Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,474 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:06 PM

Cruelity Against Animals - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cruelity Against Animals (1577 Views)

Nigeria; Where All Animals Are Never Equal. / ANIMALS:Boko Haram Now Using Young Girls To Smuggle Guns Into Maiduguri (pix) / Animals Do Not Turn Into Human Beings: Ok? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cruelity Against Animals by Robotnik: 4:03am On Apr 23, 2010
Rams lock horns at Nigeria's national Ram Fighting Championship

http://www.channelstv.com/global/news_details.php?cat=Entertainment&nid=17595

Thousands of city residents flocked to the National Sports stadium in Lagos to watch the much-anticipated fight between Gobe, the reigning national champion, and an unnamed new challenger at the 13th edition of the national ram fighting championships.

Just as the crowd of spectators was getting restless, Gobe arrived with his trainer and a group of die-hard supporters wearing T-shirts bearing the champion's picture and stormed the arena in a scene reminiscent of top prize fighters in the world of boxing.

Draped in a white and green gown, Gobe appeared relaxed and at ease compared to his nervous rivals.

Gobe won the title last year after terminating a ram nicknamed "Obama" -- a ferocious ram, after what Olekan Bayewu, Gobe's owner and trainer described as a "technical knock out".

Before entering the ring this year, men wrestled and boxed in mini competitions that offered a curtain raiser as the headline act Gobe treated himself to a pre-fight snack of mysterious dry leaves, grass and berries.

Once inside the ring, Gobe proceeded to chase several rivals out.

Spectators cheered in delight as he retained the National Ram Fight Championship title for 2010.

Owner Bayewu said Gobe had trained hard, running for two hours each morning, and would retain the national championship title for a long time and had no plans of slaughtering him for meat anytime soon.

"After this fight the ram is going to relax for more than six months. After six months, that is when I will bring it out, by the grace of God," said Bawyewu after the victory which earned the top prize of the tournament - a giant fridge, which his supporters carried home for him.

Most of those who came to watch the ram fight said they found it interesting and would come back again next year.

"It is the first time I have seen ram fight. I think, for me, it is quite exciting," said Linda, a tourist.

Lagos State government organised the event as part of efforts to encourage the youth to take part in sports.

"The aim of organising event like this is to improve social interaction between the youth and the same time encourage the youth to participate in sports," said Mohammed Abdullahi, the event's organiser.

But ram fight competitions, which are popular in various parts of Nigeria, also receive criticsm for attracting gambling and some ram owners and trainers have also been accused of feeding their rams with marijuana to turn them into fearless and furious fighters.
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by Robotnik: 4:05am On Apr 23, 2010
At a time when developed countries are developing laws to protect animals, see what your
country is doing, its just a shame that we like doing absurd stuff.
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by Robotnik: 4:09am On Apr 23, 2010
"Lagos State government organised the event as part of efforts to encourage the youth to take part in sports."

This is Enough to send Fashola packing, if it was in the USA this cruelty was committed, Michael Vick will bear me a witness
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by PapaBrowne(m): 4:20pm On Apr 23, 2010
Robotnik:

At a time when developed countries are developing laws to protect animals, see what your
For crying out loud Mr Man, we are neither Europeans nor Americans. We do not have to copy everything they do. So the fact that they developing laws to protect animals don't mean we should follow suit. 
How about the "corrida de toros" in Spain??I mean bull fighting . . . . ever seen it?  Now thats cruel, but it's a cultural thing, attracts huge tourism . . . so its cool. If Lagos would use Ram fighting to promote development, then why not!!
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by Choco5: 6:54pm On Apr 23, 2010
This one is doing animal protector.
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by princekevo(m): 6:58pm On Apr 23, 2010
Robotnik:

LOL!!! Where are u from and what planet are you leaving in?
If you are a Nigerian i would like to inform you that an ordinary dog on the street of NY have right more that you at the Street of Lagos. So i will advice you better start by fighting for your right and laws to pretect you as a human first b4 that of an animal.
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by Sagamite(m): 6:59pm On Apr 23, 2010
Robotnik:

"Lagos State government organised the event as part of efforts to encourage the youth to take part in sports."

This is Enough to send Fashola packing, if it was in the USA this cruelty was committed, Michael Vick will bear me a witness

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

You dey crase! Not craze o, CRASE! grin

Cruelity ko, Shubuluti ni! grin

Dey there, dey blow grammar. You think say we don chop your disney rubbish for Naija.  grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by Feraz(m): 7:12pm On Apr 23, 2010
Guy, na vex?
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by bgees(m): 7:19pm On Apr 23, 2010
I love ram-fighting. that is what I look forward to every sallah. grin
Robotnik:

u be mumu.
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by otawa: 7:25pm On Apr 23, 2010

Another load of CRAPS.

It will do you good to save us your half-barked knowledge.

May be you should go to spain to see how they do bull-fight.

But ram fight competitions, which are popular in various parts of Nigeria, also receive criticsm for attracting gambling and some ram owners and trainers have also been accused of feeding their rams with marijuana to turn them into fearless and furious fighters.

This is welcome development but they should provide clear rule of the game. no doping allowed.
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by 4Play(m): 7:39pm On Apr 23, 2010
Nigeria is not kind on humans, never mind rams.
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by bgees(m): 7:40pm On Apr 23, 2010
otawa:

Another load of CRAPS.

