Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,999 members, 7,806,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:42 AM

Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? (2527 Views)

The Akan And Jamaicans Have 4 Genders As Do Many Non-christian Cultures / Ben Ubeh, CAN Chairman Crushed To Death In Taraba / 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by SakuraSimiola: 10:55am On Feb 19, 2018
DO YOU THINK CHRISTIANITY HAD CRUSHED OUR NATIVE CULTURES?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3oBeKCrysw
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by SakuraSimiola: 1:39pm On Feb 19, 2018
great video
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by NonsoPlatinum: 5:59pm On Feb 19, 2018
In some ways yes. But that is not all bad.
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by Nobody: 4:45am On Feb 20, 2018
See that's the thing that baffles my mind..
Culture certainly has its place, but should never supercede spirituality.
For Christians, I'm wondering where God fits into the picture in terms of respect yet still maintaining a sense of some cultural aspects?
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by SakuraSimiola: 4:33pm On Feb 20, 2018
Good question

MsNgo40:
See that's the thing that baffles my mind..
Culture certainly has its place, but should never supercede spirituality.
For Christians, I'm wondering where God fits into the picture in terms of respect yet still maintaining a sense of some cultural aspects?

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by Evangkatsoulis: 7:30pm On Feb 20, 2018
Name one good culture we have?
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by kevoh(m): 7:48pm On Feb 20, 2018
Evangkatsoulis:
Name one good culture we have?
The Edo people culture. Culture is the customs and social behaviour of a group people. It is what is used to identify an individual! There are good and negative sides in culture too. It doesn't mean Nigerian culture is crap!

Name one good religion we have and I will show you the negative sides of that religion.

Take Christianity for example, the Bible was used by Christians in the past to convince themselves that the practice of slavery is ok. As for the Quran, that one is clear for all to see.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by Evangkatsoulis: 7:54pm On Feb 20, 2018
kevoh:

The Edo people culture. Culture is the customs and social behaviour of a group people. It is what is used to identify an individual! There are good and negative sides in culture too. It doesn't mean Nigerian culture is crap!

Name one good religion we have and I will show you the negative sides of that religion.

Take Christianity for example, the Bible was used by Christians in the past to convince themselves that the practice of slavery is ok. As for the Quran, that one is clear for all to see.

How is the Edo people culture a good one? What good practices do they have?
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by SakuraSimiola: 7:59pm On Feb 20, 2018
Hahahaha

Evangkatsoulis:

Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by kevoh(m): 8:17pm On Feb 20, 2018
Evangkatsoulis:

kevoh:

Turn by turn. I need you to answer my question too before we proceed.
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by SakuraSimiola: 9:16pm On Feb 20, 2018
Is it though??
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by FeelDeMusic: 9:19pm On Feb 20, 2018
I believe that Christianity has played a roll in destroying native African cultures and religions. And, as Kevoh said, there are good and bad aspects in all cultures, not just those of Nigeria or anywhere else in Africa, and, unfortunately that seems as if that's what it's going to be for quite a while.
I myself am a culture nerd and adore studying different societies and cultures from different parts of the world and from different time periods.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:39pm On Feb 20, 2018
I wouldn't quite say Christianity destroyed our culture. There were no Isaac Newtons or Shakespeares or Beethovens among my ancestors when the colonialists came here. grin

Nevertheless, I believe these Abrahamic religions have been harmful to our national psyche. I don't care to comment on Islam as I have no life experience as a Muslim, but Christianity - especially new age Pentecostal Christianity - has swept through the modern generation espousing a perverted, insidious, pernicious influence devoid of humanistic values. Modern Pentecostal Christianity is not like what those CMS Anglican missionaries or Catholics brought to us. There is a fanaticism about Pentecostalism that cannot allow "culture" to thrive. Wole Soyinka would never have been a great author if he were falling under the "anointing" of a pastor. Neither would Achebe. Nobody that attends Lord's Chosen will ever be an accomplished visual artist or novelist or poet or composer.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by FeelDeMusic: 11:21pm On Feb 20, 2018
Obi1kenobi:
I wouldn't quite say Christianity destroyed our culture. There were no Isaac Newtons or Shakespeares or Beethovens among my ancestors when the colonialists came here. grin

Nevertheless, I believe these Abrahamic religions have been harmful to our national psyche. I don't care to comment on Islam as I have no life experience as a Muslim, but Christianity - especially new age Pentecostal Christianity - has swept through the modern generation espousing a perverted, insidious, pernicious influence devoid of humanistic values. Modern Pentecostal Christianity is not like what those CMS Anglican missionaries or Catholics brought to us. There is a fanaticism about Pentecostalism that cannot allow "culture" to thrive. Wole Soyinka would never have been a great author if he were falling under the "anointing" of a pastor. Neither would Achebe. Nobody that attends Lord's Chosen will ever be an accomplished visual artist or novelist or poet or composer.
I agree!
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by Nobody: 1:43am On Feb 21, 2018
Obi1kenobi:

well some of the so callled cultural practices Christianity crushed is worth crushing. also culture is not static it is dynamic. for us to advance as a society we need to adapt to the ever changing world.
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by FeelDeMusic: 3:13am On Feb 21, 2018
Proudgorgeousga:

well some of the so callled cultural practices Christianity crushed is worth crushing. also culture is not static it is dynamic. for us to advance as a society we need to adapt to the ever changing world.
That's true. However as I mentioned there are both good and bad things about all cultures wherever you look, not just in Africa. So people can take out the bad parts of those cultures and keep the good aspects.
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by DejiSantos: 6:52am On Feb 21, 2018
Are there parts of Christianity worth crushing?

