Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,837 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:38 AM

Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? (5625 Views)

It’s Very Illogical To Worship The Christian God. / Former Prince Of 'ISIS' Turns To Christ After A God Dream: 'I Saw A Love That... / If You Believe You Can Lose Your Salvation, Then You Have Called God A Liar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by Cute9gerian: 3:35pm On Feb 18, 2018
Except for murder, slavery has got to be one of the most immoral things a person can do. Yet slavery is rampant throughout the Bible in both the Old and New Testaments. The Bible clearly approves of slavery in many passages, and it goes so far as to tell how to obtain slaves, how hard you can beat them, and when you can have sex with the female slaves.

Many Jews and Christians will try to ignore the moral problems of slavery by saying that these slaves were actually servants or indentured servants. Many translations of the Bible use the word “servant”, “bondservant”, or “manservant” instead of “slave” to make the Bible seem less immoral than it really is. While many slaves may have worked as household servants, that doesn’t mean that they were not slaves who were bought, sold, and treated worse than livestock.

THE FOLLOWING PASSAGE SHOWS THAT SLAVES ARE PROPERTIES TO BE BOUGHT AS LIVESTOCK

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. Leviticus 25: 44-46

THE FOLLOWING PASSAGE DESCRIBES HOW THE HEBREW SLAVES ARE TO BE TREATED

If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare, ‘I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.’ If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever. (Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)

Notice how they can get a male Hebrew slave to become a permanent slave by keeping his wife and children hostage until he says he wants to become a permanent slave. What kind of family values are these?

THE FOLLOWING PASSAGE DESCRIBE HOW SICKENING SEX SLAVERY IS AND HOW TO SELL YOUR DAUGHTER AS A SEX SLAVE

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl’s owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

So these are the Bible family values! A man can buy as many sex slaves as he wants as long as he feeds them, clothes them, and has sex with them!

WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT BEATING SLAVES?

It says you can beat both male and female slaves with a rod so hard that as long as they don’t die right away you are cleared of any wrong doing

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

WHAT DOES JESUS SAY ABOUT SLAVERY?

You would think that Jesus and the New Testament would have a different view of slavery, but slavery is still approved of in the New Testament, as the following passages show.

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them. (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

In the following parable, Jesus clearly approves of beating slaves even if they didn’t know they were doing anything wrong.

The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. “But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given.” (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by hopefulLandlord: 3:41pm On Feb 18, 2018
Another excuse I've heard deluded Christian apologists give is "Yahweh was against slavery, he gave the laws on slavery only because people would've rebelled if he outright banned slavery so he decided to give limits to it" to which the analogy below becomes apt

Kid: Mom, Dad, we're gonna have some friends over for a party and we want access to the liquor cabinet even though we're all underaged.

Parents: It's already unlocked. Don't drink on an empty stomach, drink water to curb your hangover, and if anybody passes out, roll them on their side so they don't choke to death.

Apologist: Those parents are clearly against underage drinking. Look at all the reasonable limits they put on how their kids were supposed to go about it. They would have been ignored if they had outright forbidden it, so they're better parents for handling it this way, but they still obviously do not condone underage drinking.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by SKhanmi: 4:26pm On Feb 18, 2018
Read Gods of the new millennium by Alan Alford.
Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by hopefulLandlord: 4:44pm On Feb 18, 2018
SKhanmi:
Read Gods of the new millennium by Alan Alford.

What's it about? How does it relate to the OP?
Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by danvon(m): 6:09pm On Feb 18, 2018
If I may ask, Why is slavery bad?

When you say the Christian God is a slave supporter... what God are you comparing with exactly Allah,Atum,Zeus? You must have an idea of a better God....

The simply fact that most Christians don't support slavery isn't that enough?

1 Like

Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by SKhanmi: 6:56pm On Feb 18, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

What's it about? How does it relate to the OP?
Give answers to most of your questions including slavery.
Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by Cute9gerian: 7:12pm On Feb 18, 2018
danvon:
If I may ask, Why is slavery bad?

When you say the Christian God is a slave supporter... what God are you comparing with exactly Allah,Atum,Zeus? You must have an idea of a better God....

