Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,390 members, 7,808,377 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:09 AM

Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions (50604 Views)

Sanwo-Olu Floats Autonomous Financing Channel For Lagos Tertiary Schools / Kano Makes NIN Mandatory For Students In Government Schools / Cohabiting: The Silent Killer Of Students In Tertiary Institutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by LaudableXX: 11:35am On Feb 12, 2018
asha80:
problem with this comparison is yoruba isn't the language of instruction in those schools
Nobody said it was. I used Germany and Russia as examples, to draw an analogy between those places and Lagos. Please go back and read my post without prejudice, and clearer understanding.

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by chloride6: 11:35am On Feb 12, 2018
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Part 1 done

grin grin grin grin grin

Ladipo PArt 2

7 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by nkwuocha: 11:36am On Feb 12, 2018
duni04:

See this liar!
Oga they don't speak Arabic in Afghanistan. Tell another lie pls

Weda or not dey speak or they don't, Arabic language serves as a tool the Israeli Army use in decimating rag heads in the Middle East.
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 11:37am On Feb 12, 2018
marvin904:

look at this fool that doesn't even know hes father..
i cant believe your so pained by what i said..
well what do i expect someone that a watery sperm produced.. grin grin
i so pity for your mom she rejoiced thinking she brought a human being to this world..
not knowing your just an biscuit empty carton tongue tongue
dumb nincompoop! your b*tch of a mother would
have rid the cyberspace of a nuisance with just #20 condom ! ....doomed dumbskull!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Stingman: 11:38am On Feb 12, 2018
LaudableXX:

Nobody said it was. I used Germany and Russia as examples, to draw an analogy between those places and Lagos. Please go back and read my post without prejudice, and clearer understanding.

Stop this rubbish. For this to work...the Yorubas must have their own country...Just like the Germans and Russians. But you are scared stiff to be own your own...You cowardly want to eat your cake and have it...
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by LaudableXX: 11:39am On Feb 12, 2018
Stingman:
You support this but you would not support disintegration so you could be like Germany and Russia? This is why Europeans are wiser than crazy Africans...All Germans speak german...Doing this will mean that the children will be put under pressure to study another language while they are in their presumed country?

How does this make sense?
Children do not have to be put under any pressure. Those who cannot learn Yoruba still have a choice and can attend federal institutions within the same Lagos state, where this law is not in force.

Not only that, there are 34 or 35 other states in this country, that would still admit you as a student, without demanding Yoruba as a prerequisite for admission. Does that make any sense?

Finally, there are no guarantees that disintegration would automatically turn this nation or its component parts into a developed country like Germany. Sudan disintegrated, but where is it today?

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Stingman: 11:41am On Feb 12, 2018
LaudableXX:

Children do not have to be put under any pressure. Those who cannot learn Yoruba still have a choice and can attend to federal institutions within the same Lagos state, where this law is not in force.

Not only that, there are 34 or 35 other states in this country, that would still admit you as a student, without demanding Yoruba as a prerequisite for admission. Does that make any sense?

It is absolutey rubbish...Do they also need to speak Yorubas to pay tax?

Do you have the law in Osun state?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by asha80(m): 11:43am On Feb 12, 2018
Stingman:

It will work as Igbos who are not interested in the language will not go to those schools...How many northerners or Ijaws want to go to LASU?
i said so because from my experience most igbos born and brought up in lagos can speak yoruba

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Kassidy90(m): 11:43am On Feb 12, 2018
Its ridiculous, am a Yoruba man but not in support of such move, what if Eastern n Northern States enact same law...it means if u can't speak Igbo u can't study in East same with North
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by asha80(m): 11:44am On Feb 12, 2018
LaudableXX:

well the analogy didnt fit.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 11:44am On Feb 12, 2018
Vado:

By
Wumi Akinbode February 12, 2018

All candidates seeking admission into all tertiary institutions in Lagos State must henceforth possess credit in Yoruba Language, the state Yoruba Language Preservation and Preservation Law has said.

The law, which became effective last Thursday, would now make compulsory for all primary and secondary schools – private or public – in the state to include teaching of Yoruba Language as a core subject at all levels.

The state Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, had formally signed a bill into law “to provide for the preservation and promotion of the use of Yoruba Language and for connected purposes,” thereby making it the first state to enact law seeking to preserve and promote its indigenous language.