Proudgorgeousga:

Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by hopefulLandlord: 7:12am On Feb 21, 2018
DejiSantos:

Slavery

Vanity upon vanities

etc
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by Nobody: 7:24am On Feb 21, 2018
We simply replaced one form of paganism for another.

Our people now worship ancient Arab and European deities in religions called Islam and Christianity.

However, there were many terrible aspects of our own culture such as human sacrifice, killing twin children, female circumcision, witchcraft, misogyny, stuck in ancient primitive times etc, that I am sure none of us will miss.
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:28am On Feb 21, 2018
Proudgorgeousga:

I don't disagree. That is why I said my ancestors weren't exactly churning out Shakespeares or Isaac Newtons or Beethovens or Darwins. As I said, I actually believe the Christian missionaries of the more orthodox Christian faith brought positive upheavals to our society. Their value system promoted education, secularism and humanistic pursuits.

The Pentecostal revival brought an evangelical movement of bible-thumping fanatics to Nigerian society creating programmed zombies that think of nothing else of value in life (basically "culture"wink but the church and superstitious paranoia about the "powers and principalities" wreaking havoc in your life. They have even influenced Anglicans, who are often little different from Pentecostals these days, and Catholics, many of who create "Charismatic renewal" movements to be more like Pentecostals. This failure to embrace secularism is responsible for a Nigerian society where the average citizen has no use at all for the humanistic pursuits that form the foundation for cultural expression.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by Nobody: 11:48am On Feb 21, 2018
DejiSantos:

yes
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by DejiSantos: 4:12pm On Feb 21, 2018
The way we treat homosexuals in Nigeria is part of Christian/Muslim culture.

Whether you agree with it or not.

Putting someone in jail for what they do in the privacy of their bedroom with another consenting adult is crazy.
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by FeelDeMusic: 5:37pm On Feb 22, 2018
DejiSantos:
The way we treat homosexuals in Nigeria is part of Christian/Muslim culture.

Whether you agree with it or not.

Putting someone in jail for what they do in the privacy of their bedroom with another consenting adult is crazy.
I absolutely agree with you DejiSantos. Since I'm an American the acceptance of gay and lesbian people here is a lot laxer and much more friendlier. I never did and never do judge someone based on their racial, sexual, or ethnic orientation. Everyone is beautiful no matter who they are!
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by Uyi168: 5:43pm On Feb 22, 2018
kevoh:

..Are u from edo?
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by kevoh(m): 8:13pm On Feb 22, 2018
Uyi168:
..Are u from edo?
Yes
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by Uyi168: 9:11pm On Feb 22, 2018
kevoh:
Yes
..Dormo sir
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by kevoh(m): 7:13am On Feb 23, 2018
Uyi168:
..Dormo sir
eeee Dormo. Woye...No too strong in Bini dialect. grin
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by Uyi168: 9:00am On Feb 23, 2018
kevoh:
eeee Dormo. Woye...No too strong in Bini dialect. grin
..Md too o..obowie.
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by soliq55(m): 9:37am On Feb 23, 2018
Yes it has. When you hear Ooni of Ife that is supposed to be the custodian of the gods in Yorubaland say Jesus is his dad, one can't help but think it is affecting our culture in a negative way.
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by PurpleNneoma: 7:32pm On Feb 24, 2018
tru

soliq55:
Yes it has. When you hear Ooni of Ife that is supposed to be the custodian of the gods in Yorubaland say Jesus is his dad, one can't help but think it is affecting our culture in a negative way.
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by FeelDeMusic: 9:59pm On Feb 24, 2018
Also, so-called "witch" killings are prevalent thanks to Christianity, the killing of innocint women and little children, just because a pastor says that a woman or a child is a "witch", the reasons being numorous, from the poverty of the family of this child or that belongs to the woman, to the family getting sick, the list goes on and on and on. And because of these reasons which can very, very easily be explained by logic and conclusive thinking, the pastor, or even a member of the family, must kill them, or "take the demons out of them", both of which are incredibly barbaric, inhumane, careless and heartless!!!
Yes, you can argue that Africans have had a similar mentality all throughout because more traditional religious practices had the concept of witches and of killing those who were thought to be witches. But guess what? Almost all religions, from wherever, that believed in the concept of evil sorcerers threatening or being able to threaten their lives, were unfortunately guilty of this practice. We didn't know any better back then, we thought everything was attributed to magic or any other such thing. And, now that it's the 21st century, we best move on with our lives and come to accept the fact that witches are still not real and will not come to harm people, and that killing them in the name of whatever religion is unquestionably felonious, pointless, inhumane, and frightening!

Also this thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/2705292/seeing-demons-angels-fallen-angels
Religious extremism and ignorance at its most alarming finest.....
Re: Do You Think Christianity Had Crushed Our Native Cultures? by PurpleNneoma: 10:04pm On Feb 24, 2018
Interesting

FeelDeMusic:
Also "witch" killings are prevalent yet again because Christianity has taken the minds of innocent people and turned them into predatory condemning murderers!

Yes, you can argue that Africans have had a similar mentality all throughout because more traditional religious practices had the concept of witches and of killing those who were thought to be witches. But guess what? Almost all religions, from wherever, that believed in the concept of evil sorcerers threatening or being able to threaten their lives, were unfortunately guilty of this practice. We didn't know any better back then, we thought everything was attributed to magic or any other such thing. And, now that it's the 21st century, we best move on with our lives and come to accept the fact that witches are still not real and will not come to harm people, and that killing them in the name of whatever religion is barbaric, pointless, inhumane, and cruel!

Wish I could write a song about this......

(1) (2) (Reply)

Motorcycles For Sale At An Affordable Price. 08106206317 / Are The Yoruba Ancestors Cuthans? / The Bible Says There Is No Heaven And No Hell?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.