Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,913 members, 7,799,070 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:48 PM

National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? (9290 Views)

Difference Between 2015 And 2019 Postponement Of Elections / Onnoghen: Supreme Court Justices Shun Inauguration Of Elections Tribunal / Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by JARUSHUB: 3:11pm On Feb 19, 2018

By Kurtis Adigba

Let me concede from the onset, that members of the National Assembly are empowered to make laws for the good, order, and stability of the country. That power, extends to the amendment of any existing law(s) to bring it to speed with current or existing realities. The Electoral Act, is one of such laws the NASS, can amend. That is not in doubt. However, the power of the NASS, to make or amend laws, must not be abused, or targeted at conferring specific advantages on members of the NASS.

In seeking to amend the Electoral Act, for the purpose of re-ordering the sequence of elections as announced by INEC, the NASS, argued that the order announced by INEC, which puts the holding of the presidential elections first, will have a bandwagon effect in favor of the party of the president; and will depress voters enthusiasm and turnout in subsequent elections.

As popular as these reasons maybe, it is my considered view that there cannot stand up to critical scrutiny for the following reasons:

There is no data to show that bandwagon effect was responsible for the victory of one party, and the loss of another.
President Buhari, was not the incumbent at the time of the last elections. If the bandwagon effect theory is of any validity, it should have been to the advantage of the incumbent president, Jonathan and his party, the PDP, not his outsider challenger, Buhari, that had been defeated in three previous elections. The truth of the matter, was that there was a massive waves of discontents with the PDP by the voters. They simply wanted a change from the party, and it happened that Buhari and the APC, were the candidate and party, speaking to their anxieties, and promising them inclusive prosperity. It wasn’t so much about bandwagon effect.
It is an admission albeit inadvertently by majority members of the current NASS that they were not elected on their own merits but by a spurious bandwagon effect. The question then is, are they now tired of being swept to power by the bandwagon effect? Or, have they now gathered sufficient political capital to stand on their own?
The claim of bandwagon effect, is hinged on the erroneous thinking that Nigerian voters are ignorant of the issues in elections, and do not have valid reasons for voting for some candidates and parties. The voters, will vote for any candidate running on the ticket of the party of the president. This is not true, and there are no data to support this claim. Parties and their candidates, performed to their strengths and advantages in the last elections. And there is no stronger evidence than the fact that the results were close.
The argument against bandwagon effect, can also be made against the proposal by the NASS. If we accept that the Nigerian voters do not understand the issues in the elections, and will just vote for the party with the advantage, it can be argued, and justifiably too, that the voters, will vote for the party with the majority in the National Assembly elections. The voters, will pour out, and vote for the presidential candidate of the party with the majority of elected members of the NASS. This is not true. People vote for parties and candidates for varieties of reasons.
If the bandwagon effect claims are true, do you think the majority members of the NASS, will be willing to jettison their advantage? Not at all.

The attempts by NASS to amend the Electoral Act, and re-order the sequence of the elections are selfish, and motivated by narrow political considerations, not national interests. INEC is empowered by laws to regulate its internal activities, and for the NASS, to seek to emasculate that power, is a dangerous descent to legislative rascality. If allowed, the NASS, will be in the position to prescribe to INEC the number of people it should engage to conduct elections, as well as their religion, ethnicity, height, and weight.

In the face of mounting national emergencies, how does re-ordering the sequence of elections become the most important pursuit and goal of the NASS?

source: http://www.opinions.ng/national-assemblys-quest-re-order-sequence-elections-right-wrong/

2 Likes

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by muykem: 3:24pm On Feb 19, 2018
Self serving.

3 Likes

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by Damoxy(m): 3:38pm On Feb 19, 2018
Anything they want to do that will make us have a Ghost President again in 2019 wont come to pass.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by luvinhubby(m): 3:46pm On Feb 19, 2018
In the light of Nigeria`s present reality, i support the NASS on the re-ordering seeing that it will help to allow Nigerians elect candidates for the legislative houses better than the scallywags we have there today.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by Authoreety: 5:04pm On Feb 19, 2018
Wait first....

2 Likes

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by stefanweeks: 5:04pm On Feb 19, 2018
Sh*thole
Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by nairavsdollars(f): 5:05pm On Feb 19, 2018
I support this move. He who laughs last, laughs best. Saraki is having the last laugh now while the presidency is crying like....

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by thedondada(m): 5:06pm On Feb 19, 2018
Lol

The truth is they want to dump Buhari but are afraid of dumping themselves in the same water.

