Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,889 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:57 AM

Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On (27213 Views)

Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO / Car Overheats In Traffic / Radiator Fan Only Works When AC Is Switched On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by Ericomoto(m): 12:31pm On Apr 22, 2010
Fellow Nairalanders, I drive a Nissan Xterra 2003 model which I bought last year, the car has been performing reliably well until 2 week ago when it starts to overheat whenever the aircon is on for like 20-30minutes. This started after I worked on carrying out repairs on the AC when I noticed the AC was no longer cooling,I had to change some pipes and refill the gas, ever since I have not enjoyed the car with AC. If AC is not on there is no overheating even if I drive the car for a whole day. Please I need your advice on what could have gone wrong and what I need to do to remedy the situation.
Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by deor03(m): 12:37pm On Apr 22, 2010
Check your radiator Fan.

The relay must have been tampered with or the Fan itself , so it is not blowing @ at expected revolution.

This is my layman's advice
Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by Ericomoto(m): 12:48pm On Apr 22, 2010
deor03:

Check your radiator Fan.

The relay must have been tampered with or the Fan itself , so it is not blowing @ at expected revolution.

This is my layman's advice

Thanks for your advice. I have checked the rdaiator fan and it is rotating and blowing but need to confirm if it is at the expected revolution.
Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by Ericomoto(m): 5:02pm On Apr 22, 2010
Pls advice oh!
Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by Ericomoto(m): 8:35pm On Apr 23, 2010
I need advice of what to do from my car guru friends.
Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by ALAKANNI(m): 8:17am On Apr 24, 2010
@ Ericomoto, I have gone thro this before, and these are things your technician need to look at:
1. Check your a/c condenser whether it is dirty, if it is dirty go and flush it. Condenser is that Thing in front of radiator that also looks like radiator.
2. Check the speed of your radiator fan and also check the direction d fan is blowing.
3. Go and flush your radiator.
I wish you luck.
Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by Ericomoto(m): 1:21pm On Apr 24, 2010
ALAKANNI:

@ Ericomoto, I have gone thro this before, and these are things your technician need to look at:
1. Check your a/c condenser whether it is dirty, if it is dirty go and flush it. Condenser is that Thing in front of radiator that also looks like radiator.
2. Check the speed of your radiator fan and also check the direction d fan is blowing.
3. Go and flush your radiator.
I wish you luck.

@ALAKANNI,Thanks for the advice I will see my technician today.
Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by ChiefD(m): 8:43pm On Apr 24, 2010
@Ericomoto
I have an infiniti QX4 that when I drive with AC on in a hold up, it starts overheating BUT that stops when I switch off the AC.

What I now did was to buy a fan for the Condenser (Im assuming yours also did not come with one too); this fan will be placed in front of the condenser (You wil have to remove the front gril and the bonnet opener to place it then replace those back.

It will be connected to the AC switch wire - this starts it anytime the AC is on. Infiniti is Nissan and the QX4 and Xterra are more or less the same. The overheating stopped immediatelyt the fan was installed.

The fan costs only N2,500 (including transportation, so dont let them trick you)

Very important tip:
On installation, the fan can blow both ways depending on the connection of the positive and negative wires, the best and only efficient way is for the fan to blow air towards the condenser.

One good way to test is this, on connection (You have to be there), hold a piece of paper in front of the fan, It should suck the paper inwards, and not blow it away.
Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by seal777(m): 11:24pm On Apr 24, 2010
from experience, check the fans if they are working fine then get a steam radiator and condender wash and i am sure u will be ok.

Have them remove the radiator to get good access to the radiator and the condenser to flush them thru, 800od a 1000 naira will do the magic.
Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by IykeD(m): 11:32pm On Apr 24, 2010
Also check if the AC and Radiator fans are connected to one relay, if so, it will be wise to separate them.This happened to me some weeks ago though on a Honda Car.Cheers!
Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by ESEL: 2:31am On Apr 25, 2010
FOR YOUR MOBILE DIAGNOSTIC SERVICE ON YOUR CAR, CALL 08035496482 or 08055673680. We will Diagnose your Car and get back your Car in good shape anywhere (Mobile Service).

Never Neglect Lights such as; CHECK ENGINE, ABS, SRS AIRBAG, MAINTENANCE REQUIRED, TRAC ON and the rest.