You should be asking the Nigerian's that were held captive in lybia why slavery is bad or maybe it's cause you or probably any member of your family havnt experienced it,so it seems normal to you, and yes I say the Bible God 'Yahweh' because this facts clearly are from his supposed Bible...And most Christians don't support it because the world don't support it and it is seen as immoral but funny enough the God you allegedly worship supports and order it.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by danvon(m): 7:16pm On Feb 18, 2018
Cute9gerian:

You should be asking the Nigerian's that were held captive in lybia why slavery is bad or maybe it's cause you or probably any member of your family havnt experienced it,so it seems normal to you, and yes I say the Bible God 'Yahweh' because this facts clearly are from his supposed Bible...And most Christians don't support it because the world don't support it and it is seen as immoral but funny enough the God you allegedly worship supports and order it.
You didn't answer any of my questions okay maybe I should rephrase

Which God are you worshipping?

Who told you slavery is evil and why?

Do you want Christians to start supporting slavery?

New question: Who makes up the world?

People just criticizing for no goddam reason
Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by danvon(m): 7:30pm On Feb 18, 2018
Jesus said "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets."
Matthew:7:12 I can easily vouch with this against slavery because I won't like to be a slave myself

"But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve."
Luke:22:26 Jesus is saying the greatest are made to serve not the other way round, anyone who considers himself great should help others Wealthy people should help the poor, Strong should help the weak.. this is also against slavery

But let see your reasons why slavery is evil just try@Op

1 Like

Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by Cute9gerian: 9:46pm On Feb 18, 2018
If common sense can't tell you that slavery is immoral,i wonder what will.
danvon:
Jesus said "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets."
Matthew:7:12 I can easily vouch with this against slavery because I won't like to be a slave myself

"But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve."
Luke:22:26 Jesus is saying the greatest are made to serve not the other way round, anyone who considers himself great should help others Wealthy people should help the poor, Strong should help the weak.. this is also against slavery

But let see your reasons why slavery is evil just try@Op

7 Likes

Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by Cute9gerian: 9:55pm On Feb 18, 2018
danvon:
You didn't answer any of my questions okay maybe I should rephrase

Which God are you worshipping?

Who told you slavery is evil and why?

Do you want Christians to start supporting slavery?

New question: Who makes up the world?

People just criticizing for no goddam reason

I'm a free thinker

My common sense tells me, and why it is evil? Subjecting someone to suffering and hard labour is evil and that's basically what slavery is all about

I'm inno way wanting anyone to support slavery

What makes up the world? In what context?

5 Likes

Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by danvon(m): 11:02pm On Feb 18, 2018
Cute9gerian:

I'm a free thinker

My common sense tells me, and why it is evil? Subjecting someone to suffering and hard labour is evil and that's basically what slavery is all about

I'm inno way wanting anyone to support slavery

What makes up the world? In what context?

Is the world made in your opinion majorly of theist or atheist

You don't want anyone to support slavery can you give the reason you made this topic
Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by hopefulLandlord: 12:53am On Feb 19, 2018
danvon:
Most Christians don't support slavery simply because of pushback by sane humans normalising it, sane humans also did the same to Judaism that's why they no longer practice the precepts of "sharia law" like they did in it's heyday and it is islam instead of christianity that is the new inquisitioner.

Christians not supporting slavery has nothing to do with the Bible but rather inspite of it just like many Christians have accepted gay marriage and I see a future where most Christians accept it

5 Likes

Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by OtemAtum: 2:15am On Feb 19, 2018
The Christian god called Yahweh actually messed up in that area, but we can forgive him. Let's pardon him and focus on the future of the world as nobody is above mistakes. I'm sure Yahweh would be regretting his actions in his spiritual prison by now.

@ solite, what do you have to say about your god permitting and commanding slavery?

1 Like

Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by Image123(m): 6:45am On Feb 19, 2018
Slaves of satan are here gnashing teeth against God. I'd rather be a slave of Abraham than a slave of satan.
Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by hopefulLandlord: 8:20am On Feb 19, 2018
Image123:
Slaves of satan are here gnashing teeth against God. I'd rather be a slave of Abraham than a slave of satan.

