Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,783 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:53 PM

WEB...Travails of a detective. - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / WEB...Travails of a detective. (27167 Views)

First Middle-grade Mystery/detective Novel Series By An African Writer / THE WITNESS (A Detective Kolapo Story) / THE CHASE (A Detective Kolapo Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by EkopSparoAyara(m): 11:46pm On Apr 01, 2018
jhurney:
Phone don finally spoil, that is the reason for the slow rate of update. I can only update when my gees are less busy with their phones.
Your advices and comments has been a source of inspiration,
Thank y'all.
Sorry Jhurney... It's such a pity... I hope you get to fix it soon...
I will wait patiently.. Happy Easter/New Month to my bro Jhurney and everyone on this thread..

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 8:45pm On Apr 05, 2018
Updates coming in tomorrow
Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by horwa140: 10:38am On Apr 08, 2018
Abeg bro make una update nw Ah dey ghost read am before but E too mark sense

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 10:50am On Apr 09, 2018
EPISODE
TWENTYSEVEN

I packed my clothes into a small travelling bag. I was about leaving the apartment when i remembered the few naira notes i kept in my wardrobe. I was scrambling for the money when my hands struck something solid. I dipped my right hand into the pocket of the cloth and brought out a mobile phone, it was then i remembered the phone i had long forgotten...

He must not get away from the city, i want policemen at every checkpoints and some should proceed to his house immediately. The Dpo ordered.

I paid for the rented car with my Atm card. It was a volvo 240, i chose the car because of it's strength and average speed. I wanted to appear conspicuous till i left the city. I had barely driven twenty miles when i saw a police checkpoint few meters ahead of me. I could recognise some of the officers as most of them came from my station.

One of them raised his hand directing to to park by the side of this road, i eased my leg on the accelerator and slowed down.
I noticed that most of them focused on the opposite side of the road and i decided to make use of that opportunity. I parked the car but left the engine running, as the officer approached me, i switched the gear and pressed the accelerator, speeding off before the dude could react.

I observed their reactions from the side mirror. They were obviously confused but they reacted quickly as they got into their hilux van immediately they recovered from the shock.

The chase was still on and i knew it was only a matter of minutes before I got caught. If i wanted to escape the city, i had to proceed straight.

I decided not to take any chances so i turned left before i parked the vehicle.

I knew that the police's idea was that my desire to escape the city was paramount, therefore they will proceed straight without looking sideways.

True to my thoughts, they sped on without observing me by the other turning.

I decided to head back to the city, my escaping the city was a lost cause. I had to prove my innocence while in the city.

I adjusted my backpack as i left the bush where
I parked the volvo.
I stopped a bike and hopped on after directing him to take me back to the police station...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 11:05am On Apr 09, 2018
EPISODE
TWENTYEIGHT

I told the bikeman to stop the bike when we were few blocks to the police station. I paid him and proceeded towards the station on foot.
I circled the building and entered through the window from which i escaped.
Before entering, i noticed that the truck that was driven to the police station on the day the murder occurred was missing.

I brought out the two pistols in my bag and walked discreetly towards the door. I placed my ear by the door in a bid to pick out any movement. I exited the office after making sure no one was in the corridor before trapping one of the guns behind me as i walked towards the counter. My aim was to get the register where reports for each day was recorded, i wanted to see the report that was put in by the dpo regarding the murder.

I pointed my gun at the constable behind the counter before telling him to slide the book towards me. I clutched the book under my left arm as i jabbed the gun into the constable's hypothalamus.
I was about leaving the premises when my instincts told me to check out the dpo's office.

I listened slightly to confirm if it was only the dpo inside before i knocked. I kicked the door open after hearing his voice.

Inspec...jame...s what are you doing here? He stammered, as he was visibly shocked.
I ignored his question maintaining eye contact with him.
why are you framing me for that murder? what have i done wrong?
Where is that truck?
I threw at him in quick succession. He refused to reply and looked at me in silence. I walked towards him after he failed to reply my earlier questions. His facial expression depicted disappointment, he was probably angry with himself for sending most of the officers away.

I took the two phones on his table after knocking him out, i became more certain that the dpo's hands were not clean, his face betrayed his emotions and i was sure he was working for some people.

My heart raced wildly as i walked on the street, i was confused but i knew the only way out was to find the murderer. I bought a face cap and a newspaper before i entered a cafeteria.
I ordered for a beer as i flipped through the newspaper. I was about turning the page over when an headline caught my attention.

