Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:26 AM

English Grammar Lesson - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / English Grammar Lesson (22256 Views)

Kpakpa Grammar School 18+ / English Grammar Quiz / English Grammar Lesson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: English Grammar Lesson by Emaimo: 7:02am On Feb 12, 2018
Holywizard:
Thanks.
Most of our graduates doesn't know the rules of concord in English language.

And you think your grammar is correct as a graduate?
@the bolded

4 Likes

Re: English Grammar Lesson by Emmy3(m): 7:06am On Feb 12, 2018
I done even tire for this language sef...
When you thought you've known it like the back of your hand and ready to kick gold, only to be eclipsed by another set of pronouns.
Na wa for this language ooo
Re: English Grammar Lesson by fratermathy(m): 7:08am On Feb 12, 2018
mayorall:

Are you sure of this?...

He's right especially as his article is concerned with English in formal usage.
Re: English Grammar Lesson by Holywizard: 7:09am On Feb 12, 2018
grin
Emaimo:

And you think your grammar is correct as a graduate?
@the bolded
Re: English Grammar Lesson by SweetyMarvel00(m): 7:12am On Feb 12, 2018
You and I
you and me

Bola and I
Bola and me.

which one in each of the two is correct and why? [code][/code]
Re: English Grammar Lesson by mayorall(m): 7:13am On Feb 12, 2018
fratermathy:

He's right especially as his article is concerned with English in formal usage.

I think the grammarian hasn't settled on it yet.

1 Like

Re: English Grammar Lesson by InvertedHammer: 7:13am On Feb 12, 2018
/
Sorry.

But even oyibo people don't put in all these efforts to learn their language. They don't seem to care as much as we do.

\

3 Likes

Re: English Grammar Lesson by Fianze93(m): 7:16am On Feb 12, 2018
specter:

Kindly recommend any sunitsble text book on this subject matter. Another on literary devices and the use of diction will be appreciated. Thanks..

Joy Eyisi's 'Common Errors in the Use of English'

On Literary Device and Diction, if you can find any current 'Exam Focus on Literature in English' written by Benson Oluikpe, it will help.
Re: English Grammar Lesson by Emaimo: 7:18am On Feb 12, 2018
Afolearning:

COMMON MISTAKES IN THE USE OF PRONOUNS

They fought themselves. ❌
They fought each other.

OP, there is an element of ambiguity in the statement above.
From my little knowledge, each other is used when something involves two persons. If more than two persons, then one another is used. In the case of the bolded, the sentence is ambiguous in that we don't know the actual number of people who fought.

4 Likes

Re: English Grammar Lesson by Partnerbiz(f): 7:23am On Feb 12, 2018
chukxie:
Nice one. Could you explain why "She sings better than me" is grammatically wrong while " She sings better than I" is right? Considering 'me' is an objective pronoun that usually comes after the main verb in a sentence, it would make more sense that the first sentence is correct. 'She sings better than I do' is correct, too.

You are correct. Oxford Dico recognises and uses "me" in many instances.
Re: English Grammar Lesson by Stallion93(m): 7:24am On Feb 12, 2018
mayorall:

Are you sure of this?...
just see the way the White woman(English masters) analyzed the problem. Amicably and with rational reasoning, display of high intellect but Our otondo Nigerians wey dey form English boss go dey force teach wetin dem no know.

1 Like

Re: English Grammar Lesson by olabrad: 7:24am On Feb 12, 2018
Afolearning:
ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CASE OF PRONOUNS
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Pronouns are words used instead of nouns, that is, they are used to replace nouns in sentences.

The prominent advantage of pronouns is that it helps prevent unnecessary repetition of nouns in sentences.

On the other hand, CASE of PRONOUNS is the FORMS and FUNCTIONS of pronouns in sentences.

We have the following case of pronouns in English:

SUBJECTIVE CASE : it is used in subject position and often comes before the verb in a sentence, e.g. SHE, HE, IT, YOU, THEY and I.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
OBJECTIVE CASE : it is comes after the verb ,that is, it is the element that receives the action performed by the subject, e.g ME, HER, HIM, THEM, YOU, and US.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
POSSESSIVE CASE: It is used to show possession or ownership, e.g. MINE, OURS, HIS, HERS, THEIRS and ITS.
REFLEXIVE CASE: It is used to mark a reference back to the subject, and it often ends with the suffix 'self or selves'. Here are examples: MYSELF, HIMSELF, YOURSELF/VES, THEMSELVES, HERSELF and ITSELF.
------------------------------------------------------------------
#READ, LEARN, AND SHARE THIS POST, IT DOESN'T COST A THING TO SHARE; JUST CLICK THE SHARE ICON. #THANKS.

