Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,797 members, 7,802,550 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:12 PM

Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing (9698 Views)

Ask Me Anything About Freelancing On Upwork. / Godwin Emefiele: 13 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About CBN Governor / 10 Questions Unemployed Nigerians Are Asking About Freelancing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by ugojibaby: 7:29pm On Feb 13, 2018
While the word freelance is thrown around frequently, very few people know what it really means. So we have many people who are familiar with the term freelancing but have no real knowledge of what it’s about.

This article is to help give you a crash course of what freelance is all about. Even if you knew something about it, you will likely find something interesting that’s new to you. You ready? Let’s get into it!

1. You have a boss – It’s you

The idea of a boss to many people is someone who is grumpy, annoying and love to give tasks upon tasks to others. Well, when it comes to freelancing, you have a boss too, but you are your own boss. That means you get to call the shots as you deem fit. However, if you are someone who needs to be prodded to get working, you may struggle for a while at freelance till you get a grip of why you need to work hard. Don’t worry anyway; your low earnings will always motivate you better than your boss.

2. It’s about chaotic freedom

Yes, it sounds like an irony but it’s still true. Do you wish to quit waking up so early to catch the morning bus and return home late night? Freelance can help you with that. With freelance, you can sleep as much as you want, have the weekends to yourself and work at your pace. However, the story often changes when numerous orders start coming in. Soon, you may find yourself working late into the night. Yes, you have freedom but it can be chaotic. Not to worry though because you can always take a vacation at will.

3. Networking still counts

Do you like to work alone? Does the idea of having to relate with people over a task at the office wear you out? Freelance comes to the rescue. With freelance, you get to work alone and have your way with things without anyone giving you an opinion you don’t want. However, if you really want to succeed, you may need to network with other freelancers to learn new strategies and trends to help you raise your game. As a plus, you will always be motivated by their enthusiasm when yours wane.

4. Having skills is the top priority

Freelance is about having skills you can sell. These skills must be digital skills. A Nigerian was once asked if he had any skills to sell, he replied that he could type because he had a system. That’s not a digital skill and freelance sites are not business centres. While you may have a flair for some digital skills, sometimes, you may need to expand your skill set so you can earn more.

5. Hustling is a way of life
No matter how much you earn as a freelancer, you just can’t afford to rest on your oars. That means you must be prepared to continually market yourself to prospective clients. Just because you have earned for a month doesn’t mean clients will automatically traffic to your gig. Notwithstanding, there are freelancers who get to live outside the rule because of the years they have been at it and the huge positive reviews they have.

6. You may get fat

This sounds a little hilarious but it is true. Hardly would you see someone who has been freelancing for quite a while who still looks slim (except the person eats carefully and exercises regularly.) The reason for the added weight is obvious; as a freelancer, you may sit at spot for hours or even remain indoors for more than a day. Since you keep ingesting without burning calories, it’s only a matter of time before it shows. You don’t have to be worried, getting fat is a deliberate exaggeration on our; the right word is chubby.

7. It can get lonely but it pays

If you like to be where it’s happening or you are a huge fan of social life, you may experience some challenges. Freelance has the tendency of dragging freelancers away from the public and force them to remain hidden, meeting the demands of clients. You may just have to forfeit some timeout with friends and other social activities. This shouldn’t be a big problem because you are earning cool cash anyway.

8. You need the right information to succeed

It is true that you can start freelancing anytime you wish. Many people have stumbled into freelancing and started earning almost immediately. However, theirs is a rare case which contradicts the experience of many. The simple truth is that freelance can be quite difficult to start because of competition.

More: http://www.nigeriaonlinebusiness.com/2018/02/10-fun-facts-you-probably-didnt-know.html

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by dayo4(m): 7:36pm On Feb 13, 2018
As touching the skills, which digital skills are the easiest to learn in a short time for someone already conversant with a PC and MS Office applications?
Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by Donald3d(m): 8:12pm On Feb 13, 2018
Especially skills !!! wink cheesy cool
But its really kind of lonely too , very lonely cry cry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by MrImole: 5:15pm On Feb 23, 2018
May the association of gods bless you for this.

