On Feb 11, 2018
Worldbest281:
please what's the meaning of Amaka,I be Yoruba but I love d name maybe because that's my ex name
Chiamaka- God is beautiful
Ukamaka- Church is beautiful
Nwamaka- Children is good or having children is nice
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Aldebaran(m): 7:50am On Feb 11, 2018
Fine names
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by archangel1(m): 8:01am On Feb 11, 2018
AKWAUGO literally meaning 'the egg of an Eagle'. i.e a precious son or daughter
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by babajero(m): 8:14am On Feb 11, 2018
mybestlove:
Chimamanda= my God will never fail (female)

Ugonna = father's pride (male/female)

Chidinma= God is good (female)

Amarachi = God's grace (female)

Ugochukwu= God's peace (male/female)

Onyedikachi = Who is like God (male)

Chimamkpam =God knows my worries/needs (male)

Nneka = Mother is superior (female)

Obioma= good heart (male)

Tochukwu = Praise God (male)

And many many many others.
Please why would you say Amarachi is only a female name?
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by paulibling(m): 8:21am On Feb 11, 2018
Odobaone:
My Daughter (Ihuomachi)is refusing everybody's hand apart from my Wyf. And my Wyf is tired of carrying her pls what do I do?

OLX

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by archangel1(m): 8:23am On Feb 11, 2018
Micha -El (Hebrew)- who is like God?
Onye-dika- Chi(Igbo)- who is like God?
Michael=Onyedikachi(onyedikachukwu

Rapha-El (Hebrew)- God heals or God of healing.
Chi-na-gwo(Igbo)- God heals

Jude- Judas- Judah (Hebrew)-praise God
To-Chukwu- Tobe-Chukwu(Igbo) - Praise God
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Odobaone: 8:24am On Feb 11, 2018
paulibling:

OLX

Chai I faint
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by paulibling(m): 8:25am On Feb 11, 2018
Odingo1:

Chiamaka- God is beautiful
Ukamaka- Church is beautiful

Ukamaka means communication is good. Wait for Mazi Onwù to translate so that you go learn naa.
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by ogwomba(m): 9:16am On Feb 11, 2018
Chimermnma
Chimeremeze
Ikemsinachi
They are my world, bless them and children all over the world oh! God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Traditional Regalia Of The Oba Of Lagos Destroyed In Fire - NEMA / Women Pound Food On A Man With Mortar & Pestles (Video, Photos) / Ooni Ogunwusi Launches Nigerian-Made Buses For Mass Transit - Pictured

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.