Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,128 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:33 AM

What Is God? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is God? (9811 Views)

Is God Really Omniscience? Does He Know Everything? / Jesus Christ Is God Almighty :ask Me Anything!! / Is God Sovereign? - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is God? by Emmanystone: 9:08pm On Feb 23, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
Male bonding
I already said.
But you said females aren't excluded.
You guys seems to be playing a game outside of here.

Anyways, let me mind my business.
Re: What Is God? by godisgood200: 9:13pm On Feb 23, 2018
budaatum:

A level headed atheist! Cheers to future gists.
Yes, i said that because, you actually converse instead of cuss. Them atheists here are flimsy and petty and. They start up threads, when Christians comment they respond with cusses.

One medal goes to ... TheHumanistHim.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 10:54pm On Feb 23, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
Male bonding
I already said.
Lol!
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 10:57pm On Feb 23, 2018
Emmanystone:

Don't mind him. Cold is wiring his ass.
Re: What Is God? by Emmanystone: 11:07pm On Feb 23, 2018
budaatum:

Don't mind him. Cold is wiring his ass.
Oh, you guys are playing Chess online.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by MuttleyLaff: 6:24am On Feb 24, 2018
Emmanystone:

budaatum:
Don't mind him.
Cold is wiring his ass.

Emmanystone:
Oh, you guys are playing Chess online.
It wasnt a secret
Even before I posted that "females aren't necessarily excluded and so welcomed too", the earlier invite was open to all
Re: What Is God? by Emmanystone: 8:17am On Feb 24, 2018
MuttleyLaff:

It wasnt a secret
Even before I posted that "females aren't necessarily excluded and so welcomed too", the earlier invite was open to all
I didn't see the invite. I don't understand the rules of Chess, so can't play it and won't enjoy it even if i watched you guys. So, enjoy your bonding.

Good morning brother.
Re: What Is God? by MuttleyLaff: 9:00am On Feb 24, 2018
Emmanystone:
I didn't see the invite. I don't understand the rules of Chess, so can't play it and won't enjoy it even if i watched you guys. So, enjoy your bonding
I didn't either understand the rules before too.
As a matter of fact, I wasn't even taught how to play it.
I learnt how to, from my uni days, watching guys come to play in my room then and asking questions, like, so that's how that moves erh etcetera, at which whoever I ask, replies back in affirmative.

The rule(s) is about going through a process of annihilation and the goal is to bring the king's head back, hung on a stake.

It's enjoying to watch, as much as playing it, is

Emmanystone:
Good morning brother.
Top of the day to you sister.
Re: What Is God? by Emmanystone: 9:27am On Feb 24, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
I didn't either understand the rules before too.
As a matter of fact, I wasn't even taught how to play it.
I learnt how to, from my uni days, watching guys come to play in my room then and asking questions, like, so that's how that moves erh etcetera, at which whoever I ask, replies back in affirmative.

The rule(s) is about going through a process of annihilation and the goal is to bring the king's head back, hung on a stake.

It's enjoying to watch as much as playing it, is

Top of the day to you sister.
Yes sir. I love to watch the game of Tennis because i know their rules. Love Snooker too.i love soccer. These shd do lol
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 11:35pm On Feb 19, 2019
budaatum:

This is a secret, so don't tell anyone please. But if I had a god, this is one thread where I will scream it from the mountaintop, if I were that way inclined, and if anyone questioned me about my god, I will tell them to go suck on something for I do not have to justify my god to anyone!
But that shouldn't preclude me from saying what god is to me, so, here goes.

God fills gaps. Sorry theists, but it's a fact. When many try to describe what God is, you would find a gap of ignorance being filled. Take the creation of the universe for instance. Rather than claim, "I don't know how the universe was created", a religious person would claim God done it, but if they were honest, they would admit that they believe God done it, thereby filling a gap in their ignorance. The truth is, no one knows how the universe came into existence billions of years ago, but since it seems to work so well, it is logical to assume something was behind the existence of the universe, hence, God fills the gap.