3 Likes

Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by frigsfriday(m): 5:18pm On Feb 23, 2018
kudos! grin
Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by Nobody: 5:20pm On Feb 23, 2018
Interestingly no 6 is right up there. I did a lot of pp last year, made good money but was chained to my desk doing it.

I am still trying to shed the weight
Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by hedonistic: 5:20pm On Feb 23, 2018
Yes. But it all depends on what you freelance. If its the usual stuff many people slave over, Fiverr this and that, then na you sabi. Ambitious peeps would rather freelance something bigger and more lucrative. Unless your ambition is to live from hand to mouth till you drop dead.

Freelance Aza, freelance connecting solid transacts (middle man), chook head where e dey happen. Millions (Naira o, USD o, GBP o, EUR o) are being shared and diverted daily, worldwide, on and off the Internet, and the world still quiet like say nothing happen.

Abi, as a young man, you no wan build house for Lagos, own a decent and conservative N20m whip garage, travel at least once a year abroad on vacay, marry and prevent heat rashes for your wifey and pikin bodies, groove one or two fun hotspots weekly, and sample some of the sweet girls for town? All na freelancing. The right freelancing. I don talk my own.

9 Likes

Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by jericco1(m): 5:22pm On Feb 23, 2018
everyone should hone a sellable skill
Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by kels4fun(m): 5:22pm On Feb 23, 2018
dayo4:
As touching the skills, which digital skills are the easiest to learn in a short time for someone already conversant with a PC and MS Office applications?

programming
web development / Web design
Graphics
Networking
Database management

3 Likes

Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by Lomprico2: 5:23pm On Feb 23, 2018
I disagree with point 6.
Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by kelvinklein219(m): 5:23pm On Feb 23, 2018
How do one with I.T skills get freelance jobs
Nobody would ask that question � oh.
Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by Nobody: 5:24pm On Feb 23, 2018
True
Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by topearos(m): 5:24pm On Feb 23, 2018
PS: Do away with plagiarism. It is called intellectual theft.

Op

@Op: try and include that as you are encouraging the fresh blood.

Good Job!
Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by Ejadike(m): 5:25pm On Feb 23, 2018
I really wanna learn Fiverr, please who can teach me? I'm based in Lagos.
Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by Ofieno(m): 5:27pm On Feb 23, 2018
Beautiful write up
Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by Doerstech(m): 5:30pm On Feb 23, 2018
Yes..

you're right ops I can relate with the lonely part and adding of weight

After freelancing for few months I start hearing things like...'You have added so much weight etc...
���

Hustling ain't easy but is the way of life...

1 Like

Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by Premiumwriter: 5:33pm On Feb 23, 2018
I love freelancing. Losing a customer to me is the most painful part. And the happiest part is to see three or five "like" thumb grin
Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by SoNature(m): 5:34pm On Feb 23, 2018
Donald3d:
Especially skills !!! wink cheesy cool
But its really kind of lonely too , very lonely cry cry

True. But u will make both street and online friends. Yes, you are the boss, and you can choose what to do with your time

I don't regret quitting my job to pursue a career in freelancing because I earn more than double my previous salary

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by Nobody: 5:40pm On Feb 23, 2018
angry
Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by PETUK(m): 5:42pm On Feb 23, 2018
Wow Nigeria could have broken up if not for this fact

1 Like

Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by Princedapace(m): 6:06pm On Feb 23, 2018
hedonistic:
Yes. But it all depends on what you freelance. If its the usual stuff many people slave over, Fiverr thus and that, then na you sabi. Ambitious peeps would rather freelance something bigger and more lucrative. Unless your ambition is to live from hand to mouth till you drop dead.

Freelance Aza, freelance connecting solid transacts (middle man), chook head where e dey happen. Millions (Naira o, USD o, GBP o, EUR o) are being shared and diverted daily, worldwide, on and off the Internet, and the world still quiet like say nothing happen.

Abi, as a young man, you no wan build house for Lagos, own a decent and conservative N20m whip garage, travel at least once a year abroad on vacay, marry and prevent heat rashes for your wifey and pikin bodies, groove one or two fun hotspots weekly, and sample some the sweet girls for town? All na freelancing. The right freelancing. I don talk my own.