POLICEMAN MURDERS AN INNOCENT CITIZEN, WHEREABOUTS UNKNOWN, POLICE COMBING THE WHOLE CITY FOR HIM.

My picture was also attached, i couldn't help but shed tears. I paid for the drink and left the place immediately, i was afraid people might recognise me.

I decided to lodge in an hotel for the time been. I was asking for directions to the nearest hotel when i heard someone call out my name in an official manner.
Inspector james, you are under arrest.
I turned back to behold two of my colleagues with their gun pointed at me as one of them approached with an handcuff...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 11:16am On Apr 09, 2018
EPISODE
TWENTYNINE.

You guys can help yourself by dropping those guns before i blow off your heads.

Although i was surprised with how easy it was to intimidate Nigerian policemen, i was grateful ayo showed up exactly when i needed him.
I took my bag on the floor and dropped it in the backseat of ayo's car. He motioned at me to enter the vehicle even with his gun still pointed at the officers.

We were way past the station when i alerted ayo as we approached an hotel by the roadside, We are coming back, he replied indifferently. I wanted to protest, but i kept quiet knowing he was in the game long before i joined the police force.

James' we have to stop here.
I nodded in affirmation since i understood
his reason for stopping the car. Refusing to abandon the car could bring us to our doom. Since those officers who almost got me arrested would have alerted the others, and of course, telling them the model of the car we are in.
Ayo opened the boot and brought out his laptop bag before we started walking back in the direction we came from. We walked a few distance before we boarded a bike and proceeded back to the hotel we drove past.

Ayo went to book a room while he told me to wait outside knowing it was possible for some people to recognise me in the hotel.
It was until we got into our room that ayo addressed me properly since he came to my rescue.

James, it's been a while, he said as he shook my hand before we hugged. I did not know when i started crying, it was actually a cry of relief. I was already bent under pressure.

Ayo ordered food while i went to freshen up, I changed into clean clothes before i ate. I slept off immediately i landed on the bed.

I woke up in the midnight to see ayo wide awake, he was focused on the laptop in front of him.
James, we have to get to work. We dont have much time, it wont be long before they locate us.
I brought the three phones out of my bag and laid them beside him. I took the phone belonging to the dead driver while ayo connected the inspector's phone to his to his system with a Usb cord.

Look at this message, Ayo said as he handed the phone to me. ''I released the truck today, musa came along with a new driver". I read out loud.

Is that a clue? He asked.
Yes, it is. The truck was not in the station when i went back in today. But, do you mean that he left this message on his phone? I asked confused.

No, i accessed his deleted messages, and that was only possible because he sent that message today. The only problem is we dont know who received that message. Ayo replied.

Ok, but we do know the Dpo is an accomplice. I said as i directed my gaze on the phone i was holding. There was a message notification on the phone, i clicked on it. The message made no sense, but i scrolled up when i noticed it was a reply to a previous message. That was when i saw the dead man's last message....

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 11:21am On Apr 09, 2018
sorry for typos and grammatical blunders, y'all should know this story was not updated comfortably.
Thanks for the patience.

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 11:30am On Apr 09, 2018
EPISODE THIRTY...

I read out the message while ayo listened attentively. Call out the number the message was sent to, let me try tracking it, Ayo directed me. I opened the truecaller app on my android device so i could see if the number was registered on that platform, but unfortunately it wasn't.

Have you gotten his location? I asked. No not yet, it will take a liitle longer, i really hope his phone is not yet switched off. But While we await the outcome of this search, i want you to get every known information about D and C pharmaceuticals. He replied.

There is no incriminating information here. The company was established long time ago, few years before i was born. Infact it has an amazing reputation around the world. They once produced a drug that was used in the treatment of pneumonia. I've found nothing amiss about them, i sighed.

Something is amiss about them, we just saw a revelation by one of their former employee's. Get me the identity of everyone who has a share in that company, stakeholders, everybody. He shouted.

Those having shares in that company are respectable and well known politicians in the country, Chief garba and a host of others. Note those names, we are going on a journey as soon as it is morning, he replied, our target is in anambra. He added.

Where do we go first? Is it the company? I asked. No, we will only visit the company after gathering enough evidence to prosecute them, now get some sleep. We'll hit the road when it's 5 a.m, he replied as he yawned before throwing himself on the bed.
We made away with a toyota corolla parked in the hotel premises. Who needs a key when you can join the wires.
We got to anambra 5p.m in the evening, i spent most part of the journey inside the boot of the vehicle because of the police checkpoints. And since ayo was a state security agent, none of them searched the vehicle throughout the journey, all he had to do was show them his i.d card.