A reading of the Christian scripture clearly states that no one has ever seen God. Jesus never showed anyone any God either, not even the Kingdom of God did he show. And as for Jesus being God, I'm afraid I do not get that from my Bible. To me, Jesus was the embodiment of God, and by that I mean he so followed what was taught in the God books of his day and time that he was as close to God as many got. He even went as far as saving many by teaching them better ways to exist and relate to one another, and in my opinion, worshipping him is meaningless if by worship, "do my will" is not meant. The clue for this is in his "even moreso than I have done shall you do", which includes even raising the dead and living everlastingly, which, considering people died before their 40th birthday in his day, our comfortable 70 years more than qualifies. As to evidence of raising the dead, go to a hospital and you might get my gist. Doctors save people's lives everyday through the knowledge that they have acquired.

To claim God is anything in particular is tantamount to creating an image, which we humans are very fond of. When we ask someone what their religion is, we are asking so we know what image of them we may hold in our heads. However, humans are not simple images as you may be able to tell by considering the little we know of even those who are very close to us. Yet, we can't help with our image making it would seem, for making images we must, with recognition that since our knowledge of God is limited and a gap filler, to claim God is any one thing in particular, is limiting God to our limited knowledge of God, when in truth, God is way much more than we conceive with our limited minds.

So, with that in mind, I am offering 951 Names and Titles of God as what God may be conceived to be, along with a pdf download of One Hundred Names for God according to Katrina's Dream and Names of God in Islam. You may not agree with them all, but I'm certain you'd find a few that fit any conception of God that you might have ever conceived.

Do note though that God is in no way limited to all or any of these 'whats' that God is listed as being! In truth, we are figuring out daily what God is, and increasing in knowledge everyday. And to claim to know what God actually is, is just as foolish as saying, there is no God, in my opinion. For no one has truly seen God (unless you have, of course).

As to my screaming it from the mountaintop if I were that way inclined, I'm waiting to know what to scream since I am that way inclined.
Re: What Is God? by Nobody: 1:17am On Aug 28, 2019
I haven't gone through all the pages yet... but my 4 legged stool follows grin

1. I I am that I am (soul)
2. Me (body)
3. Myself (mind)

These are all versions of the God that dwells in this human body; It's a trinity (Body, mind and soul)

4. gods

You need not worship me because you are another version of the above.

If I sound mad then I'm on the right track cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 10:01am On Jun 04, 2021
budaatum:

But that shouldn't preclude me from saying what god is to me, so, here goes.

God fills gaps. Sorry theists, but it's a fact. When many try to describe what God is, you would find a gap of ignorance being filled. Take the creation of the universe for instance. Rather than claim, "I don't know how the universe was created", a religious person would claim God done it, but if they were honest, they would admit that they believe God done it, thereby filling a gap in their ignorance. The truth is, no one knows how the universe came into existence billions of years ago, but since it seems to work so well, it is logical to assume something was behind the existence of the universe, hence, God fills the gap.

A reading of the Christian scripture clearly states that no one has ever seen God. Jesus never showed anyone any God either, not even the Kingdom of God did he show. And as for Jesus being God, I'm afraid I do not get that from my Bible. To me, Jesus was the embodiment of God, and by that I mean he so followed what was taught in the God books of his day and time that he was as close to God as many got. He even went as far as saving many by teaching them better ways to exist and relate to one another, and in my opinion, worshipping him is meaningless if by worship, "do my will" is not meant. The clue for this is in his "even moreso than I have done shall you do", which includes even raising the dead and living everlastingly, which, considering people died before their 40th birthday in his day, our comfortable 70 years more than qualifies. As to evidence of raising the dead, go to a hospital and you might get my gist. Doctors save people's lives everyday through the knowledge that they have acquired.

