Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,176 members, 7,780,217 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:01 AM

Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students (7001 Views)

UAES Still Admitting Students; Accepts Lowest School Fees Of N40,000- Registrar / Which University In Nigeria Accepts 2.2 For A Direct Masters Programme? / Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by blessedvisky(m): 9:49am On Feb 12, 2018
Ayomideen:

Admission into dah school is by luck bro
I think it's coz remedial and Jupeb pay so much money money. Oau also admits A LOT of those who do their predegree and Jupeb at the expense of normal Utme students.
UI has no remedial, Jupeb or predegree program. Admission is strictly through putme, A level and direct entry ( Bsc or Hnd certificate).

1 Like

Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by Angelawhite(m): 9:54am On Feb 12, 2018
blessedvisky:
1) Unilorin religious and indigene bias
2) Northern universities both fed and state are biased against Christian students
3) UNN tribe bias
4) Uniben

Sometimes, we shouldn't write what we think but what we know.

I graduated from UNN and I can tell you UNN is one of the universities in Nigeria that pay attention to federal character principles. In UNN, indegines with 280 score might be denied admission to study medicine whereas people from places like North will be admitted with 230 and this is how it's replicated in all the departments.

I remember, some of my friends had to change their state of origin to North while filling their Jamb form so they can be admitted into medicine.
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by Ayomideen(m): 12:02pm On Feb 12, 2018
Nltaliban:

Uniilorin is bias....

Lol
Yeah they're, no one is disputing the fact
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by Ayomideen(m): 12:02pm On Feb 12, 2018
Nltaliban:

Uniilorin is bias....

Lol
Yeah they're, no one is disputing the fact

Same as 95% of Nigerian Federal Unis
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by Ayomideen(m): 12:03pm On Feb 12, 2018
blessedvisky:

I think it's coz remedial and Jupeb pay so much money money. Oau also admits A LOT of those who do their predegree and Jupeb at the expense of normal Utme students.
UI has no remedial, Jupeb or predegree program. Admission is strictly through putme, A level and direct entry ( Bsc or Hnd certificate).

My thoughts exactly!
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by Ayomideen(m): 12:07pm On Feb 12, 2018
blessedvisky:

Y can't they be like UI? Ui is the best uni in Nigeria and has no catchment area. Ui admits strictly on merit. The catchment area stuff is nonsense. What unis should be bothered about is the quality of students not their origin, name or religious affiliation

Well,naso we see am o ma guy

Although it would be great if all schools were like UI
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by Carlmax(m): 1:08pm On Feb 12, 2018
blessedvisky:
1) Unilorin religious and indigene bias
2) Northern universities both fed and state are biased against Christian students
3) UNN tribe bias
4) Uniben

Uniben is biased towards who? Please people should understand catchment areas and understand this law wasn't made by the Universities.
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by BanevsJoker(m): 3:48pm On Feb 12, 2018
MDsambo:

How many Northerners are studying in southern universities like Unilag, UNN, OAU, UNIZIK etc? I bet none. But come to Northern universities like BUK, ABU, ATBU, KASU, UNIMAID and see how your people are getting admissions.
Because una no dey gree go school. Boko Haramism and Fulani Herdsmenology seem to be more lucrative career paths for you. No be my fault.
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by sbashir10(m): 3:59pm On Feb 12, 2018
Ayomideen:

Lol,well I agree with u to an extent cos I'm also of the opinion dah all Nigerian schools are biased

Buh on your context of ethnicity and Religion, nah!

There's a high chance of more Muslim students in the school due to its geographical location (North Central) and you know these federal universities use catchment area as a criterion for admission and that area is dominated by Muslims
Probably why you think they only favorMuslim students
I know a lot of people of other religious beliefs and ethnicities in the school so it totally isn't about that

Moreover one thing I dislike about the school in terms of admissions is their favoritism of Remedial,JUPEB,etc candidates over UTME

Buh look at it in another light,this past year's admission as a case study,they had over a hundred thousand applicants and could only admit ten thousand,don't forget the favoritism whatever oo

Admission into dah school is by luck bro
Mehn, i really tire for people, please anyone can come and make research about religion and admission in ABU, infact no church in zaria as whole can be compared with any of the two churches in ABU samaru, and likewise in kongo campus.

Its irritates when people just come online to type rubbish hiding behind keyboard.

