Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,136 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine (20629 Views)

Drug Abuse: Slaymama Poses With Bottles Of Codeine Syrup And Milk. / BREAKING: FG Bans Production Of Codeine Based Syrups In Nigeria / 3m Bottles Of Codeine-containing Syrup Consumed Daily In Kano, Jigwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by thorpido(m): 7:12am On Feb 11, 2018
Lexusgs430:

If you don't understand a statement, apply your brain or ask.....
He's on codeine already bro.
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by WorldRichest: 7:20am On Feb 11, 2018
Desyner:
I propose we ban it 3 days to 2019 polls. Buhari's boys will be having withdrawal symptoms and likely stay out of trouble when results are announced.

You are one of those that will commit suicide when 2019 Presidential election results are announced. Buhari will get 2.5 million votes in Kano, 2 million votes in Katsina and Kaduna, 1.5 million votes in other North-West and North-East states and 1.2 million votes in North-Central states. Our brothers in Niger Republic, Chad and Northern Cameroon and Benin Republic will also be here to add to Buhari's votes. By the time you add up Buhari votes in the North alone, it will be more than all the people in South-South and South-East. Then, you will drink sniper insecticide.
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by olu690(m): 7:23am On Feb 11, 2018
Itz a science student thing o... just like i am right nw!!! On a science student mode.
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by phydell(m): 7:24am On Feb 11, 2018
Excellent write-up Oga Tiwa!...there are ready alternatives for non-productive cough, available and equally effective without necessarily bearing the risk for addiction.
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by Gwazah(m): 7:27am On Feb 11, 2018
NothingDoMe:
I don't think codeine is being sold over the counter. Drugs with codeine are now controlled.

Story story!
Codeine has being selling over the counter more than paracetamol, but I know they are selling it against the ethics because it yield a quick profit.
I remember when my Dr prescribed it for me in zamfara state, they all refuse to sell it for me giving an excuse that it has finished because I was a strange face, I then met with one of the codeine addict and gave him money, he went and bought it for me from the same chemist that told me they don't have.

1 Like

Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by donkaz2(m): 7:58am On Feb 11, 2018
Alot needs to be checked codeine is not the only problem around , i once see a nigger up north smoke dry human sh*t says its better than week some scrape amoeba and dry then smoke thats to tell u how mentally derained they are. here in the sounth na concortion be the problem ppl can mix their kidney.....

Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by vchykp(m): 8:04am On Feb 11, 2018
NothingDoMe:
I don't think codeine is being sold over the counter. Drugs with codeine are now controlled.
i strongly believe you are a nigerian based in india
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by orjikuramo(m): 8:06am On Feb 11, 2018
cheesy cheesy grin grin
U don kill me with laff finish.
Dronedude:

Our chapel prefect has spoken.
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by dtrend(m): 8:07am On Feb 11, 2018
Desyner:
I propose we ban it 3 days to 2019 polls. Buhari's boys will be having withdrawal symptoms and likely stay out of trouble when results are announced.

grin
you're nuts.......
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by dtrend(m): 8:10am On Feb 11, 2018
anibirelawal:
To science students :
Codine + Tramadol =
grin
#STAY.AWAY.FROM.HARD.DRUG.
mad combo..... Pls, don't do drugs
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by Lexusgs430: 8:13am On Feb 11, 2018
thorpido:
He's on codeine already bro.

I thought as much, Bro.......
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by Lexusgs430: 8:14am On Feb 11, 2018
emmayayodeji:

Guy,
Please leave me alone

I'm not alright

Probably excessive use of codeine....
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by Jman06(m): 8:16am On Feb 11, 2018
Codeine when properly used has a lot of therapeutic benefits as it serves as a good pain killer, cough suppressant and even as antidiarrheal agent. Therefore, outright ban shouldn't be considered.