He signed the law alongside the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Adeniji Kazeem, Commissioner for Energy and Mineral Resources, Mr. Olawale Oluwo, his Information and Strategy counterpart, Mr. Kehinde Bamigbetan and the Commissioner for Finance, Mr. Akinyemi Ashade, among others.

He equally signed six other bills into laws: the Amended Land Use Charge bill, School of Nursing bill, Cooperative College bill, Cancer Research Institute bill, Amended Customary Court bill and the State Electric Power Reform Law on the same day.

However, the Yoruba Language Preservation and Promotion law provides that all the laws in the state “will be translated into Yoruba Language. Moreso, all state-owned tertiary institutions are to incorporate the use of Yoruba Language in the General Studies (GNS) courses.

“The use of Yoruba language shall be an acceptable means of communication between individuals, establishment, corporate entities and government in the state if so desired by the concerned. It shall not be an offence for a person to speak Yoruba language by the state government,” the law reads in part.

Specifically, the law stated that any school in Lagos State that “fails to comply with the provisions of Section 2 commits an offence and is liable on first violation to issuance of warning and on subsequent violation be closed down and also pay a fine of N500,000.”

After the governor approved the legislation, Bamigbetan explained the socio-cultural value of the Yoruba Language Preservation and Promotion Law, 2018, which according to him, is the first of its kind in Nigeria.

With the new law, Bamigbetan said Yoruba language “has become mandatory for all candidates seeking admission into our tertiary institutions. Yoruba will now become a major requirement to engage in normal business communication in Lagos State.

“This is a clear and conscious commitment to the position which Lagos State prides Yoruba language as the cultural vehicle for us to be able to articulate our position and it also shows that Lagos has further recognised the importance of language as a vehicle for development.”

He said anyone seeking admission into the Lagos State University, Lagos State Polytechnic, Michael Otedola College of Primary Education, Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education, Lagos State School of Nursing and Lagos State College of Health Technology, among others must have credit in Yoruba language.

https://www.today.ng/news/nigeria/76940/yoruba-mandatory-admission-tertiary-institutions-lagos-state-govt?
grin grin grin

Wen will these Yoruba land grabbers receive enough sense to reason properly. Whatever they do, Every single citizen of Nigeria will gain admission into any institution of their choice without any form of restrictions.

Self acclaimed sophisticated people pls grow up, All these trash will never work.
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by LaudableXX: 11:45am On Feb 12, 2018
Stingman:

It is absolutey rubbish...Do they also need to speak Yorubas to pay tax?
It is not rubbish. Free your mind. There are federal institutions located within Lagos that do not require you to pass Yoruba in order to gain admission into their schools. Paying tax has nothing to do with language. It is mandatory for all citizens to pay tax, as well as foreigners. If you lived in France, Germany, Japan, Spain etc., you would pay tax as a foreigner working in any of those countries, even if you were not proficient in any of their languages.

Last word: I am not from Osun state. Neither do I live there. But you are free to attend any institution you like in that state, I guess. They haven't made Yoruba language compulsory for admission in their state-owned institutions have they?

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by asha80(m): 11:45am On Feb 12, 2018
Adebowale89:

list of the corporate organization you visited in ekiti that made you doubt it?
not corporate organization though but civil service from my own experience.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by LaudableXX: 11:46am On Feb 12, 2018
asha80:
well the analogy didnt fit.
Only in your own eyes....

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by vioment: 11:46am On Feb 12, 2018
LaudableXX:

It is not foolishness. You can still study in 34 other States of the federation if you do not like Lagos State's laws.

Lagos or any other state does not have a right to enforce this kinds of laws. The FG will not allow it. I am a lagos indigene, and I don't want to learn yoruba because it is not a national language. I learn other languages because it is fun for me and not by force. The FG will soon remind the state of that freedom of navigation and choice. In the end this is just blowing smoke. advice any igbo or others not to worry about this backward /hindrance law. Na until people begin fight for streets, then them go change am. Stupid and backward country, everyday a new low.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by zoedew: 11:46am On Feb 12, 2018
texazzpete:
What a backward and retrogressive law.
If you want to 'preserve the Yoruba language', why not restrict this only to Yoruba people? Why is this not optional?

This is hostile to others, and disregards the fact that we have a national language in English to eliminate issues such as this. Essentially, this law makes it legal to go to a meeting in the Civil service and have the entire meeting conducted in yoruba language, to the exclusion of any present non-yoruba speaker.

