Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,673 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:13 PM

Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill (45818 Views)

Buhari Rejects Electoral Bill Again / Buhari Rejects Files, Orders Aides To Meet Osinbajo / Senate Drops Nigerian Peace Corps Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by neolboy(m): 1:09pm On Feb 17, 2018
chaii
Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by seanswitch(m): 1:10pm On Feb 17, 2018
They surely don't have the money to fund another security apparatus at this time.
Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by Nobody: 1:12pm On Feb 17, 2018
What of the 40k they paid?
Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by Gilbus1(m): 1:12pm On Feb 17, 2018
dodelight:
in my own opinion, now that the state governments and even the fg are crying for state police, why don't they simply convert this peace corps to that? sincerely, we don't need a new security outfit at the federal level, the existing ones are already being abused

Wise thought

1 Like

Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by imstrong1: 1:13pm On Feb 17, 2018
nawtyme:
They should change their name to cattle Corp or fulani Corp and watch magic happen
grin
Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by lakesider(m): 1:17pm On Feb 17, 2018
What's d different between peace corp and nscdc .
Nigerians need to use their brain

1 Like

Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by metroid(m): 1:24pm On Feb 17, 2018
Dickson okoh should establish mechanized farms with the billions of Naira with him. "When one road close another way must open". He can make a much bigger impact on the youths with agriculture, the thousands of loyal manpower at his disposal can feed this nation.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by Obierika(m): 1:38pm On Feb 17, 2018
omenkaLives:
Take your time. He's a hustler not a scammer. angry

LOL

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by Humblega(m): 1:39pm On Feb 17, 2018
90% of pple dat ave enrolled and paid #40k+ for d NPC self dont even knw d purpose of d body. I asked one of dem d role dey will b playing in d society. He told me dat dey will b settling community dispute and going to secondary school to encourage youth to dissociate from thuggery and other vices. Funny response!!!

My point: some paramillitary self should b merge. Like nscdc can be a department under police. We need to cut cost and channels more % of budget to capital project, education , agriculture..

If okon is successful with ds .....i bet it, b expecting another person to follow d format in next few years

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by etenyong(m): 1:42pm On Feb 17, 2018
I know some of my relatives and friends who had spent thousands of Naira so far on this NPC scam. They keep demanding from the innocent job seekers in the name of employment.
Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by sholly246: 1:43pm On Feb 17, 2018
It pains me when an issue based on assumption is been published and we fail to understand the content of it. the rejection of the bill that was published is it from spokeman to the President or the President himself

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by Realdeals(m): 1:45pm On Feb 17, 2018
A friend of mine who's so engrossed with the Peace corporation issue and has even paid the N40k, told me they were asked to pay another N10k each to lobby the NASS.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by rhidollah(m): 1:47pm On Feb 17, 2018
its a scam
Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by excel101(m): 2:00pm On Feb 17, 2018
edoman2016:
Peace corps is not needed. It's a paramilitary founded by jobless persons. Enough of duplication of duty. We have police, DSS, civil defence, NIA, EFCC, Army, etc. Rather state police is more needed in Nigeria than Peace corps.
Its the trigger happy policemen, corrupt policemen, that are needed, abi?
Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by clily: 2:05pm On Feb 17, 2018
What wil happen to my 40k and the 20k I paid for rank cry cry cry
Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by okerekeikpo: 2:20pm On Feb 17, 2018
Thunder fire Buhari for rejecting peace corps bill, I been think say the guy get brain sef but goat good pass am
Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by ndiboy01(m): 2:24pm On Feb 17, 2018
edoman2016:
Peace corps is not needed. It's a paramilitary founded by jobless persons. Enough of duplication of duty. We have police, DSS, civil defence, NIA, EFCC, Army, etc. Rather state police is more needed in Nigeria than Peace corps.
edoman2016:
edoman2016:

The herdsmen already had automatic bill confirmed
Wit herdsmen inclusive we av d DSS, civil defense , army, efcc, NIA, and buhari milita group "herdsmen
Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by ndiboy01(m): 2:25pm On Feb 17, 2018
007author:
Peace Corps is not needed. We have lots of paramilitary outfit already.