Do you have any problem with the use of pronouns in English: feel free to drop your question, rest assured of a resourceful response.

They fought each other. ✔

She sings better than me. ❌
She sings better than I. ✔

One should not behave as if he knows it all. ❌
One should not behave as if one knows it all ✔

The questions are directed to we girls. ❌
The questions are directed to us girls. ✔

She meant Bola and I. ❌
She meant Bola and me. ✔

Everybody love watching American movies. ❌
Everybody loves watching American movies. ✔

To learn more you can always follow me on this platform. You can also visit, like and follow me on Facebook and Instagram on Afolearning English. #THANKS.

Please what's the difference between each other and one another?
Re: English Grammar Lesson by 12submarine(m): 7:29am On Feb 12, 2018
olabrad:

Each other, just two are involved.
One another, more than two are involved.

2 Likes

Re: English Grammar Lesson by olabrad: 7:38am On Feb 12, 2018
12submarine:

Each other, just two are involved.
One another, more than two are involved.

Thank you
Re: English Grammar Lesson by GabrielAganyi(m): 7:47am On Feb 12, 2018
Holywizard:
Thanks.
Most of our graduates don't know the rules of concord in English language.

Where is concord is this matter now

Re: English Grammar Lesson by EdoBoy90(m): 7:52am On Feb 12, 2018
The future is not #English. It is science, technology and Engineering.

The Jews are the most richest people in the world because they major in sciences like Physics, mathematics, Chemistry,Medicine, Biology, Engineering, ICT, Technology etc
Re: English Grammar Lesson by GabrielAganyi(m): 7:53am On Feb 12, 2018
SweetyMarvel00:
You and I
you and me

Bola and I
Bola and me.

which one in each of the two is correct and why? [code][/code]
Both are correct but the usage matters

Bola and I, you and i=subject
Bola and me, you and me= object
Re: English Grammar Lesson by imstillnovice: 7:57am On Feb 12, 2018
timwudz:
Kini English?

ede kede, oro koro...ti iya mi o gbo, ti baba o gbo ton fi tipa tipa komi... OP, ye kanra momi

You are still relating bro.. I noticed how you replaced OP instead of his handle Afolearning... Yeah thats Baddo pronoun grin grin grin grin
Re: English Grammar Lesson by Vernor(m): 7:57am On Feb 12, 2018
Please , enough of this your grammar teach your children your real African language forget this shit hole language. Odabo
Re: English Grammar Lesson by kinzation(m): 8:03am On Feb 12, 2018
clitlicker:

most of our graduates do not...correction for mr rules of concord
person correcting gets corrected... hahahaha
Re: English Grammar Lesson by TeamSimple(m): 8:15am On Feb 12, 2018
Offpoint:
Lol, no matter how wrong the English is... someone will definitely understand what what I'm saying... which is the purpose of communication.
abeg make we lif English alone and gather head bring idea wey go save Nigeria from her doom... nobi big grammar make America great
Infact Americans are worst when it comes to English
Re: English Grammar Lesson by femi4: 8:30am On Feb 12, 2018
chukxie:
Nice one. Could you explain why "She sings better than me" is grammatically wrong while " She sings better than I" is right? Considering 'me' is an objective pronoun that usually comes after the main verb in a sentence, it would make more sense that the first sentence is correct. 'She sings better than I do' is correct, too.
you ve answered the question yourself.

The complete sentence is 'She sings better than I do'

So the correct short form is 'She sings better than I'

I (subject) comes before the verb
Re: English Grammar Lesson by Nobody: 8:31am On Feb 12, 2018
Nathan: You know, me and Peyton broke up.

Haley: Peyton and I.

Nathan: What, she broke up with you, too? I just, I didn't know she was gonna take it this hard. She went off on Brooke at practice. I'm kinda worried about her.

Haley: Well, maybe you should have worried more about her when you were together. I'm sorry, but come on, it's true.

Nathan: No, you don't know the first thing about Peyton and I.

Haley: Me and Peyton.

Nathan: Whatever.
Re: English Grammar Lesson by edumondial: 8:33am On Feb 12, 2018
Afolearning:
Afolearning, pls can i know why " they fought themselves " is wrong? ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CASE OF PRONOUNS

Pronouns are words used instead of nouns, that is, they are used to replace nouns in sentences.