Heck, you can even no use this law to hold lectures in LASU in 100% Yoruba.

Imagine if every tribe copies this and you then need to have a credit in Igbo language to even apply to Imsu angry

Disgraceful that there are some people here supporting this shite.

....”if so desired by the concerned”
You go to Quebec and insist on conducting business in English Language just because not all of Canada speak French and we’ll see how far that takes you! The right to self-determination includes the right to preserve your cultural and linguistic identity. Lagos having become a State where all are welcome to aspire it is imperative to ensure that the Yoruba culture and language are well preserved. That is only fair!

9 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Odimson69: 11:47am On Feb 12, 2018
The 2019 campaign must now be in only Yoruba language and the meeting of political parties no more in English.Apc is finished
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by zoedew: 11:48am On Feb 12, 2018
Kassidy90:
Its ridiculous, am a Yoruba man but not in support of such move, what if Eastern n Northern States enact same law...it means if u can't speak Igbo u can't study in East same with North

So be it! #BroadenYourHorizon
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Stingman: 11:48am On Feb 12, 2018
LaudableXX:

It is not rubbish. Free your mind. There are federal institutions located within Lagos that do not require you to pass Yoruba in order to gain admission into their schools. Paying tax has nothing to do with language. It is mandatory for all citizens to pay tax, as well as foreigners. If you lived in France, Germany, Japan, Spain etc., you would pay tax as a foreigner working in any of those countries, even if you were not proficient in any of their languages.

You need to enlarge your thought process ogbeni...France, Germany, Japan, Spain are countries...That's why we need Biafra and you Odua nation. It is then you can pass that kind of Law. But you will never support Odua state...You cowardly want to eat you cake and still have it.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by pricemond1: 11:48am On Feb 12, 2018
[quote author=texazzpete post=64995451]What a backward and retrogressive law.
If you want to 'preserve the Yoruba language', why not restrict this only to Yoruba people? Why is this not optional?

This is hostile to others, and disregards the fact that we have a national language in English to eliminate issues such as this. Essentially, this law makes it legal to go to a meeting in the Civil service and have the entire meeting conducted in yoruba language, to the exclusion of any present non-yoruba speaker.

Heck, you can even no use this law to hold lectures in LASU in 100% Yoruba.

Imagine if every tribe copies this and you then need to have a credit in Igbo language to even apply to Imsu angry

Disgraceful that there are some people here supporting this shite.

Am sure if they check ssce result u will have f9 in local language
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 11:48am On Feb 12, 2018
LaudableXX:

Stop wasting ur time Mr land grabber. This Kind of useless law will never ever see the light of the day. gringringrin.

Everyone in Nigeria will get admitted into any university of their choice without restrictions. We are waiting for the next admission so that u will use how useless n baseless this issue will turn out to be. It won't even be discussed anywhere.

Sophisticated moves grin.
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by LaudableXX: 11:50am On Feb 12, 2018
vioment:
Lagos or any other state does not have a right to enforce this kinds of laws. The FG will not allow it. I am a lagos indigene, and I don't want to learn yoruba because it is not a national language. I learn other languages because it is fun for me and not by force. The FG will soon remind the state of that freedom of navigation and choice. In the end this is just blowing smoke. advice any igbo or others not to worry about this backward /hindrance law. Na until people begin fight for streets, then them go change am. Stupid and backward country, everyday a new low.
Oga, go back and read the constitution. Lagos state house of assembly has the right to make laws pertaining to educational institutions established and run by the state. If you do not like this law, go to a federal institution. Chikena!

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by asha80(m): 11:51am On Feb 12, 2018
zoedew:

You go to Quebec and insist on conducting business in English Language just because not all of Canada speak French and we’ll see how far that takes you! The right to self-determination includes the right to preserve your cultural and linguistic identity. Lagos having become a State where all are welcome to aspire it is imperative to ensure that the Yoruba culture and language are well preserved. That is only fair!
not sure you can compare the federalism practiced in canada to the joke we are practicing here

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 11:52am On Feb 12, 2018
zoedew:

Yoruba can only enact such a law wen they form a country. As long as they are still within Nigeria, this law is very dead long before it will arrive. During the next admissions, No one will even talk about this and besides we all know Lagos is not yoruba land.
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by ycat: 11:53am On Feb 12, 2018
Once they are on Lagos soil, they must obey the law or pay hefty fines, and be given 3 days to comply or face another fine like every 3 days until they meet the requirements. Any institution that is cited for noncompliance should be closed down. Lagos has the laws of the land the Fg can't override. Nigerians need to start following laws to show we are at least on a par with zoo, because even zoos of the world have rules.
Mynd44:
Tetiary institutions in Lagos

This is vague. Does the law mean all tetiary institutions in Lagos which includes Yabatech and UNILAG and other private institutions or Lagos state owned ones only?

