Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,400 members, 7,781,156 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:58 AM

Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? (9437 Views)

Why Did God Create The Tree Of Good and evil If He Didn't Want Man To Sin / Christians:What Fruit Did Adam And Eve Eat Inside The Garden Of Eden? / The True Sin In The Garden Of Eden: Eve Slept With Satan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by alexj(m): 12:24pm On Mar 06, 2007
Somebody should please tell me why God planted that tree at the middle of the garden.

Because I really want to know may be God did it purposefully or not.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by TV01(m): 2:27pm On Mar 06, 2007
Have you thought about asking God yourself grin?
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by goodguy(m): 3:38pm On Mar 06, 2007
alexj:

Somebody should please tell me why God planted that tree @ the middle of the garden.
because i really want to know may be God did it purposefully or not

This is a very serious issue, as I have always asked this same question since childhood, but never got any answers.

This very issue makes me somewhat skeptical about the attributes we humans have always attributed to God, that is, Omnipresence, Omniscience, Omnipotence, and Omnibenevolence.

Actually, this is the way I see it:

Since God is Omnipresent, He must have been present at that very spot where Adam and Eve ate the fruit. So why didn't He stop them? (Afterall, He's omnipotent).

And since God knew that Adam and Eve would eat the fruit (He's Omniscient), why did He plant the tree there in the first place, if He did not want them to eat out of it?

And let's assume now that He was truly present there, He knew they would eat the fruit, and He had the power to stop them, why did He allow them to go ahead? - Did I hear someone say freewill?

Good. If truly they ate the fruit out of their "freewill", God had every power to have stopped them, and that would have saved the world from all manners of evil we see today, since it is believed that it was through this act of Adam and Eve that sin entered the world.

But since He did not stop them, does that mean He purposely left them, even though He was present there, knew beforehand that they would eat the forbidden fruit, and also had the power to stop them? If that is the case, why then punish and curse them for what He allowed to happen? (Looking at it from a rational point of view, He actually allowed it). Why on earth will an Omnibenevolent God punish anyone and send them to hellfire for doing something bad, supposedly done out of the "freewill" He gave them (which they didn't even ask for), knowing fully well that they will misuse it eventually?

Is anyone following me at all? Yes, I know and agree that I am confused in this case, and I don't need anyone to iterate that to me here.

I hope someone will provide credible answers.

Shalom.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by sharetroll(m): 4:09pm On Mar 06, 2007
goodguy:

This is a very serious issue, as I have always asked this same question since childhood, but never got any answers.

This very issue makes me somewhat skeptical about the attributes we humans have always attributed to God, that is, Omnipresence, Omniscience, Omnipotence, and Omnibenevolence.

Actually, this is the way I see it:

Since God is Omnipresent, He must have been present at that very spot where Adam and Eve ate the fruit. So why didn't He stop them? (Afterall, He's omnipotent).

And since God knew that Adam and Eve would eat the fruit (He's Omniscient), why did He plant the tree there in the first place, if He did not want them to eat out of it?

And let's assume now that He was truly present there, He knew they would eat the fruit, and He had the power to stop them, why did He allow them to go ahead? - Did I hear someone say freewill?

Good. If truly they ate the fruit out of their "freewill", God had every power to have stopped them, and that would have saved the world from all manners of evil we see today, since it is believed that it was through this act of Adam and Eve that sin entered the world.

But since He did not stop them, does that mean He purposely left them, even though He was present there, knew beforehand that they would eat the forbidden fruit, and also had the power to stop them? If that is the case, why then punish and curse them for what He allowed to happen? (Looking at it from a rational point of view, He actually allowed it). Why on earth will an Omnibenevolent God punish anyone and send them to hellfire for doing something bad, supposedly done out of the "freewill" He gave them (which they didn't even ask for), knowing fully well that they will misuse it eventually?

Is anyone following me at all? Yes, I know and agree that I am confused in this case, and I don't need anyone to iterate that to me here.

I hope someone will provide credible answers.

Shalom.

If God had stopped Eve from eating the fruit, than mankind would not have had a free will. . . .

Despite the fact that man has fallen to temptation and sin, there have been many believers who have served God faithfully and have earned His trust and respect. America, as a nation, is blessed b/c of the faithfullness and dedication of Christians who refused to give in to temptation, but rather lived according to the will of God and created a land that He could bless and prosper. . . . .

God created us for the purpose of serving him and being obedient for our own good. Just b/c many have turned away from Him and brought great suffering and pain to large numbers of people, doesn't mean that there are no righteous souls who also bring prosperity and happiness because of their positive and Godly behavior, It works both ways, and this is as God knew it would be. . . .
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Backslider(m): 4:10pm On Mar 06, 2007
Who are you To question God

God Will ask you How you spent your Time be ready to answer
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by goodguy(m): 4:47pm On Mar 06, 2007
sharetroll:

If God had stopped Eve from eating the fruit, than mankind would not have had a free will. . . .