To claim God is anything in particular is tantamount to creating an image, which we humans are very fond of. When we ask someone what their religion is, we are asking so we know what image of them we may hold in our heads. However, humans are not simple images as you may be able to tell by considering the little we know of even those who are very close to us. Yet, we can't help with our image making it would seem, for making images we must, with recognition that since our knowledge of God is limited and a gap filler, to claim God is any one thing in particular, is limiting God to our limited knowledge of God, when in truth, God is way much more than we conceive with our limited minds.

So, with that in mind, I am offering 951 Names and Titles of God as what God may be conceived to be, along with a pdf download of One Hundred Names for God according to Katrina's Dream and Names of God in Islam. You may not agree with them all, but I'm certain you'd find a few that fit any conception of God that you might have ever conceived.

Do note though that God is in no way limited to all or any of these 'whats' that God is listed as being! In truth, we are figuring out daily what God is, and increasing in knowledge everyday. And to claim to know what God actually is, is just as foolish as saying, there is no God, in my opinion. For no one has truly seen God (unless you have, of course).

As to my screaming it from the mountaintop if I were that way inclined, I'm waiting to know what to scream since I am that way inclined.
Re: What Is God? by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:15pm On Jun 04, 2021
The title God simply means "Supreme Being"
There are unseen supernatural forces around us, they are known as spirits, they all possess the ability to manipulate lesser intelligent beings (humans) into doing unimaginable things any of this spirits that's able to gather humans and make them perform certain sacred services is their God.
That's why Apostle Paul explained that "their are many Gods" {1Corinthians 8:5} and just as different spirits have been gathering worshipers for themselves throughout the earth there is another God (spirit) bringing his own followers together too for the purpose of worshiping him in spirit and truth {John 4:24} this spirit claims to be the Almighty God.
So it's left to each individual whether you'll try to ascertain the God you're worshiping or just take it for granted that once you're nice to people you're already worshiping the Almighty God. smiley
Re: What Is God? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jun 04, 2021
God is a name.
But the thing(unknown) that the word(God) tries to describe is too much
For the human mind to understand,
Because when you try to define IT with a
Word; you lose IT.
When you try to grasp running water it
Simply flows away from your palm.

Now it should be noted that i could refer
You to a host of spiritual books to answer your question, but books cannot
Give you the answer.

Oh! And to answer your question, the
answer is:
I DON'T KNOW.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 9:26pm On Jun 04, 2021
God is the universal consciousness...
Re: What Is God? by xproducer: 5:15pm On Jun 06, 2021
budaatum:
This question was asked of me by MuttleyLaff here. I have created a thread for it to share it with others who may not wish to derail John's Gospel.

His question has provoked thought in me and I believe it would provoke thought in you too. So, no knee jerks please. Think before you respond.

What is God?

-----------------

"God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.” - John 4:24
Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 6:24pm On Jun 06, 2021
xproducer:

-----------------

"God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.” - John 4:24

When was the last time you conversed with a spirit?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 8:50pm On Jun 06, 2021
Ayo13945:
God is a name.
But the thing(unknown) that the word(God) tries to describe is too much
For the human mind to understand,
Because when you try to define IT with a
Word; you lose IT.
When you try to grasp running water it
Simply flows away from your palm.

Now it should be noted that i could refer
You to a host of spiritual books to answer your question, but books cannot
Give you the answer.

Oh! And to answer your question, the
answer is:
I DON'T KNOW.

You have a brain in your head that is your mind and you definitely know how to use it, and I respect you immensely for it.

You fully understand the Law of God, and I thank you very much for existing.

Re: What Is God? by xproducer: 7:20pm On Jun 07, 2021
sonmvayina:

When was the last time you conversed with a spirit?

=======

I'm sure you'd like to know...

Read about the persistent widow in Luke 18:1-7!

"Surely the Lord God does nothing, Unless He reveals His secret to His servants the prophets." - Amos 3:7

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." - Hebrews 11:6

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 5:45pm On Apr 17, 2022
sonmvayina:
God is the totality of the consciousness of the universe....

Explain, son.

What is "the totality of the consciousness of the universe"?