When thier seats are assured they can do what they like, but if Buhari wins them they have to toe his line.

I will love to see how this plays out.

11 Likes

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by three: 5:06pm On Feb 19, 2018
If as some argue, there's no effect then why the noise.

Let the Assembly Members go first and test their popularity with their constituents who they have represented over the last 4 years.

They put themselves first. Let them go on.

Some politicians benefited from the general annoyance with GEJ and have now shown that they are no better.

31 Likes

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by UduMgbo1: 5:06pm On Feb 19, 2018
killing Buhari psychologically and emotionally is a task everyone should embark on if you still want a better tomorrow

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by lwise(m): 5:07pm On Feb 19, 2018
nairavsdollars:
T

We have crazy people everywhere, must you comment since you don't have anything to say.

I support NASS 100%.

4 Likes

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by Jalaw: 5:07pm On Feb 19, 2018
Good
Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by Desyner: 5:08pm On Feb 19, 2018
Please let there be no tampering of election sequence. Underaged voters are far more damaging than any election sequence.

3 Likes

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 5:08pm On Feb 19, 2018
To me there is no difference it won't change the fact that once you give Nigerians money and food on election day you have won.There is no bandwagon effect it's just part of misplaced priorities from our lawmakers.Let me come and be going before donstan18 quotes me.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by Odingo1: 5:08pm On Feb 19, 2018
It is Right

Presidential election is supposed to be held in a separate day not combined with others

7 Likes

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by hezy4real01(m): 5:08pm On Feb 19, 2018
Another means to lavish money.... keep deceiving yourselves

2 Likes

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Feb 19, 2018
undecided
Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by pentax(m): 5:09pm On Feb 19, 2018
It is very much in order and it is for the good of all, Buhari will not have time to influence state and National assembly elections cos he will be preparing for his own and if Apc should suffer losses in those elections, that is the end of Buhari. Back2Daura2019

7 Likes

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by bukynkwuenu: 5:11pm On Feb 19, 2018
mamanmadu Bugarri!!!!!!

sitting around for 1week won't help you....d earlier you show us ur favorite part for d kicking out...d better for u n Aisha in za oza room....

3 Likes

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by donstan18: 5:13pm On Feb 19, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
To me there is no difference it won't change the fact that once you give Nigerians money and food on election day you have won.There is no bandwagon effect it's just part of misplaced priorities from our lawmakers.Let me come and be going before donstan18 quotes me.

Lol, big head grin grin

You know i'll quote you anyday, anytime and anywhere I see you.

Comot for here jare cheesy,

My NL frenemy cheesy

1 Like

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by Ratello: 5:13pm On Feb 19, 2018
Very very right and in order. If there is need to correct what they see as excesses of the executive they are in order to address it and the executives are empowered to seek redress at the judiciary.

1 Like

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by Robisky001(m): 5:14pm On Feb 19, 2018
Anything that will send Buhari from Aso rock back to Daura is welcome.

5 Likes

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by ThankGodEdeh(m): 5:15pm On Feb 19, 2018
We cannot dispute the bandwagon effect. it is glaring for all to see.
Goodluck Jonathan won the election in the SS and SE and so also the Senators who contested under the same platform with him.
In the North and SW, Buhari and the senators who contested under the same platform won the election.
Mr. OP, I suggest you get your facts...The whole write up was anchored on half truth.

11 Likes

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by Chiedu4Trump: 5:16pm On Feb 19, 2018
Anything to get rid of Mr release Boko Haram

1 Like

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 5:16pm On Feb 19, 2018
pentax:
It is very much in order and it is for the good of all, Buhari will not have time to influence state and National assembly elections cos he will be preparing for his own and if Apc should suffer losses in those elections, that is the end of Buhari. Back2Daura2019
As much as I don't support Buhari but this back to daura is a joke for now days ago INEC released the geo political zones with the highest number of PVC collections and guess what the north west has the highest number.And you know Nigerians vote based on religion and ethnicity and with underage voting in the north its safe to say back to daura is still a dream.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by Activeman391(m): 5:17pm On Feb 19, 2018
We just want our votes to count..shikena

1 Like

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 5:18pm On Feb 19, 2018
donstan18:

Lol, big head grin grin

You know i'll quote you anyday, anytime and anywhere I see you.