Which is better? A hard life with freewill plus eternal punishment for misusing the freewill or a blissful life without freewill?

If God had stopped Eve from eating the fruit, then there will be no sin, suffering and evil in the world.

Thanks for your attempt, but I'm sorry, you didn't answer the question.

P. S. On this issue of freewill, nferyn made a post (Falsification on logical grounds) concerning that, and that's also how I see it.

Clarification seriously needed.

Shalom.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by zebra(m): 7:12pm On Mar 06, 2007
alexj:

Somebody should please tell me why God planted that tree @ the middle of the garden.
because i really want to know may be God did it purposefully or not

i have asked that same question, but all the answers i get from some so-called christians is that God just allowed it to happen.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by sharetroll(m): 7:14pm On Mar 06, 2007
goodguy:

Which is better? A hard life with freewill plus eternal punishment for misusing the freewill or a blissful life without freewill?
If God had stopped Eve from eating the fruit, then there will be no sin, suffering and evil in the world.

Thanks for your attempt, but I'm sorry, you didn't answer the question.

P. S. On this issue of freewill, nferyn made a post (Falsification on logical grounds) concerning that, and that's also how I see it.

Clarification seriously needed.

Shalom.

So which is better to you? To remain ignorant for eternity or be punished for choosing wrong w/ your free will?
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Ndipe(m): 10:00pm On Mar 06, 2007
Who are we to question the motives of the Almighty God?
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by goodguy(m): 10:11pm On Mar 06, 2007
sharetroll:

So which is better to you? To remain ignorant for eternity

Perhaps, this world would have been a much more better place for mankind, if were ignorant of good and evil.  That way, we wouldn't even know if we are ignorant or not, and no one would be punished for doing "bad" because he has no knowledge of what is called "bad" or "evil" in the first place.  This, I believe, is what God actually intended for his creations initially.  But happened along the line?  Why didn't everything go on as planned?  Could it be that there was something God did not have power over?  (Before anyone crucifies me for this, please note that I am just wondering).

Now this leads me to another mind-boggling question:  Why didn't God want man to have the knowledge of good and evil?  (Could it be due to the reason I highlighted above?)  Also, since He wanted so bad, to keep man from having such knowledge, why make available to man something so tempting, that would make man know that, which he never wanted man to know at all?  And since God knew the devil would come tempting, why didn't He stop him?

sharetroll:

or be punished for choosing wrong w/ your free will?

This is actually what we are all made to believe is going to happen after we pass away.  But then, this is so so unseeming of an Omnibenevolent God.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by goodguy(m): 10:22pm On Mar 06, 2007
Backslider:

Who are you To question God

Ndipe:

Who are we to question the motives of the Almighty God?

Could this be another way of saying "I don't know" ??  I would have really appreciated it if you were more direct in your responses.

Anyway, I believe if God never wanted man to seek/find answers to mind-boggling questions concerning Him (or in your own words, "question Him/His motives"wink, He would have simply prevented such thoughts from coming to our minds from the onset.  That isn't difficult for Him to do, I believe. wink
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by debosky(m): 10:28pm On Mar 06, 2007
In my opinion, God would've eventually allowed them to eat from the tree, they were just impatient and didnt wait for God's time/instruction

secondly, God's omniscient and omnipotent nature doesn't mean he would coerce human beings to obey his will, He gave us free will in order that we would choose and love him and serve him, not because we were forced, but because of love.

thats the understanding I have, plus I believe human beings were part of God's plan to deal with the issue of the devil once and for all, that sounds a little unfair, but thats what I think, no firm biblical evidence i'm afraid, thats what I think.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Backslider(m): 6:38am On Mar 07, 2007
@sharetroll

Who has decieved you to beleiving that God did not give us FREEWILL this is another lie coming from the Pit of Hell. We have been given free will Even now Righteousness or Sin life or Death GOD OR THE SERPENT .

Dont be Decieved by Lucifer The old dragon as he decieved man in the Garden of Eden. Repent and Flee sin
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Backslider(m): 6:50am On Mar 07, 2007
@goodguy

The Satanic teaching that the Lord knew that we would eat the fruit is Leading to hell many people today. God DID not know but he made his mind that if we mess up like we did he has a remedy for all of us.

he had set up this since the foundation of the world. Did God know that satan will sin against him ?

