Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,685 members, 7,801,974 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:17 AM

What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? (23408 Views)

5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car / Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car / 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by Afelay(m): 9:44am On Feb 18, 2018
chiscodedon:

Nah
It's advisable you go for Pack when on hold up
Yes it is advisable to draw the gear to pack and take off your leg on the brake pedal. In other to make the engine life cycle last longer
Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by magicfingers009: 9:46am On Feb 18, 2018
MrJames007:
True. But some rides can't shift from park to neutral if the engine isn't running tho. Most drivers are fond of shifting the gear to park instead of neutral while in a hold up, you know.
I disagree. There's a little slot besides the gear. Once you get the lid off and insert the car key inside the slot, you would be able to change the gear without the car being on.

I use neutral everyday esp in traffic. The journey between D and P is too far. I just place it in Neutral and apply my handbrakes.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by ryd3(m): 9:46am On Feb 18, 2018
Well, I recently upgraded from a manual to automatic, and still use the neutral in holdups. Until I read this thread, I never knew people hardly use it. For me, it reduces the stress of pushing the gear to park every 30 seconds or so in traffic... Oyinbo wey put am for una motor no de craze

1 Like

Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by seenter84: 9:49am On Feb 18, 2018
OkunrinMeta:

Why not use the Park and the handbrake?

If someone nack u from behind.
U gear go break...
Lol
Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by MrJames007: 10:04am On Feb 18, 2018
magicfingers009:

I disagree. There's a little slot besides the gear. Once you get the lid off and insert the car key inside the slot, you would be able to change the gear without the car being on.

I use neutral everyday esp in traffic. The journey between D and P is too far. I just place it in Neutral and apply my handbrakes.
Yes. I am aware of that. Not every driver knows that, and I don't think that method works with rides with the electronic shift system you know.
Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by maxiuc(m): 10:08am On Feb 18, 2018
Kizyte:
The 'Neutral' is engaged when in a hold-up.
haba bad drivers everywhere
Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by ifyalways(f): 10:14am On Feb 18, 2018
Have never used it
Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by ignis: 10:15am On Feb 18, 2018
Kizyte:
The 'Neutral' is engaged when in a hold-up.
I use P while in hold up.
Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by RealGucci: 10:18am On Feb 18, 2018
on nigerian road
the use of neutral gear shifting....
when sars stops u and tells u to park
park
park
and remain still or risk getting shot

thats the use
Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by Harkyn92(m): 10:23am On Feb 18, 2018
I'm just a novice in this aspect, but does it mean auto cars can be pushed out of the road if it develops a fault in the middle of the road
Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by abiolag(m): 10:40am On Feb 18, 2018
When in holdup and d car is in neutral, do I still have to apply d break or just leave it on neutral and d car won't move?
Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by OShepherd: 10:42am On Feb 18, 2018
Meedu:
It is used only in naija to roll down towards a sloppy filling station without having to start the car with every movement during this fuel wahala. It prolongs the life of your keystarter grin and saves you some fuel as well. Advisable to queue at a downhill filling station and you'll see the benefit of neutral grin
Naija style of driving!Lols shocked sad

1 Like

Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by Kizyte(m): 10:51am On Feb 18, 2018
maxiuc:
haba bad drivers everywhere
I'll take that as an insult, but the earlier you learn from me, the better for you. Do you know the amount of stress you give to your engine when on 'Drive' while you engage your break in a hold-up?
Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by Kizyte(m): 10:56am On Feb 18, 2018
ignis:

I use P while in hold up.
I use 'P' too but only in a terrible hold-up where movement is totally restricted longer than normal. And then 'Neutral' in a minor holdup.
Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by Gracesofar(m): 11:00am On Feb 18, 2018
Economically speaking, to conserve fuel.

Dz era of scarcity I use the N a lot to conserve fuel nd disengage gear.

2. To select gear manually. I tested dz and it works for my car. When d car z slow in selecting well, I shift to n N back to d with a little pressure on my gas. Most pple might doubt dz. Some years back as a teen. I used N nd D to drive a faulty gear baby boy from Akure to Ibadan

Only pros will understand how

1 Like

Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by pimper24: 11:03am On Feb 18, 2018
AutoReportNG:
'N’ or ‘Neutral’ is a gear in the cars with an automatic gearbox? Have you ever thought about the functions of this neutral gear? Most people have never had a reason to use it while some drivers don’t even know when and how to use it. Well, it has some unique functions and can even save your life too in critical conditions.

Use of Neutral Gear in Automatic Transmission Car

Shifting to the neutral gear in an automatic transmission will cut off the connection between the engine and the wheels. So, no power will be transmitted to the wheels when you press the pedal. This allows the wheels to rotate freely without drawing much action from the engine, but you will still have some control over the car.

Shifting to the neutral does not do much harm except for putting a bit strain on the brakes when your intention is to stop the vehicle. However, dong it frequently for a long time could damage the torque converter.

When to Use the Neutral Gear

There are several occasions when selecting this gear will come handy. Let’s take a look:

Stop a car with a stuck throttle

Think of cruising through the highway at a great speed and suddenly discovering that you have a stuck throttle! Scary, right? Pushing the brake might not be enough to stop the vehicle since the speed is high. In that case, the safe bet is to move the gear to Neutral and use the brake to park safely.

