Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,436 members, 7,781,272 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:35 AM

I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals (65122 Views)

Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want / 2 Lovers From Okija, Anambra Commit Suicide Over 'Osu' (Disturbing Pictures) / "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Eazi1(m): 7:18pm On Feb 14, 2018
Osu Man Plz Kindly Look For Osu Gal

2 Likes

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by TENHEU22(m): 7:18pm On Feb 14, 2018
ItzPrinceIB:
What Is Osu?
Go and get some old Nigerian movies and watch, you will know.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Adeoluwa7070(m): 7:18pm On Feb 14, 2018
wao....... saw this OSU of a thing in a movie so this is real archaic believe.Bros abeg move on there are lot of fishes in the river
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by kabrud: 7:18pm On Feb 14, 2018
efesodje:
I thought they stopped practicing this shit long ago? shocked
They are still in it very well in 2018 grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by dokkitaa(m): 7:18pm On Feb 14, 2018
My genotype is SS while hers is AA. Her mother initially accepted before hearing the news but immediately after she got to know about my genotype. She immediately turned down my offer

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Atiku2019: 7:19pm On Feb 14, 2018
angry
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by femolacqua(m): 7:19pm On Feb 14, 2018
Its not the end of rhe world bro, just move on.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Wealthandjobs: 7:19pm On Feb 14, 2018
Hmmm.
The evil men do....
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by ballerin(m): 7:19pm On Feb 14, 2018
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Nobody: 7:20pm On Feb 14, 2018
They will cry of marginalization but still marginalize themselves

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by LaudateII: 7:20pm On Feb 14, 2018
Mrkumareze:
Wise man, I read the comments above yours and I was like they 're kids . The spirit behind that OSU of a thing is not a child's play . Have seen disastrous effect of it
Pray do tell....what kind of effects exactly, did you see??

9 Likes

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by lloydmuna2(m): 7:20pm On Feb 14, 2018
His are they still into this lost traditional thing ??
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Mrkumareze(m): 7:20pm On Feb 14, 2018
He should just carry on with life, he that went ahead to date a girl who's not OSU should not be disappointed cos it's a known fact which must showcase. The tradition is still very active not just in Nigeria but also in other countries.

2 Likes

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Nobody: 7:20pm On Feb 14, 2018
bobokeshington:
what is the meaning of "OSU"?
I don't get it

Osu is an outcast.

Every community have their own outcasts, Theres nothing confusing about it.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Eazi1(m): 7:21pm On Feb 14, 2018
dokkitaa:
My genotype is SS while hers is AA. Her mother initially accepted before hearing the news but immediately after she got to know about my genotype. She immediately turned down my offer
eyahh sorry eh

2 Likes

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Wealthandjobs: 7:21pm On Feb 14, 2018
Mrkumareze:

Wise man, I read the comments above yours and I was like they 're kids . The spirit behind that OSU of a thing is not a child's play . Have seen disastrous effect of it
Just wondering,is this the way they would be treated if there was Biafra? Classless humans? I am just curious.
I think someone should test our legal system with these unfair traditional practice by challenging it I'm court just like denial of female child the right to inherit their parent's property

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by cooltola(m): 7:21pm On Feb 14, 2018
[[[[
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Zico5(m): 7:22pm On Feb 14, 2018
And these people truly love themselves o. They are just bunch of jokers. How can u reject someone in this civilized era? And they will come here and fight other tribes like their lives depend on it. Hypocrisy of the highest order
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Konquest: 7:22pm On Feb 14, 2018
PrettyCrystal:
A young man identified as Didi Mehn is in serious emotional pain and in a dilemma after being rejected by the family of his sweetheart. According to the man from Enugu state, his girlfriend's parents who initially accepted him changed their minds after discovering he's an OSU (outcast)...

The Osu caste system is an ancient practice in Igboland that discourages social interaction and marriage with a group of persons called Osu. Osu are the people dedicated to the gods; so they are regarded as slaves, strangers, outcasts and untouchables...

Read what the handsome man shared on Facebook in order to clear his confusion.

We so much Love ourselves....We've been together even in difficult times...I think she's d woman I would want to spend d rest of my Life with... She has already said yes to my marriage proposal but there's a problem....She's Amadi while am an Osu....

Her parents initially accepted me wholeheartedly but after investigations they made abt my family,,they discovered am an Osu n now they said that d relationship should end,,reason is cos they don't wanna give thier daughter to an Osu....

Am so confused right now,, pls what do I do

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2018/02/enugu-man-reveals-how-his-girlfriends-parents-rejected-him-for-being-outcast.html
^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
This thing will never go away in
Iboland because they are very
traditional in that part of Nigeria!