So is d herdsmen that is needed ??
007author:

007author:

Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by abbasajao(m): 2:26pm On Feb 17, 2018
westlius:
Y won't he reject it when it is a southerner that is controller of peace corps
#Buhari back to Duara 2019#

When critical issues are being discussed, ensure you see beyond ethnicity.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by temi1526: 2:26pm On Feb 17, 2018
RIGHT OF REPLY

RE: BUHARI REJECTS NIGERIAN PEACE CORPS BILL.

When our attention was drawn to the aforementioned report in the Vanguard Newspaper of Saturday, February 17, 2018, which was written by Mr. Soni Daniel, the Northern Regional Editor of the Newspaper and Mr. Emman Ovuakkporie, our initial reaction was that of disbelief.

But after reading the entire report, it suddenly dawned on us that the authors deliberately elected to sensationalize the caption with a view to selling the Newspaper and on that note; we wish to assure the teeming members of the Peace Corps of Nigeria and millions of our well-wishers nationwide that the writers merely embarked on a voyage of interpretation of the Constitution.

The truth of the matter is that out of about nine Bills that were transmitted to the President together with that of the Nigerian Peace Corps, the President rejected three and returned same to the National Assembly (NASS), stating reasons why he rejected them. And of course, the Nigerian Peace Corps Bill was not part of the rejected ones.

We are not unaware of the grand conspiracy by some security agencies against the Peace Corps, especially the Police, Department of State Services (DSS) and Civil Defence in their adversarial memos to the Presidency to thwart assent to the Bill. This conspiracy, which was also manifested in form of opposition during the Public Hearings conducted by both chambers of the NASS on the Bill, was roundly defeated by superior arguments of over 500 Oral and written Memoranda submitted during the Public Hearings in the NASS.

The major plank of this conspiracy is that the functions of the Nigerian Peace Corps (NPC) Bill overlap that of the Nigerian Police and Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), which is far from the truth. (Nigerians should watch out for our full page advertorial on this issue in The Nation, The Sun, Daily Trust and Tribune Newspapers on Monday, 19th February, 2018). The advertorial clearly articulates the statutory functions of the Police, Civil Defence and that of the Nigerian Peace Corps.

We wish to correct the erroneous impression created by this report, whose contents are just the authors’ interpretation of the provisions of the law, President Muhammadu Buhari GCFR, has not assented to or rejected the NPC Bill. And if even the President rejects the Bill, he will communicate same to the NASS, stating reason(s) for doing so.

Moreover, the Spokespersons of both chambers of the NASS, Senator Sabi Abdullahi (Senate) and Hon. Abdulrazak Namdas (House of Representatives) have clarified the issues as far as the law on this matter is concerned.

The authors also questioned the legal status of the Peace Corps, a position that smacks of mischief. For purpose of clarity, Peace Corps of Nigeria was duly incorporated by the Corporate Affairs Commission under the Companies and Allied Matters Act Cap 1990, Part C as Nigerian Leadership and Marshal Corps, but changed to Peace Corps of Nigeria in 2002 in accordance with the Companies and Allied Matters Act. So, its legality has never been called to question and even if the Bill is not assented to, that will not stop it from functioning as an entity. The Bill is essentially to give statutory backing to the Corps.

That this report is coming out a few days after the House Committee on Public Petition gave the Corps directive to take-over its Headquarters that has been under lock and key by the Police since February 2017, a directive that was almost executed before the intervention of the FCT Commissioner of Police, is suspicious. How sad!

Sadder still is that in spite of several Court judgments pronouncing Peace Corps as a legal entity, including recent verdicts by two different Federal High Courts judges, the antagonists of the Corps have continued to disregard these valid Orders by refusing to unseal the Peace Corps office. So much for the Rule of Law!

In conclusion, we request all PCN Stakeholders and indeed the entire Nigerian youth to disregard any erroneous, malicious and none-evidence based information against the peace corps of Nigeria.

signed:Milicent Umoru.(PRO)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by peacebe1815: 2:56pm On Feb 17, 2018
Firefire:
Mohomodu Buhary if you will not achieve anything in your Four-year administration, please append your signature to the NPC bill asap.

