Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,915 members, 7,806,659 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:02 PM

Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? (22265 Views)

How True Is This Myth About Honda And Toyota Car Engines? (pictures) / Long Queue In Gombe As Fuel Arrives Filling Station (Pictures & Video) / Moment A Confused Lady Tries To Fill Her Tesla With Petrol At A Filling Station (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:46am On Feb 17, 2018
CaptainFM1:
In as much as we are not going to carry a meter around to measure static charges, its is imperative to prevent every likely/potential medium that could lead to explosion. No use of cell phones, no smoking etc are just few to mention.

Also, why do they say, no use of phones in planes? Its not like the plane will blow up! It's all this little safety measures and precautions that prevents catastrophic incidents. Accident don't just happen! It builds up, and just a final trigger compounds it!

No use of cellphones in planes is because of electromagnetic interference with sensitive equipments during takeoff and landing.

1 Like

Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by stblessing(f): 8:51am On Feb 17, 2018
I don't think its a myth because I've heard about two stories where a call was made and the entire place exploded
Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by Lsofdk(m): 8:54am On Feb 17, 2018

In this regard, some experts stated that whenever an individual moves in and out of the car during re-fuelling of his vehicle, he actually carries the charge of approximately 60,000 volts. Therefore, it is wise enough to leave the cell phone in the vehicle while going for its petrol filling.

After gaining the industry knowledge that using a cell phone while pumping petrol won’t burst into flames. Still, it is a good idea to leave this device in the car, keeping in mind the surroundings and the other vehicles at the petrol station.

Oziahete:
I have watched a program where it was put to test and there was no explosion. So brethren, this is another great myth busted.
don4real18:
Phones can't cause explosions... The myth has been busted
I think you may want to pay attention to the concluding paragraphs… don't test the devil

1 Like

Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by goldfish80(m): 8:55am On Feb 17, 2018
This is not a myth. My first cousin suffered 2nd degree burn caused by explosion ignited by a cell phone signal he used as flash light to start up a generator back in 2009. He spent 5 months at the Portharcourt teaching hospital.
Be warned.

2 Likes

Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by Nobody: 9:08am On Feb 17, 2018
All these things really need trial as per myth buster stuvs.Dan wo lo bi iya okere.A trial will convince you or blow you away.
Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by CaptainFM1: 9:10am On Feb 17, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

No use of cellphones in planes is because of electromagnetic interference with sensitive equipments during takeoff and landing.

Yeah, you are right and many thanks for reminding everyone... That's why I said those are little safety and precautionary measures put in place.

Anything that can go wrong will go wrong(Murphy's Law).....But you still have to do your best to prevent it.
Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by Fortunetech: 9:11am On Feb 17, 2018
Good write up. To me is a sheer myth. Thank you #braavo
Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by akmath: 9:13am On Feb 17, 2018
Ignorance is a disease...

Oga cell phones cause explosion don't be deceived...
Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by CaptainFM1: 9:24am On Feb 17, 2018
Fortunetech:
Good write up.
To me is a sheer myth.
Thank you
#braavo

It is not a myth. And I'm telling u this because I love your life!
Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by StreetKingEnt: 9:31am On Feb 17, 2018
So very True.. I have checked several reviews online and what several myth-busters on this issue.. CellPhones cant cause gas / fuel explosions..
Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by judgedredd22(m): 9:33am On Feb 17, 2018
Benz4pimp:
Really do not know how to answer your question!!i went to refill my gas cylinder yesterday and the guy kept receiving several calls,I was wondering how e managed to cheat an explosion

explosion only occurs/is triggered in the presence of exposed fumes!
Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by StreetKingEnt: 9:41am On Feb 17, 2018
Now Few Myths That you may believe its True

A Lite Cigarette can NEVER ignite Fuel / Gasoline

Shooting At A Car can NEVER cause it to explode, Even if you get 20 Bullets pass the Fuel Tank

A Burning Car CAN NEVER Explode to Pieces, We have all seen cars burning in real life, even Tankers... After the Flames.. Which of them dont still have their chassis intact
Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by Nobody: 9:51am On Feb 17, 2018
Instructions are path way to life. If they say no phone, please turn off your phones. Even on generator sets, there is a no phone sign on them.
Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by Obdk: 10:39am On Feb 17, 2018
cell phone cause explosion in petrol stations.

pls stop delving into topics you dont understand...