I'm asking because you've kept repeating it and it would be bad of me to assume to know what you mean when I don't, though I certain I've asked you this before.
Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 8:30pm On Apr 17, 2022
budaatum:

Explain, son.

What is "the totality of the consciousness of the universe"?

I'm asking because you've kept repeating it and it would be bad of me to assume to know what you mean when I don't, though I certain I've asked you this before.

Yes you have and I remember answering you.

I will answer you;

The original rendering of the Genesis creation account is
"And God formed man, from the DUST of the earth and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a conciouse being...

Earlier it says "let us (God +earth ) make man in our image after our likeness"..
The earth provides the dust for the body and God makes it conciouse.
God is consciousness....personified.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 9:19pm On Apr 17, 2022
sonmvayina:

Yes you have and I remember answering you.

I will answer you;

The original rendering of the Genesis creation account is
"And God formed man, from the DUST of the earth and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a conscious being...

Earlier it says "let us (God +earth ) make man in our image after our likeness"..
The earth provides the dust for the body and God makes it conscious.
God is consciousness....personified.

That's an interesting take. A talking earth and an imaginary god, yet hard to argue that the earth (plus the sun, I dare add) didn't have a hand in human creation, especially since we agree the text is not for believing.

Are you aware that the text also says one must not create images of God, which is what you'be done in claiming "God is consciousness"?

Might that not be because the word God represents an indeterminable thing (or idea)?
Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 1:25pm On Apr 18, 2022
budaatum:

That's an interesting take. A talking earth and an imaginary god, yet hard to argue that the earth (plus the sun, I dare add) didn't have a hand in human creation, especially since we agree the text is not for believing.

Are you aware that the text also says one must not create images of God, which is what you'be done in claiming "God is consciousness"?

Might that not be because the word God represents an indeterminable thing (or idea)?

Have you seen the shape or image of consciousness?

Lol, you are very funny..

You really want to learn, but your ignorance still keeps getting on the way..do something about it...
Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 1:47pm On Apr 18, 2022
godisgood200:

Are you trying to mix Epic Gilgamesh with the Bible? Lol.

They are one and the same thing..

The same story..the only difference is who is telling it...
Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 2:03pm On Apr 18, 2022
God is the universe itself. Often viewed as a singular unit. The ancient babylonian called it Marduk, the jews calls it Hashem, the igbos calls it chukwu, the yorubas calls it Eledumare, the binis calls it Osanobua, the Egyptians calls it Ra....etc. same idea different nomenclature. It is the universal consciousness..personified and embodied.

gods on the other hand, sometimes referred to as the sons of God referes to the laws and principles of life or nature.

We are part of God and God is part of God. If for this argument the devil actually exist, he is part of God he can't be an equal opposite of God. In other belief system, where the idea was borrowed, the devil refers to darkness. And often times symbolized by a man with a goat head(Baphomet)or the moon.

As part of God, I recognize my role in the scheme of things. The best I can do is maintain it by following the best optimum rule to achieve it. I recognize the desire to live in nature. The power that ensure the survival is what I refer to as God..
The only worship that I can give is obey the laws of nature to live optimally within the matrix....
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 2:16pm On Apr 18, 2022
sonmvayina:

Have you seen the shape or image of consciousness?

Lol, you are very funny..

You really want to learn, but your ignorance still keeps getting on the way..do something about it...

I don't understand why the rudeness. You were made conscious of it a while ago but still seem unconscious of it. Am I not doing something about my ignorance by asking you questions?

I may not have seen the "shape or image of consciousness", but I have seen consciousness itself. I mean, you are not an unconscious rock after all, but a conscious being with a shape that I clearly see.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 2:21pm On Apr 18, 2022
sonmvayina:
God is the universe itself. Often viewed as a singular unit. The ancient babylonian called it Marduk, the jews calls it Hashem, the igbos calls it chukwu, the yorubas calls it Eledumare, the binis calls it Osanobua, the Egyptians calls it Ra....etc. same idea different nomenclature. It is the universal consciousness..personified and embodied.

gods on the other hand, sometimes referred to as the sons of God referes to the laws and principles of life or nature.