The prominent advantage of pronouns is that it helps prevent unnecessary repetition of nouns in sentences.

On the other hand, CASE of PRONOUNS is the FORMS and FUNCTIONS of pronouns in sentences.

We have the following case of pronouns in English:

SUBJECTIVE CASE : it is used in subject position and often comes before the verb in a sentence, e.g. SHE, HE, IT, YOU, THEY and I.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
OBJECTIVE CASE : it is comes after the verb ,that is, it is the element that receives the action performed by the subject, e.g ME, HER, HIM, THEM, YOU, and US.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
POSSESSIVE CASE: It is used to show possession or ownership, e.g. MINE, OURS, HIS, HERS, THEIRS and ITS.
REFLEXIVE CASE: It is used to mark a reference back to the subject, and it often ends with the suffix 'self or selves'. Here are examples: MYSELF, HIMSELF, YOURSELF/VES, THEMSELVES, HERSELF and ITSELF.
------------------------------------------------------------------
#READ, LEARN, AND SHARE THIS POST, IT DOESN'T COST A THING TO SHARE; JUST CLICK THE SHARE ICON. #THANKS.

Do you have any problem with the use of pronouns in English: feel free to drop your question, rest assured of a resourceful response.

They fought each other. ✔

She sings better than me. ❌
She sings better than I. ✔

One should not behave as if he knows it all. ❌
One should not behave as if one knows it all ✔

The questions are directed to we girls. ❌
The questions are directed to us girls. ✔

She meant Bola and I. ❌
She meant Bola and me. ✔

Everybody love watching American movies. ❌
Everybody loves watching American movies. ✔

To learn more you can always follow me on this platform. You can also visit, like and follow me on Facebook and Instagram on Afolearning English. #THANKS.
Re: English Grammar Lesson by femi4: 8:33am On Feb 12, 2018
olabrad:

You use "each other" when referring to two people and "one another" when referring three or more people
Re: English Grammar Lesson by femi4: 8:34am On Feb 12, 2018
clitlicker:
was 2face right when he sang...
--you and i are meant to be together baby--
yes
Re: English Grammar Lesson by edumondial: 8:35am On Feb 12, 2018
Can i know why" they fought themselves " is wrong
Re: English Grammar Lesson by LordNapoleon: 9:03am On Feb 12, 2018
Fanatique:
This is a brief but concise explanatory inquisition. We should not also Ignore the fact that good English have not taken this country anywhere. Sometimes I see some dullards call a man illiterates Because he can't communicate fluently with English and I shake my head. Watch Indian professors and scientist and witness their poor command of the English language firsthand. Despite this they are still the one producing over 80% of pharmacological products that we use so that we won't die of disease while speaking big English, they are still the most recent country to launch a moon mission, their president is now a... In fact their advancements in tech is beginning to rival that of the western world.
I don't even get the drift, are you trying to encourage us not to speak good English? We are not advancing in technology and we do not speak good English. What are we even good at? The Indians you mentioned speak good English, maybe their accents confuse you.

1 Like

Re: English Grammar Lesson by Offpoint: 9:12am On Feb 12, 2018
TeamSimple:

Infact Americans are worst when it comes to English
you're right bro, I'm active in one of their forum, the English and spellings there is so poor I thought they're Kenyans...

after Indians... na Americans written English poor pass
Re: English Grammar Lesson by Fanatique: 9:37am On Feb 12, 2018
LordNapoleon:
I don't even get the drift, are you trying to encourage us not to speak good English? We are not advancing in technology and we do not speak good English. What are we even good at? The Indians you mentioned speak good English, maybe their accents confuse you.
there are a very good number of Indian intellectuals with very poor command of the English language. I am not saying we should speak bad English,i am just saying it is not priority right now.
Re: English Grammar Lesson by jojothaiv(m): 9:55am On Feb 12, 2018
See how people dey cast on top their comments, so "English Masters" full nairaland like this, Chai I just dey see correction upandan...

grin grin grin
Re: English Grammar Lesson by Jdesilentkiller(m): 9:59am On Feb 12, 2018
Emaimo:

OP, there is an element of ambiguity in the statement above.
From my little knowledge, each other is used when something involves two persons. If more than two persons, then one another is used. In the case of the bolded, the sentence is ambiguous in that we don't know the actual number of people who fought.

You are right my brother... I was going to point it out but felt it wouldn't make any difference since the op is trying to teach us English language

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

List Your Top Five Greatest Books / The Last Temptation / “I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.