Can this law be held in federal secondary schools like Kings and Queens college?

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by LaudableXX: 11:53am On Feb 12, 2018
PrecisionFx:
Stop wasting ur time Mr land grabber. This Kind of useless law will never ever see the light of the day. gringringrin.

Everyone in Nigeria will get admitted into any university of their choice without restrictions. We are waiting for the next admission so that u will use how useless n baseless this issue will turn out to be. It won't even be discussed anywhere.

Sophisticated moves grin.
Who is a land grabber? Are you referring to yourself? It is you and your people that have such tendencies, or have you forgotten?

As for the law seeing the light of day, please apply for admission into a tertiary institution owned by Lagos state this year, and see if they do not demand for your credit pass in Yoruba language before granting you entry.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 11:53am On Feb 12, 2018
LaudableXX:

Oga, go back and read the constitution. Lagos state house of assembly has the right to make laws pertaining to educational institutions established and run by the state. If you do not like this law, go to a federal institution. Chikena!

We have a federal ministry for education, their laws on this case surperceeds whatever the land grabbing Yoruba tribe enacts in their state assembly.
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Adebowale89(m): 11:53am On Feb 12, 2018
asha80:
not corporate organization though but civil service from my own experience.

I'm talking about corporate organization. of course in civil service immediate language is crucial
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by nnatom: 11:54am On Feb 12, 2018
sholaball:

Which Yoruba man wan go yeast go study. Do u guys have schools there sef. Yeye dey tlk

my brother this ur response is d definition of stupidity.Am sorry for u pple.in a university where pple from other state can chose as there choice of school.well it's all good, very soon this school will be filled with only one tribe and how is dat a school and u are there saying things.well i wish u pple well cos even presently must Yoruba students in south west schools can't even speak clear peagon english not to talk of clear english.anyway,I hope after their higher institutions they will employed them in state ministries and state house or bishop touts.
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by tunjijones(m): 11:56am On Feb 12, 2018
Originalsly:
Preserving the language begins at home. Losing the language begins at home. If you don't insist on your language being the only one spoken in the home you can't expect it to be preserved. Too many of us have our kids watch cartoons..... watch American movies 'so we can learn to speak like Americans'.... do we realize we are killing our own language?
@ topic...... Lagos is not a country...it is a State.... the national language can be mandatory in schools. ....any other language ...optional. If this stands...then it is the beginning of going down a slippery slope....various states doing the same...then different communities within each state making their local dialect mandatory.... all because of this dumb short sighted policy.

Ur view anyway. I don't buy your sch of tot. If what Lagos state did is illegal I think the federal govt wld do something abt it.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 11:57am On Feb 12, 2018
LaudableXX:

Who is a land grabber? Are you referring to yourself? It is you and your people that have such tendencies, or have you forgotten?

As for the law seeing the light of day, please apply for admission into a tertiary institution owned by Lagos state this year, and see if they do not demand for your credit pass in Yoruba language before granting you entry.

Mr Land grabber it is not public knowledge that Lagos is not Yoruba land.

The law is dead long before it will attempt to arrive. Come October, U will know how stupidd the law is.

READ MY LIPS - U CAN ONLY SAY THIS BECAUSE U DONT EVEN KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT FEDERAL LAWS. SOON UR EYES WILL CLEAR.
Re: Yoruba Mandatory For Admission In Lagos Tertiary Institutions by WOCKHARDI(m): 11:57am On Feb 12, 2018
Ohhh! I am liking this.
FIRST PRACTICAL STEP TOWARDS RESTRUCTURING.
Oya every ethnic nationality over to you.

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

‘we Owe Allegiance To Eiye Confraternity’ - Lagos Secondary School Students / Ever Had A Classmate That Cheated Like This? (Photo) / UNILAG Female Hostel Roof Leaks As Heavy Rain Water Fills The Rooms (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.