Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,843 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:48 PM

Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait - Art, Graphics & Video (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait (30847 Views)

Kehinde Wiley Honoured By Harvard University After Painting Obama / Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) / Obama Chooses Kehinde Wiley For His Official Presidential Portrait (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by itchie: 1:16pm On Feb 13, 2018
grin chai I don miss FP inspite of my desperate attempt to book space

1 Like

Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by castrol180(m): 1:16pm On Feb 13, 2018
That's my Yoruba guy...
Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by tuzeriouz: 1:17pm On Feb 13, 2018
The official portrait of Michelle Obama was painted by Amy Sherald.

3 Likes

Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by iamawara(m): 1:17pm On Feb 13, 2018
Lets appreciate the Ewedu family! Weh don sir, Ewedu don dey sell in $
Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by iamtardey: 1:21pm On Feb 13, 2018
you should also know he's from the country wia snakes swallow millions

2 Likes

Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by rapztar(m): 1:22pm On Feb 13, 2018
You forgot to mention that he is gay and mostly does his works in china

2 Likes

Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by Truth234(m): 1:24pm On Feb 13, 2018
mexxmoney:
I hope we won't come here to start celebrating someone who is currently been universally condemned for his racist artworks

How is he racist? You need to learn about his work, what the Caucasians are calling racism is a work that has been done over and over again by the same white, using white Judith picture (the Jewish Widow). All did was to use black painting for Judith (black Judith), like his other works.
Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by Nobody: 1:56pm On Feb 13, 2018
designVATExcel:
Hmmm. Is he truly Nigerian, hasn't lived here, just visited.

Even in my country if I stay 5 years in a state I'm still a settler and cannot own some properties or contest for political post.
well our constitution and culture made him a Nigerian and Yoruba by birth
Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by mexxmoney: 1:56pm On Feb 13, 2018
Truth234:

How is he racist? You need to learn about his work, what the Caucasians are calling racism is a work that has been done over and over again by the same white, using white Judith picture (the Jewish Widow). All did was to use black painting for Judith (black Judith), like his other works.
Everyone knows the story of Judith in the bible and those white you were claiming did the same picture were just depicting a scene in a biblical story of judith beheading General holefoenes just like depicting David beheading Goliath. What Mr Wiley did on the other hand had no relationship whatsoever to the bible story, he simply painted a portrait of a black woman beheading a white woman. Can u pls point me to anywhere in the biblical judith story that a woman beheaded another woman or even in the entire Bible where that happened? It was a racist artwork simple. If he had even painted a black Judith killing a white Gen. hoelefoenes, I would have even accepted it as a protest against the constant depiction of biblical heroes as white but to substitute Gen. Holefoenes with the head of a white woman totally disconnected his painting from the bible story, it turned the picture to what it is now been seen as i.e a racist painting of a black woman beheading a white woman with all the attendant wrong messages people could get from such a painting

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by iswallker(m): 1:59pm On Feb 13, 2018
kolawoleibukun:
the thing about Nigerians is complex. We only appreciate people already celebrated outside. There are thousands of artists in Nigeria seeking assistance and recognition. We drive past these artists everyday and some of us are still owing them from the cheap work that they did for us. As soon as one gains international recognition, we quickly remembers that he is an artist. Why can't we celebrate our local skills. That man did not achieve knowledge or excellence here. Why can't we help ourselves. People are painting Buhari and Adeboye at every corner but why are they not recognized?

Go and audition and get a job...