Hello bro

I just sent you a private message request. I go like make we reason together jareee.. Your comment make sense.
Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by yesloaded: 6:12pm On Feb 23, 2018
Ejadike:
I really wanna learn Fiverr, please who can teach me? I'm based in Lagos.
whatsapp me on 0 8 1 3 7 7 5 0 7 4 1
I will teach you all that you need to know about freelancing and even add you to my team. Just let me know that I quote you on nairaland
Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by Subudu(m): 6:30pm On Feb 23, 2018
hedonistic:
Yes. But it all depends on what you freelance. If its the usual stuff many people slave over, Fiverr this and that, then na you sabi. Ambitious peeps would rather freelance something bigger and more lucrative. Unless your ambition is to live from hand to mouth till you drop dead.

Abi, as a young man, you no wan build house for Lagos, own a decent and conservative N20m whip garage, travel at least once a year abroad on vacay, marry and prevent heat rashes for your wifey and pikin bodies, groove one or two fun hotspots weekly, and sample some of the sweet girls for town? All na freelancing. The right freelancing. I don talk my own.

Una own na to make mouth.
Many men for fiverr fit feed you. And you are here wanting to discourage men hustling legitimately.

We know una type. If we look carefully now, you still dey live for your papa house dey yarn rubbish

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by jerflakes(m): 6:40pm On Feb 23, 2018
You may get fat?

So, freelancing is all about sitting in one spot?

2 Likes

Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by cadre88(m): 6:40pm On Feb 23, 2018
Baba, show ur guy the way na
hedonistic:

Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by osewadare(m): 6:52pm On Feb 23, 2018
Freelancing is not meant for everyone. Self discovery is key

1 Like

Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by Fuhrerfran6(m): 8:44pm On Feb 23, 2018
modified

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by mithras(m): 8:48pm On Feb 23, 2018
hedonistic:

Oga abeg show me the way. How can I reach you, pm or whatsapp?
Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by toluayo93: 9:22pm On Feb 23, 2018
Fuhrerfran6:
cool You will have no life!

Freelancers are always busy, they don't have time for most other activities. I don't know how it works but freelancing takes your life away. Your parents will complain, your babe will complain, your wife will even threaten you because you will develop true love for your laptop.

9) You will get greedy!

When I started off at upwork I was a young jobless graduate looking to earn 50k per month. After the first month I earn over 100k and got greedy. I increased my target to 150k and now I aim at earning over $2k per month.

10) You will spend money!

yes, unless you are caused or have no skills, you will make money! I once took my babe and two of her friends out and spend over 80k at a spot. my girl will never leave me, her friends now see me as a yahoo boy, I kinda like the feeling of being called 'sir' when I walk into a place.

Freelancing is bae...only if someone shows you the way!

P.S don't believe these bloggers, they are only cashing in on the craze. freelancers that actually make money don't have time to create a post about it.
Lastly, no matter your skills, someone has to show the way.

brother abeg you fit help with creating up work account like guide me. My account don't get approved.
Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by deleib(m): 7:38am On Feb 24, 2018
yesloaded:

whatsapp me on 0 8 1 3 7 7 5 0 7 4 1
I will teach you all that you need to know about freelancing and even add you to my team. Just let me know that I quote you on nairaland
Re: Fun Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Freelancing by deleib(m): 7:42am On Feb 24, 2018
Fuhrerfran6:
cool You will have no life!

Freelancers are always busy, they don't have time for most other activities. I don't know how it works but freelancing takes your life away. Your parents will complain, your babe will complain, your wife will even threaten you because you will develop true love for your laptop.

9) You will get greedy!

When I started off at upwork I was a young jobless graduate looking to earn 50k per month. After the first month I earn over 100k and got greedy. I increased my target to 150k and now I aim at earning over $2k per month.

10) You will spend money!

yes, unless you are caused or have no skills, you will make money! I once took my babe and two of her friends out and spend over 80k at a spot. my girl will never leave me, her friends now see me as a yahoo boy, I kinda like the feeling of being called 'sir' when I walk into a place.

Freelancing is bae...only if someone shows you the way!

P.S don't believe these bloggers, they are only cashing in on the craze. freelancers that actually make money don't have time to create a post about it.
Lastly, no matter your skills, someone has to show the way.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday / Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals / CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.