Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,329 members, 7,808,104 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:18 AM

I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals (65518 Views)

Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want / 2 Lovers From Okija, Anambra Commit Suicide Over 'Osu' (Disturbing Pictures) / "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by letusbepieces: 7:50pm On Feb 14, 2018
esere826:

If he's tribe has rejected him then he should move on and reject them.
Marry from some other tribe and get his children embedded more in that tribe.

THEY HAVE ALL HEADED TO YORUBA AND WE WILL NOT HESITATE TO PROSCRIBE YORUBA FROM COMING TO IGBOS FOR MARRIAGE.

ANY IGBO FAMILY THAT DARES MARRY ANY OF THEIR CHILDREN TO YORUBA WILL BE CONDEMN AND REFERED TO AS OSU OPENLY.

IT TAKES ONE MEETING AND ONE ANNOUNCEMENT TO ACCOMPLISH THAT AND BELIEVE ME, MY PEOPLE WILL FLEE FROM YORUBAS LIKE THE PLAGUE.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by successinlife: 7:50pm On Feb 14, 2018
freedomchild:
He should move on. Though I don't support this OSU stuff the issue is more spiritual and cultural than we think. As for those above saying that they'd marry anyone irrespective of his/her cultural inclination don't know anything.... How can you stop what you don't know it's root...... Better behave

This is 2018 ehehehehehheeheh, If you still talking of any yeye culture or inclination then the whites should label blacks monkeys,do you agree?

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by dingbang(m): 7:50pm On Feb 14, 2018
sexdoll:

Easier Said than done.

If you carry your osu legs enta my family come talk say you wan marry one of our sisters, na cutlass we go take pursue you.
no problem.. Y'all deserve to be OSU on the day of judgement.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by letusbepieces: 7:55pm On Feb 14, 2018
THESE DAYS WEN I SEE AN IGBO PERSON MARRIED TO YORUBA, I JUST KNOW WAT THEY ARE.

SO I FREELY SAY THE WORD.

OSU!

AND U KNOW THE FUNNY THING, IT ALSO EXTEND TO THE YORUBA.

OSU IS LIKE A SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASE, IT IS INFECTIOUS AND TRANSFERED THROUGH MARRIAGE.

THAT IS Y U SEE SOME IGBO MARRIED TO YORUBAS.

THEY AND THE YORUBAS ARE OSU.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by sexdoll: 7:55pm On Feb 14, 2018
dingbang:
no problem.. Y'all deserve to be OSU on the day of judgement.

It's our tradition.

It was already in place before we came on board.

It will still be there when we are gone.

If you want to stop it then you must go back several years in time to find out why our fore fore forefathers even started it in the first place

Don't be overly deceived by the white man's borrowed tradition

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by ameri9ja: 7:56pm On Feb 14, 2018
This Osu stuff is proof that some traditions are pure madness. A politician steals in broad daylight and is adulated. While here is a man being stigmatized for something he has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with!!

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by estycool(f): 7:56pm On Feb 14, 2018
Naija with their wicked tradition.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by ameri9ja: 7:57pm On Feb 14, 2018
letusbepieces:
THESE DAYS WEN I SEE AN IGBO PERSON MARRIED TO YORUBA, I JUST KNOW WAT THEY ARE.

SO I FREELY SAY THE WORD.

OSU!

AND U KNOW THE FUNNY THING, IT ALSO EXTEND TO THE YORUBA.

NONSENSE. PURE MONESENSE.
OSU IS LIKE A SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASE, IT IS INFECTIOUS AND TRANSFERED THROUGH MARRIAGE.

THAT IS Y U SEE SOME IGBO MARRIED TO YORUBAS.

THEY AND THE YORUBAS ARE OSU.

NONSENSE. PURE NONSENSE

4 Likes

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by ameri9ja: 7:59pm On Feb 14, 2018
letusbepieces:

THEY HAVE ALL HEADED TO YORUBA AND WE WILL NOT HESITATE TO PROSCRIBE YORUBA FROM COMING TO IGBOS FOR MARRIAGE.

ANY IGBO FAMILY THAT DARES MARRY ANY OF THEIR CHILDREN TO YORUBA WILL BE CONDEMN AND REFERED TO AS OSU OPENLY.

