Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,537 members, 7,808,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:15 PM

4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid (10263 Views)

Five Simple Things To Do When You Lose Your Brakes While Driving / What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive / 5 Most Important Things To Do When Your Car Brakes Fail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by Ochima75(m): 11:42am On Feb 18, 2018
MrJames007:
Most cars don't require any bleeding. I didn't bleed mine after replacing the pads.

Ok sir
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by erico2k2(m): 6:29pm On Feb 18, 2018
Ochima75:
Brakes!
Brakes!!
Brakes!!!

Another clue, anytime u change ur brake pads always rmmbr to bleed properly be4 u couple completely...
If not... Heheheheheheheheheh
I done properly, U might not need to
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by erico2k2(m): 6:32pm On Feb 18, 2018
nemynely:

Even Caucasians don't do this kind of fortnightly check you propose. Please ensure that service parts (brake pads inclusive) are of high quality. More expensive? Yes, but guarantees 99% peace of mind.
They do, if you car is a comercial car, you do brake check as stated by the guy you quoted,plus anytime you car goes for service, brake checks are carried out,HGV have self brake test,Lights test etc, so this is done every morning B4 the trucks goes out, you are meant to spend min 25 mins d oing these test!
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by adanny01(m): 9:39am On Feb 19, 2018
2. It is normal for brake fluid to go below normal from time to time:
The break fluid won’t go low if everything about the brake is normal. Your brake might be working properly for a while and won’t lose its stopping power immediately.

When there is constant or time to time decrease in the brake fluid level, it can mean your brake pads or master cylinder need to be fixed. It could also mean that there’s a leak in the brake lines. It also good you know a small leak of brake fluid today might be a disaster tomorrow.
Get it fixed!!!

Brake fluid should go below normal as brake pads wear off.

The above point is not a misconception. It is only abnormal for the brake fluid level to go down within a short time especially if the short time is not corresponding to brake pad wear or if it goes below minimum level.

Best times to top off brake fluid is

1. after installing new pads and the level after bleeding is below the top level
2. When fluid level is below the minimum level. If i am to top it at this level, i will investigate a leak first. I will also not top to max level if my pads are not newly installed.

Brake systems dont easily fail, a look at the fluid level weekly is enough to rest your mind. There are no parts to service. Most cars have installed warnings for worn out pad. 2003-7 Accord will constantly squeal miles before you have metal to disc contact. You wont ever miss it if the brake pad is good.

Brake failure is mostly due to

1. Bad replacement parts such as brake pads and master cylinder
2. Overheating due to over braking, brake binding etc
3. Loss of vacuum from engine shutdown
4. Leak from busted pipes or seals

1 and 2 are the responsibility of the driver while 3 and 4 are not serviceable. It means my entire list is not serviceable.

You can only know from how the brakes feels if there is something wrong or not.
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by Kingsdave(m): 9:58pm On Apr 09, 2020
I own a 2009 toyota camry V6 ... I wanna use toyota WS..How many litres will I use , also tell me what is to be done at the mechanics , you know gear is delicate issue... Like how many hours will the car cool off before the mechanic commences ATF change.... Should the oil be drained when hot or cold... Wanna change it tomorrow

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It Legal To Drive Right-hand-drive (RHD) Vehicles In Nigeria? / Most Nigerian (AC)Technicians & Mechanics are Quacks >:( / Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.