Satan is an imaginary enemy

4 Likes

Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by Cute9gerian: 8:22am On Feb 19, 2018
You should rephrase that as you'll rather remain the slave of the white man's God
Image123:

6 Likes

Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by Image123(m): 10:32am On Feb 19, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Satan is an imaginary enemy

Yet you are a slave to his antics. Are your sins imaginary? Are you not a slave to lying, anger, immorality and fear of death?
Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by Image123(m): 10:34am On Feb 19, 2018
Cute9gerian:
You should rephrase that as you'll rather remain the slave of the white man's God

Who is the white man's God? You seem enslaved to the rumours that God is the white man's God. Who told you? Free yourself from mental slavery and media manipulation.
Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by hopefulLandlord: 12:07pm On Feb 19, 2018
Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by hopefulLandlord: 12:08pm On Feb 19, 2018
Image123:

Yet you are a slave to his antics. Are your sins imaginary? Are you not a slave to lying, anger, immorality and fear of death?
Lying? no

Immortality? that needs context

Anger? No!

Fear of death? no!

I'm sure you're slaves to these things though and are just looking for company wink

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by Image123(m): 1:46pm On Feb 19, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Lying? no

Immortality? that needs context

Anger? No!

Fear of death? no!

I'm sure you're slaves to these things though and are just looking for company wink

You just lied that you don't lie. Pathetic state you're in. i understand that you can't help it.
Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by Niflheim(m): 1:46pm On Feb 19, 2018
A picture is worth a thousand words!!!

5 Likes

Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by hopefulLandlord: 2:05pm On Feb 19, 2018
Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by hopefulLandlord: 2:06pm On Feb 19, 2018
Image123:

You just lied that you don't lie. Pathetic state you're in. i understand that you can't help it.

You just lied that I lied that I don't lie. Pathetic state you're in. i understand you're a slave to those things and are looking for company

3 Likes

Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by Image123(m): 4:58pm On Feb 19, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

You just lied that I lied that I don't lie. Pathetic state you're in. i understand you're a slave to those things and are looking for company

You clearly lack content and originality, another sign of mental slavery. You are so used to follow follow of what others say.
Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by hopefulLandlord: 5:09pm On Feb 19, 2018
Image123:

You clearly lack content and originality, another sign of mental slavery. You are so used to follow follow of what others say.

it would be a waste of my originality, after all you're a psychic wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by festwiz(m): 7:46pm On Feb 19, 2018
Let me sit down in this thread and laugh. Some dumb thiest will soon derail the thread in a bid to avoid the question.

OP, the bible was written by men driven by their own selfish desires. They used the excuse of "god told me" as a means of controlling the people of their time.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by hopefulLandlord: 7:54pm On Feb 19, 2018
festwiz:
Let me sit down in this thread and laugh. Some dumb thiest will soon derail the thread in a bid to avoid the question.

OP, the bible was written by men driven by their own selfish desires. They used the excuse of "god told me" as a means of controlling the people of their time.

Lmao! look at the Christian up there trying hard to deflect away from the topic wink

5 Likes

Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by danvon(m): 8:00pm On Feb 19, 2018
OtemAtum:
The Christian god called Yahweh actually messed up in that area, but we can forgive him. Let's pardon him and focus on the future of the world as nobody is above mistakes. I'm sure Yahweh would be regretting his actions in his spiritual prison by now.

@ solite, what do you have to say about your god permitting and commanding slavery?
please what is name of God you worship... Trying hard to crack that
Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by Cute9gerian: 8:45pm On Feb 19, 2018
It is you who lack content and originality,atheist,agnostic and free thinkers alike, look at a situation, analyse it and decide its true or not with the possibity of correction,change if a better theory or approach pops up, you and your religious cohorts on the other hand read a single book given to you by a white man, written by primitive men who knew not where the sun went to at night with no direct source or author,no room for correction and decided that every word in such book is infallible.if this is not mental slavery, I wonder what it is.
Image123:

1 Like

Re: Is The Christian God A God Of Slavery? by CAPSLOCKED: 8:50pm On Feb 19, 2018
BEING NON RELIGIOUS; MY MOST FAVORITE THING!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jesus Way Of Praying/christians Way Of Praying, Which Of These Is More Accurate / Are Birthday Celebrations A Sin As JW Would Have You Believe? / Filing Tax Returns On Your Tithes And Charitable Gifts, Is It Ok In God's Eyes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.