Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,943 members, 7,799,199 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:54 PM

Are Manual Transmissions Really Safer And Easier To Maintain Than Auto? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Are Manual Transmissions Really Safer And Easier To Maintain Than Auto? (1469 Views)

Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? / Is Lexus ES 330 Truly Hard To Maintain? / Japanese Cars Cost More To Maintain Than European Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Manual Transmissions Really Safer And Easier To Maintain Than Auto? by ogbiwa: 10:03am On Feb 16, 2018
Is it possible to settle this notion once and for all especially for some intending car owners.

I've heard it said severally, even by some auto gurus, that manual trannys are safer, last longer, hardly disappoints and generally easier to maintain than auto trannys.

Note I'm not talking about which is more convenient to use here. But which is a generally better option. Or are there models that should generally be avoided for manual/auto transmission?

From personal experience, I've used several newer model cars, auto tranny, where the transmission has failed on one occasion in atleast two of the cars. One was a corolla, almost had to change the entire gearbox, the other an Accord, had to sell the car like that because of it. And yet I see manual '92 mazda and datsun used by taxi drivers and I hardly hear the transmission failed.

Also recently heard another car guru say manual trannys are not necessarily safer than auto.
Let's try getting a firm grip on this argument shall we, and also learn more in the process.

cc Ikenna351; Gazzuz; Marpol; Lalasticlala
Re: Are Manual Transmissions Really Safer And Easier To Maintain Than Auto? by nurey(m): 11:29am On Feb 16, 2018
Manual transmission is easier to maintain than auto, you may not change fluid in manual tranny for 10years and it won't disappoint.

As for safer, non surpasses the other if you miscalculate while driving whether manual or auto, you will pay for it.

Some manufacturers cars have been touted to be better in manual {Peugeot, Nissan murano, quest} than auto or cvt.

I like manual because it's easier to
1. Apply engine brake quickly incase of emergency than automatic.
2. Utilize a power band to achieve a feat. Imagine overtaking a trailer uphill, you can leave the gear in 3 for manual and utilize the power but auto will shift higher or can even downshift if engine power isn't enough.
3. Start car with low voltage battery

2 Likes

Re: Are Manual Transmissions Really Safer And Easier To Maintain Than Auto? by luvinhubby(m): 9:01pm On Feb 16, 2018
nurey:
Manual transmission is easier to maintain than auto, you may not change fluid in manual tranny for 10years and it won't disappoint.

As for safer, non surpasses the other if you miscalculate while driving whether manual or auto, you will pay for it.

Some manufacturers cars have been touted to be better in manual {Peugeot, Nissan murano, quest} than auto or cvt.

2. Utilize a power band to achieve a feat. Imagine overtaking a trailer uphill, you can leave the gear in 3 for manual and utilize the power but auto will shift higher or can even downshift if engine power isn't enough.

And in case of brake failures, you can downshift to reduce speed drastically.

1 Like

Re: Are Manual Transmissions Really Safer And Easier To Maintain Than Auto? by mejai(m): 9:41pm On Feb 16, 2018
I don't even know where the manual transmission fluid is positioned in my 2008 Toyota corolla grin. Car is 10yrs, with almost 190k km, engine is still tight. Travels anyhow.

1 Like

Re: Are Manual Transmissions Really Safer And Easier To Maintain Than Auto? by Sunymoore(m): 7:54am On Feb 17, 2018
mejai:
I don't even know where the manual transmission fluid is positioned in my 2008 Toyota corolla grin. Car is 10yrs, with almost 190k km, engine is still tight. Travels anyhow.
Preach on brother.. Pontiac vibe 2004 with 6 years on naija road still cruising.. Gear oil is pink AF, and the car downshifts with anger hitting 5K RPM..
Mileage: 197,548 MILES
Re: Are Manual Transmissions Really Safer And Easier To Maintain Than Auto? by Nobody: 3:59am On Feb 18, 2018
nurey:

Starting with your number 3... Don't ever try such on an Audi with dual mass flywheel.... Now this argument is neither here nor there. Except you are comparing same vehicle model with different transmissions.
Re: Are Manual Transmissions Really Safer And Easier To Maintain Than Auto? by Nobody: 4:01am On Feb 18, 2018
mejai:
Mercedes Benz W201 124 202 210 123 can stay over 25 years without you tampering with the aforementioned.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Am About To Pay For This Car / Can The Peugeot 504 Outrun The Mercedez Benz W123 230e ? / Car In Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.