However, Nigeria should try and get things right for once in her drug control policies. It is only in backward countries like Nigeria that anybody can just wake up one day and begin to sell drugs with no knowledge of drugs. Go to even Ghana our next door neighbor, people don't just walk into any so called "chemist" store and begin to prescribe and dispense drugs to themselves. They go to the hospital, see a physician and have medications prescribed for them, then they take the prescription to a pharmacy where a pharmacist would check the prescription for corrections before dispensing the drugs to the patient and then counsel the patient on the use of the drug and possibly follow up with the therapy until the best possible result is obtained. That is how it is done in civilized societies!
That way, you can be sure that drugs of abuse like codeine, tramadol etc can be properly controlled and their dispensary would be strictly on prescription.

Let us close down all open drug markets but establish coordinated drug distribution centers so that we can thoroughly monitor how drugs are distributed and used. Support the closure of open drug markets today so that our unborn children could be saved from dangers of drug abuse.
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by fuckpro: 8:34am On Feb 11, 2018
Dongreat:
Understand that banning codeine will not stop addiction but increase it along with triple both smuggling and crime rate. This is a powerful opioid (lower than morphine of course) that renders benefits to block pain but with its europhic effect you get half good and half bad.
You want to reduce the level of abuse, then try the next best thing; education/ awareness about the danger of the side effects. Use both animated ad plus local bill boards to spread the message. Also, it shouldn’t be OTC and distributing to only certified pharmacy in states with proper documentation so that any slip up to sell to unlicensed pharmacy will be easily detected.
The USA is having same problem with oxycodone and they just can’t ban it cos these drugs are the only powerful classes of painkillers we have for now.
...in south only pharmacy dispense drugs and only with doctor written prescription we should move in that direction
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by RexTramadol1: 8:42am On Feb 11, 2018
Ban codeine jare and leave Tram.

Kini difference file ati fali.
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by RexTramadol1: 8:46am On Feb 11, 2018
Jman06:
Codeine when properly used has a lot of therapeutic benefits as it serves as a good pain killer, cough suppressant and even as antidiarrheal agent. Therefore, outright ban shouldn't be considered.

However, Nigeria should try and get things right for once in her drug control policies. It is only in backward countries like Nigeria that anybody can just wake up one day and begin to sell drugs with no knowledge of drugs. Go to even Ghana our next door neighbor, people don't just walk into any so called "chemist" store and begin to prescribe and dispense drugs to themselves. They go to the hospital, see a physician and have medications prescribed for them, then they take the prescription to a pharmacy where a pharmacist would check the prescription for corrections before dispensing the drugs to the patient and then counsel the patient on the use of the drug and possibly follow up with the therapy until the best possible result is obtained. That is how it is done in civilized societies!
That way, you can be sure that drugs of abuse like codeine, tramadol etc can be properly controlled and their dispensary would be strictly on prescription.

Let us close down all open drug markets but establish coordinated drug distribution centers so that we can thoroughly monitor how drugs are distributed and used. Support the closure of open drug markets today so that our unborn children could be saved from dangers of drug abuse.

Tell me something....... Mbok, so Na only Naija u fit get codeine as u want. U try
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by Jman06(m): 8:53am On Feb 11, 2018
RexTramadol1:

Tell me something....... Mbok, so Na only Naija u fit get codeine as u want. U try
Is that what you understood from my write up That tramadol you abuse has really messed up your brain!
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by MLK22555: 9:37am On Feb 11, 2018
who tell u, unless u are not in Nigeria
NothingDoMe:
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by ageraGT: 9:50am On Feb 11, 2018
Shhh!

Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by AerialMapper: 9:57am On Feb 11, 2018
emmayayodeji:
fool.
I pop lean and I've never been to the north

Stfu earthling!!

Your father is a fool for not ejaculating on your mother's face instead of inside her and now the world is burdened with someone like you
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by AerialMapper: 10:06am On Feb 11, 2018
BenzEne1:

So the yahoo yahoo boys drinking this stuff and other drugs in Edo hia are northerners abi? Abeg it is not only a northern problem. It might occur more in the north but it is not restricted to the region. If you know how boys in Auchi Poly and AAU take hard drugs without caution you wouldn't be tribalizing this. And again intoxicants are not allowed in Islam except in a case where they are the only outlet to solve a problem. The Ulammah agree that drugs like Codiene or Morphine can be administered and taken to solve health issues. They are however forbidden when the goal is just to achieve an intoxicated state (getting high). Afterall no muslim can say that he hasn't used a drug or another that might contain a narcotic. This is permitted as it was necessary in solving health issues.