That's what Wiley did..

shocked
Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by Nobody: 2:04pm On Feb 13, 2018
mexxmoney:

Everyone knows the story of Judith in the bible and those white you were claiming did the same picture were just depicting a scene in a biblical story of judith beheading General holefoenes just like depicting David beheading Goliath. What Mr Wiley did on the other hand had no relationship whatsoever to the bible story, he simply painted a portrait of a black woman beheading a white woman. Can u pls point me to anywhere in the biblical judith story that a woman beheaded another woman or even in the entire Bible where that happened? It was a racist artwork simple. If he had even painted a black Judith killing a white Gen. hoelefoenes, I would have even accepted it as a protest against the constant depiction of biblical heroes as white but to substitute Gen. Holefoenes with the head of a white woman totally disconnected his painting from the bible story, it turned the picture to what it is now been seen as i.e a racist painting of a black woman beheading a white woman with all the attendant wrong messages people could get from such a painting
Na dis matter you put for head like dis? I want to believe you always defend black people against your caucassian lords like this. Based on where he grew up, and what he had experienced, expressing is disgust against an oppressive and racist group through his art I dont think makes him a racist. I think he is a survival, a freedom fighter using his talents to liberate his oppressed kin...A Moses.

1 Like

Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by mexxmoney: 2:14pm On Feb 13, 2018
transformed:
Na dis matter you put for head like dis? I want to believe you always defend black people against your caucassian lords like this. Based on where he grew up, and what he had experienced, expressing is disgust against an oppressive and racist group through his art I dont think makes him a racist. I think he is a survival, a freedom fighter using his talents to liberate his oppressed kin...A Moses.
Two wrongs have never and will never make a right. If a white artist had done a painting glorifying a white woman who beheads a black woman and holds her head dripping blood up as a trophy, the whole world would be going crazy right now and denouncing him as racist. He is been condemned now for those paintings of his and I can't just because he is black like me start supporting him or make excuses for him. We must learn to praise good deeds and condemn the bad irrespective of who is doing it and who is at the receiving end of it

2 Likes

Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by Nobody: 2:14pm On Feb 13, 2018
White people and pull him down syndrome sha, when the guy was paiting on the street side nobody call him a racist o, infact a lot of oyibo people might have been painted by him...but the moment he became a presidential portrait painter, probably the first black man to be, wahala started, they begin look for dirt on him...oshi, and some individuals with inbreed slave mentality no wan make we hear word
Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by Nobody: 2:20pm On Feb 13, 2018
mexxmoney:

Two wrongs have never and will never make a right. If a white artist had done a painting glorifying a white woman who beheads a black woman and holds her head dripping blood up as a trophy, the whole world would be going crazy right now and denouncing him as racist. He is been condemned now for those paintings of his and I can't just because he is black like me start supporting him or make excuses for him. We must learn to praise good deeds and condemn the bad irrespective of who is doing it and who is at the receiving end of it
I dont think defending people that voted a president that grab pussy and call black countries shit hole deserve the kind of energy you are expending on this matter... There is a difference between statement like "the guy is a good artist, but I dont like some of his art that depict racism" and another one like " the guy should be skinned and trashed into gabbage because I saw one of his art where he was encouraging black women to cut white women head" similar statement, from different undertone

2 Likes

Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by Truth234(m): 2:22pm On Feb 13, 2018
mexxmoney:

From the horse mouth “The games I’m playing have much more to do with using the language of power and the vocabulary of power to construct new sentences,” Wiley says. “It’s about pointing to empire and control and domination and misogyny and all those social ills in the work, but it’s not necessarily taking a position. Oftentimes it’s actually embodying it.”

...and when next you see a white man ask him why his people colonized us, his answer, diplomatic or not, is racism/imperialism reconstruct.

1 Like

Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by Nobody: 2:30pm On Feb 13, 2018
Brilliant! Moreso, he's not a deluded coon like most Nigerians, classic example is the guy ranting above that he's racist. Take several seats, abeg.
Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by NovusHomo(m): 2:33pm On Feb 13, 2018
FarahAideed:

But the fact that Barrack Obama would commission such an artist to do his portrait speaks volumes about the disturbing mind lurking behind the rib cage of Mr Obama like I have always maintained

The guy did a bad job.