GOD HAD FAITH IN US BUT WE FAILED HIM

GO AND READ JOB YOU WILL SEE GOD'S ABSOLUTE FAITH IS MAN. Where he told Lucifer has he considered his servant Job?

Can God say that about you today?

Was God right or wrong about Job ?

David sinned against God but anytime he was found he repented and forsook those sins God Trusted David so much that he knew david never played with God but Saul was given the same chance and even better Chance but he never forsook the sin and repent genuinely.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by dblock(m): 7:32am On Mar 07, 2007
I believe the tree was planted, so that we could have a choice concerning what we wished to know. Wether we wished to know the truth about good and evil was dependant on the consumption of the fruit. God didn't create us as robots, that had no choice and were programmed to know what he wanted us to know, instead Adam and Eve were created as good people but were given the choice to eat or not to eat the fruit, that would in turn give them the Knowledge(about good and evil) that they may haved seeked, if they chose to consume the fruit.

I don't thin the tree was created as a trap, that would lead to what we are experiencing today, but rather as a way, to make us aware of the other side of things(Evil), if we chose(well od course we didn't choos, Adam and Eve did undecided)

But why would God eave the faith of theMankind on the shoulders of two people. why would he let them decide for you and me, what if I don't want knowledge, what if i am not inerested in the other side of things undecided. But i am not angry, cos God knows it all, ad there must be a logical reason
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Ndipe(m): 7:42am On Mar 07, 2007
Well, lets put it this way, God still provided a way of Redemption to us, through the Death of Jesus Christ on the Cross. So, we, who were once estranged from Him, have now been reconciled to Him, because of Jesus Christ. So, my advice, lets look at the bright spot, pray for Humility and Thank God for His Grace of Salvation, Amen.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Backslider(m): 7:44am On Mar 07, 2007
@ Dblock

God did not put it any 2 people this is Accusation against God. He went and Die for you and me so that we could be holy and have the power over sin there is another man that came to the World to save us and Change all things this man was the Second Adam.

your soul will die in hell fire if you toil with the truth Repent of this thought. man will be hunted by the lion satan but we have Jesus to free us from sin and the power over the OLD DRAGON SATAN
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by dblock(m): 7:46am On Mar 07, 2007
I am only speaking from what I read from the Bible. I didn't make anything up and i am not accusing God, just wondering.

Adam and Eve ate the fruit, i didn't eat nothing (God forgive me)
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Backslider(m): 7:48am On Mar 07, 2007
@Ndipe

God Bless you. But God wants us to be freed from the Command structure of sin satan and hell fire
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Backslider(m): 7:52am On Mar 07, 2007
@dblock

The fruit is not sin in itself. It is the eating of the Fruit . The EATING REPRESENT THE ACT.

Killing
Lying
stealing
Fornication
Adultery
Etc
All unrighteousness is sin
all this is sin read your bible again
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by zebra(m): 7:53am On Mar 07, 2007
Backslider:

@goodguy
God DID not know but he made his mind that if we mess up like we .
Did God know that satan will sin against him ?

Wrong!! God knows everything.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Ndipe(m): 7:58am On Mar 07, 2007
God is All-Knowing@Backsider.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Backslider(m): 8:10am On Mar 07, 2007
@Zebra and Ndipe

your Knowledge of God of OmniScient is worldly and your theology of the new age Christian

God gave you a Choice to choose between. God expected you to choose good, God even tells you to Choose A blessing.

if he knows everthing why does he search the reins or the heart? he knows by searching out sin. Oh lord thou art of a pure eye to behold iniquity.

GOD DOES NOT KNOW SIN. HE KNOWS ALL BUT SIN HE DOES NOT KNOW. God can do all things but cannot never commit sin
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by dblock(m): 8:22am On Mar 07, 2007
@ Backslider, I never said the fruit was sin, quote where i said that, stop making up stuff wink

I said that consuming the fruit makes us aware of the knowledge of both good and Evil, does making it possible for us to commit sin. A man cannot construct a car, if he doesn't know what a car is in the first place. The fruit was placed in the Garden of eden so we (Adam and Eve) could choose wether or not we(Adam and Eve), wanted to follow the instructions of the serpant and be aware of Sin and reality
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by PoDeep(m): 10:05am On Mar 07, 2007
@topic
The tree was made to test mankind.Free will matters a lot,betta believe that.See,God had faith in mankind but we let him down.If u want to compare human thinking to God's plans,u're just wasting ur time.
I sure hope u'll find answer u need cos if not,u just might be in trouble.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by myro(m): 10:07am On Mar 07, 2007
Backslider:

@goodguy

The Satanic teaching that the Lord knew that we would eat the fruit is Leading to hell many people today. God DID not know but he made his mind that if we mess up like we did he has a remedy for all of us.

he had set up this since the foundation of the world. Did God know that satan will sin against him ?