We parked in a secluded area. It was a village so no one noticed us, everybody just went around minding their businesses. We had barely used five minutes after ayo set up his tracking device when the red dot started beeping on the screen. We got out of the vehicle and proceeded in the direction the tracker indicated. We were getting close to the spot when the tracker started beeping rapidly and faster before it finally went off, the persons phone had been shutdown.

We stood confused for some seconds before i told ayo to let us proceed forward, since the last indication on the tracker was straight ahead. Our search was futile, there was no clue around, we just kept walking further into the bush without anybody in sight.

We decided to go back to our car and sit out the rest of the day. We were about getting out of the bush when my eyes caught something black just opposite us. I alerted ayo as i turned to walked towards it. I dragged off a thick branch and it gave way before a toyota vehicle was made visible and the phone we were probably tracking was inside it...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by skubido(m): 12:45pm On Apr 09, 2018
Nice wan

tanks a lot 4d update. Jah Bless
Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by EkopSparoAyara(m): 12:53pm On Apr 09, 2018
jhurney:
sorry for typos and grammatical blunders, y'all should know this story was not updated comfortably.
Thanks for the patience.
It's understandable bro.. Am enjoying myself so I'll keep waiting..

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by EkopSparoAyara(m): 12:57pm On Apr 09, 2018
Being framed up for murder is painful but releasing that those you hold at high esteem framed you up is disheartening.. James you've suffered, sleeping in the boot, hope you won't suffocate oo.. I hope the phone will bring more relevation...
Bravo Jhurney...
Am patiently and solidly behind you..

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by codesty: 1:11pm On Apr 09, 2018
you're extremly loaded bro.. Ride on

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by princejones(m): 3:20pm On Apr 09, 2018
Very nice and interesting epistle, keep it up and do make an update

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by adbey(m): 4:35pm On Apr 09, 2018
Nice one bro
Really feeling it to d bone marrow
More ink to ur pen grin

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Yemike(m): 7:20pm On Apr 09, 2018
The DPO isn't wise for framing James for the murder. He should have arrest a street tout and framed him if he needs to frame someone.

Ride on Jhurney, I dey gbadun you.

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Canme4u(m): 5:48pm On Apr 12, 2018
Well don man

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by skubido(m): 3:27pm On Apr 13, 2018
Plz comma update oooo
Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 6:42am On Apr 14, 2018
[b][/b]Today is my birthday.

2 Likes

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Nobody: 10:22am On Apr 14, 2018
jhurney:
HBD.llnpIJN

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Canme4u(m): 10:34am On Apr 14, 2018
jhurney:
Happy Birthday bro

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Cadec007(m): 11:36am On Apr 14, 2018
HBD Jhurney the detective!!!.....wish u LLAP!!!

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 4:37pm On Apr 19, 2018
EPISODE THIRTY-ONE

The person just left this place, we have to stick around. Ayo said as he made to sit under a tree.

You think so? I asked.

Cant you see the person came to charge the phone? The phone is plugged to the car charger'' He added.

Ohhh, i see. My bad, i muttered as I went to sit down beside him.

I was already dozing when ayo woke me up, someone is approaching, he said silently.
I checked my wristwatch. The day was almost gone, it was eight pm already. I sat up and tried as much as possible to make no sound .
The person went towards the car just as we expected . Ayo stood and ran towards him. Before the man could react, ayo already had his shoulders behind him. He pinned him to the ground and signaled at me to help him.

What is your name? I asked the man.
Toni... Toni Robertson. He replied fidgeting, please don't kill me.
We ain't gonna kill you, we only need your cooperation so as to hasten things up. we were able to locate you.They can also, so please tell us everything you know. I replied him soothingly.

Are you the police? He asked.
Yes I'm a policeman and my friend here is an agent for the state security service. And you need to be of help to us so we could apprehend the person who murdered your colleague, so please tell us everything you know. I reiterated.

Ramon and I suspected the company was dealing in drugs long ago, we walked in on our supervisor sniffing something on his table. We wanted to inform the police but we were advised not to do so by one of the workers in company. What is the name of that supervisor? Ayo asked him.

Musa, he replied immediately.

Musa! I exclaimed. Is that not the person to whom the inspector released the truck, according to that message. I said as i stared at ayo.
He should be he replied nodding.
Now everything is making sense, the drug business is well grounded, they have moles everywhere. I concluded within my self as i jammed my hand on the vehicle's bumper.

