Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,566 members, 7,801,606 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:06 PM

Why Does A Car Overheat? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Does A Car Overheat? (6538 Views)

Car Wants To Overheat / My Car Now Overheat, What Can Be Done? / Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does A Car Overheat? by franugo(m): 1:44pm On Feb 18, 2018
my dad's car is prone to overheating. the level of overheating is mind boggling, you'd fill d tank with water and after driving a little distance, d water would start boiling n would have to be changed. and on n on it goes. the car has been worked on severally but either the mechanics are incompetent or d car is incurable. Please, I need opinions on what could be done to stop the incessant stops n refilling

2 Likes

Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by timifakay(m): 7:39am On Feb 19, 2018
franugo:
my dad's car is prone to overheating. the level of overheating is mind boggling, you'd fill d tank with water and after driving a little distance, d water would start boiling n would have to be changed. and on n on it goes. the car has been worked on severally but either the mechanics are incompetent or d car is incurable. Please, I need opinions on what could be done to stop the incessant stops n refilling

Vehicle should contain coolant, not water.
As you said the vehicle has been worked on several times, very likely the system has been terribly compromised and every trick in the book tried which will mean a total overall will be necessary to return to factory spec.
What's the vehicle make, model and year?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by Lexusgs430: 5:45am On Feb 20, 2018
franugo:

Might be wise to buy another better replacement engine.......

Head gasket is too tired and wants to retire completely.... While your Kazeem is at it, check conditions of radiator + thermostat....

3 Likes

Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by id4sho(m): 6:10pm On Feb 20, 2018
dirty radiator, bad cooking fan, weak water hose,
bad gasket, bad radiator cover ,check for cracks on all plastic and rubber, bad seal.
Test radiator compression.

3 Likes

Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by Nobody: 7:05am On Feb 21, 2018
D car na passat
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by misterchris(m): 7:05am On Feb 21, 2018
Nobody to Bleep it when its on heat so it overheats.
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by Yankee101: 7:06am On Feb 21, 2018
The radiator is likely Too small.

You bought a car conditioned for winter to high temperatures. Get a bigger radiator.

Once you're sure fans are functional and you add coolant to the water you use and your gasket is not burnt.

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by sweerychick(f): 7:07am On Feb 21, 2018
Alot of factors can cause engine overheating
, from lack of engine coolant to a faulty engine fan, to a faulty thermostat to a bad hose, to a bad water pump, to a bad head gasket, to a bad engine
All are culprits..

Check the kinda engine coolant your dad's car uses. Not every car use only water as a source of coolant, you can mix up anti freeze to raise the boiling point of the coolant

If that doesn't work check if your vehicle fan is blowing well and the direction it's blowing air, also the electrical wiring fuses and relays An electrician can do that for you. You can also step up the fan to see if it would help.

If that doesn't work check your cars thermostat, although most cars are equipped with thermostat, sometimes due to weather difference between us and temperate regions it can cause the engine fan to malfunction

If that doesn't work check wether there is a leaking hose, especially from the radiator side to the engine also check if your radiator is dirty as well otherwise you have to wash it or replace it

If that doesn't work check the water pump, a faulty water pump can cause an engine to overheat

If that doesn't work check the head gasket, a bad head gasket would leave an oil trace on the radiator coolant, if you check your coolant every morning you would see oil traces

If all of the above doesn't work it means your dad's engine is bad, or weak or very old. At this point consider getting a new engine or a vehicle. Overheating destroys the engine faster than anything else

7 Likes

Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by cooldipo(m): 7:12am On Feb 21, 2018
A lot of reasons...

For example blocked drains
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by Areaboy2(m): 7:14am On Feb 21, 2018
misterchris:
Nobody to Bleep it when its on heat so it overheats.
Lol.. you are something else
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by adanny01(m): 7:22am On Feb 21, 2018
franugo:

This could be a simple case of bad radiator cover or in worst case the entire radiator.

The problem is no Mechanic drives the car, so the mechanic is not there when the problem happened and will most likely treat one issue for another. It is your responsibility as the driver to do some basic test and observations which will aid the mechanic in choosing the actual fault. A leak, is not the same as burnt head gasket. A bad radiator cap is not the same as bad radiator.

I suggest start from the cheapest solution. That will be to change the radiator cap. Cap failure causes boiling and spilling of water in a system that seems ok. The reserve tank will always fill up then spill water from there.
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by kingjoe(m): 7:23am On Feb 21, 2018
yeyerolling:
D car na passat
lol my mum's Passat can overheat for Africa. actually overheating is caused by faulty fan, radiator.leaks engine becoming weak . infact so many reasons.
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by SIRKAY98(m): 7:23am On Feb 21, 2018
This yemperature thing no b small thing ooo

Try get big radiator

Big Relays

Big Fans

Add enough Colant

Check Head casket
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by moscobabs(m): 7:23am On Feb 21, 2018
The only sickness in my Nissan quest......the fan always stop
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by misterchris(m): 7:24am On Feb 21, 2018
Areaboy2:

Lol.. you are something else
Lol. My brother. Na to dey find humour in every situation o. Nigeria fit turn person to sadist.
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by jimb(m): 7:29am On Feb 21, 2018
I don't knw the thetype of car but my advice is fr you to bfill the radiator halve way so thhe return hose can exhale.
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by OboOlora(f): 8:08am On Feb 21, 2018
2many Kazeems on this forum!