Switching off the engine is not the safest solution since it will cut the power to the steering, making it impossible to stop the car without any damage.

Safe parking during a brake failure

People mostly respond to a brake-fail by killing the engine. It’s a wrong choice since it will leave you with no control over the steering wheel. Besides, it can even lock the wheel mechanism, making the situation more dangerous. Shifting to the neutral gear will help you toggling between the lanes and park somewhere safe.

During towing the car

Putting the vehicle in Neutral during towing is not the ideal way to do it. However, you don’t have any choice when the towing company does not have a tow dolly. The neutral gear will help in keeping the engine on and transmission damage minimal.

Frequently Asked Questions about Neutral Gear

The gear actually does not have much use other than helping in stopping the car in some critical situations. Check out the FAQs to clear your confusion:

Is There Any Disadvantage of Using the Neutral Gear?

The only downside is that you will have less control over the car. To overcome it, you should practice running the car in that gear mode. It may save your life in some emergencies.

Does It Save Fuel?

Well, it’s just a myth. It has nothing to do with fuel efficiency since the engine is still running at Neutral. So, most vehicles will use the same amount of petrol in the idle state.

Is Driving in Neutral Dangerous?

Yes, it could be. You should not abruptly shift to that gear when you are driving on a highway at a great speed, except for emergencies. It drastically slows down the car and cuts down many wheel functions, which may cause accidents.

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2018/02/what-is-use-of-neutral-gear-in.html

Lalasticlala
Seun
Mynd44
Marpol
Fynestboi
I think there 's something seriously missing in your write up. The neutral is strategically located so that you can put the engine to rest when the car is stationary and the engine is running eg in heavy traffic. That way the load the gear levies on the engine would have been cut off. That way you save yourself some fuel, if you are not deciding to put off the ignition, and you have less stress on the engine. This is the first aim of neutral part of the gear.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by cyborg123(m): 11:10am On Feb 18, 2018
It helps to restart the car if your engine stalls in motion without the need to come to a complete stop.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by gameboyo: 11:13am On Feb 18, 2018
jerflakes:
Rolling down a hilly surface

When you're in a long holdup, it's not advisable to apply the brakes for long while the gear is in drive

Is it true that driving on high speed consumes much fuel than on a slower speed?
Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by Mikkylounge: 11:37am On Feb 18, 2018
Harkyn92:
I'm just a novice in this aspect, but does it mean auto cars can be pushed out of the road if it develops a fault in the middle of the road
yes, auto cars can be pushed off the road
Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by Mikkylounge: 11:40am On Feb 18, 2018
pimper24:
I think there 's something seriously missing in your write up. The neutral is strategically located so that you can put the engine to rest when the car is stationary and the engine is running eg in heavy traffic. That way the load the gear levies on the engine would have been cut off. That way you save yourself some fuel, if you are not deciding to put off the ignition, and you have less stress on the engine. This is the first aim of neutral part of the gear.
it's not just about the fuel savings but rather about relieving the engine of stress when in traffic. The N is best for traffic situations, rather than cycling through all the gears to park and back to drive, you just take it to N and back to rive. It saves the engine and transmission of stress.
Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by Joshuamassodi(m): 12:03pm On Feb 18, 2018
First of all when you hear the word neutral, what comes in your small mind? AutoReportNG: you are among those that do not know the function
Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by Xionez(m): 1:04pm On Feb 18, 2018
Joshuamassodi:
First of all when you hear the word neutral, what comes in your small mind? AutoReportNG: you are among those that do not know the function

Oga, you have said nothing o.
I gleaned quite a few tidbits from write-ups in this thread. But yours has zero info.
If you cannot correct, why quote?!

If you don't have anything to say, please shift and stop wasting the precious space someone else would used to drop hints or ask questions.

Going by your profile, you are not a professional driver neither are you a Motorhead.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by jerflakes(m): 2:12pm On Feb 18, 2018
gameboyo:

Is it true that driving on high speed consumes much fuel than on a slower speed?

Of course brother

The more you accelerate, the more petrol that's consumed

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by Meetleader: 2:21pm On Feb 18, 2018
Ijaya123:
I also push the gear to Neutral anytime I get to a red light or short stop.

Always apply the hand brakes when you do that

1 Like

Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by fairprince(m): 2:43pm On Feb 18, 2018
cyborg123:
It helps to restart the car if your engine stalls in motion without the need to come to a complete stop.

Yeah! Esp when ur engine stalls because of cars security when in motion!

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by Mikkylounge: 10:41pm On Feb 18, 2018
gameboyo:

Yes. If you drive at between 60-70 miles/hr you will notice that your car will burn less fuel. If you also use cruise control or just drive at a uniform speed, you'd also save fuel

1 Like

Re: What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? by Ijaya123: 11:40am On Feb 19, 2018
Meetleader:

Always apply the hand brakes when you do that

Not unless I intend to do other things while inside the car.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil / Inside Innoson Motor Manufacturing Plant Nnewi (Video) / #KogiInauguration: Fatal Tipper Accident At Kogi Highway (Graphic Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.