Thanks in advance to the dullard-in-Chief.

Sai barber!

Some people can not be taking serious in this forum. If I may ask, what do we need peace corp for? What other duties do they want to offer that Police, Civil Defence, etc are not doing already? Enough of this duplication of duty with various paramilitary without peculiar mandate.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by Adefemiaderoju1: 2:56pm On Feb 17, 2018
We should rather go for state policing than this bullshit
Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by Rolings: 3:08pm On Feb 17, 2018
eTECTIVe:
Even d Civil defence corp dat was set up is lying redundant with officers jus sitting down doing nothing except for d ones excorting other agencies
Let me educate you a little......that civil defence among other powers it has regulates and licence private security outfits.....in my opinion you are wrong to have said civil defence is redundant

1 Like

Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by OGHENAOGIE(m): 3:20pm On Feb 17, 2018
commoditiesnig:

I absolutely agree with above comments.
Simply duplication of paramilitary outfits
affirmative restructure the country and let's have state police with community police criteria for employment shd be state of residence abeg dst useless state of origin make we kill am
Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by fabregas04(m): 3:29pm On Feb 17, 2018
Realdeals:
A friend of mine who's so engrossed with the Peace corporation issue and has even paid the N40k, told me they were asked to pay another N10k each to lobby the NASS.
the said 10k was paid within d last 2weeks or thereabout, i know of a friend that paid too, asked them to pay another 10k by Mar, they wld still go ahead and pay, i dont just understand youths of nowadays self.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by Nasir123(m): 3:37pm On Feb 17, 2018
dodelight:
in my own opinion, now that the state governments and even the fg are crying for state police, why don't they simply convert this peace corps to that? sincerely, we don't need a new security outfit at the federal level, the existing ones are already being abused

That's all!

No need for wastage.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by eTECTIVe(m): 3:42pm On Feb 17, 2018
Rolings:

Let me educate you a little......that civil defence among other powers it has regulates and licence private security outfits.....in my opinion you are wrong to have said civil defence is redundant

Oga dey are very redundant... Go to d various state and local govt posts and stations and tell me what dey do there

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by Oheji1: 3:45pm On Feb 17, 2018
Many of you are saying PMB is right this time , do you consider what he would have done if this organization was an initiative of a northernan? most of us particularly the southerners are in oblivion politically when issues like this are playing out.
Do you also remember that many of our youths are on the street with so much expectations on NPC? Since Nig is structured to operates as it's, let there be more paramilitary outfits or better still use them as state police.

Maybe there's hope for Nig.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by Nasir123(m): 3:48pm On Feb 17, 2018
westlius:
Y won't he reject it when it is a southerner that is controller of peace corps
#Buhari back to Duara 2019#

Take it easy with yourself o!

Is Benue now part of the South? cool
Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by Nasir123(m): 3:57pm On Feb 17, 2018
Oheji1:
Many of you are saying PMB is right this time , do you consider what he would have done if this organization was an initiative of a northernan? most of us particularly the southerners are in oblivion politically when issues like this are playing out.
Do you also remember that many of our youths are on the street with so much expectations on NPC? Since Nig is structured to operates as it's, let there be more paramilitary outfits or better still use them as state police.

Maybe there's hope for Nig.

What is your problemmm?
Is Benue now part of the south?

Na wa o!
Re: Buhari Rejects Nigerian Peace Corps Bill by valentineuwakwe(m): 4:00pm On Feb 17, 2018
I dnt get the buhari in all this...I thought this govt is aimed at creating jobs, and this bill would have created at least 5 million jobs nationwide......maybe the police is still bent on frustrating these organization but they should know that was how they did it to FRSC and civil defense but today these two agancies are best repeated than the Nigerian police force...one thing I understand is that time for honouring them will be over one day....

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Protests In Benin As INEC Announces Results (Photos Video) / President Buhari And CBN Governor Godwin Emefiele Arrives Addis Ababa / 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.