We have igbos and alot of yoruba in my level and department in abu, and lest i am from kwara state ( north) 5 of us was admitted for bsc international studies, 3 Muslims and 2 Christians from. Omu aran and offa respectively.

2 Likes

Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by Nobody: 4:05pm On Feb 12, 2018
MDsambo:

How many Northerners are studying in southern universities like Unilag, UNN, OAU, UNIZIK etc? I bet none. But come to Northern universities like BUK, ABU, ATBU, KASU, UNIMAID and see how your people are getting admissions.
man f.u ck you and your biased pint sized brain ...how can you make such a fallacy and even have the audacity to say none ? So my coursemates zhalifa from adamawa and yachi from Nasarawa are ghosts ? Don't be so insipid and unfortunate in life bloody bigot
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by Nobody: 4:30pm On Feb 12, 2018
hardwerk:
man f.u ck you and your biased pint sized brain ...how can you make such a fallacy and even have the audacity to say none ? So my coursemates zhalifa from adamawa and yachi from Nasarawa are ghosts ? Don't be so insipid and unfortunate in life bloody bigot
bro,easy nah
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by Ayomideen(m): 6:26pm On Feb 12, 2018
sbashir10:

Mehn, i really tire for people, please anyone can come and make research about religion and admission in ABU, infact no church in zaria as whole can be compared with any of the two churches in ABU samaru, and likewise in kongo campus.

Its irritates when people just come online to type rubbish hiding behind keyboard.

We have igbos and alot of yoruba in my level and department in abu, and lest i am from kwara state ( north) 5 of us was admitted for bsc international studies, 3 Muslims and 2 Christians from. Omu aran and offa respectively.

Bro azzin ehn me sef tire

Igbos and people of other ethnic groups plenty here for Unilorin sef
And although I'm from kwara,Ajase-Ipo to be precise,It was clearly stated on my portal dah I was admitted on merit, so it really isn't about being an indigene or catchment ish or ethnicity n religious beliefs like people make it seem
This my school is a really misunderstood one
Buh one thing I noticed is once one is denied admission by a school,in most cases,the person just has this negative perception of the school and is quick to talk bad about it

Buh well,everyone is entitled to their opinions
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by sbashir10(m): 6:42pm On Feb 12, 2018
Ayomideen:

Bro azzin ehn me sef tire

Igbos and people of other ethnic groups plenty here for Unilorin sef
And although I'm from kwara,Ajase-Ipo to be precise,It was clearly stated on my portal dah I was admitted on merit, so it really isn't about being an indigene or catchment ish or ethnicity n religious beliefs like people make it seem
This my school is a really misunderstood one
Buh one thing I noticed is once one is denied admission by a school,in most cases,the person just has this negative perception of the school and is quick to talk bad about it

Buh well,everyone is entitled to their opinions
Exactly bro, of the 5 people from kwara, 2 are first class students now in final year.
All of us were admitted via jamb, before abu list even came out, i was surprised when i learnt I was the third with 244, and the first two were 280 and 277.

ABU has really suffered from online trolls

2 Likes

Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by encryptjay(m): 8:19pm On Feb 12, 2018
sbashir10:

Exactly bro, of the 5 people from kwara, 2 are first class students now in final year.
All of us were admitted via jamb, before abu list even came out, i was surprised when i learnt I was the third with 244, and the first two were 280 and 277.

Leave all these tribal bigots that will sit down in far east to be pouring fallacies. That's how one said 90 percent of profs in ABU studied Arabic grin
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by Nobody: 8:37pm On Feb 12, 2018
I believe thread is FP worthy,lalasticlalamynd44,pls do the needful
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by Ayomideen(m): 12:13am On Feb 13, 2018
sbashir10:

Oh wow
Keep it up man

I was also admitted by jamb before Unilorin's portal admission was open

Unilorin sef don suffer from online trolls
More than ABU sef

May God help us all ni
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by hinohsend: 12:38pm On Feb 13, 2018
gbosaa:

I disagree with your no 3. UNN doesn’t discriminate against ethnicity or state of origin. The reverse is the case. Most times, some states and educationally less developed areas do not fill their allocated spaces because they either scored very poorly or didn’t apply at all. Cut off point for indegenes for medicine could be 300 but that for ‘educationally disadvantaged areas’ could be 260 but you wouldn’t see anyone within that range while there would be lots of people from the south east not getting admitted because they scored around 295.