We are part of God and God is part of God. If for this argument the devil actually exist, he is part of God he can't be an equal opposite of God. In other belief system, where the idea was borrowed, the devil refers to darkness. And often times symbolized by a man with a goat head(Baphomet)or the moon.

As part of God, I recognize my role in the scheme of things. The best I can do is maintain it by following the best optimum rule to achieve it. I recognize the desire to live in nature. The power that ensure the survival is what I refer to as God..
The only worship that I can give is obey the laws of nature to live optimally within the matrix....
Now, how I wish I can say you create like a "part of God", but I guess if you model yourself after Yahweh, the God who has not yet managed to tame his demon, one should not be surprised at you destroying with rudeness.

Do you think Gods evolve, son, as in, grow over time before they eventually die off?
Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 3:42pm On Apr 18, 2022
budaatum:

Now, how I wish I can say you create like a "part of God", but I guess if you model yourself after Yahweh, the God who has not yet managed to tame his demon, one should not be surprised at you destroying with rudeness.

Do you think Gods evolve, son, as in, grow over time.before they eventually die off?

Nooooooooooooooooo

Gods don't die...
Does the moon evolve?
Does death evolve?
Does envy evolve?

People just loose the original ritual on how to reverence them...just as most yorubas loose the ritual on how to please Sango....

Yaweh is NOT the Jewish God.. but cannanite..
Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 3:47pm On Apr 18, 2022
budaatum:

I don't understand why the rudeness. You were made conscious of it a while ago but still seem unconscious of it. Am I not doing something about my ignorance by asking you questions?

I may not have seen the "shape or image of consciousness", but I have seen consciousness itself. I mean, you are not an unconscious rock after all, but a conscious being with a shape that I clearly see.

Have you been opportune to witness the last moment of anybody?

Did you see the consciousness leave?.

It leaves and becomes part of the universe..

Sorry if I came our strong...not my intention
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 4:00pm On Apr 18, 2022
sonmvayina:

Nooooooooooooooooo

Gods don't die...
Does the moon evolve?
Does death evolve?
Does envy evolve?

People just loose the original ritual on how to reverence them...just as most yorubas loose the ritual on how to please Sango....

Yaweh is NOT the Jewish God.. but cannanite..

That is how and why they are said to have died, sonm. Once you "loose the ritual on how to please", it just dies off like most dead gods fickle humans forget to worship. Gods live because we humans give life to them.

Kind of shows who the gods are. Those who create them kill them once their use by date passes. A reason for Easter, actually. A ritual to remind of the resurrection of the god, which you'd find in most religions, hence, Easter's "Christ is risen! He is risen indeed! Aleluya amen".

What is Christ, Sonm?
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 4:10pm On Apr 18, 2022
sonmvayina:

Have you been opportune to witness the last moment of anybody?

Did you see the consciousness leave?.

It leaves and becomes part of the universe..

Sorry if I came our strong...not my intention

Depends what you mean by "consciousness leave".

My maternal grandfather became much less conscious over the last couple of years of his living. A man who once knew all his grandchildren by name reverted to calling everyone ọmọ, and by the last few months of his life he was not conscious of his mouth and his ass.

Yes, I've been "opportuned to witness the last moment of anybody", and seen "consciousness leave". Ma was a nurse, so I spent lots of time in hospitals.
Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 8:40am On Apr 19, 2022
budaatum:

Depends what you mean by "consciousness leave".

My maternal grandfather became much less conscious over the last couple of years of his living. A man who once knew all his grandchildren by name reverted to calling everyone ọmọ, and by the last few months of his life he was not conscious of his mouth and his ass.

Yes, I've been "opportuned to witness the last moment of anybody", and seen "consciousness leave". Ma was a nurse, so I spent lots of time in hospitals.

What was the image of the thing that left?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Understanding The "Grace Of God" And The "Gospel Of Grace" / What I Learnt In Church Today / Where Are You Worshipping At Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.