Toni, where do you stay around here? Ayo asked him as he strained his eyes to check the time indicated on his wristwatch. It's getting late and we need to rest. He added.

I stay with my mum, but you guys could spend the night. He replied excitedly, he was obviously happy no harm was coming near his family. Ok, let's get going then, we will continue our small talk tomorrow, i voiced out as i helped him to his feet.

Let me pick up my handset, toni said as he hurriedly opened the door to his car.
you don't need the phone, switching on the phone is not a good idea. Ayo said as he dragged him away from the car.
But i need to make a call tomorrow, he protested.

Tomorrow is never promised. Ayo replied as he tightened his grip...

3 Likes

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 4:40pm On Apr 19, 2018
I see it's been long someone commented on this thread.
I'm starting my exams next week.
I almost forgot I had an uncompleted project.
You guys will have to be patient, Thanks for your Patience so far.
Comments please....

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 4:49pm On Apr 19, 2018
EPISODE THIRTY-TWO

Somewhere in LAGOS...

Dayo rowlands walked back to his room again, his mind was not yet made-up on whether he should approach the police or not.

There was another meeting scheduled for later in the afternoon.
His desire was to be the inspector general of police but with the way things were going, he had no chance again and he was not ready to stain his hands for a position he once occupied.

I'll tell them i want out, he concluded in his mind as he made his way to the bathroom. Only if he knew...

UNKNOWN LOCATION...

As we all know, the election commences next week. There will be no meetings until after the election. All things been equal, y'all will be occupying top government offices in a few months time. Anyone with any contribution should signify before we call it a day here. Chief garba said as he raised a glass of water to his mouth.

I want out of this sinister organization..

Dayo rowlands allowed the words to sink amidst the murmurs before he continued.
I am not satisfied with the way things turned out, i was promised another position before our able chairman changed his mind, i hate the fact that i was looked down upon, so i call it quits today.
And you need not worry, the secrets of this organization is safe with me. We all have cockroaches in our cupboards. He laughed out loud as he concluded sarcastically.

So be it, we appreciate your contributions here so far. Chief ade replied.
Thank you for understanding, chief ade. Dayo replied slowly. Chief garba was silent and he didn't like it.

Carlos, you know how you should deal with that man, no traces as usual please. Chief garba voiced silently as he entered his waiting car.

Somewhere in ANAMBRA..

James, we should be on our way, ayo shouted at me.
I was busy enjoying the dishes Toni's mother made us. Toni walked us to our car. We had grown so close within the few hours we spent together, he loved our company and wished that we unravel the case. He was obviously tired of the situation and couldn't bear living in a village without electricity.

Dayo rowlands rounded the bend and took the turning that led to his house. He was famished but was glad he was able to speak out and save himself from the devilish group as he qualified them in his mind.
He was still lost in thoughts when a car overtook him and blocked the road so he could not pass. He got out of his vehicle when the person refused to step out.

Carlos watched him from the side mirror as he approached his car. He tightened the silencer on his gun. The place was a government residential area and the residents were mostly indoors by that time of the day.
Carlos held him by the collar and pulled him towards himself before shooting him in the head. He switched off the car engine and dragged him into the car before carving his sign even though he didn't feel like.

But it was his trademark...

2 Likes

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Cadec007(m): 5:00pm On Apr 19, 2018
jhurney:
Comments please....
we are still following j!

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by skubido(m): 5:35pm On Apr 19, 2018
tanks for the update

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by skubido(m): 5:37pm On Apr 19, 2018
jhurney:
Comments please....

best of luck ahead

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by itsandi(m): 6:05pm On Apr 19, 2018
Interesting smiley Enjoy other interesting stories on Tushstories via

www.tushstories.com

#Read!

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 10:28pm On Apr 19, 2018
Cadec007:
we are still following j!
I trust you sir.

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 10:29pm On Apr 19, 2018
skubido:

best of luck ahead
Amen, Thanks
Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Bluefish7(m): 2:24pm On Apr 20, 2018
Beautiful mind, amazing piece Jhurney, nice police/detective story unlike our stereotype nigeria action feem..... Sometimes the write up could be kinda confusing based on no spacing with the conversations. Buh am on follow up all the way #blessedup ✌️�.....and good luck with ya exams

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by EkopSparoAyara(m): 4:31pm On Apr 20, 2018
Carlos and his trademarks... Nemesis will catch up on you very soon.. Bravo Jhurney...

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

The Naked Truth (18+) / Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him / Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.