We are trained for all these.

Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by Ericomoto(m): 11:06am On Apr 26, 2010
@Chief_D,Seal777and IykeD etal. I appreciate your support and advice they really worked magic. The car is OK now, I got the radiator and condenser flushed and the problem has been solved. Just like Chief_D suggested, my Technician suggested I put a fan on the condenser which I will do by next weekend.It was really uncomfortable driving without AC when the weather is hot. Thank you all

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by Arizona1: 7:30am On Apr 27, 2010
I like this forum because we have powerful, experienced and reliable gentlemen here.

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by seal777(m): 9:36am On Apr 27, 2010
i have come to understand that information is power,i have saved thousands of naira on car expenses since i started using nairaland autos forum.

Guys should come up with possible car problems and ways of solving them rather than just posting cars for sale and hustling for buyers.

@poster,

go yeh into the road and enjoy ur car.
Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by Ericomoto(m): 10:03am On Apr 27, 2010
seal777:

i have come to understand that information is power,i have saved thousands of naira on car expenses since i started using nairaland autos forum.

Guys should come up with possible car problems and ways of solving them rather than just posting cars for sale and hustling for buyers.

@poster,

go yeh into the road and enjoy your car.

Thanks. I enjoy your support.
Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by Onwan: 10:59am On Apr 27, 2010
Nice one! Enjoy your ride. (Chief_D)
Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by jfking2005(m): 12:26pm On Apr 27, 2010
@poster,

enjoy ur ride man!!!

this is a best place to be!

it saves cost so much more
Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by chelseabmw(m): 1:39pm On Apr 27, 2010
good advise here
Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by paduzy(m): 2:54am On Apr 28, 2010
@ Iyk,

heard you are interested in mens wears at wholesale prices? Please let me know if you do like to check out our stuffs coming into Lagos next week?

got your contact from tsmith

Have a nice one

paduzy
Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by phoneworks: 1:43am On Jun 05, 2010
How can I differentiate factory fitted AC from locally fixed.
Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by seal777(m): 9:35am On Jun 05, 2010
i will advice you open a fresh thread to get the best of advice.

thanks
Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jul 07, 2013
who/ where do i go to flush the radiator?
Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by lurvy: 1:02am On Nov 14, 2013
[size=14pt]"I need your help. I own ǻ nissan xterra 2000 and I have been experiencing this hesistence in initiate speed from ǻ stop. I mean if I slow down @ ǻ speed breaker or checkpoint to accelerate up to speed goes with low sound and reving up to 3000rpm and the car just jerks forward and rpm comes down to 1500, sound reduce and car picks up speed. The service engine light is on so I did ǻ scan and got these codes : PO325, PO141,PO161,PO160 . I was adviced to check the exhaust system which I did and sealed the opening but though the sound reduced but the hesistence and single jerk is still there. Please what can I do? The fuel consumption has increased markedly to like four times normal... Am in bayelsa state! I need your candid advice and help"[/size]

I saw the above post on one of the threads but nobody has responded to it; Please can someone provide an answer to the above post for the poster, I also want to learn from it because I own a 2005 nissan xterra which seems to jerk forward when moving from a stationary position on stepping on the throttle and doesnt accelerate fast enough from first gear. thanks house.
Re: Help!! My Car Overheats When Ac Is On by gentlered: 9:57am On Dec 11, 2015
I had same issues recently after some crazy mechs worked on my car. The tampered with my electricals and I started having overheating issues.
After much ado, I recalled that this issue started after the stupid mechs job. I had to change my radiator hose, worked on radiator fan and finally did some other jobs, yet the overheating continued.
It's just by miracle that stormed on this thread and went back to my car. I discovered that the AC condenser fan wasn't working Which causes over heating of the engine anytime I turn the AC on.
I Called an auto electrician to rewire the whole connection and even added an extra condenser fan to it.
Now my car AC cools like a Fish cold room.
Thanks to the intelligent members of this thread.
Long live Nairaland.

(1) (Reply)

2014 Toyota Highlander Unveiled / Ingrace Motors Obtains FG Approval To Assemble Cars In Nigeria / Porsche’s First Station Wagon Supercar (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.