UNN does, the cutoff for Enugu and other SE states's indigenes are most times lower than the merit cutoff.
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by Nobody: 3:57pm On Feb 13, 2018
hinohsend:

UNN does, the cutoff for Enugu and other SE states's indigenes are most times lower than the merit cutoff.

That is not true. There are cut off for catchment area, educationally disadvantaged areas and merit.

Certain percentage is allocated for catchment area of which Enugu state indegenes are privileged just like other places but the number is low and highly competitive.

That doesn’t affect the places allocated for educationally less developed states.
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by QwiinGee(f): 7:04pm On Feb 13, 2018
HORLADSTAR:
UNIBEN,...Biased was even an understatement

Uniben abi,Mtcheew
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by iamhilary: 7:06pm On Feb 13, 2018
All schools are biased but if I wonna start picking, Uniben is no 1, the school is really biased, passed d cutoff mark last 2 years, I'm even from Edo state, wasn't given admission still. Unilion, Unilag, I commot cap

1 Like

Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by hinohsend: 8:44pm On Feb 13, 2018
gbosaa:

That is not true. There are cut off for catchment area, educationally disadvantaged areas and merit.

Certain percentage is allocated for catchment area of which Enugu state indegenes are privileged just like other places but the number is low and highly competitive.

That doesn’t affect the places allocated for educationally less developed states.

I understand students from ELDSs have lower cutoff marks- though I think that should be stopped-.

But UNN also reduces cutoff for catchment areas, I believe that is bias, OAU, Unilag and majority of Nigerian Universities do the same, but I think UI and a few others do not.
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by EternalTruth: 12:07am On Feb 14, 2018
QwiinGee:

Uniben abi,Mtcheew
olodo. Better study hard next time.

1 Like

Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by daneni1(m): 2:15am On Feb 14, 2018
MDsambo:

Don't say such when u have no evidence to back it up
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by Nobody: 12:27am On Feb 15, 2018
blessedvisky:

Y can't they be like UI? Ui is the best uni in Nigeria and has no catchment area. Ui admits strictly on merit. The catchment area stuff is nonsense. What unis should be bothered about is the quality of students not their origin, name or religious affiliation
all ELDS are UI catchment area oooo
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by QwiinGee(f): 7:57pm On Feb 17, 2018
EternalTruth:
olodo. Better study hard next time.

You are the olodo...fool! M already a Uniben student.
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by Nobody: 9:02pm On Feb 17, 2018
Futurecrown:
All Nigeria Universities are biased
That is not true
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by samsononyilo(m): 9:45pm On Feb 17, 2018
onuhabel1:
thats the truth.
if u don't have connections don't choose top notch courses there. the likes of MBBS, LL.B, B. PHARM, ETC

Very through, I applied for psychology with a jamb score of 230 but uni jos gave me adult education...
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by Bifrost: 10:05pm On Feb 17, 2018
hinohsend:

I understand students from ELDSs have lower cutoff marks- though I think that should be stopped-.

But UNN also reduces cutoff for catchment areas, I believe that is bias, OAU, Unilag and majority of Nigerian Universities do the same, but I think UI and a few others do not.

Cut off marks of Enugu, Anambra and Imo indigenes are among the Highest! In that order. Ebonyi and all Northern states are regarded as ELD areas. Although, like every public unis, there are staff quotas.
Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by Nobody: 12:39am On Feb 18, 2018
HORLADSTAR:
UNIBEN,...Biased was even an understatement
You and those "liking and sharing" your post are living in self denial. The first rule to emancipation, is self emancipation. Did you pass and UNIBEN didn't admit you? Instead of you to be challenged 'cause you weren't admitted which was due to your inability to pass well, you're busy saying the school is bias.

1 Like

Re: Which University Is The Most Biased When Admitting Students by EternalTruth: 2:24am On Feb 18, 2018
QwiinGee:

You are the olodo...fool! M already a Uniben student.
uniben student for ur dreams abi? What happened in the auditorium on Friday?
Tell me.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EDF Pulse Africa Awards For Nigerian Start-ups(win Up To €30,000 In Prizes) / Incredible: See Sculpture That You Can't Differentiate From Real Human. / Futminna Postgraduate Experience (seeking Info)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.