GOD HAD FAITH IN US BUT WE FAILED HIM

GO AND READ JOB YOU WILL SEE GOD'S ABSOLUTE FAITH IS MAN. Where he told Lucifer has he considered his servant Job?

Can God say that about you today?

Was God right or wrong about Job ?

David sinned against God but anytime he was found he repented and forsook those sins God Trusted David so much that he knew david never played with God but Saul was given the same chance and even better Chance but he never forsook the sin and repent genuinely.

Do you hear yourself saying God did not KNOW?? Does that not contradict your whole idea of God? You are going about defending this the wrong way. First, you cannot fault others for questioning this notion. It is only logical to think along that line if you have ,  what is it again FREEWILL

All you can do is defend your faith by saying something like, the essence of God is mystery and we must have blind faith in him. I may not buy it but at least I'd have to respect you for doing so.

And I can't find the quote now but someone said something about America being prosperous because of the christians who did something or the other.

DUDE!!!! America is like the most immoral and anti-God country around. For crying out loud, they have legistlations against the Almighty and need I tell you where Bruce Almighty was produced? All forms of perversions emmanate from that part of the globe and they are proud of it. I have heard many say it must be the Babylon of our time. But dont take my word for it. Mark Twain is one of the most celebrated american writers of all time. He wrote this:

http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/twainlfe.htm

Take care before reading that link. You may never be the same.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by gbadex1(m): 10:26am On Mar 07, 2007
@ BackSlider:

forgive me if this sounds offensive, but i get annoyed when questions like this are posed, you start all that Blah blah blah talk about "how dare we question God?" bullshit. It irritates me to my bone marrow. I for one believe, God gave us a brain, and we are to use it to think critically. People (most times) that talk all that BS may know WHO they are serving, but don't know exactly WHY. Quit with the shit-talking. I see goodguy's questions as honest enough. Is it a crime to want to know? After all, u've got 2 sides to ya brain, then frigging use it!

<pissed off>
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Blow(m): 10:29am On Mar 07, 2007
Genesis Chapter 1
26.And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Genesis Chapter 2
15.And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.

16.And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:

17.But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

19.And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
The Holy Bible, King James Version
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Blow(m): 10:37am On Mar 07, 2007
God created a man that should think and be responsible for his actions.

A man that will be like Himself (God).

Resposibilty comes with freedom of choice,

And how do you know if somebody is responsible
if you dont give exceptions.

*God created the tree because he chose to do that.

God didnt create a robot whom he wanted to control with a remote.

He wants man to think and choose between obeying him
or disobeying him.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Backslider(m): 10:50am On Mar 07, 2007
@Gbadex @Myro and all beloved of God

What is Man ?

7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

He was a Dead soul God made him a living soul.

You may not like the Gospel of truth but I have no now any other Gospel where a man shall be saved except by this OLD FASHIONED GOSPEL.

There is no Crime in wanting to know. Gods wants To know also The spirit He gave Us what did we use it for ? The men of God that preach the truth did we hear him he sent his son did we know him, we have the bible do we study it?

Alas they are angry when the true gospel is preached.

They rejoice in The Gospel Of Satan The Gospel Of prosperity. Everyday people are dying and Trooping to Hell and people are rubbishing the grace of God.

It is time for those that are of God be renewed and flee all form evil. You can be proud and be boastful and speak with big Vocabulary but when the spirit that God Gave you is take Will not your soul die?
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by donnie(m): 11:29am On Mar 07, 2007
According to the bible, there was the tree of life in the garden just as there was the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. The tree of the knowledge of good and evil was not there to tempt man. It was there for a purpose; to be eaten when the time was right. As man would have had to eat of that tree when it is time for him to judge the angels for according to the scriptures, the saints will judge the angels. My own question for Adam is why did he not eat of the tree of life as there was no law against eating from that one? That explains the behaviour of man as regards the law and instructions. For where there is no law, there is no knowledge of sin. The flesh loves to go contrary to God. As a result of Adam's disobedience, God drove them out of the garden so that they would not have access to the tree of life and live forever. Because eating of that tree in their fallen state will make them to be as demons. However, we have access to that tree of life today in Christ Jesus. Glory to God.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by kassim2(m): 11:48am On Mar 07, 2007
just close your eyes and meditate,speak to God and ask the holy spirit to reveal the secrete to u.i bet u,u will no why.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Asymmetric Nature Of The Christian Sin Economy / 6 Things We Must Work On To Enable A Deep Worship Lifestyle / God Give Us Christian Homes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.