shebi u run from science class in ur senior secondary school.
so why re u entering into wetin pass u
Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by ItzEminence(m): 10:52am On Feb 17, 2018
Nothing is impossible in this our Country Nigeria since A snake can Jejely swallow #36mil
Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by FrankGiel: 10:59am On Feb 17, 2018
stblessing:
I don't think its a myth because I've heard about two stories where a call was made and the entire place exploded
Just as you said, they are Stories. One of the greatest lessons I have learnt in life is to believe a story without real logical /scientific backing.. We will just chase shadows... The fact that an eye witness saw something doesn't make me it true.. Most witnesses base their conclusions on what they have been told in the past..
Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by Nobody: 11:23am On Feb 17, 2018
judgedredd22:

explosion only occurs/is triggered in the presence of exposed fumes!
Did you read what I wrote at all?
Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Feb 17, 2018
AutoReportNG:
Whenever someone visits a petrol station for the fueling of their vehicle, they often encounter the signboard warning against the use of cell phone. Such prohibition signs are actually put up by the officials of the petrol station, as they believe that cell phones can cause the explosion. However, the researchers have not assured the occurrence of any such event due to the mobile phones. In order to figure it out, let’s delve deeper into the theory explaining the repercussion of using a cell phone while pumping petrol.

Can Cell Phones Cause Explosion?

In order to understand this, it is essential to first look into the working and manufacturing of the cell phone. So, what exactly is this small device?

Basically, the cell phone is a device, which consists of countless electric components, responsible for communicating with network towers. Although there are no wires in-between still there is a two-way communication that takes place through the electromagnetic waves. These waves actually travel within a certain radio frequency, which lets the making and receiving of calls possible. And, it is these waves, which can cause the spark and ignite the petrol at the station.

However, as far any experiment is concerned, there is no proof of the cell phones causing the fire at the petrol station. This is because mobile phones do not have the sufficient battery-voltage that can lead to the fire at any petrol pump. Even if it happens then, it is concluded that the defective batteries of the vehicle or the mobile phone can be the reason behind it.

Static Electricity: The Real Culprit

Using cell phone while pumping petrol may not ignite fire but the static electricity can. This electricity is, in fact, enough even in the small amount to ignite the petrol vapors.

Usually, people are careful while filling up the petrol in their vehicle, as it is quite expensive. However, the vapors of this fuel still surround the nozzle of the pump, even when not in use. Once these vapors are ignited, it can cause this ignition to travel where the petrol is present in large amount. And, the very next minute it can cause a big boom at the petrol station.

In this regard, some experts stated that whenever an individual moves in and out of the car during re-fuelling of his vehicle, he actually carries the charge of approximately 60,000 volts. Therefore, it is wise enough to leave the cell phone in the vehicle while going for its petrol filling.

After gaining the industry knowledge that using a cell phone while pumping petrol won’t burst into flames. Still, it is a good idea to leave this device in the car, keeping in mind the surroundings and the other vehicles at the petrol station.

Credit:
Google, Industry Knowledge, CFJ

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2018/02/fact-or-myth-can-cellphone-cause.html

The Myth busters on discovery channel have busted this myth long ago. It ain't true. Cell phones don't cause explosions in gas stations
Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Feb 17, 2018
stblessing:
its a myth.

If its true, ALL filling stations will explode daily.
Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by PotatoSalad(m): 7:10pm On Feb 17, 2018
Watch the last episode of Scorpion. It was explained there by Ralph
Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by 4somm: 10:49pm On Jul 08, 2018
All these are grammatical nonsense. I know at least two people who have died by this. one was using it in the kitchen while cooking and the other at the gas station. Theory is good but now i'm talking reality. there are lots of Chinese knock-offs phones in the market now.

What are the things to be kept in mind while buying mobile phones?
Buy a branded phone as far as possible. Ensure that the phone has a proper IMEI number, which is a code that identifies each phone. Check that the number on the phone corresponds to that on the box and receipts.
It is considered wise to check the accessories such as earphones, battery and charger. Make sure the battery description such as voltage value matches with that of the charger to avoid overcharging which sometimes lead to explosion of handset. (https://www.gadgetsnow.com/tech-news/Why-do-cellphones-explode-and-how-to-prevent-it/articleshow/32100765.cms)
Re: Fact Or Myth: Can Cellphone Cause Explosion At A Filling Station? by Originalsly: 3:42am On Jul 09, 2018
don4real18:

Phones can't cause explosions... The myth has been busted
Really?....then no cellphones signs should be taken down.
Go to. You Tube Cell phone causes explosion/Shell petrol tanker
then modify your comment.

(1) (2) (Reply)

These Are Top 5 Expensive Car Problems That Are Not Worth Fixing If They Go Bad / Pls Help: Catalytic Converter Missing In Exhaust Pipe / What Is The Maximum Speed You Have Ever Attained While Driving A Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.