Op, take the car to its service Centre!!
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by gunpoint(m): 8:13am On Feb 21, 2018
because it's facking old. I drive a brand new car now and thats not an issue
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by Hunter22: 8:22am On Feb 21, 2018
Lot of things can attribute to that.1) most of the cars come with thermostat because of the cold weather abroad so it would still keep the engine hot till the next day, once it not been removed here in nigeria the car overheats on every little stress like when put on the Ac, on a hill, trafic etc. 2) when your radiator And Ac vent is not alway washed to allow the free flow of fresh air. 3) when the engine top gasket is somehow burnt it makes the engine over hear,4) overloading does that.5)low or no water.6)radiator fans re one of the slow poisions, when the rotation decreases like it doesn't bring in air from outside into the engine( you can check that buy using an empty sachet of pure water and placing it right infront of you car Ac external condenser while your engine is on, if it sticks there know it's okay and if it's not, has an issue.. Thanks ya all, hope it you get the solution here

2 Likes

Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by Jasperro(m): 8:26am On Feb 21, 2018
yeyerolling:
D car na passat
Passer no be car? #Be proud of what you have
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by diportivo: 8:46am On Feb 21, 2018
Yankee101:

You bought a car conditioned for winter to high temperatures. Get a bigger radiator.

Once you're sure fans are functional and you add coolant to the water you use and your gasket is not burnt.

what does this even mean
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by Yankee101: 8:55am On Feb 21, 2018
diportivo:

what does this even mean

An American car, for example, is built to withstand below zero to mild weather.

Nigeria is hot all year round and the temperature being high helps increase the possibility of over heating.

Is that clear enough?
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by Nobody: 8:59am On Feb 21, 2018
franugo:

How old is the car?
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by 10ultramed: 10:56am On Feb 21, 2018
Tired of Your Website Embarrassing Your Business? Get the Best WEB DESIGN EXPERIENCE

1) We build powerful websites, mobile apps, and seemless web applications
If you need a site with all the bells and whistles, contact Airtight Design. Database integration, video, audio, ios and android integration, e-commerce — no problem, we serve you right!
Simple sites load faster, are easy to use and are less prone to problems.!

2) We're affordable.
We understand in the importance of SMEs in the overall chain of the economy, so we keep our cost very affordable. We only charge you when we do work for you.

3) We are friendly.
Most of our clients have fun working with us. We make the web design process easy and pleasant. We speak in plain English, not techno-babble. And we love what we do for a living..

4) We're honest.
Our business has grown more through word-of-mouth and we intend to continue growing this way. We offer FREE consultation, quotes and detailed proposals. It's all part of our meticulous preparation which is key for a successful project. We'll treat you fairly and do a great job so that you'll want to continue working with us after your site has launched. And, we want you to tell all your friends and colleagues about us.

5) You're the boss.
We'll give you options and the tools and information to make good choices. We'll give you our recommendations, but ultimately, every decision about your website is yours.

Want more reasons?

Why don't you contact us now and be OUR NEXT BOSS?

Contact now on 081~(8742)~8339
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by diportivo: 11:37am On Feb 21, 2018
Yankee101:

An American car, for example, is built to withstand below zero to mild weather.

Nigeria is hot all year round and the temperature being high helps increase the possibility of over heating.

Is that clear enough?

so,if this said car is in Florida for instance,where summer is always lit..... literally

what happens?

radiator will be changed during summer?
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by Yankee101: 11:42am On Feb 21, 2018
diportivo:

so,if this said car is in Florida for instance,where summer is always lit..... literally

what happens?

radiator will be changed during summer?

Yes, People pass out and even die here from too much heat/dehydration in Arizona for example. And yes when temperatures are high it overheats cars.

How many cars you don own/use/maintain b4 I start to waste my time with person wey never use him own car b4.

Every long term car owner knows these basic facts in Nigeria, especially Mercedes.
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by benjyyyyy07: 1:10pm On Feb 21, 2018
bros you don dey vex
Yankee101:

Yes, People pass out and even die here from too much heat/dehydration in Arizona for example. And yes when temperatures are high it overheats cars.

How many cars you don own/use/maintain b4 I start to waste my time with person wey never use him own car b4.

Every long term car owner knows these basic facts in Nigeria, especially Mercedes.
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by bluediesel03: 2:02pm On Feb 21, 2018
OP. Check the radiator hose and see if any is leaking, weak top gasket, please use coolant instead of water. And most importantly, loose the vehicle radiator and take it for a wash, (machine wash), maybe the radiator holes are blocked. Thank me later
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:22pm On Feb 21, 2018
Yankee101:

cars a designed with a range of expected ambient temperatures. cars do not require any modifications to be used in a particular area,
except for possibly winter tyres and anti-freeze.

Finally you do not require insults to pass a message.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by diportivo: 3:20pm On Feb 21, 2018
Yankee101:

u wld waste ur time

cos it's jargons u will type eventually

u talk as tho a 99camry straight from Yankee won't survive in Nigeria

Yankee101:

unapologetic kazeem undecided

3 cell radiator angry

adding coolant to water grin
Re: Why Does A Car Overheat? by oluwaseunla(m): 4:08pm On Feb 21, 2018
Yankee101:

Which basic facts? A 2001 MB C class with thermostat, on AC and full load doesn't overheat. Your point is wrong sir. Verify on google.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Offline Uber, Taxify And Oga Taxi In Lagos, Ogun And Ibadan / Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer / Towing Rope For Your Car (can Carry 3 Tons Weight, Good For SUV)...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.