Comot for here jare cheesy,

My NL frenemy cheesy

You are wicked.
Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by Apination(m): 5:22pm On Feb 19, 2018
Saraki just gave the APC the middle finger, this is the real coupundecided

1 Like

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by Nodogragra4me(m): 5:22pm On Feb 19, 2018
The reordering is best for the nation as political juggernaut in our climes tends to switch loyalty at the slightest of change in permutation in their bid to curry favour and be at the thick of actions of the party controlling the centre.

Another issue it will address is the conduct of security official for the election. When the fate of the president is not yet determined, they will not be overly zealous in working for a particular party or be turned into a unit of a particular political knowing that consequences if that party should fail to control the centre

More importantly, everybody and body who wins will have truly emerged on their personal strength and popularity with the people,nationwide .. This reordering will reduce sycophantic behavior amongst our political leaders

jraushub:

By Kurtis Adigba

Let me concede from the onset, that members of the National Assembly are empowered to make laws for the good, order, and stability of the country. That power, extends to the amendment of any existing law(s) to bring it to speed with current or existing realities. The Electoral Act, is one of such laws the NASS, can amend. That is not in doubt. However, the power of the NASS, to make or amend laws, must not be abused, or targeted at conferring specific advantages on members of the NASS.

In seeking to amend the Electoral Act, for the purpose of re-ordering the sequence of elections as announced by INEC, the NASS, argued that the order announced by INEC, which puts the holding of the presidential elections first, will have a bandwagon effect in favor of the party of the president; and will depress voters enthusiasm and turnout in subsequent elections.

As popular as these reasons maybe, it is my considered view that there cannot stand up to critical scrutiny for the following reasons:

There is no data to show that bandwagon effect was responsible for the victory of one party, and the loss of another.
President Buhari, was not the incumbent at the time of the last elections. If the bandwagon effect theory is of any validity, it should have been to the advantage of the incumbent president, Jonathan and his party, the PDP, not his outsider challenger, Buhari, that had been defeated in three previous elections. The truth of the matter, was that there was a massive waves of discontents with the PDP by the voters. They simply wanted a change from the party, and it happened that Buhari and the APC, were the candidate and party, speaking to their anxieties, and promising them inclusive prosperity. It wasn’t so much about bandwagon effect.
It is an admission albeit inadvertently by majority members of the current NASS that they were not elected on their own merits but by a spurious bandwagon effect. The question then is, are they now tired of being swept to power by the bandwagon effect? Or, have they now gathered sufficient political capital to stand on their own?
The claim of bandwagon effect, is hinged on the erroneous thinking that Nigerian voters are ignorant of the issues in elections, and do not have valid reasons for voting for some candidates and parties. The voters, will vote for any candidate running on the ticket of the party of the president. This is not true, and there are no data to support this claim. Parties and their candidates, performed to their strengths and advantages in the last elections. And there is no stronger evidence than the fact that the results were close.
The argument against bandwagon effect, can also be made against the proposal by the NASS. If we accept that the Nigerian voters do not understand the issues in the elections, and will just vote for the party with the advantage, it can be argued, and justifiably too, that the voters, will vote for the party with the majority in the National Assembly elections. The voters, will pour out, and vote for the presidential candidate of the party with the majority of elected members of the NASS. This is not true. People vote for parties and candidates for varieties of reasons.
If the bandwagon effect claims are true, do you think the majority members of the NASS, will be willing to jettison their advantage? Not at all.

The attempts by NASS to amend the Electoral Act, and re-order the sequence of the elections are selfish, and motivated by narrow political considerations, not national interests. INEC is empowered by laws to regulate its internal activities, and for the NASS, to seek to emasculate that power, is a dangerous descent to legislative rascality. If allowed, the NASS, will be in the position to prescribe to INEC the number of people it should engage to conduct elections, as well as their religion, ethnicity, height, and weight.

In the face of mounting national emergencies, how does re-ordering the sequence of elections become the most important pursuit and goal of the NASS?

source: http://www.opinions.ng/national-assemblys-quest-re-order-sequence-elections-right-wrong/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Assembly’s Quest To Re-order The Sequence Of Elections, Right Or Wrong? by donstan18: 5:22pm On Feb 19, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
You are wicked.
Awnn shocked
I'm blushing, this is the most romantic thing a lady has told me today cheesy
Come take a hug from daddy tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

Senator Ike Ekweremadu Casting His Vote At His Polling Unit / I Am Not Afraid Of Court Case - Secondus / Ondo-Central Hold Walk For Tinubu/Shettima

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.