Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,029 members, 7,807,048 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:56 AM

My Argument Against Feminism - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / My Argument Against Feminism (1576 Views)

The Statement Of Oba Of Benin Has Ended The Ikwerre-igbo Argument. / What Is Wrong With Feminism / The Ancient Feminism (the Female Popes Of Igbo Ethnic Group) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Argument Against Feminism by Matoni: 2:21pm On Feb 15, 2018
While I stand to be correct, Feminism sounds to me like a group of people fighting for equal rights in a biased way.

Wikipedia defines feminism as a range of political movements, ideologies, and social movements that share a common goal: to define, establish and achieve political, economic, personal, and social equality of sexes.

Now this definition only keeps me wondering are feminists the pioneers of equal rights or “social equality of sexes?” cant someone is for the idea of social equality of sexes without being a feminist?

As a man, how do you act as a feminist? You have to listen to women who feel oppressed, call out and condemn hatred against women, use your position to benefit women etc. This again is one-sided because it’s not in the feminist code to listen to men who feel oppressed, call out and condemn hatred against men, use their position to benefit men, etc. For instance, if feminists were truly for equal rights they would advocate for punishment for women who cry rape when there was no rape

I stand to be corrected

cc lalasticlala, seun
Re: My Argument Against Feminism by Nobleking2000(m): 3:03am On Feb 18, 2018
Re: My Argument Against Feminism by Nobody: 8:31pm On Apr 03, 2018
Matoni:
While I stand to be correct, Feminism sounds to me like a group of people fighting for equal rights in a biased way.

Wikipedia defines feminism as a range of political movements, ideologies, and social movements that share a common goal: to define, establish and achieve political, economic, personal, and social equality of sexes.

Now this definition only keeps me wondering are feminists the pioneers of equal rights or “social equality of sexes?” cant someone is for the idea of social equality of sexes without being a feminist?

As a man, how do you act as a feminist? You have to listen to women who feel oppressed, call out and condemn hatred against women, use your position to benefit women etc. This again is one-sided because it’s not in the feminist code to listen to men who feel oppressed, call out and condemn hatred against men, use their position to benefit men, etc. For instance, if feminists were truly for equal rights they would advocate for punishment for women who cry rape when there was no rape

I stand to be corrected

cc lalasticlala, seun
That's where a lot of people are wrong. Feminists are gender equality advocates, which also includes men's rights. I for one am a Liberal Feminist who is totally against false rape accusations and against the societal expectations for men and women to conform to traditional gender roles, jobs etc. It's never been one sided for me. I know many male feminists. Instead of reading Wikipedia, do proper research on feminism and find out what it really is about. Take it from a former anti-feminist

1 Like

Re: My Argument Against Feminism by Matoni: 9:52pm On Apr 03, 2018
trustyshoess:

That's where a lot of people are wrong. Feminists are gender equality advocates, which also includes men's rights. I for one am a Liberal Feminist who is totally against false rape accusations and against the societal expectations for men and women to conform to traditional gender roles, jobs etc. It's never been one sided for me. I know many male feminists. Instead of reading Wikipedia, do proper research on feminism and find out what it really is about. Take it from a former anti-feminist

Thanks for replying. I get your point. Most people are not getting it wrong you only need to get their point too.

Feminism or liberal feminism is like a typical sect. And like the unfortunate case of every sect that might have been formed with good intentions, it sooner or later turns into something else.
Re: My Argument Against Feminism by ChinenyeN(m): 12:42pm On Apr 06, 2018
Feminism is quite literally people advocating that they be allowed to think for themselves and that they be taken seriously for their thoughts and feelings. That the same unwritten protections which exist for free thinking men should also exist for free thinking women. That is feminism.

The thing is, many men (in this recent century) actually do not grow up with severely biased views against women. Likewise, most men don't treat women like unthinking individuals. So, they are left wondering what it is that feminists are demanding when they feel as though they have taken nothing from them.

The response is that men should realize that feminists aren't after them (excluding the aggressive, trigger-happy ones that take offense at the idea of men). Feminists are after the society; the societal institutions which we were all born into. The institutions predate us all, but form the foundation of "institutionalized acts against women".

The statement is broad and vague for a reason, firstly because it can be difficult to categorize the acts, and secondly because no one is more aware of discrimination than those being discriminated against, and it is that population that define the terms of what they would deep acceptable or unacceptable.

2 Likes

Re: My Argument Against Feminism by babasolution: 2:50pm On Apr 07, 2018
ChinenyeN:
Feminism is quite literally people advocating that they be allowed to think for themselves and that they be taken seriously for their thoughts and feelings. That the same unwritten protections which exist for free thinking men should also exist for free thinking women. That is feminism.

The thing is, many men (in this recent century) actually do not grow up with severely biased views against women. Likewise, most men don't treat women like unthinking individuals. So, they are left wondering what it is that feminists are demanding when they feel as though they have taken nothing from them.

The response is that men should realize that feminists aren't after them (excluding the aggressive, trigger-happy ones that take offense at the idea of men). Feminists are after the society; the societal institutions which we were all born into. The institutions predate us all, but form the foundation of "institutionalized acts against women".

The statement is broad and vague for a reason, firstly because it can be difficult to categorize the acts, and secondly because no one is more aware of discrimination than those being discriminated against, and it is that population that define the terms of what they would deep acceptable or unacceptable.

feminist just want to break down male built society,but i hope they have a better option because the society feminist are producing doesnt seem better
Re: My Argument Against Feminism by ChinenyeN(m): 8:59pm On Apr 07, 2018
babasolution:
feminist just want to break down male built society,but i hope they have a better option because the society feminist are producing doesnt seem better

They do not have a better option. In short, there is no better option. I hate to have to be the nihilist, but there is no perfect human society that will cater to everyone or be a 100% inclusive civilization. With that, feminists shouldn't have to be required to provide a "better option". Besides, that's highly subjective for the fact that humans differ substantially in their wants.

And looking at it from the eyes of those experiencing discrimination, there is no true incentive for them to provide an option that men feel is better just for them (women) to be at a loss again. So any option that they provide will undoubtedly be centered around their benefit, as they are the ones wanting to escape discrimination.

Long story short, again, the core of what feminist want IS FOR WOMEN to be consistently treated as free thinking members of society and be taken seriously for their thoughts and feelings. That alone is not "danger" for men.

1 Like

Re: My Argument Against Feminism by Matoni: 8:19am On Nov 11, 2019
is it that just being a gender equality advocate is not enough? The whole feminist thing is similar to a religious sect; claiming to be the same but in practice, are not. That phrase you used: "I for one" says it all added to the fact that there are many kinds of feminism makes it clear that feminism is not all good. Why not just stick to being just? there has never or seldom been a walk against "false rape accusation".
trustyshoess:

Re: My Argument Against Feminism by Cousin9999: 2:39am On Nov 15, 2019
1. Grow up.
2. You don't seem to like women. Do you like men?

(1) (Reply)

I Have A Hometown! / Egungun Festival In Ita-ogbolu, Akure Ondo State / How Much Is A Carat Moissanite Ring?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.