A man that I know from Rivers State
told me how his son's mother
rejected his son's then lover who
is an OSU or outcast, but his
son was adamant in marrying
her. They eventually got married
against his mother's wish about
8 years ago.

His wife and his son's lover
are from Imo States.

The worse form of tribalism is
still being practiced in Iboland
and it is very strong. You
will hear some Ibo priests preaching
against it but prevent their daughters
or sons from marrying into the several
families that have been tainted as
outcasts.

I saw an episode of Mo Abudu's
Show that featured people who
are tagged Osu about 10 years
ago and these people were treated
with disdain openly in their villages
or communities. Anyone [a woman] that
marries from another ethnic group
into that family of Osus will
also be tainted with the children.

Coincidentally, I watched another program on AIT
by Kambili Osadolor called Kambili 360 on a guy from a rich Nnewi family, and other people who are have been labelled as so-called osu.
It was very saddening to watch those people
talk about the social discrimination in Iboland.

The ONLY thing that can STOP the
practice of discrimination against these
group of people who are tagged Osu
in Iboland is if you line up all Ibos at
GUNPOINT and FORCE all of the so-called
"freeborn" and osu to marry one another
and have children... blend them at gunpoint!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by melodyogonna(m): 7:22pm On Feb 14, 2018
Mrkumareze:

taa comot for here, there is no spirit behind anything.

5 Likes

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Odingo1: 7:22pm On Feb 14, 2018
Osu is a caste system practiced in the olden days in Igboland where those who are dedicated to god are assumed to be untouchable, they serve the oracles and people are afraid to associate with them, people that committed crime that is punishable by death can run to oracle for protection and they become Osu and escape the punishment, slaves are also regarded as osu because they are segregated as not been the son of the soil, Osu in Igboland is now outdated and not in practice now. This case if it is true is a surprise.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by bobokeshington: 7:23pm On Feb 14, 2018
AerialMapper:

Osun State University
Osun State University ko...
Ogun State University ni...
Dullard, How you take pass WAEC??

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Mrkumareze(m): 7:24pm On Feb 14, 2018
LaudateII:

Pray do tell....what kind of effects exactly, did you see??
Have seen a family where an OSU lady got married to, from that moment kids in that home begins to sick n die until the lady was sent packing . Not just that, there 're other instances infant mention here. I m not in support of that but the spirit behind it is stubborn

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by bobokeshington: 7:24pm On Feb 14, 2018
TENHEU22:
Go and get some old Nigerian movies and watch, you will know.

I don't watch Nigerian movies

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Handsomecole(m): 7:26pm On Feb 14, 2018
Why won't they reject you ?? The irresponsible tattoo you have on your arm in the 2nd picture is enough reason for them to reject you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Nobody: 7:26pm On Feb 14, 2018
As An Igbo man I am very ashamed of this practice. This for me is the worst and darkest part of Igbo culture

I am classed as a free born or non-Osu or whatever you may call it but I feel like I remain in bondage until this useless practice is eradicated from our culture

It is a culture of discrimination which all learned Igbo men and women must stand up against!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by talk2percy(m): 7:27pm On Feb 14, 2018
She doesn't deserve u. Impregnate and dump her sorry ass and those amadis will run prostrating at ur feet to marry her.

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by spicebomb(f): 7:27pm On Feb 14, 2018
ejikemeuwa:
angry tho i am not osu but i hate this practice with all of my heart. I wish am in a traditional authority to destroy this barbaric act

It is not what a traditional ruler or someone in authority can abolish.. Yes it is barbaric,we all know that. Do you think discrimination will ever end, No.

4 Likes

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by uwajeh(m): 7:28pm On Feb 14, 2018
I'm pretty sure they are elders in their Church. We are such a hypocritical continent.

4 Likes

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by bobokeshington: 7:28pm On Feb 14, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Osu is an outcast.

Every community have their own outcasts, Theres nothing confusing about it.

we no get for my own community o...
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Xeedorf: 7:29pm On Feb 14, 2018
Uncle OSU, is better you lv the lady and marry OLOSHO.
All join.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by spicebomb(f): 7:30pm On Feb 14, 2018
[quote author=ejikemeuwa post=65069191] angry tho i am not osu but i hate this practice with all of my heart. I wish am in a traditional authority to destroy this barbaric act[/quote

It is not what a traditional ruler or someone in authority can abolish.. Yes it is barbaric,we all know that. Do you think discrimination will ever end, No.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Naomi Oluwaseyi, Ooni’s Wife, Prophesied Her Reign As Queen Over A Year Ago? / Beauty Of Middlebelt Nigerian Women / Ooni Of Ife Recreates Photo Of 4th Ooni Who Was Transformed Into A Deity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.