IT TAKES ONE MEETING AND ONE ANNOUNCEMENT TO ACCOMPLISH THAT AND BELIEVE ME, MY PEOPLE WILL FLEE FROM YORUBAS LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Raving MAD tribal bigot spotted

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by sexdoll: 8:00pm On Feb 14, 2018
hokafor:
So if dangote is the so called OSu and ask for their daughters hand in marriage, are they going to reject him?my brother go and make money forget OSU or no osu

Easier said than done.

Our culture and traditions is totally binding

Or do you think everyone is as money hungry as your family?
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by dingbang(m): 8:00pm On Feb 14, 2018
sexdoll:

It's our tradition.

If you want to stop it then you must go back several years in time to find out why our fore fore forefathers even started it in the first place

to hell with you people

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by remele2(f): 8:00pm On Feb 14, 2018
u guys are saying OSU in 2018 well i will tell u to try Umeh den ur eye will clear on its own...
u think you are civilised and u can stop it abi?
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Sanchez01: 8:00pm On Feb 14, 2018
LaudableXX:

I no know say you sef, don see am! Make we siddon dey look dem..... cheesy Their prophet Nnamdi Kanu deliberately ignored this issue, when he was in their midst....

What do you expect? shocked Many of them live in denial. sad They will act like an ostrich and bury their heads in the sand, thinking it will go away, instead of taking firm steps to address it. They are quick to spot the flaws in other cultures, but always sly enough to cover the defects inherent in their own.
I think it is sickening and hypocritical because Igbos are culturally inclined and judgemental St the same time. You deny people the joy of being with themselves simply because some criminal elements among you call a fellow human slave and unworthy of social interaction with his peers because the others are freeborn.

You need to have a friend who is affected directly before you would understand the horror of this horrible practice.

Social interactions between the three classes of people in Igboland is still very much alive, as much as they would want to claim that they have evolved and outgrown these practices.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by letusbepieces: 8:01pm On Feb 14, 2018
ameri9ja:

NONSENSE. PURE NONSENSE

ARE U YORUBA?

U ARE BETTER OFF STICKING TO YOUR YORUBA BECOS, IF U JUMP THE FENCE.

U ARE OSU.

ANY IGBO DAT MARRY U IS OSU AND BY EXTENSION U ARE OSU YORUBA.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by ameri9ja: 8:01pm On Feb 14, 2018
sexdoll:

It's our tradition.

We were also throwing away twins and persons with extended stomachs, etc. What's wrong with people like u!!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by sexdoll: 8:02pm On Feb 14, 2018
ameri9ja:
This Osu stuff is proof that some traditions are pure madness. A politician steals in broad daylight and is adulated. While here is a man being stigmatized for something he has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with!!

When the whites are racially stigmatizing the blacks in America and even in Europe, tell me please, how is it the fault of the black man that he is born black?
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by idu1(m): 8:02pm On Feb 14, 2018
If OSU give them money dem go collect undecided

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by AuroraB(f): 8:03pm On Feb 14, 2018
bobokeshington:
There are so many ladies dying to marry an "OSU".... Go look for them!
Eziokwu gi?
Speak for yourself oooo grin
He knows what he should do abeg lipsrsealed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by reuben79: 8:03pm On Feb 14, 2018
kennygee:
This Osu thing still exists in 2018?
pls wat d meaning of osu?elaborate
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by chizpim(m): 8:03pm On Feb 14, 2018
this OSU thing is highly spiritual, for you young generation who don't know anything about it. tribes who don't have OSU in their place the spirit has no effect. put if u have OSU in your village please don't dear to marry them or add farm product to ur own farm. my mother had a female friend (her best friend) she married OSU , the spiritual problem the woman had was unspeakable till she died. she gave birthday to a child partially born less. A woman woman who was full of life and healthy before she married to the OSU family automatically became a product of perpetual sickness. the family had to initial her in the traditional rite for her to b an OSU. The one that really surprised my mother was when she joined her friends cocoyam with her own. although my grand father warned my mum not to do it she instead she will use fertilizer to improve her yield . she did her cultivation add fertilizer to her farm, wow every where was greenish and she was expecting bumper harvest. on the day of harvest , she uproot her cocoyam everything had no tuber in it. my mother was surprise she couldn't alter a word.
this world we see is a very deep place, nothing really has changed it still the same.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by letusbepieces: 8:04pm On Feb 14, 2018
OSU HAVE BEEN THERE BEFORE I WAS BORN AND IT WILL ALWAYS BE THERE.

WE DONT HAVE TO MAKE LEGISLATION, IT IS SELF REGULATORY.