It will do you good to save us your half-barked knowledge.

May be you should go to spain to see how they do bull-fight.

This is welcome development but they should provide clear rule of the game. no doping allowed.

cheesy grin Naija!!!!
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by Sagamite(m): 7:51pm On Apr 23, 2010
otawa:

That's true sha!

Lets make it professional, none of that typical Naija unprofessionalism. It would be nice to get corporate sponsors, maybe if money enters the sports we can have our own animal sports as big a the Grand National of the UK.

The animals should all be drug tested before and after fights.
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by Nobody: 7:58pm On Apr 23, 2010
I am still rubbing my eyes to make sure I read this article well.

You mean after watching 'welcome to Lagos' and witnessing the grotesque poverty and dire situation of our people, you are talking about animal rights?

First take care of human beings then animals next.

For now the only rights they have is in my pot of soup.
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by Beaf: 8:03pm On Apr 23, 2010
Robotnik:

. . .

They should try to see if the rams will to drink akpeteshi as well. At least when they are finally slaughtered, they would have died very happy bunnies indeed! grin
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by platinumnk(f): 8:04pm On Apr 23, 2010
frosbel:

I am still rubbing my eyes to make sure I read this article well.

You mean after watching 'welcome to Lagos' and witnessing the grotesque poverty and dire situation of our people, you are talking about animal rights?

First take care of human beings first then animals next.

For now the only rights they have is in my pot of soup.

LOL DIES  grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by bgees(m): 8:59am On Apr 24, 2010
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by ElRazur: 9:19am On Apr 24, 2010
I love ram fighting. I used to got to "Yidi" in Ilorin [Kwara state] to watch them fight during the Muslim festive period.

As per calling this animal cruelty, I think you will find that what is good for the goose is probably not good for the gander when it comes to comparing Nigeria and advanced countries on this issues. smiley
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by Nobody: 12:23pm On Apr 24, 2010
Robotnik:

So Naija should do what other countries are doing eh?

Thunder fire that your keyboard but save only the ALT and F4 keys.
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by otawa: 12:52pm On Apr 24, 2010
@bgees,

Thanks. Lovely video.

The winning Ram should have their skeleton in the museum when it is eventually killed for food.

we just need to put some colors and rules into the game.

kudos to the organisers.
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by RichDad1(m): 1:39pm On Apr 24, 2010
where is the poster?chei! see bombardment shocked shocked
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by haronky7: 2:42pm On Apr 24, 2010
@Frosbe
I cannot agree more with you

When our people have no human rights whatsoever and are dying of poverty and hunger, I just cant believe someone bringing this notion

I have seen on an European channel someone campaigning for the Rights of Chicken! They could afford to say so because they have more than enough to eat, but go say that to a married man with 6 children, living in one room with his family, earning like N10k a month, who can only afford to eat chicken once a year @Xmas after saving for same over a year!

I dont think we should just be copying everything Western, all in the belief that they are always right.
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by Sagamite(m): 4:00pm On Apr 24, 2010
haronky7:

I have seen on an European channel someone campaigning for the Rights of Chicken! They could afford to say so because they have more than enough to eat

More like they are mentally deluded or ill. undecided
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by Nobody: 4:05pm On Apr 24, 2010

Michael Vick is pregnant for you?

invite Nlers to the naming plz!
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by ziga: 4:55pm On Apr 24, 2010
Nigerians. . .
Always comparing everything to the states.

How many developing countries have animal rights.

Go tell them about the bull fights in mexico

Or cock fights in the far east.

We have other priorities that need urgent attention and someone is saying animal rights.

Abeg, dem don chop beleful for states already.
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by kayc33(m): 5:06pm On Apr 24, 2010
and wat do you call this?

N/B: Not for the faint hearted

http://www.worldstaruncut.com/uncut/23944
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by ziga: 5:11pm On Apr 24, 2010
kayc33:

and wat do you call this?

N.B: Not for the faint hearted

http://www.worldstaruncut.com/uncut/23944

That was really sick!!!
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by presido1: 10:45pm On Apr 25, 2010
Wetin the dog do them?
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by bawomolo(m): 10:55pm On Apr 25, 2010
lol is that ram wearing a cap.

if you argue ram fighting is cruel, what about horse racing considering horses are routinely put down from the injuries they suffer from racing.
i don't see the appeal in watching animals fight for sport though.
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by Nobody: 11:04pm On Apr 25, 2010
This is not going to affect Burger king in Nigeria, is it?
Re: Cruelity Against Animals by deco2come: 3:10am On May 01, 2010
@Poster,

Everyone is ignorant but the difference between a wise man and a foolish man is that the foolish man displays his ignorance more than the wise man does. Maybe you are one of those that are beclouded with whatever(whether good or bad) that comes from foreign countries and never see anything good within their own country.

Anyway, I recommend you to watch "EARTHLINGS OR THE COVE", then come back and for the real chat.

(1) (Reply)

Our Economy In Danger -cbn Gov •warns Fg To Reduce Expenditure On N/assembly / How Okereke-onyiuke Got Nse Job With Fake Qualification / Remembering Biafra-New York Times Review

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.