4 Likes

Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by mexxmoney: 2:34pm On Feb 13, 2018
transformed:
I dont think defending people that voted a president that grab pussy and call black countries shit hole deserve the kind of energy you are expending on this matter... There is a difference between statement like "the guy is a good artist, but I dont like some of his art that depict racism" and another one like " the guy should be skinned and trashed into gabbage because I saw one of his art where he was encouraging black women to cut white women head" similar statement, from different undertone
Did you say just one of his arts? Dude, go research into the guy's artworks, racism is clearly a recurring theme in his works. It's only someone who decides to be biased or blind that won't see it. All the other things you wrote there just comes back to what I said i.e two wrongs have never and will never make a right. That Donald Trump does it is not a justification for you to do same. If you are supporting and encouraging someone doing the exact same thing Trump is doing, then what moral right do you have to condemn Trump? Are we saying racism is only racism when it's done by whites against blacks? Are we saying we should look the other way and pretend nothing is wrong if a black man is also being racist against whites? Four black teens abducted a mentally handicapped white man in Chicago, tortured him for hours with a knife and forced him to drink toilet water. Are we going to also excuse that by saying well, trump is a racist? I still maintain we must look beyond skin colour and call out bad deeds when we see it and praise good deeds too irrespective of whether it is been done by white or black

2 Likes

Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by Nobody: 2:36pm On Feb 13, 2018
mexxmoney:

Racism is bad and very evil...we all have some racism in us, though black life matter group believe black people cannot be racist, beause we are the victims everywherr...I might disagree with that assertion. However, defining and judging a person based on some of his art too could be too harsh... We have no idea of his state of mind when that art was made, no idea of the kind or level of racism he was exposed to, no idea of how his childhood was(booty scratcher), no idea of effort he made before overcome hatred expressed in such art... Now, joining in extreme codemnation him because of his work years back because his oppressor deem it so is insensitive of us. The question every well meaning individuals should ask is that if the guy remain an unapolegetic racist like Trump, or still an angry black man

2 Likes

Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by NovusHomo(m): 2:37pm On Feb 13, 2018
kennygee:
Kehinde Wiley (born 1977) is a New York City-based portrait painter who is known for his highly naturalistic paintings of African-Americans. The Columbus Museum of Art, which hosted an exhibition of his work in 2007, describes his work with the following: "Wiley has gained recent acclaim for his heroic portraits which address the image and status of young African-American men in contemporary culture."

Wiley was born in Los Angeles, California. His father is Yoruba from Nigeria, and his mother is African-American. As a child, his mother supported his interest in art and enrolled him in after-school art classes. At the age of 12, he spent a short time at an art school in Russia.

Wiley did not grow up with his father, and at the age of 20 traveled to Nigeria to explore his roots and meet him. Wiley earned his BFA from the San Francisco Art Institute in 1999 and his MFA from Yale University, School of Art in 2001.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kehinde_Wiley

He designed the pictures of Barrack and Michelle Obama just unveiled at the Smithsonian, his work was featured in Season 2 of Empire.

Check the IG link to see more.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfHQi71DvYC/

You don't design a portrait, you paint it.
You don't unveil someone, you present or introduce them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by mexxmoney: 2:42pm On Feb 13, 2018
Truth234:

From the horse mouth “The games I’m playing have much more to do with using the language of power and the vocabulary of power to construct new sentences,” Wiley says. “It’s about pointing to empire and control and domination and misogyny and all those social ills in the work, but it’s not necessarily taking a position. Oftentimes it’s actually embodying it.”

...and when next you see a white man ask him why his people colonized us, his answer, diplomatic or not, is racism/imperialism reconstruct.
What you just wrote there is sophistry. It is a fallacy (Ignoratio elenchi). What you wrote there may in itself be valid, but does not address the issue in question right now. The truth is that you can beat about the bush or decide to play the ostrich, that painting was racist!!