WE WILL MAKE ANNOUNCEMENT AS WITH REGARDS THE OSU YORUBAS AND BAN THEM FROM SPREADING THEIR OSU TO US IGBOS THROUGH MARRIAGE.

DAT IS BAN YORUBA FROM COMING TO MARRY IGBO OR IN IGBO LAND.

ANYBODY THAT GIVES OUT THEIR CHILDREN TO YORUBA WILL BE CONDEMN AS OSU.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by AuroraB(f): 8:04pm On Feb 14, 2018
freedomchild:
He should move on. Though I don't support this OSU stuff the issue is more spiritual and cultural than we think. As for those above saying that they'd marry anyone irrespective of his/her cultural inclination don't know anything.... How can you stop what you don't know it's root...... Better behave
You dey mind them undecided
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by ameri9ja: 8:05pm On Feb 14, 2018
letusbepieces:

ARE U YORUBA?

U ARE BETTER OFF STICKING TO YOUR YORUBA BECOS, IF U JUMP THE FENCE.

U ARE OSU.

U r confused. What has Yoruba or any other non-Igbo have to do with Osu. Even a white man who is completely different has nothing to do with Igbo's foolish Osu system

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by LaudableXX: 8:05pm On Feb 14, 2018
Sanchez01:
I think it is sickening and hypocritical because Igbos are culturally inclined and judgemental St the same time. You deny people the joy of being with themselves simply because some criminal elements among you call a fellow human slave and unworthy of social interaction with his peers because the others are freeborn.

You need to have a friend who is affected directly before you would understand the horror of this horrible practice.

Social interactions between the three classes of people in Igboland is still very much alive, as much as they would want to claim that they have evolved and outgrown these practices.
Ehn? 3 classes?? shocked I thought there were just 2 groups - the "Osu," who are the outcasts, and the "Dialas," who are the freeborns. Who are the 3rd?
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by sunsewa16: 8:05pm On Feb 14, 2018
guy u no get money, go and make money and u see them licking ur ass, have 50millions in ur account, u see dem worship u like kilode.
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by melodyogonna(m): 8:05pm On Feb 14, 2018
Mrkumareze:

Ask your elders bro. Aren't you surprised why it's still in existence despite all effort put in place to abolish it?
ask my elders what? when my village is no longer practicing it!

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by Nobody: 8:05pm On Feb 14, 2018
dingbang:
Let me just mistakenly like an OSU lady and my parents tell me that they arent in support of me marrying her. That day dat day, I dey disown my parents.. angry

Because I am fed up of the way we Africans reason. How can you cal yourself a christian and still believe in OSU caste system.
Culture comes before religion any day, any time. You can decide not to be a Christian today, but you can never stop been your language. Jesus Christ said he didn't come to change the law but to fulfil it. Islam and the Koran are inclined with the Arabian culture. Am a practicing Christian, but my culture comes first before my religion any day, any time. But that doesn't mean I'm in support of the osu bull crap sha.

2 Likes

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by sexdoll: 8:06pm On Feb 14, 2018
ameri9ja:

We were also throwing away twins and persons with extended stomachs, etc. What's wrong with people like u!!

The white man you now want us to be emulating intoto is now marrying two men together.

What the fück is wrong with you biko?
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by dingbang(m): 8:06pm On Feb 14, 2018
ladiesreject:

Culture comes before religion any day, any time. You can decide not to be a Christian today, but you can never stop been your language. Jesus Christ said he didn't come to change the law but to fulfil it. Islam and the Koran are inclined with the Arabian culture. Am a practicing Christian, but my culture comes first before my religion any day, any time. But that doesn't mean I'm in support of the osu bull crap sha.
just hear yourself.. Mchew

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by ameri9ja: 8:06pm On Feb 14, 2018
freedomchild:

How come u could stop other eqyally wicked traditions
Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by letusbepieces: 8:07pm On Feb 14, 2018
ameri9ja:

U r confused. What has Yoruba or any other non-Igbo have to do with Osu. Even a white man who is completely different has nothing to do with Igbo's foolish Osu system

OSU YORUBA!

U MARRY AN OSU, U BECOME OSU.

1 Like

Re: I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals by chizpim(m): 8:07pm On Feb 14, 2018
ameri9ja:

. it can be stopped, it has a process, the whole community has to come together and agree they don't want it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People / Oba of benin Erediauwa Visit The Ooni Of Ife On His Ascension To The Throne / Bode Thomas Died Of Barking After Insulting Alaafin Of Oyo. How True?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.