I'm struggling to understand all you've written. I maintain that Codeine is used as a substitute for getting high in the north. So unless you can tell me that cough is a major ailment in the north which explains why you find so many empty brown bottles littered in their neighbourhood, I maintain that they drink it to get high but would call alcohol drinking haram and therefore are hypocrites. Oh ... And add to that empty tubes of vulcnizer rubber solution.
Please just drink alcohol and rest!!!
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by Didi2d(m): 10:09am On Feb 11, 2018
Amirullaha:

So you mean codeine is only misused by the guys up north and no single trace of misuse by those guys down south
We shouldn't add tribalism to all our statements besides, it to early to start any tribal war...
The earlier we start seeing the the better side of a person, the better for us...
#SayNoToTribalism...
#NoToNepotism...

The best thing I have read today..
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by BenzEne1(m): 10:19am On Feb 11, 2018
AerialMapper:

I'm struggling to understand all you've written. I maintain that Codeine is used as a substitute for getting high in the north. So unless you can tell me that cough is a major ailment in the north which explains why you find so many empty brown bottles littered in their neighbourhood, I maintain that they drink it to get high but would call alcohol drinking haram and therefore are hypocrites. Oh ... And add to that empty tubes of vulcnizer rubber solution.
Please just drink alcohol and rest!!!

Alcohol or Codeine o. All forbidden in Islam as they can intoxicate and make one lose control of his senses. Do you understand now? I don't deny that those who consume codeine based drugs and abhor alcohol are hypocrites. It is just not limited to the north alone. It might be more rampart there but a significant number of southern youths abuse these drugs for the purpose of getting high. Benylin-Codeine for instance is a suppressant which can be used (Islamically) only for the purpose of suppressing cough and not consumed for the purpose of getting high. This makes those northern youths hypocrites as you have rightly pointed out.
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by emmyfrenzy(m): 10:22am On Feb 11, 2018
Of all the problems we facing in Nigeria, codiene is the one problem you want to ban.

Kuku kill us na.. Is it your codiene?
Iranu!
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by Ghostmode2two(m): 10:34am On Feb 11, 2018
Tramadol, codeine, Igbo (wewe)
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by Spidermon: 10:55am On Feb 11, 2018
Setting up a committee again on this means the attempt to ban codeine is only a political move.

Nothing will happen.
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by Keywordconcept(m): 11:10am On Feb 11, 2018
The abuse is too much
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by emmayayodeji(m): 11:10am On Feb 11, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Probably excessive use of codeine....

It makes one really aggressive
You're right bro
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by Nobody: 11:40am On Feb 11, 2018
Lyn × Loud × dunhil switch = HellYeah
man must slush, 9ja .ard!
free men!

Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by RexTramadol1: 11:46am On Feb 11, 2018
Jman06:
Is that what you understood from my write up That tramadol you abuse has really messed up your brain!

I work with those making Tram....... If u need some for the pain in ur brain.....talk to a brother.
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by Sagay212: 12:44pm On Feb 11, 2018
I don't see any reason codeine should be banned. It's a cough syrup and not hard drugs. If some useless, daft , cursed youths decide to use it to get high, that's their phucking problem.

What many of them do not know is that most drugs have a long term side effect on the kidney and liver. Even malaria drugs, panadol, paracetamol and a while lot of drugs affects the body in the long run. That's why it is advisable to live a healthy life, eat good food and lots of fruits and exercise regularly. There a people out there who don't use any drugs at all because they live a healthy lifestyle. No alcohol , no junk foods.

Let them continue to drink tramadol and codeine and in like 15 or 20 years times, they'll see the result and blame it on village people.
Re: Effectively Defusing The Time Bomb: A Call For The Ban Of Codeine by krushdripper(m): 1:07pm On Feb 11, 2018
NothingDoMe:
They are still bought over the counter sorry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Another COVID-19 Patient Dies In Borno / Rivers State Has Highest HIV/AIDS Cases In Nigeria / Ways Not To Treat A Fat Guy!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.