2 Likes

Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by Nobody: 2:49pm On Feb 13, 2018
mexxmoney:

Did you say just one of his arts? Dude, go research into the guy's artworks, racism is clearly a recurring theme in his works. It's only someone who decides to be biased or blind that won't see it. All the other things you wrote there just comes back to what I said i.e two wrongs have never and will never make a right. That Donald Trump does it is not a justification for you to do same. If you are supporting and encouraging someone doing the exact same thing Trump is doing, then what moral right do you have to condemn Trump? Are we saying racism is only racism when it's done by whites against blacks? Are we saying we should look the other way and pretend nothing is wrong if a black man is also being racist against whites? Four black teens abducted a mentally handicapped white man in Chicago, tortured him for hours with a knife and forced him to drink toilet water. Are we going to also excuse that by saying well, trump is a racist? I still maintain we must look beyond skin colour and call out bad deeds when we see it and praise good deeds too irrespective of whether it is been done by white or black
well I have seen only one, and thats the only one all right analyst are masturbating on...except if you term his painting of mostly black character racist
Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by Nobody: 2:50pm On Feb 13, 2018
NovusHomo:

You don't design a portrait, you paint it.
You don't unveil someone, you present or introduce them.
You can help wikipeadia...Thanks
Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by Nobody: 2:52pm On Feb 13, 2018
let Kehinde be
Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by Controversialbo(m): 3:04pm On Feb 13, 2018
nice one
Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by Nobody: 3:10pm On Feb 13, 2018
He’s best known for creating naturalistic paintings featuring African-Americans in heroic poses.

Wiley is known for taking the saints, prophets and heroes of Old Master paintings and replacing them with black men and women dressed in hip-hop or African attire.

“What I choose to do is to take people who happen to look like me — black and brown people all over the world, increasingly — and to allow them to occupy that field of power,”
Wiley told CNN.

Maybe this is good racism. I think some people need to reduce the amount of FOX TV they watch
Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by Nobody: 3:11pm On Feb 13, 2018
And he is VERY GAY.. Not Like Alimi that will be selling gay pride as if it's Egusi soup .

1 Like

Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by coluka: 3:13pm On Feb 13, 2018
This man is no hero, he is in fact a disgrace to the art world. Anyone who judges people by the colour of their skin, religion or ethnic affiliation rather than by the content of their character is no different from our tribal E-warriors here on nairaland. He just gave Nigeria a bad name with his disgraceful paintings

2 Likes

Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by omongbatim: 3:17pm On Feb 13, 2018
He designed the pictures of Barrack and Michelle Obama just unveiled at the Smithsonian, his work was featured in Season 2 of Empire.

Half truth.

He only designed that of Obama. That of Michele was designed by Amy Sherald

2 Likes

Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by omongbatim: 3:20pm On Feb 13, 2018
tuzeriouz:
The official portrait of Michelle Obama was painted by Amy Sherald.

Thank you for the correction. Don't mind misinformed Nigerians like the OP sitting in Ijebu Igbo shithole and commenting on U.S. affairs they know nothing about.

2 Likes

Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by mexxmoney: 3:21pm On Feb 13, 2018
transformed:
well I have seen only one, and thats the only one all right analyst are masturbating on...except if you term his painting of mostly black character racist
I don't want continue engaging in unnecessary argument over this matter but I just want you to imagine what will be the reaction of the black community if a white artist were to paint Jesse Owens, Muhammad Ali, Martin Luther king or Obama himself with white skin colour? What would you have called him? What's good for the goose is good for the gander. No double standards

2 Likes

Re: Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait by Vinstel: 3:30pm On Feb 13, 2018
The man na homo sef? Mtcheeew! Wetin be the problem with all this afonja people and homo sef? Bobrisky and alimi own never do, this werey don carry him own join

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

This Wedding IV In The Form Of Nigerian Passport / 4 Most Expensive Nigerian Art Pieces / Steps On How To Turn You Picture Into Cartoon Corel Draw

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.